Community Forum

X1 entertainment system, worth upgrading?

Contributor

X1 entertainment system, worth upgrading?

Just received a notice from xfinity saying that because I am a "valued customer" they want to reward me by letting me upgrade to the x1 Entertainment Operating System and that they will waive the upgrade fee.  I do note that there is a x1 DVR service fee of $7.99 per month for 12 months. 

Anyone have this service?  Is it worth it?  Going to call to get the specifics and make sure it will not increase my bill - which BTW I noted in today's Chicago Tribune all cable companies are increasing their rates this year.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 entertainment system, worth upgrading?

Rates for the X1 system are the same as non X1.  If you don't make any changes to your existing service level, like DVR service, HD, number of TVs connected, programming package, then you shouldn't see an increase. (Except for the rate increases that everyone will see.)

As far as if it's worth it, you should browse this forum to see the common complaints and decide for yourself.  For most, the X1 system is great.  For many, it's nothing but a headache.  There's no real way of knowing if you will experience problems or not.  Maybe check with some neighbors to see if they have it and what their experience is.  Depending on where you live and the age of the infrastructure in your area, the experience can vary greatly.

Official Employee

Reau482 wrote:

Just received a notice from xfinity saying that because I am a "valued customer" they want to reward me by letting me upgrade to the x1 Entertainment Operating System and that they will waive the upgrade fee.  I do note that there is a x1 DVR service fee of $7.99 per month for 12 months. 

Anyone have this service?  Is it worth it?  Going to call to get the specifics and make sure it will not increase my bill - which BTW I noted in today's Chicago Tribune all cable companies are increasing their rates this year.

At your convenience, go to your local service center and play with it and demo it, as well as, answering your account related questions.

Lots of good links in this thread

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-General/td-p/1854693

Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Reau482 wrote:

At your convenience, go to your local service center and play with it and demo it, as well as, answering your account related questions.

Lots of good links in this thread

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-General/td-p/1854693

the 7.99/month intro price is instead of the regular (legacy too) DVR charge retail of 19.99/month. so a savings of $12/month. good deal there. Most had to pay $99 for the free upgrade you are offered. sounds like deal of the century. note you move from 2 tuners to 6 tuners and get full cloud dvr (in 95% of comcast service areas) and stream to any device in your home and ability to download your recordings to watch offline anywere even where no internet access. 

winner winner chicken dinner (you are -- in yoda voice)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... the 7.99/month intro price is instead of the regular (legacy too) DVR charge retail of 19.99/month. ...

You appear to have confused the "upgrade a cable box to a DVR" price with the "add a DVR as an additional outlet" price. Those costs should be the same whether X1 or legacy.

Frequent Visitor

If you decide to upgrade, get it in writing from Comcast that there won't be any additional charges.  I did the "free" upgrade last month and on my next bill I saw the following:

$30 fee for self-install kit - never disclosed to me

$15 fee for expedited shipping which I did not ask for

$10 increase in my monthly equipment rental because the X1 box rental is $10 more each month compared to the non-X1 box.

Because I got it in writing that there wouldn't be any additional costs for upgrading, I was able to contest all these charges and Comcast removed them.

All that being said, I do like the X1 interface better, especially searching for channels or programs.  So for a completely free upgrade, it's worth it.

To clarify - I didn't change my services in any way.  My old boxes were HD, and I didn't add any services like DVR or premium channels.

Expert

box rentals (dvr vs non dvr) are same for lagacy and for X1. your package and possible contract for 2 years price may be different. Lots of great plans. IMO billing is best place to get best price offers whereas sales wants you on most expensive non-discounted plans possible it seems.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

I like the use of the microphone on the X1 remote, I miss seeing the reminder icon, the X1 cable boxes are always on and the X1 remote in genral could have been desinged better. (Examples: on the older comcast remotes the Vol. & channel buttons are more center and, Aux. button. not on the X1 remote.

Reau482 wrote:

)