Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 self-install advice

Frequent Visitor

X1 self-install advice

Hi all!

For years I've had only Internet through Comcast (no splitter for TV)

I've recently upgraded my service to add the X1 DVR and several of the smaller non-DVR's.

Right now, with Internet only, the main cable line comes up out of the ground and goes into a filter of some kind (about 2" long - says "347" on it and "filter required for multi-room"), after which there's about 75ft of coax going along the house outside and then in through the 2nd story wall into the room with the cable modem.

Because I already had internet (my own modem) I never received the wifi/wireless kit which comes with a splitter, so I'll need to get one from the local Comcast office.

What should I do with the "347" filter? Take it off and just add the splitter? Maybe put it BEFORE the splitter? After it on the Internet side?

I'm sure the thing was added to get my levels right for an "Internet only" wiring setup, so now I'm not sure exactly what to do to make sure the levels for both TV and Internet are good (and does the X1 handle all the MOCA stuff itself or is there some kind of MOCA device/booster/filter  that needs to be in the line somewhere?)

If all else fails I'll have to pay for a tech to come out to do the install and check the levels, but I thought I'd check with everyone here in case there's a chance I can avoid the extra $$ for the service.

Thanks everyone!

-Greg

Official Employee

Re: X1 self-install advice

Do you have cable going to the other rooms, so you know what type of splitter that you need?
That 347 may be a moca filter and should stay put where it is, with the splitter coming after it. Without seeing I don’t know for sure what it is.
I’m a tech, I’ll try to walk you through it best I can either on this thread or through private message
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the fast reply!

I've attached a pic of the filter - maybe that will help you identify it? Would be strange if it had anything to do with MOCA as the tech knew I was internet-only...?

I already have a 5-way splitter to handle all the various feeds to the other rooms (and the X1)...I believe each of the 5 outputs says something like "-7.5db".

The TV feed from the main 2-way splitter (that I will pick up from Comcast) will go into this existing 5-way splitter to feed the rooms (and the X1).

What I'm not sure about is if the X1 DVR needs a "special" feed, or if you simply hook it up to any one of the 5 outputs that also feed the other rooms...?

I say this because I currently have Dish, and they use a special 2-way splitter that the dish feed goes into first...one output is specifically for the Hopper, and the other output feeds into the 5-way splitter to feed the other rooms.

I will obviously remove this special 2-way Hopper filter when I switch to Comcast, but I didn't know if the X1 just takes the same signal I will feed to the other rooms, or if it needs a special "X1 only" feed like the Hopper did...?

Thanks!

-Greg

filter.jpeg
Official Employee

That is a Moca filter, nothing to do with signal levels.

The only problem you may run into is if that 5 way splitter isn't capable of passing Moca.

If there are issues with that splitter, the better option would be to get a hold of an amp like one of these so everything is homeran.

true.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

Is this amp something Comcast will supply if I have them come out and hook things up and they see that I need a 5-way splitter? Or can I pick one up at the Comcast store when I pick up the main 2-way splitter? (I seem to remember that Comcast has always supplied splitters and amps free of charge when I've been hooked up in the past...)

Thanks!

-Greg

Official Employee

Techs will have them, Xfinity stores won’t.
Frequent Visitor

Hopefully the stores will at least have the 2-way splitter...? 

-Greg

Frequent Visitor

Do you think this 5-1002MHz splitter will be OK to split the main feed into TV and Internet?

I think this may be from a previous Comcast install...

Thanks much!

-Greg

image1.jpeg
Official Employee

Yep, those are what are used everyday