Community Forum

X1 error code XRE-00251

Frequent Visitor

X1 error code XRE-00251

Need help with this error code. Original post was removed because I accidentally attached a photo with my email address. I can’t access it and don’t have time or the patience to re-type the entire message.

It has been days with no service since swapping boxes. Only resolution is sending out a tech which is unacceptable. Signal was good prior to swapping boxes. I have already spent too much time dealing with this after moving. Clearly the issue is on the back end if service was fine until we swapped boxes. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. After all the expenses with moving it is extremely frustrating to have to shell out more money when the cable was working perfectly fine until the box swap. Thank you. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: X1 error code XRE-00251

@exquizite2 wrote:

Need help with this error code. Original post was removed because I accidentally attached a photo with my email address. I can’t access it and don’t have time or the patience to re-type the entire message.

It has been days with no service since swapping boxes. Only resolution is sending out a tech which is unacceptable. Signal was good prior to swapping boxes. I have already spent too much time dealing with this after moving. Clearly the issue is on the back end if service was fine until we swapped boxes. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. After all the expenses with moving it is extremely frustrating to have to shell out more money when the cable was working perfectly fine until the box swap. Thank you. 

call 800-comcast and select billing. ask the agent to activate your replacement set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

XRE - 00251 - This device needs to be added to your account - X1 Error Message

This article provides instructions on resolving the "XRE-00251 - This device needs to be added to your account before we can continue" error.

Next Steps

When this error occurs, you will see the following message on your device:
  • "This device needs to be added to your account before we can continue.

Please call 866-512-2218 and we'll get this taken care of for you."

Account Phone Number: [XXX-XXX-XXXX]
    Cable Card Number: [XXXXXXXXXXX]
    Cable Modem MAC: [XXXXXXXXXXXX]

XRE-00251

If you continue to experience issues, please Contact Us using the method that is most convenient for you - chat with us online or call us to speak with a Comcast representativ
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have done all that online, with chat and in store. All that happens is you get the run around, asked to do the same steps over and over. Then it gets “escalated” to a higher tier and of course they can’t fix the problem either except to tell you that nothing can be done except send out a tech. I’m sorry but this is wrong. To make a customer pay for something that was working fine before boxes were swapped is bad customer service. Clearly the issue is an admin issue not the signal which was listed as good with four green bats before the main box was swapped.

I even went back to the store (more wasted time) to get a new box just to make sure it wasn’t defective as well. I’m frustrated and hoping if I keep trying different methods, I may actually find someone who knows what they are doing.
Expert

@exquizite2 wrote:
I have done all that online, with chat and in store. All that happens is you get the run around, asked to do the same steps over and over. Then it gets “escalated” to a higher tier and of course they can’t fix the problem either except to tell you that nothing can be done except send out a tech. I’m sorry but this is wrong. To make a customer pay for something that was working fine before boxes were swapped is bad customer service. Clearly the issue is an admin issue not the signal which was listed as good with four green bats before the main box was swapped.

I even went back to the store (more wasted time) to get a new box just to make sure it wasn’t defective as well. I’m frustrated and hoping if I keep trying different methods, I may actually find someone who knows what they are doing.

did you ask them to connect to cable in the xfinity store and activate it there?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Been there done that. All I keep being told is that it is activated.
Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I have triple play so if internet and phone are working, all three services should be activated.
Expert

@exquizite2 wrote:
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I have triple play so if internet and phone are working, all three services should be activated.

the new set top box needs to be added. won't affect your other devices.

Frequent Visitor

All areas of support have claimed the biz has been added. Which is why I’m not understanding why this problem is even occurring. And I’m upset that we have to pay for a tech to fix this.
Official Employee

Exquizite2, I’ve escalated this up to a colleague to help you out. Even if a tech came out, you don’t get charged for equipment related problems

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Andrew. It has been frustrating since we know we checked the signal strength in previous box. My concern is that we will be told it’s a signal problem because “no one has been out for service in 2 years” which the local office told us. It is an equipment or admin issue. Best they would do was MAYBE credit us half after the tech visit only if we came back up, waited in line and asked for two specific reps. I know I’m not a tech but based on the signal we received from the previous box and the fact we swapped the new boxes out twice, this is not an issue that should require a tech. Thank you for your help.
Silver Problem Solver

@exquizite2 wrote:
Thank you Andrew. It has been frustrating since we know we checked the signal strength in previous box. My concern is that we will be told it’s a signal problem because “no one has been out for service in 2 years” which the local office told us. It is an equipment or admin issue. Best they would do was MAYBE credit us half after the tech visit only if we came back up, waited in line and asked for two specific reps. I know I’m not a tech but based on the signal we received from the previous box and the fact we swapped the new boxes out twice, this is not an issue that should require a tech. Thank you for your help.

Did you check to see if the box appears in My Account?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes and it does.
Official Employee

Hi exquizite2. I can assist with further troubleshooting your XRE error. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your account.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

We have been in the same boat, moved in on 4th July holidays and had perfect service and called 2weeks before move so we could have a tech and transfer equipment all our equipment was up to date except the 2 RNG 150 boxes which is all they should have replacing in beginning, but 4 techs later said our main X1 box needed replaced and said I wasn’t aloud to have 3 XG2 Boxes? Lol so they give me these little xi5 non dvrs that are basically a firestick lol, yet to have a full week of service, I think they listen to customer more, but if I would of worked on it they would have blamed issues on me so it’s jumping thru hoops now I have a 4k box finally!! Xfinity said installing firmware but its ridiculous, hope bugs are finally gone
Expert

@Jfrancis97 wrote:
We have been in the same boat, moved in on 4th July holidays and had perfect service and called 2weeks before move so we could have a tech and transfer equipment all our equipment was up to date except the 2 RNG 150 boxes which is all they should have replacing in beginning, but 4 techs later said our main X1 box needed replaced and said I wasn’t aloud to have 3 XG2 Boxes? Lol so they give me these little xi5 non dvrs that are basically a firestick lol, yet to have a full week of service, I think they listen to customer more, but if I would of worked on it they would have blamed issues on me so it’s jumping thru hoops now I have a 4k box finally!! Xfinity said installing firmware but its ridiculous, hope bugs are finally gone

each Xg2 suppports 3 Xid (or xi3) set top boxes. the RNG150 won't allow internet apps but if you need some very old technology connectors it is the only companion set top box to have them.