Community Forum

X1 on demand rentals not showing in purchases - cant resume a rental

Frequent Visitor

X1 on demand rentals not showing in purchases - cant resume a rental

Myself and my wife had this issue just last night.

Ok my wife wanted to rent an older movie "He's just not that into you" and watch it by herself while i was doing my own thing in another room. Fine. Rented the movie, she starts watching it. 10 minutes in she goes to get a drink and pauses the movie. She takes a bit too long and it times out and goes back to live TV. No problem i say just go to purchases section and it should show the movie since it was rented for 48 hour time frame. Go to purchases, nothing there. You have no purchases at this time is on the screen. Go to recently watched. Prompts me to rent it again, even though we just rented it. Called comcast and this seems to be a known issue that is being "fixed". I have to call the billing department to credit me the 2.99 we spent to rent it the first time and rent it again so she can watch the movie. Now any time we rent anything from on demand that is a paid movie, we are scared to even pause, stop, or leave the room due to anything rented not being able to be retrieved again for resuming viewing.

We had X1 installed maybe 2 weeks ago, a supposed upgrade to the 3 DVR system we used to have that i am sure most everyone had before going to X1. Dont get me wrong there are things i like about X1, and there are things that to me are just a downgrade from what we had. At the time of X1 purchase of course i was not aware that the smaller hub boxes would not be able to pause, fast forward or rewind live tv. Honestly to me that isnt such a big deal as most of the watching where we would do any of that is on the main box. But i can tell you X1 has a lot of bugs to be worked out, and sometimes seems to be just a partial upgrade and partial downgrade. We also had one hub box fry and have to be replaced after just 2 weeks being installed.

The main issue i have right now though is what i said before. Anything you rent and pay for, you cant retrieve because it simply just doesnt show in purchases which makes me think if i actually purchased a movie to keep, would it even show. I hope they get this sorted out becuase the next rental i make from on demand that i cannot retrieve, even ten minutes after renting it, im having X1 pulled and the old 3 DVR system put back in place.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 on demand rentals not showing in purchases - cant resume a rental

Purchases are purchases, not rentals.

For rentals you can either press the last button, or xfinity -> saved -> for you -> recently watched, or simply browsing to it the same way you did the first time.

Frequent Visitor

We went to the recently watched menu and it was prompting us to rent it again, not resume. We tried exactly what you said and it only said we could rent it again. And the online rep said to retrieve rentals you go to the purchases menu. This was the comcast rep that said this.

And to be clear this was rented at around midnight last night. Supposed to be a 48 hour rental. So looking at it right now should give me the option to watch it again. After going to saved, for you, recently watched, the movie is there but the only option is to rent it. 48 hours has not elapsed so why would i have to rent it again. It's a broken feature and comcast even said it was a known issue.

Another problem with this being the only way to resume a rented movie is if you if you go into the recently watched menu and mark the movie unwatched, it dissapears. Purchases should be whatever is rented or purchased, not just purchased. Not very user friendly to have to search out the exact same movie i rented if the rental time has not elapsed to either resume or re-watch it again. Should be under purchases regardless to make it more user friendly.

Official Employee

We went to the recently watched menu and it was prompting us to rent it again, not resume. We tried exactly what you said and it only said we could rent it again. And the online rep said to retrieve rentals you go to the purchases menu. This was the comcast rep that said this.

And to be clear this was rented at around midnight last night. Supposed to be a 48 hour rental. So looking at it right now should give me the option to watch it again. After going to saved, for you, recently watched, the movie is there but the only option is to rent it. 48 hours has not elapsed so why would i have to rent it again. It's a broken feature and comcast even said it was a known issue.

You did it exactly the way you're supposed to. Anything you pay for ( not free stuff) will ( should ) show up under purchases.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks ComcastAndrew. I figured it wouldnt be as user unfriendly as to have to go through all those menu's again to resume a rented movie. Like i said comcast did say its a known issue. I'm not giving up on X1 just yet as i do like the majority of it. Some things could be improved, but the rentals showing up after being rented needs attention soon or else they are going to have alot of calls to billing for credits due to this.

Silver Problem Solver

Just a heads up, I have had mixed luck with the x1 agents doing a refresh, then trying again (via the methods I mentioned, not sure if purchases folder will show rentals though)

Frequent Visitor

The rep i talked to did go through some troubleshooting methods, refreshing the boxes, etc. I even did a soft reboot of the box itself through the box settings and still its not showing. Apparently its an ongoing issue. Hopefully the next by the next time i rent something and have to stop it, or pause it and it times out, this issue will be resolved.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having a hard time with Comcast customer service, especially since I moved. It's like a whole different company these days. Have they been replaced by aliens? The issue began with a lost movie. That's when the evil aliens first appeared. The one I bought was lost and they wouldn't help me get it back until I went through 6 different techs due to repeated dropped calls (on their part) until I finally got someone that easily fixed the issue.The others bumbled through it all and kept hanging up on me! All this after a whole afternoon's worth of stress, only to have the movie lost again by the following day! I almost cried. It was like re-living a mini "Groundhogs Day!" In days gone by, I could usually get all my needs taken care of in one brief phone call, when customer service used to mean something and they took care of people and were polite in the process. I recently wrote to the CEO after all the trouble with this last move, rude customer service and tech issues, etc., only to get a form letter from his assistant that really had nothing to do with my issue whatsoever. Message received: "We couldn't care less about you, but thanks for making us rich!" Completely unacceptable. What happened that the customer isn't valued and only became a means to line pockets? I've been a customer since 1995, but my loyalty certainly didn't matter.  I'm really not pleased with recent changes. At ALL! The prices are through the roof only to have to endure horrible treatment by employees who act like they're 12, annoying and repeated technical issues, loss of movie purchases, poor move procedures at set up and install and then equipment failures. I'd just like people in a business setting to be polite, respectful, to actually take pride in their work by making sure it's done properly the first time! Oh, and it would be really nice if customers didn't have to hear a technician complain and tell us what he can't do, when we are told they most certainly could and WOULD by his supervisor when he comes to a home to do a move-in install. Is this really too much to ask?! Ugh!

Official Employee

Gabriala wrote:

I'm having a hard time with Comcast overall and the same issue, especially since I moved. The movie I bought was lost and they wouldn't help me get it back until I went through 6 dropped calls after 6 transfers until someone finally fixed the issue, only to have the movie lost again! I had to keep calling because they kept dropping my calls when I called back. It was like re-living "Groundhog Day!" I could usually get all my needs taken care of in one phone call, in the good "old days" of Comcast, when customer service used to mean something. I wrote to the CEO after all the trouble with this last move, customer service issues, etc., only to get a form letter from his assistant. Completely unacceptable. What happened that the customer isn't valued and only became a means to line pockets?  They treat me like a brand new customer, even though I've been a loyal subscriber since 1995. That's longer than most marriages!  I'm really not pleased with recent changes, overall. One more incident and I'll be divorcing them completely. The prices are through the roof only to have to endure this horrible treatment, terrible technical issues, loss of purchases and equipment failures?!  I'm the nicest, kindest person in the world, rarely complaining, but this is really gotten too much to take!  I hope they get their act together and streamline things with actual adults with manners answering the phones soon. I want my purchases back! I'd like people to be kind and polite and respectful when I call and to NOT have to deal with so many tech issues!  What's up with all this? What's with the CEO of customer service not responding to someone with legitimate issues. I've been with them for 20 years, paying thousands of dollars over the years. That should count for something. That and I'm a person, for crying out loud!

Checked  your old account and you only had 1 purchase. that has been transferred to your new account.   Please check     and confirm you can see this movie in your purchases folder from the On Demand menu. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Recently I have had items time out, and if I go to the "for you" menu it will show there and I have been able to resume from there. They still dont show in purchases but at least, for the last couple of times, I have been able to resume a movie or item that has timed out. I have not purchased any movies for fear that this might happent to me as well.

Gold Problem Solver

Fad2Blak2k wrote:

Recently I have had items time out, and if I go to the "for you" menu it will show there and I have been able to resume from there. They still dont show in purchases but at least, for the last couple of times, I have been able to resume a movie or item that has timed out. I have not purchased any movies for fear that this might happent to me as well.

I was off early from work yesterday and started to watch "Guardians of the Galaxy"...I had other things come up 3 times during the show and each time the show timed-out from the pause.... luckily I was able to resume from the paused point on each occasion...   Maybe I'm just lucky!!!!

-=Ray=-