Community Forum

X1 free upgrade

New Poster

X1 free upgrade

If I get and install the "FREE" upgrade to xfinity X1, will I have to pay more per month after it is installed?

Problem Solver

Re: X1 free upgrade

bjgreskovic wrote:

If I get and install the "FREE" upgrade to xfinity X1, will I have to pay more per month after it is installed?

For me the price is exactly the same and nothing on the bill changes.

Frequent Visitor

I you call in to ask, they will try to upsell a plan, but you don' t need to change your plan. They will have to enable cloud DVR if it's available in your market. I just did the free X1 upgrade and it really just amounts to a self-install kit. I did the self-install and had activation issues. Once it was activated, I was having picture issues and got tired of wasting so much time on the phone troubleshooting. I also didn't want to waste hours sitting at home waiting for a tech,  so went back to my original DVR and dumped X1. In talking to the Comcast rep, she mentioned that in my market, X1 installation by a tech was free. Check your area and if this is the case and X1 is a compelling upgrade for you, skip the self-install and let the tech handle any issues that will come up while they are at your home. Its better than waiting on hold and getting endlessly transfered.

Regular Contributor

I know that many of you have legitimate issues, but I wanted to give you my experience, so that you have some hope!

I had a "traditional" DVR & STB setup for several years. I was reluctant to upgrade to X1 for several reasons, including initial "growing pains," and the fact that there was an installation charge ($50 in my area), and a tech was required to install (if it is this complicated, do I really want this?). About two months ago, I saw an ad on TV that there was a SIK, and installation was free. I initiated a chat, and verified that there was no increase in monthly charges. I also asked that any shipping charges be waived, and they were. In about a week, a SIK (DVR & second non-DRV box) showed up, with all the necessary components, including extensive documentation, and all relevant cables. it also included the new voice remote. The installation went well, although I did have to call to have the DVR activated. I now realize that the phone number they wanted was the Comcast TP number, not my landline number, and I think that's why the self-activation failed. I successfully installed the RNG1500 on my second TV - this time, using my Comcast phone number to activate. I packed up the old equipment using the X1 boxes, and used the pre-paid label to ship it all back to Comcast. A week later, I decided that I wanted the Xi3, so I got back on chat. I again asked for the shipping to be waived, and the Xi3 showed up a week later. It's working fine, except for the rewind issue (see other threads). I returned the RNG to my local office (and picked up another free voice remote). I use my own Arris TM822G and a separate router, and I did not experience any interruption in service. There was no change to my monthly bill (yes, I was worried that some random charge would show up, so I saved my chat transcripts!).

I like the ability to watch live TV on my iPad. Some features are better, some are not. If you were used to the old remote, the new one will take some getting used to. The favorites stuff is messed up, but I like some of the recording and viewing features. I hate having to press "ok" when changing channels!

Don't get me wrong, I have my issues with Comcast. I hate the fact that I have no other choices in my town, except for satellite (no dish on my roof...sorry). My monthly bill may be higher than my first mortgage! Getting through to Comcast - either by phone or online - is slow and painful. I am frustrated that knowledge varies greatly in the Comcast support community. I like the fact that, after asking that big issues be escalated, I have been called back by persons who had the authority to make it right. I hate the fact that I had to escalate in the first place.

I have verified my signals, and they're well within the acceptable ranges. Given how fickle X1 can be, I think that's is helping the cause.

Over and out.

Silver Problem Solver

Installing X1 SIK is not for someone who doesn't knows how to do the things that are required.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

'Installing X1 SIK is not for someone who doesn't knows how to do the things that are required.'

Sounds just a little bit self-righteous, no?

Self install is simple - connecting power, coax, and HDMI cables and entering an account and phone number. The problem comes in when there is an equipment issue or activation issue - of no fault of the customer - and you have to call into Comcast for assistance. Say goodbye to a couple of hours of your life and get ready to wait for and sometimes pay for a technician visit. 

Gold Problem Solver

Actually the real problems come when the signals levels are out of spec for X1 boxes which happens quite often.

It should be as easy as you say but we have over two years of well documented history that it is NOT that simple.

The veteran members of this forum have been against self installation of X1 since the day it was announced. Nothing has changed that opinion.

1. You are assuming you receive the correct X1 boxes in your shipment which doesn't always happen and fixing it is often extremely difficult.

2. Then you are assuming the activation process goes smoothly because if it doesn't Comcast doesn't have the background processes in place to easily fix any issues.

3. If you make it to this point, the you need to hope your signal levels meet X1 specs which is a cr*p shoot.

4. Then if you make it this far, you get to work your way through properly pairing and programming remotes which is a process that seems to mystify many people.

Only highly experienced audio/video veterans should be attempting to self install X1.

JAJG wrote:

'Installing X1 SIK is not for someone who doesn't knows how to do the things that are required.'

Sounds just a little bit self-righteous, no?

Self install is simple - connecting power, coax, and HDMI cables and entering an account and phone number. The problem comes in when there is an equipment issue or activation issue - of no fault of the customer - and you have to call into Comcast for assistance. Say goodbye to a couple of hours of your life and get ready to wait for and sometimes pay for a technician visit. 

New Poster

Hmm, could be installer error. I never installed any, then I did mine, my step dads,my dad's,and my brothers with no problems whatsoever.  I used all HDMI setup on all hook ups per each house. 

New Poster

Completely disagree. Install was straight forward and  absolutely simple. If you can follow directions both written and pictures you can install this easily and with no problems. Never once installed this kit, then did all my families for them with zero problems. Once hooked up the TV screen tells you exactly what to do. Like I said, if you can follow directions you can install these easily.

Gold Problem Solver

I made that comment well over a year ago. Much has changed since. Comcast has done a great job of automating the X1 activation process.

HOWEVER I stand by my comments about signal levels. Many self installs fail because of out of spec signals or MOCA levels. It's well documented in this forum.