Community Forum

X1 tv box

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

X1 tv box

I have a 4K TV. I have tried multiple X1 boxes and always revert to my old tv box. The picture quality is much better with the old box. This is true because I am able to select “Native resolution” in my settings. Are there any X1 or X1 4K boxes that allow for this selection? I have tried multiple boxes and every combo of settings and the old box always has the better picture. I want the original signal not to be converted in anyway so my TV can do the upscaling.

Thanks for your help.

Expert

Re: X1 tv box

@tmac wrote:

I have a 4K TV. I have tried multiple X1 boxes and always revert to my old tv box. The picture quality is much better with the old box. This is true because I am able to select “Native resolution” in my settings. Are there any X1 or X1 4K boxes that allow for this selection? I have tried multiple boxes and every combo of settings and the old box always has the better picture. I want the original signal not to be converted in anyway so my TV can do the upscaling.

Thanks for your help.

no. best practice is to put in 720p or 1080p never 1080i 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes I understand that all channels are 720. If I choose to have the box upconvert to 1080 I end up with more artifacts. Even with my old box if I choose 720 over native resolution the picture quality is far less than the Native resolution. This tells me the box is doing some sort of converting. So, is there an X1 box with passthrough native resolution?

Expert

@tmac wrote:

Yes I understand that all channels are 720. If I choose to have the box upconvert to 1080 I end up with more artifacts. Even with my old box if I choose 720 over native resolution the picture quality is far less than the Native resolution. This tells me the box is doing some sort of converting. So, is there an X1 box with passthrough native resolution?

only channels originally in 1080i (local channels) should have artifacts. the 720p to 1080p is just image resizing (each image). I wish it had native too fwiw.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... only channels originally in 1080i (local channels) should have artifacts. the 720p to 1080p is just image resizing (each image). ...

How do you convert 720 line video to 1080 line video without introducing artifacts?

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... only channels originally in 1080i (local channels) should have artifacts. the 720p to 1080p is just image resizing (each image). ...

How do you convert 720 line video to 1080 line video without introducing artifacts?

720p has full complete 'frames'. it is just blowing up the individual frames to increase to 1080p (not same for 1080i).

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: 720p has full complete 'frames'. ...

Yes, and each of those frames has 720 lines, whereas a 1080p frame has 1080 lines. Again I ask, how do you convert 720 line video into 1080 line video without introducing artifacts?

I'm afraid it just isn't possible. No matter how you slice it, 720 != 1080.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: 720p has full complete 'frames'. ...

Yes, and each of those frames has 720 lines, whereas a 1080p frame has 1080 lines. Again I ask, how do you convert 720 line video into 1080 line video without introducing artifacts?

I'm afraid it just isn't possible. No matter how you slice it, 720 != 1080.

other than an experimental TV station no one broadcasts 1080p.  

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... other than an experimental TV station no one broadcasts 1080p.  

I never said that they did. You introduced 1080p when you said, incorrectly, "720p to 1080p is just image resizing". It isn't.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... other than an experimental TV station no one broadcasts 1080p.  

I never said that they did. You introduced 1080p when you said, incorrectly, "720p to 1080p is just image resizing". It isn't.

the converting of 720p to 1080p output is just image(s) resizing. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... the converting of 720p to 1080p output is just image(s) resizing. 

So you have said, several times. Yes, you can "resize" an image with 720 lines into an image with 1080 lines. But what you have not indicated is how to do that resizing, as you have claimed, without introducing artifacts. If you think that's possible, please indicate how. You have to add 360 lines to the 720 line image to get a 1080 line image. Where do those extra 360 lines come from?

Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... the converting of 720p to 1080p output is just image(s) resizing. 

So you have said, several times. Yes, you can "resize" an image with 720 lines into an image with 1080 lines. But what you have not indicated is how to do that resizing, as you have claimed, without introducing artifacts. If you think that's possible, please indicate how. You have to add 360 lines to the 720 line image to get a 1080 line image. Where do those extra 360 lines come from?

Artifacts?  My older Samsung 3D TV does the upconvert from 720 to 1080 and I haven't seen any artifacts.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... My older Samsung 3D TV does the upconvert from 720 to 1080 and I haven't seen any artifacts.

I'm glad it does a good job for you, but whether you have noticed them or not, I assure you that you have seen artifacts. Again I ask, where do those extra 360 lines come from? The set adds them by processing the 720 line image. Since those lines were not present in the image the set received, by definition, they are artifacts.

Expert

using a modern cell you can use your fingers to blow up an image (zoom). same concept. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: using a modern cell you can use your fingers to blow up an image (zoom). same concept. 

That's nice, but, in a probably vain attempt to return to my original quesiton, how do you convert 720 line video to 1080 line video without introducing artifacts? Note: "blow up the image" is not really an answer. A funhouse mirror can "blow up" an image, but not without artifacts.

Official Employee

Tmac, to answer your original question, no there isn’t an X1 box with native settings.

This spiraling out of topic thread is now closed.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.