Community Forum

X1 compatible

Regular Visitor

X1 compatible

I currently have a Cisco RNG200N (non X1) dvr/cable box that has, so I've been told by Comcast, a 500gb hard drive.  Practically everything I record is hi def and I soon realized after purchase that 500gb wasn't big enough.  In 2013 I purchased and installed a Western Digital SATA external hard drive that increased my storage capacity to 1.5tb and I haven't had a "storage capacity" issue since.  Unfortunately I can't be as positive regarding issues with the dvr's that Comcast furnishes.  I am now on my third machine and it is just as problematic as the ones before it.  I'm reluctant to have it replaced because it seems to me all Comcast does is replace one machine with another that is refurbished and usually no better than the machine it replaced.  Those replacement machines are usually wrapped in plastic I assume to give the appearance they are new, but according to one or more technicians they are refurbished.  I wouldn't have a problem with being issued a refurbished machine IF it worked as designed; this is not to say that I wouldn't have the same problems with a new machine.  I just don't like having to pay what you charge for a machine that doesn't work as it should.

So now I'm wondering if switching to an X1 dvr would would be less problematic and if so, will the external hard drive work with it enabling me to increase my storage capacity like it does now with my current machine.

GHE

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 compatible

Just so you know, your concern is discussed almost daily in this forum. Plenty of current information exists on this topic.

However I will repeat myself. Recording storage capacity remains X1's biggest weak spot. 500GB (60 hours of HD recording) is simply not enough. Some high level bean counter in the Ivory Towers in Philly made this decision and the rest of the Comcast minions are standing by it.

The SATA and USB ports on X1 boxes are turned off. Comcast has no intention of turning them on.

What you see now is what should plan to get in the future...

troutfish222 wrote:

I currently have a Cisco RNG200N (non X1) dvr/cable box that has, so I've been told by Comcast, a 500gb hard drive.  Practically everything I record is hi def and I soon realized after purchase that 500gb wasn't big enough.  In 2013 I purchased and installed a Western Digital SATA external hard drive that increased my storage capacity to 1.5tb and I haven't had a "storage capacity" issue since.  Unfortunately I can't be as positive regarding issues with the dvr's that Comcast furnishes.  I am now on my third machine and it is just as problematic as the ones before it.  I'm reluctant to have it replaced because it seems to me all Comcast does is replace one machine with another that is refurbished and usually no better than the machine it replaced.  Those replacement machines are usually wrapped in plastic I assume to give the appearance they are new, but according to one or more technicians they are refurbished.  I wouldn't have a problem with being issued a refurbished machine IF it worked as designed; this is not to say that I wouldn't have the same problems with a new machine.  I just don't like having to pay what you charge for a machine that doesn't work as it should.

So now I'm wondering if switching to an X1 dvr would would be less problematic and if so, will the external hard drive work with it enabling me to increase my storage capacity like it does now with my current machine.

GHE

Gold Problem Solver

troutfish222 wrote: ... Cisco RNG200N ... it is just as problematic as the ones before it. ...

What is the problem you are having with these DVRs? You haven't said . . .

Regular Visitor

Apologies for making a "double post" on this subject; being unfamiliar with this forum's procedures and searching for my original post several times unsuccessfully, I thought by checking the "email me" box would flag me to a response but I didn't see it.  Also, with regard to this subject being discussed in earlier posts, I would have preferred finding a solution(s) to my issue using that path but again, unfamiliarity with how this forum works which led me to this post. 

My primary reason for researching this subject is cost; Xfinity comes out with a flyer in today's paper offering "new" customers X1 Triple Play service for a prices LESS than half what I pay now for a non-X1 service and their introductory price is locked in for TWO years - that amounts to approximately $2500 MORE that I'm currently having to pay for Non X1  Triple Play service.  For two people currently retired, living on a fixed income, we are finding the cost of this service more prohibitive with each annual price increase and will soon have no choice but to terminate this cable service because we simply can't afford it.

The external hard drive was a $100 purchase I don't regret because increasing my capacity 1tb has enabled me to record all programming I desired and since I pay extra for hi def service it made no sense to me NOT to record everything in hi def.  What I've just learned through this forum is that would no longer be possible with an upgrade to X1. 

The problem(s) I'm having with the DVRs are ongoing.  I have two in my house and it's like they have a mind of their own.  One of these machines would have intermittent sound loss, both with live broadcasts and recorded broadcasts.  When the technician brought in a replacement he couldn't get it to work and had to retrieve another from his truck, which has occasional programming issues.

The other machine which I have my external hard drive connected to has multiple problems, one of which is occasionally, while recording two shows at the same time it just shuts down and the ONLY way I can get it back to normal again is to re-boot which takes 5-10 minutes.  I missed two innings of game 7 in the World Series when this happened.  Also, during fast forward/rewind to skip over commercials and other dead time the controls freeze up - some times in ff, sometimes in rw [several times tried new batteries in the remote and also made sure I was in direct line of sight between remote and receiver].  Many times (too many times) during a recording for some unknown reason I find that a recording was interrupted and later, some times much later, resumed.  What's especially troubling during these interruptions is the times when a scheduled recording time is increased (i.e. a football game going into overtime, etc.) this scheduled increase is lost; so when I go to watch that football game, and it goes into overtime, I don't see it because of this interruption to scheduled time.  I don't believe these interruptions are due to an electrical interruption because I have no blinking or blank displays in any digital clocks in the house.  There have been times when I have fast forwarded through the guide to program another recording and again, for unknown reasons it just locks up, then shuts down and the re-boot has to take place again.

These are problems I'm currently having with the third machine that replace two other machines in approximately six/seven years.  What's extremely frustrating is the loss of programs recorded/saved - they go out the door with the machine being replaced.

Expert

troutfish222 wrote:

Apologies for making a "double post" on this subject; being unfamiliar with this forum's procedures and searching for my original post several times unsuccessfully, I thought by checking the "email me" box would flag me to a response but I didn't see it.  Also, with regard to this subject being discussed in earlier posts, I would have preferred finding a solution(s) to my issue using that path but again, unfamiliarity with how this forum works which led me to this post. 

My primary reason for researching this subject is cost; Xfinity comes out with a flyer in today's paper offering "new" customers X1 Triple Play service for a prices LESS than half what I pay now for a non-X1 service and their introductory price is locked in for TWO years - that amounts to approximately $2500 MORE that I'm currently having to pay for Non X1  Triple Play service.  For two people currently retired, living on a fixed income, we are finding the cost of this service more prohibitive with each annual price increase and will soon have no choice but to terminate this cable service because we simply can't afford it.

The external hard drive was a $100 purchase I don't regret because increasing my capacity 1tb has enabled me to record all programming I desired and since I pay extra for hi def service it made no sense to me NOT to record everything in hi def.  What I've just learned through this forum is that would no longer be possible with an upgrade to X1. 

The problem(s) I'm having with the DVRs are ongoing.  I have two in my house and it's like they have a mind of their own.  One of these machines would have intermittent sound loss, both with live broadcasts and recorded broadcasts.  When the technician brought in a replacement he couldn't get it to work and had to retrieve another from his truck, which has occasional programming issues.

The other machine which I have my external hard drive connected to has multiple problems, one of which is occasionally, while recording two shows at the same time it just shuts down and the ONLY way I can get it back to normal again is to re-boot which takes 5-10 minutes.  I missed two innings of game 7 in the World Series when this happened.  Also, during fast forward/rewind to skip over commercials and other dead time the controls freeze up - some times in ff, sometimes in rw [several times tried new batteries in the remote and also made sure I was in direct line of sight between remote and receiver].  Many times (too many times) during a recording for some unknown reason I find that a recording was interrupted and later, some times much later, resumed.  What's especially troubling during these interruptions is the times when a scheduled recording time is increased (i.e. a football game going into overtime, etc.) this scheduled increase is lost; so when I go to watch that football game, and it goes into overtime, I don't see it because of this interruption to scheduled time.  I don't believe these interruptions are due to an electrical interruption because I have no blinking or blank displays in any digital clocks in the house.  There have been times when I have fast forwarded through the guide to program another recording and again, for unknown reasons it just locks up, then shuts down and the re-boot has to take place again.

These are problems I'm currently having with the third machine that replace two other machines in approximately six/seven years.  What's extremely frustrating is the loss of programs recorded/saved - they go out the door with the machine being replaced.

retired like you and a customer like you. When you have a few minutes, call 800-comcast and select billing. Tell the representative that you are now retired on fixed-income and want to reduce your bill and convert to x1. They have plans available that include equipment. See what they offer and get it locked in for 12 to 24 months. Good luck, let us know how you came out?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Just got off the phone - no help.  She said they don't have anything available right now.  They don't offer any type of discounts either (i.e. senior citizen, military veteran, AARP, etc.). 

Will have no choice but to cut the cord soon.

Gold Problem Solver

I have found that the people who work in the Comcast service centers are the most flexible and knowledgeable in regards to price "adjustments".
Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Expert

closing year-old thread

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.