Community Forum

X1 signal pixelating, then freezing, then no signal

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

X1 signal pixelating, then freezing, then no signal

My picture begins to randomly pixelate/audio drops in and out in the early afternoon. It starts slowly and increases until unwatchable.  Sometimes the picture will freeze and/or screen will go black.  Then I get a whole host of error messages when tuning to other channels, mostly XRE 00021 and XRE 03059.  Happens on all channels I check, some worse than others. This can last from a couple of minutes per episode to 15 minutes, and then picture will be perfect again. This happens 2-3 times an hour. This lasts all afternoon/early evening and begins to improve around 9-10. There are never any issues in the morning.

I have a non-DVR X1 box and 1 satellite X1 box and 1 Gateway modem.  Main line splits at the box outside, which has a Comcast installed amp.  All lines then run directly to wall outlets. No further splits.  I replaced all the wall to device coax with cable that came with the X1 equipment.  I have done the all the reboot/refresh/reconnect drills.

From Diagnostics/Summary/In-Band Network, when picture is good, all my 4 Tuners SNR (db) values are between 39.2 and 40.3.   Carrier Locks all = found. When picture is frozen or black screen all drop to SNR = 0.0 with some Carrier Locks = waiting.  No significant or zero difference in the other values on this screen.

From System/DOCSIS, the measurements don't change whether good or bad picture.  Downstream Power = 2.1.  Downstream SNR = 40.3.  Upstream Power = 42.3.  These seem to be in spec from what I have read here.

All these measurements were taken within a few minutes of going good to bad about 5:30pm. Anyone have an idea of probable cause here beyond just a signal issue.  I am going to schedule a tech, just want to be informed before they arrive.  Thanks for your time.

Bad picture In-Band Network First and good second:

X1 Tuners Bad.jpg

X1 Tuners Good.jpg

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 signal pixelating, then freezing, then no signal

Does your internet drop or slow down when the tv drops? Those codes are tuner error codes. Could be outside, could be the amp failing, could be a neighbor’s house back feeding noise out to the plant but since it happens most often late in the day, book your appointment for close to that time.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, the internet speed does decrease but never completely disconnects. Is that consistent with what you described as potentail issues?

Diamond Problem Solver

Absolutely, the X1 boxes use the same docsis channels as your modem. If the SNR is dropping like you stated, it will affect both.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I just had this issue after upgrading my Xfinity service. After 3 visits it was finally determined that the signal booster the 1st technician installed was causing the noise on the line and thus the pixelation. Once that was removed from equation, everything is fine. They arent even sure why he installed it in the 1st place. This is the 2nd time they have completely rewired a house only to find out it was the signal booster. Hope this helps you out.
New Poster

To clarify, I think they called the signal booster a signal Amplifier.