Community Forum

X1 system with three DVR's and two XG2's. - recording too many shows at once?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

X1 system with three DVR's and two XG2's. - recording too many shows at once?

We use three DVR's so we can record all the shows we watch later.  Last night, I had my first issue with this setup; I was watching one live program and was prompted to cancel a recording.

My assumption is that I tried to use more than 6 tuners on that box because I was recording 6 shows at once.

Is it true that the way to "fix" this is to schedule recordings on more than one DVR?  It appears that if I start 6 recordings on one DVR, "Whole Home DVR" isn't designed to use other tuners on other DVR's.

In other words, I'm trying to record AND WATCH more shows than one DVR can handle.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: X1 system with three DVR's and two XG2's. - recording too many shows at once?

Hi @RobertWy

You are correct. Because all of your tuners were being used this is why you were asked to cancel one. It sounds like each XG2 is linked to one of the DVRs or both of them is linked to one DVR. 

Since you have 3 DVR's if you try setting other shows to record on the third one, does the same thing happen? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 system with three DVR's and two XG2's. - recording too many shows at once?

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hi @RobertWy

You are correct. Because all of your tuners were being used this is why you were asked to cancel one. It sounds like each XG2 is linked to one of the DVRs or both of them is linked to one DVR. 

Since you have 3 DVR's if you try setting other shows to record on the third one, does the same thing happen? 

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, it appears I will have to spread my recordings around so this doesn't happen during the busy fall season.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Ok, let me know if you run into any problems when trying it on the other DVR, but you should be ok. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

@ComcastChe wrote:

Ok, let me know if you run into any problems when trying it on the other DVR, but you should be ok. 

I went to the guide channels 400+ area, and recorded 9-10 channels manually (hot recordings) on my only xg1v4 (have 3 xg011's too). How would you be able to adjust scheduled recordings? the scheduler uses the most 'empty' as it places recordings for the current day (we were told). very interesting.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@ComcastChe wrote:

I went to the guide channels 400+ area, and recorded 9-10 channels manually (hot recordings) on my only xg1v4 (have 3 xg011's too). How would you be able to adjust scheduled recordings? the scheduler uses the most 'empty' as it places recordings for the current day (we were told). very interesting.

No clue to your question other than maybe schedule several shows on each box to spread them out?