Community Forum

X1 guide ads

New Poster

X1 guide ads

Recently ads started popping up in my guide. Nothing like ruining the X1 experience by taking up a line to advertise to buy or rent a show.

How do I get rid of it! Very very annoying!
New Poster

Re: X1 guide ads

I'll second this! I don't want On Demand ads in my channel listing, should be an opt-in feature. How can these be disabled???
New Poster

Count me as another customer who can't stand this new "feature". It's almost like Comcast is actively trying to get people to go 100% streaming.
Expert

Bostongeorge wrote:
Count me as another customer who can't stand this new "feature". It's almost like Comcast is actively trying to get people to go 100% streaming.

it is always either a new benefit/feature or a particular marketing theme (where comcast gets paid and that reduces need for more revenue from us). 

i'd just ignore it, very minor thing right?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Agreed.  This is horribly annoying.  I just want to scroll through the channel guide in an easy manner.  There are plenty of opportunites to insert PPV ads without screwing up the channel guide.  At least give us an option to turn it off. 

Silver Problem Solver

Set up a favorite list? Or does it show there too?

Gold Problem Solver

It's only only going to get worse. Recently a Comcast exec was making an announcement about future X1 boxes and he mentioned they were working on ways to include more advertising.

zuma15 wrote:

Agreed.  This is horribly annoying.  I just want to scroll through the channel guide in an easy manner.  There are plenty of opportunites to insert PPV ads without screwing up the channel guide.  At least give us an option to turn it off. 

New Poster

Add me to the annoyed...
Regular Contributor

hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

As soon as I noticed this today, I searched for other angry Comcast customers and found a few posts about this. One could, for now, default your guide view to HD channels only (for example). Also, this is reminiscent of the bottom section of the old Comcast guide, in that it is a selectable choice that led to a purchase prompt.
New Poster

Rustyben wrote:

it is always either a new benefit/feature or a particular marketing theme (where comcast gets paid and that reduces need for more revenue from us). 

a) How do you know that Comcast gets paid?

b) "reduces need for more revenue from us" ...

Are you saying Comcast is paying us to watch their ads? Proof, please.

Rustyben wrote: 

No. Wrong. It is not a very minor thing. Digital advertising has traditionally been used to allow free access to video programming or information. What I get from Comcast is definitely not free. In fact, each month I pay Comcast a lot of money. I may consider allowing them to advertise at me in exchange for a reduced bill, but I always want the option to not see ads.

Gold Problem Solver

Paulp302 wrote:
Recently ads started popping up in my guide. Nothing like ruining the X1 experience by taking up a line to advertise to buy or rent a show.

How do I get rid of it! Very very annoying!

I have setup my channels as Favorites and only use the Favorites Guide ( as selected in Comcast Labs ) and have not seen any lines of advertising using that as my default Guide.   (NOTE:  To test this, I switched to the default guide which shows all channels and immediately saw the advertisements in between the channel listings.)  This may be the tool to remove advertisements at this time.  YMMV.

Frequent Visitor

I will be setting up my Guide as stated here with Favorites...This is so wrong that I have the top of the line package from Xfinty and still have to deal with Ads (what l am I paying for)...the entire point of PAYING for Cable is to have less advertising on Cable Channels and of course alot more channels...So they disable fast forward on damand (for some shows) and now throwing ads in my face when lookfing at the guide this is just wrong.  Hey i wonder if they are thinking of displaying ads on the faceplate of the cable box next?  I have already sent in a complaint not that it will help.  If the Fav guide does not work i guess this will accelerate my cut the cable options....

New Poster

The new ads are annoying. My guide only shows 5 channel rows, and it's frustrating when 20% of the space is wasted by something I NEVER want to see. The revised design compromises the ease-of-use of the guide by requiring more page up / page down clicks to traverse the same channel range. If you are determined to persist with the ads, then show 6 channel rows at a time by shrinking the channel icons on each row and keeping the same row text (font) size.

Also, the recently revised guide appears to be buggy in sports mode. On 5/29, I used sports mode to display all the soccer listings. The results displayed 5/28 listings from 5am until midnight (wrong, why is the guide showing yesterday's listings?), then 5/29 listings from midnight to 5am (correct), then no other listings for the rest of 5/29 (completely wrong since there were many matches broadcast), then normal listings for 5/30. I like the sports mode and, aside from this bug, find it useful.

Regular Visitor

No this is annoying, stretches out the guide add extra unnecessary lines that just irritate me when scrolling through the guide.

Silver Problem Solver

Am I missing something?  I don't remember seeing ads in the Guide.  Can someone post a snapshot?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

RobertWy wrote:

Am I missing something?  I don't remember seeing ads in the Guide.  Can someone post a snapshot?

when you first hit guide there is no advert at least that i've seen. Hit guide then type in another channel and press 'ok' button. the 2nd line down will show a line with channel name 'xfinity' inserted before the normally next channel number.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

RobertWy wrote:

This is what it looks like

IMG_0171.JPG

Silver Problem Solver

Your image may need to be resized to a smaller size.

New Poster

I called comcast (online chat actually).

They told me this could be disabled by:

1. go to "My Account"
  2. click "Users & Preferences" (https://customer.xfinity.com/Secure/UserSettings/)
  3. under "My profile" click "managing advertising preferences" (https://customer.xfinity.com/Component/customer_comcast_com/UserSettings/#)
  4. select "OPT-OUT"

the customer service person told me it would take up to a month for the ads to go away.

This all seems tone deaf to me... I pay a lot of money each month for X1 and have no interest

in being pitched to buy or rent in the tv guide.

I actually have no interest in buying movies ever and would love if they never showed up on

the list -- but that is something I'm willing to conceed

In any case: I did this "opt-out" about a week ago -- and the ad-lines are still in the guide.

Problem Solver

That's something I didn't realize, so I went and looked at the Advertising Preferences for Cable Video Services FAQs.  Here is one thing it stated:

If I opt out, will I still see advertising? If I opt back in, will I see more ads?
Your choices about whether you want to see more relevant advertising will not affect the number of ads you see. You will still see advertising even if you opt out.

So, what does opting out really get you?

New Poster

Chaulk up another annoyed customer here.  I really wish there was a decent alternative where I live.  This truly is a monopoly.  I have no other choice for high speed internet so I am stuck with Comcast.  I don't like in a big city/town so the chances of a decent alternative like google fiber coming to town are slim.  the surrounding towns have FIOS, but not ours.  Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the country and they keep doing things like this to keep them at the top of that list.  Keep up the good work, Comcast. 

New Poster

My reason for commenting on this forum today is to vent my frustration with the ads that are showing up in the xfinity guide listing.
If Xfinity was a free service, ads of this type would be expected, but it's far from it!! For the money we pay for this service, shouldn't it be ad free AT LEAST with respect to the guide?
These ads have decreased the effeciency of using the guide (by the percentage / ration of ads to listings - app 7%, ratio of 1 to 14).
Your users are not happy about this!! If the service is to include "suggestions" for viewing, it should be an option that can be turned on and OFF as desired rather than manditory for all users.
Thank you

New Poster

Thank You Comcast !!

*** UPDATE ***

In-Guide Ads Have Disappeared - Thank You Comcast!

I am not sure when this happened, but I noticed last night I am no longer seeing ad lines in the guide. I checked again this morning and they are still gone.

New Poster

it looks like I spoke too soon...

The ads are back.

I noticed them in the guide again this morning.

Why, Comcast, why??

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: it looks like I spoke too soon...

I have noticed this too.

Really frustrating to pay a ton of money to them and have them forcing ads down our throats, and not one response from a Rep.

Way to go and ignore your paying customers.

New Poster

Back for me too. Do we need to call this in? Tweet at them? This is ridiculous.
Gold Problem Solver

I suggest that people posting in this thread reread my post #7 in this thread...

stiemark wrote:
Back for me too. Do we need to call this in? Tweet at them? This is ridiculous.

New Poster

I just noticed the ads are back myself.  I also heard that Comcast is rolling out data caps in other areas like Chicago.  I really with they didn't have a monopoly in my area.  They can get away with sticking it to their customers because people like me have no other alternative.  They really are doing all they can to be the US' most hated company.  Keep up the good work, Comcast. 

Official Employee

FormerHPB wrote:

I just noticed the ads are back myself.  I also heard that Comcast is rolling out data caps in other areas like Chicago.  I really with they didn't have a monopoly in my area.  They can get away with sticking it to their customers because people like me have no other alternative.  They really are doing all they can to be the US' most hated company.  Keep up the good work, Comcast. 

A couple of ways I ran across to remove the advertsing, for now you can either

With Live TV up, use the right arrow and access the guide on the right hand side of the screen

or

With your remote, Xfinity button to Tools menu to Preferences to General to Default Guide View and change the guide to anything but All Channels

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Silver Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew wrote:

FormerHPB wrote:

A couple of ways I ran across to remove the advertsing, for now you can either

With Live TV up, use the right arrow and access the guide on the right hand side of the screen

or

With your remote, Xfinity button to Tools menu to Preferences to General to Default Guide View and change the guide to anything but All Channels

I guess this is why I don't see ads?

New Poster

Noticed the ads back this week - WHY COMCAST???
So frustrating that this requires more scrolling to see what's on the guide - the ads show as "sponsored".

Don't we pay enough monthly so they don't have to do this??

Looks like it's time to hit social media and get their attention - or maybe just switch to DISH?? If nothing else, they'll understand loosing customers!

UGH!!!!!

New Poster

Extra superfluous lines in on-screen channel listing

The current on-screen channel listing is adding an extra "Xfinity" line about every 8-10 channels.  This bug happened for a few days several weeks ago and then stopped, but it has started to recur in the last day or so.  Very irritating!!  Is there a subscriber option to disable these extra lines or does it require Comcast to take action to fix this problem?  (Note: I tried the Chat function, and it sat on some message like someone will be with you in 6 minutes for more than 20 minutes.)

Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Extra superfluous lines in on-screen channel listing

If you push the guide button twice and scroll over to show only HD channels and press ok, ads will disapear.
Silver Problem Solver

rickwatlington wrote:

Noticed the ads back this week - WHY COMCAST???
So frustrating that this requires more scrolling to see what's on the guide - the ads show as "sponsored".

Don't we pay enough monthly so they don't have to do this??

Looks like it's time to hit social media and get their attention - or maybe just switch to DISH?? If nothing else, they'll understand loosing customers!

UGH!!!!!

Did you try this?

Regular Visitor

advertising--on tv guidepage

i don't recall giving Comcast permission to sandwich PPV ads between programming lines on Guide.   I'm spending top $$ to be an X1 user--do I also have to tolerate ads there?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: advertising--on tv guidepage

Well known and widely discussed...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-guide-ads/td-p/2754421

swampbat wrote:

i don't recall giving Comcast permission to sandwich PPV ads between programming lines on Guide.   I'm spending top $$ to be an X1 user--do I also have to tolerate ads there?

Frequent Visitor

Did you try this?

Having to limit your ability to see what is on tv is an absolutely ridiculous "solution".  It is nothing more than a band-aid, that eventually Comcast will remove.

New Poster

This did the trick.  Thank you for the info.  But I'm sure you are correct, they will fix this loophole.  I wish these companies would realize that ads like this are probably useless for 90% of the people seeing them.  Online ads are the same, I ignore them all. 

Regular Visitor

Doesn't just apply to PPV ads on guide, but also to occasional random advertising on the Music Choice channels.  Knock off advertising, Comcast, while you still have a semblance of customer loyalty

WalterSparrow wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

a) How do you know that Comcast gets paid?

b) "reduces need for more revenue from us" ...

Are you saying Comcast is paying us to watch their ads? Proof, please.

Rustyben wrote: 

No. Wrong. It is not a very minor thing. Digital advertising has traditionally been used to allow free access to video programming or information. What I get from Comcast is definitely not free. In fact, each month I pay Comcast a lot of money. I may consider allowing them to advertise at me in exchange for a reduced bill, but I always want the option to not see ads.

Valued Contributor

Just another RUDE Comcast Guide Marketing Tactic

Maybe revenue from the Rio Olympics didn't meet the expectations of parent company Comcast Inc, but adding an advertising line on every second page of the guide is annoying.

Advertisement line in guide.JPG

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Just another RUDE Comcast Guide Marketing Tactic

Check your Settings>Preferences>Notiications.

I don't see that in my Guide.

Valued Contributor

All my notifications are (and have been) OFF.  I'm pretty sure this ploy is coming to a guide near you, soon.

Gold Problem Solver

LeeSoFL wrote:

All my notifications are (and have been) OFF.  I'm pretty sure this ploy is coming to a guide near you, soon.

Lee,

I setup my GUide to default to FAVORITES and I do not see any advertising using that guide....

Ray

Valued Contributor

Thanks Ray!

I set the guide to display only "HD channels" and that removed the line adverts.  

Enjoy the weekend.

New Poster

I too am pretty irritated with the annoying ads, when going through the guide you have to pass down the ad just to get to the next page of channels. I have opted out from ads from my account setting, but after reading that there is no difference why even provide a fake option with no result? Even though I’ve opted out from ads they are still present. You would think with so many dissatisfied customers there would be a fix to this 😤😡