Community Forum

X1 digital box picture locks up every night (digital box, not DVR)

Contributor

X1 digital box picture locks up every night (digital box, not DVR)

So we have a DVR in the living room and an digital box in the bedroom.  Every night after the nightly update time the digital box locks the picture on the screen like a freze frame - and stays that way until you change the channel

It wasn't always that way, started a month or 2 ago with occasional lock ups, now it is every night.

Why does this matter?  My wife fights insomnia and leave the tv on with the sounds down on TCM.  Something about having the picture running (with no jarring commercials) helps her sleep.  That’s all ruined if she has to wake all the way up and do channel up/down.

I’m posting here as I am more likely to get a REAL answer – the call center will waste an hour or 2 having me do a system refresh (done several) unplug everything from the wall and plug back in (done) check all the connections (really?  Done).  Then they will want to send a tech.  I will stay home from work to have a guy cut off all my cable ends and crimp new connectors, throw a tester on the line and say ‘you have great signal now!”

And the problem won’t change. 

Anyone else run into this and is there a fix?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 digital box picture locks up every night (digital box, not DVR)

The best solution maybe swapping the box for an XG2. It is independent of the dvr and you can set its own reset time to a different part of the day

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Sounds like a plan, is it the same monthly rental fee and how do I get one?

Contributor

ohh - and if it doesn't connect to the DVR, does that mean no pause/rewind live TV and no access to saved (DVR) shows?

Diamond Problem Solver

No, it still talks to the dvr and has all the same functions. It’s independent as in, when the dvr does its reboot or is unplugged the XG2 still is live.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

That all sounds good - so how do I get one?  Call support?

Diamond Problem Solver

I’ll escalate it up to see if we can get you one or just stop by your local service center

Official Employee

Hi, jbrady33. Thank you for posting here for support. I'm glad that you've gotten some great help so far. I can definitely step in and provide assistance with shipping an XG2 box out to you. If we ship it to you, there is a $15 shipping fee though. We ship through UPS. Otherwise, you can bring your existing box that you want to swap out into a service center of ours and we can switch it out there at no cost to you. It's totally up to you. If you'd like me to ship the box out to you, please go ahead and send me a private message with your name and I will get that started. The shipment would include a return label for you to return the other box as well. Let me know, thanks! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks for the offer, but I just found out that you now have a service center inside Christiana Mall which is very close to me, I will bring it in!  (The old location in Wilmington was quite a trip.)

Official Employee

I'm glad that there is a new location that is closer and more convenient for you, that's great! Here is a link that should provide you with the store hours, just so you have that as well: https://www.xfinity.com/local/index.html. Please bring in the cable box that you want to swap with its power cord and they will complete the change for you. If you have any other questions or concerns surrounding your account/plan/package, feel free to let me know. We usually try to follow up with you when doing a self installation kit, just to ensure everything went smoothly. Here is this as well, if you need it: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-stb-activation.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!