Community Forum

X1 picture pixelated and choppy sound after updates

Contributor

X1 picture pixelated and choppy sound after updates

For the past month I have been having issues in all TV's, though only 1 out of 4 at a time, where after the nightly refresh the picture on every channel is broken up pixelated and choppy sound. I mean like a broken arcade game picture quality with giant pixelated cubes and undecipherable sound. No unplugging of cable box or system refresh will solve. I have to wait for it to work itself out. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes. Other times it could be 30 minutes and I have to go to a different room and watch different tv.
The Xfinity app shows no outages or problems and all equipment fine
Signal strength is excellent. A complete refresh does not help.
What is the reason for this? Digital signals are either On if Off so a heavily broken up image and sound makes no sense especially when it is occurring in various TV's in my house.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Expert

Re: X1 picture pixelated and choppy sound after updates

Neverendingmods wrote:
For the past month I have been having issues in all TV's, though only 1 out of 4 at a time, where after the nightly refresh the picture on every channel is broken up pixelated and choppy sound. I mean like a broken arcade game picture quality with giant pixelated cubes and undecipherable sound. No unplugging of cable box or system refresh will solve. I have to wait for it to work itself out. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes. Other times it could be 30 minutes and I have to go to a different room and watch different tv.
The Xfinity app shows no outages or problems and all equipment fine
Signal strength is excellent. A complete refresh does not help.
What is the reason for this? Digital signals are either On if Off so a heavily broken up image and sound makes no sense especially when it is occurring in various TV's in my house.
Anyone else experiencing this?

have you contacted Comcast at 800-Comcast and let them run diagnostic tests on your set top boxes? If necessary, they can arrange for a home visit to fix any/all issues causing your viewing problems.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Hi Neverendingmods, 

I can help look into your service issues. I'd like to take a look at your equipment and other things on the backend to isolate the cause of this problem. Can you please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe", then click on private message.

In the body of this message, please verify the first and last name of the account holder and the street address associated with your services.

Contributor

Thanks, but right now I think I fixed the problem. I checked every connection on side of house where 1 splitter is close to main line. Just a 2 way splitter. Checked all the box/tv cables. Then, finally, I checked the last 2 way splitter that was changed out by a tech maybe 2 yrs ago inside behind a couch. This splitter does the 2 TV's I use most and saw the issues most often on. Because of having replaced my router/modem twice after getting X1 platform to get best experience and least problems I have new splitters I kept on hand.
Well, no more issues and I don't see any uncorrected codewords in my router info like I was.
So, will see if problems stay away. I was getting the pixelation only after nightly X1 updates and why I didn't think of a bad wire or splitter somewhere. But appears exactly what it was.

If happens again I will message you ComcastChe.
Thank you for replying and offering help. I was running out of self diagnostics to do but decided as last resort before calling to try replacing each splitter 1 by 1 myself. I got lucky it was 1st splitter I changed out it appears as not 1 pixelation issue or error message of "seems to be having problems.....".
Cheers!
Official Employee

Hi Neverendingmods, thank you for the update and glad you were able to narrow down and fix the issue, and sounds like a plan please let us know if you have any questions in the future.

Thank you for your time