Community Forum

X1 box settings, audio, surround sound

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 box settings, audio, surround sound

Ralph - your response is very interesting - I watch most shows from recording - i never thought sound might be different from recording rather than live - has anyone else seen surround does not work as well on recorded shows?  how about on demand?  For example Hawaii 50 - broadcasts in 5.1 - they advertise on every show - i watch from recording - while the side speakers work - they seem to only output the same as the center without any separation

Frequent Visitor

I will check an on demand show but I know it happens on prerecorded shows.
Frequent Visitor

We just upgraded to X1 and I think we have a Aris box.  On our previous Motorola Box all the sound worked perfectly.  But now, with the X1 Box, which is routed through our high end Denon system (via HDMI cable) we get a Denon indication of Dolby with perfect sound throught the front 3 speakers.  But there is no rear speaker sound.  We are using the Surround Sound setting in the box (the Stereo setting is worse).  Since we know our system is fine, and it worked fine until Comcast switched out our boxes (2 days ago) this has to be an issue with the X1 Box. 

We hope Comcast responds here.  If not, we shall request that they take this X1 stuff out of here and bring back our better Motorola Box.

Gold Problem Solver

Are you checking the rear speakers on ALL broadcasts? Not all shows have rear effects. If I were you, I would plug in the microphone that came with your Denon and rerun the auto setup procedure.

@Hankl wrote:

We just upgraded to X1 and I think we have a Aris box.  On our previous Motorola Box all the sound worked perfectly.  But now, with the X1 Box, which is routed through our high end Denon system (via HDMI cable) we get a Denon indication of Dolby with perfect sound throught the front 3 speakers.  But there is no rear speaker sound.  We are using the Surround Sound setting in the box (the Stereo setting is worse).  Since we know our system is fine, and it worked fine until Comcast switched out our boxes (2 days ago) this has to be an issue with the X1 Box. 

We hope Comcast responds here.  If not, we shall request that they take this X1 stuff out of here and bring back our better Motorola Box.

Frequent Visitor

I hear ya....and as somewhat of a techie agree with your recommendation.  So I will recalibrate the speakers today.  Last night we watched a recent movie from Showtime On Demand.  The movie was in Dolby 5.1 and I did find that if I listened very closely at the rear speakers there was some sound at a volume so low as to be worthless.  Using a local NBC affiliate that has long broadcast in 1080i with surround sound, we do get sound out of the rear speakers.  Checking another On Demand movie that has Dolby gives us nothing out of the rear speakers.  We have never had this problem with the On Demand movies with our old Motorola Box.  At this point we will play around with listening to some other moves from various On Demand sources and see if this is a hit and miss thing based on the movie.  I am also going to get a Blu Ray DVD movie and use that as a test to make sure the Denon is properly decoding the various tracks.  We shall see Smiley Happy.

Gold Problem Solver

FYI the Arris box has a blue power light and does not have component outputs. You may want to check fo sure.

@Hankl wrote:

New Poster

Just echoing the same issue. High end avr shows stereo in after some time. Switching x1 to stereo and back to surround resolves for some time, but eventually reverts back.
Frequent Visitor

I just upgraded to a newer Denon (X3000, latest firmware) and the problem persists.  I see they have been changing the code here, in that I now have a "mono" option as of one of the last updates.  It's also intermittent.  It seems like if the station the unit is tuned to is in DD at the time the AVR comes on, it will show DD.  If it's in a comercial or something, it comes up PL.  I wish they would get this fixed.  Seems like this wouldn't be rocket surgery. 

Gold Problem Solver

Doug,

I have posted this MANY times before in other threads but I guess I can post it again. There is a couple solutions:

1. Get an Arris made DVR (XG1-A with blue power light). It solves this problem.

2. If you have the old Pace made DVR (XG1-P with green power light), the HDMI cable cannot go to the TV first. It must go to your receiver first.

I have a Marantz SR-5008 receiver. It is built on the same general chassis your receiver is. They are "sisters". Connected with an Arris X1 DVR, the surround audio works perfectly in all situations.

@DougPentek wrote:

I just upgraded to a newer Denon (X3000, latest firmware) and the problem persists.  I see they have been changing the code here, in that I now have a "mono" option as of one of the last updates.  It's also intermittent.  It seems like if the station the unit is tuned to is in DD at the time the AVR comes on, it will show DD.  If it's in a comercial or something, it comes up PL.  I wish they would get this fixed.  Seems like this wouldn't be rocket surgery. 

Regular Contributor

Question - I have green x1 dvr boxes - it was just installed 6 months ago - since i am paying a premium for the boxes (i have 2) should i get the new blue power button boxes?  I would think since comcast charges $10 extra for x1 boxes in my area - I feel it is comcast's responsibility to give me the most current equipment.  My opinion - I am asking if the comcast people monitoring these posts please reply - I just think that when renting - I should get the latest equipoment - I would appreciate Comcast's view   -  thank you very much - these forums are a great value.

Gold Problem Solver

Trying to make Comcast responsible for this will fall on deaf ears. You will need to initiate the process and during the first stage of the process you cannot request a particular box. Once your situation reaches Tier 2 support you can request a particular box.

Good luck.

FYI, Comcast employees monitor these forums but rarely reach out to people individually unless they have a problem that appears new or unique. This issue is far from new or unique. If you are expecting a Comcast employee to contact you via this forum, you could be waiting for a very long time...

@applehazar wrote:

Question - I have green x1 dvr boxes - it was just installed 6 months ago - since i am paying a premium for the boxes (i have 2) should i get the new blue power button boxes?  I would think since comcast charges $10 extra for x1 boxes in my area - I feel it is comcast's responsibility to give me the most current equipment.  My opinion - I am asking if the comcast people monitoring these posts please reply - I just think that when renting - I should get the latest equipoment - I would appreciate Comcast's view   -  thank you very much - these forums are a great value.

Regular Contributor

Gold Problem Solver

They don't listen to that either. All telecom companies budget for a certain amount of disconnects. If you leave you are just another insignificant number in the disconnect tally.

That being said, you can always call in and threaten to leave. Once you get to the retention department you will be talking to people who are empowered.

FYI, DirecTV would not automatically upgrade your equipment unless there was a technical reason to do so...

Once again, it falls to you...

@applehazar wrote:

thrills - comcast pete routinely replies - so i guess when it affects system performance and system hardware- comcast employees will not help.  i appreciate your opiniion - i was only hoping comcast cares (as their advertisements say they do)  Smiley Happy - i guess i need to go to sattelite for comcast to listen  ))))   

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

New Poster

I called Comcast to see if I could get the new Arris made boxes to replace the old Pace ones I have now.  

They are telling me that I cannot exchange them at a service center but rather I need to have a technician come out and determine the issue.  If they determine there is no problem, they will charge me $30 for the service call and not replace the boxes.  They also tell me that they cannot request the technician to bring the Arris boxes - so for all i know they are going to show up with the Pace boxes - and I'm going to still have the issue.  The woman was absouloutely rude and for the umpteenth time, Comcast has displayed why they are the absouloute worst customer service company in existence.  

My worry is that the issue with the sound switching from SURROUND to STEREO only seems to happen after my receiver is off for a while.  It is difficult to reproduct the problem on demand.  

Gold Problem Solver

If you can get your trouble ticket escalated to Tier 2, you can request a box. If you want to make sure the tech sees the problem, temporarily connect the HDMI cable from the X1 box directly to your TV. Unless you have a Sony TV, your X1 box will try to stay in stereo... You should be able to recreate it on demand. I had a tech here a little over a week to verify that same problem with Companion boxes and I was able to recreate it on demand.

@Mbaturin wrote:

I called Comcast to see if I could get the new Arris made boxes to replace the old Pace ones I have now.  

They are telling me that I cannot exchange them at a service center but rather I need to have a technician come out and determine the issue.  If they determine there is no problem, they will charge me $30 for the service call and not replace the boxes.  They also tell me that they cannot request the technician to bring the Arris boxes - so for all i know they are going to show up with the Pace boxes - and I'm going to still have the issue.  The woman was absouloutely rude and for the umpteenth time, Comcast has displayed why they are the absouloute worst customer service company in existence.  

My worry is that the issue with the sound switching from SURROUND to STEREO only seems to happen after my receiver is off for a while.  It is difficult to reproduct the problem on demand.  

Contributor

I just upgraded my receiver from an old Denon to Marantz SR5008.  Prior to the upgrade, I had infrequent short audio dropouts that were not annoying enough to me to attempt to replace Pace with Arris as suggested in forums.  The Denon did not switch HDMI, so I naturally reconfigured from:

Audio: Pace ---optical---> Denon ------> speakers

Video: Pace -----------HDMI--------------> TV (VT60)

To:

Audio: Pace --HDMI--> Marantz ------------> speakers

Video:                                         \--HDMI--> TV (VT60)

The setup worked fine at this point, but it quickly became apparent that I couldn’t keep the Pace box outputting surround sound.  Every time I turned the receiver off, the Pace would revert to stereo and I would have to change the Pace setting from surround to stereo and back to surround to get Dolby back.

I went through a series of frustrating experiments to try to overcome this extremely annoying problem. I became convinced that HDMI pass thru was involved.  I turned off HDMI control altogether.  Thinking that Marantz  support would be better than Comcast, I called them for advice but they couldn’t help.

I spoke with Comcast support and they insisted that all of their X1 boxes are manufactured to same spec and that Arris would not perform any better, but I’ve seen enough people represent the dropout fix with Arris to make me think that there is a difference.  At this point I hung up and took a break.

Then I tried this experiment:

Audio: Pace ----optical----> Marantz ----> speakers

Video: Pace -----HDMI----> Marantz ----> TV (VT60)

Reconfiguring the receiver to optical for the audio resolved the problem.  I am able to leave HDMI control on and pass thru is functional.  This configuration seems stable; Pace continues to output Dolby through the optical connection.

I know that optical stays in the digital realm, but I’m not a huge audiophile, and I would very much appreciate any advice as to exactly what I’m sacrificing using optical for the audio connection.  Plus I plan to play with ARC for the first time relatively soon, and I find myself wondering if I will run into problems.

So for Comcast customers with receivers in the mix, is there a good functional reason to favor HDMI over optical cable?  Maybe lip syc issues?  Is there good reason to think that the Arris will allow me to eliminate use of optical?

And unrelatd to this subject, the XR2 remote won't play with my receiver.  My family has gotten used to and actually likes the XR2.  I seem to be leaning towards Logitech Harmony Smart Control because it has hard keys for digits, but they aren't labeled with letters like the XR2 and I do often search by name.  Anybody have suggestions or advice?

Gold Problem Solver

Welcome to the forum JJNorCal,

I have an SR-5008 and a Panasonic plasma. What you are doing now is a bandaid for the old (green power light) Pace made DVR. I have an Arris made X1 DVR. HDMI connected from my X1 DVR directly to my Marantz works perfectly. I do not need the optical connection to make it work right. My setup is in the right surround mode at all times. The old Pace box tries to stay in DD 5.1 when it should switch to Dolby PLII when it receives 2 channel signal. In theory you want to use the HDMI audio because it is less compressed.

My suggestion to you would be to do whatever you need to do in order to get an Arris made DVR. Not only is the sound better but so is the picture quality. The old Pace DVR has an annoying "after image" effect that you WOULD see on a TV as good as yours is.

Good choice on the Harmony remote. You want hard buttons for channel changing, not a touchscreen. I have a wide variety of Harmony remotes, my fav being the Harmony 900.

@JJNorCal wrote:

I just upgraded my receiver from an old Denon to Marantz SR5008.  Prior to the upgrade, I had infrequent short audio dropouts that were not annoying enough to me to attempt to replace Pace with Arris as suggested in forums.  The Denon did not switch HDMI, so I naturally reconfigured from:

Audio: Pace ---optical---> Denon ------> speakers

Video: Pace -----------HDMI--------------> TV (VT60)

To:

Audio: Pace --HDMI--> Marantz ------------> speakers

Video:                                         \--HDMI--> TV (VT60)

The setup worked fine at this point, but it quickly became apparent that I couldn’t keep the Pace box outputting surround sound.  Every time I turned the receiver off, the Pace would revert to stereo and I would have to change the Pace setting from surround to stereo and back to surround to get Dolby back.

I went through a series of frustrating experiments to try to overcome this extremely annoying problem. I became convinced that HDMI pass thru was involved.  I turned off HDMI control altogether.  Thinking that Marantz  support would be better than Comcast, I called them for advice but they couldn’t help.

I spoke with Comcast support and they insisted that all of their X1 boxes are manufactured to same spec and that Arris would not perform any better, but I’ve seen enough people represent the dropout fix with Arris to make me think that there is a difference.  At this point I hung up and took a break.

Then I tried this experiment:

Audio: Pace ----optical----> Marantz ----> speakers

Video: Pace -----HDMI----> Marantz ----> TV (VT60)

Reconfiguring the receiver to optical for the audio resolved the problem.  I am able to leave HDMI control on and pass thru is functional.  This configuration seems stable; Pace continues to output Dolby through the optical connection.

I know that optical stays in the digital realm, but I’m not a huge audiophile, and I would very much appreciate any advice as to exactly what I’m sacrificing using optical for the audio connection.  Plus I plan to play with ARC for the first time relatively soon, and I find myself wondering if I will run into problems.

So for Comcast customers with receivers in the mix, is there a good functional reason to favor HDMI over optical cable?  Maybe lip syc issues?  Is there good reason to think that the Arris will allow me to eliminate use of optical?

And unrelatd to this subject, the XR2 remote won't play with my receiver.  My family has gotten used to and actually likes the XR2.  I seem to be leaning towards Logitech Harmony Smart Control because it has hard keys for digits, but they aren't labeled with letters like the XR2 and I do often search by name.  Anybody have suggestions or advice?

Contributor

Thanks RickGr4!  Really appreciate your help.

Regular Contributor

Gold Problem Solver

Yes Comcast knows. There are complaints about audio in this forum dating back to May 2013.

@applehazar wrote:

I can only say WOW -  Comcast knows this.  but refuses to educate subscribers (to maximize revenue)- someday this will catch up with the execs that laugh with our findings - but that will be long after Comast is no longer in existance.  -  cannot wait for that day!  - a subscriber that now pays $227 a month for inept service - love this forumn - Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

You are welcome.

@JJNorCal wrote:

Thanks RickGr4!  Really appreciate your help.

Contributor

I complained to Comcast about my surround sound problem indicating that I had it on good authority that Arris does not have the problem, and they have agreed to send out a tech.

I thought I would share something I ran into which is unrelated to surround sound issue.  I discovered through accident the magic of ARC.  While using my TV’s native remote (something I don’t often do), I inadvertently hit volume buttons and was happily astonished to discover that it seamlessly controlled the volume on my receiver.  Mute also works perfectly well.  Given that the XR2 remote supports my TV, my family can continue to use it as the one and only remote while watching TV even though the XR2 does not directly support my Marantz receiver.  I have postponed purchase of a Harmony remote for the time being.  Interestingly, ARC functions just fine even though I am still driving my receiver with optical audio, my interim solution to replacing the Pace box.

Gold Problem Solver

That sounds cool however I have two thoughts. When using the ARC connection I would verify that you are in Dolby Digital 5.1 (you should be when using ARC) and my installers have told me instances where ARC is spotty and intermittent. I can't say I have tried it because I have not needed to.

You would think if your Marantz and your Panny TV are up to date you would not have any problems with ARC. FYI my SR-5008 has done two updates since I bought it and last week my Panny plasma just did it's 3rd update in the year plus I have had it.

My main system consists of the X1, SR-5008, Panny plasma, Samsung Blu-ray and SONY CD/SACD Player. My Harmony 900 (along with my Harmony One and 650) control all aspects of the entire system perfectly. Little details such as accessing Netflix of Pandora from either the TV or Blu-ray player are SIMPLE. You should consider it...

I would not accept living without a properly programmed universal remote. My XR2's are buried away, never to be seen or heard from again.

@JJNorCal wrote:

I complained to Comcast about my surround sound problem indicating that I had it on good authority that Arris does not have the problem, and they have agreed to send out a tech.

I thought I would share something I ran into which is unrelated to surround sound issue.  I discovered through accident the magic of ARC.  While using my TV’s native remote (something I don’t often do), I inadvertently hit volume buttons and was happily astonished to discover that it seamlessly controlled the volume on my receiver.  Mute also works perfectly well.  Given that the XR2 remote supports my TV, my family can continue to use it as the one and only remote while watching TV even though the XR2 does not directly support my Marantz receiver.  I have postponed purchase of a Harmony remote for the time being.  Interestingly, ARC functions just fine even though I am still driving my receiver with optical audio, my interim solution to replacing the Pace box.

Contributor

Use of ARC to control receiver volume from TV remote has not affected my audio quality; I’m still getting Dolby.  I will have to revisit once I get Arris unit and go back to use of HDMI.

I used to have a Pronto remote.  Really liked it, but broken and irreplaceable now that Philips has bailed.  I will likely pursue Harmony, but I know I won’t get the same configurability I got with my old Pronto, and now I have some time.  My family has an option to turn TV and receiver on/off, full video functionality, and full audio functionality from one remote that they are used to and like.  I believe the XR2 will be in use in my family even after I get a Harmony.

RickGr4, thanks again.  Really appreciate your expertise and perspective.

Gold Problem Solver

Once you learn Harmony's software, it can do anything a Pronto can do... Also another forum member just reported last week that his Marantz remotes (Pronto based) was struggling to learn X1 commands. I would like to test an XR2 with an IR code reader. I think there is some funky stuff goin on. Harmony remotes handle X1 easily and with no extra effort.

@JJNorCal wrote:

Use of ARC to control receiver volume from TV remote has not affected my audio quality; I’m still getting Dolby.  I will have to revisit once I get Arris unit and go back to use of HDMI.

I used to have a Pronto remote.  Really liked it, but broken and irreplaceable now that Philips has bailed.  I will likely pursue Harmony, but I know I won’t get the same configurability I got with my old Pronto, and now I have some time.  My family has an option to turn TV and receiver on/off, full video functionality, and full audio functionality from one remote that they are used to and like.  I believe the XR2 will be in use in my family even after I get a Harmony.

RickGr4, thanks again.  Really appreciate your expertise and perspective.

Frequent Visitor

New X1 install about three weeks ago.  The anyroom box won't "stick" in surround, and after trying every possible connection configuration, several calls to Comcast and a visit from the tech, no luck.  The box is outputting a stereo signal.  My TV and receiver are top notch and can't possibly be the source of this problem.  How can such an "advanced" system be so lame? 

Luckly I'm not locked into a contract so I'll probably just switch to AT&T if this can't be fixed.  Really getting tired of Comcast technical problems and lack of support.  

Gold Problem Solver

Your answers are contained within the two threads you have posted in. Did you reads the threads???

@nacefamily wrote:

New X1 install about three weeks ago.  The anyroom box won't "stick" in surround, and after trying every possible connection configuration, several calls to Comcast and a visit from the tech, no luck.  The box is outputting a stereo signal.  My TV and receiver are top notch and can't possibly be the source of this problem.  How can such an "advanced" system be so lame? 

Luckly I'm not locked into a contract so I'll probably just switch to AT&T if this can't be fixed.  Really getting tired of Comcast technical problems and lack of support.  

Contributor

Comcast finally replaced my Pace box with Arris.  I can now confirm that surround sticks across receiver reboots when using the Arris box, thus fixing my biggest problem.

However, I have noticed surround will not reliably hold after switching the input on my receiver to AirPlay.  I suspect that it downgrades to stereo when the new source produces stereo.  So now it is a matter of changing Arris unit back to surround every time I am done using another input source to my receiver and have switched back to cable.  Still not ideal, but much better than before.

My replacement model # is mx011anm.  Googling, I notice that there is also a mx011bnm.  Anybody know if there are any differences?

Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

I would like to test an XR2 with an IR code reader. I think there is some funky stuff goin on. Harmony remotes handle X1 easily and with no extra effort.

I believe that if you do so, you will find that the parity bit alternates each time a command is issued.  That means that the "learning" remote will have to record both parities of the command so that the correct parity command will always be received by the X1 DVR controlled.  As I have mentioned in the past, my old Sony RM-AV3000 and RM-AV-3100 universal remotes couldn't do that.  That's the reason that I reluctantly purchased my Logitech Harmony 650 universal remote.

Frequent Visitor

I had Comcast out last Thursday to replace my Pace DVR with the Arris.  I can also confirm that surround is now working properly.  Surround on my receiver changes based on program material now, and also negotiated properly with the receiver when the receiver is powered on.  Both were problems with the Pace.

Gold Problem Solver

This is a good thing...

@DougPentek wrote:

I had Comcast out last Thursday to replace my Pace DVR with the Arris.  I can also confirm that surround is now working properly.  Surround on my receiver changes based on program material now, and also negotiated properly with the receiver when the receiver is powered on.  Both were problems with the Pace.

Frequent Visitor

Yes I've read all the treads and tried everything but nothing helps.  Spoke to two Comcast "engineers" and they finally acknolwedged that it's a software problem that can't be fixed.  They are working on a solution but couldn't give me a time frame.  The whole system is so clunky I'll probably just switch to AT&T or Verizon when I get a new TV in a couple of months.  

Gold Problem Solver

The Arris made X1 DVR will solve your problems...

@nacefamily wrote:

Yes I've read all the treads and tried everything but nothing helps.  Spoke to two Comcast "engineers" and they finally acknolwedged that it's a software problem that can't be fixed.  They are working on a solution but couldn't give me a time frame.  The whole system is so clunky I'll probably just switch to AT&T or Verizon when I get a new TV in a couple of months.  

Frequent Visitor

OK thanks I'll check that out appreciate it.  

Gold Problem Solver

If you had truly "read all the threads" you would have found that piece of information very quickly... just sayin...

@nacefamily wrote:

OK thanks I'll check that out appreciate it.  

Regular Visitor

The AUDIO sounds like it's 'compressed'.  The background music/noise is louder than dialog...Especially watching football and Hallmark station.  Same with movies that we've purchased through xfinity...the volume has to be turned up a lot to hear the movie and again, the background is much louder than the foreground.  I have rebooted, checked all settings on box and tv...

New Poster

I just upgraded to the new X1 Arris box. I have a Samsung 8700 and an LG BH9431PW home theater system. I had no problem with ARC technology until I we switched to the X1. The comcast technician and I played with configurations for 3 hours. The X1 simply does not support ARC. 
We now are using optical as the bridge from the cable to the home theater. I am now only using the ARC connection for video from Home Theater to TV and a sound loop back for using smart features net flix and amazon...
It definitely needs fixed....

Silver Problem Solver

@xanshen wrote:

I just upgraded to the new X1 Arris box. I have a Samsung 8700 and an LG BH9431PW home theater system. I had no problem with ARC technology until I we switched to the X1. The comcast technician and I played with configurations for 3 hours. The X1 simply does not support ARC. 
We now are using optical as the bridge from the cable to the home theater. I am now only using the ARC connection for video from Home Theater to TV and a sound loop back for using smart features net flix and amazon...
It definitely needs fixed....

Try turning off ARC.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

The X1 box does not work with the JBL sounbar Optical cable

Regular Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

The Arris made X1 DVR will solve your problems.

Thank you RickGr4......I was so frustrated and wasted so much time, until I read your posts....you are 100% correct!...the Aris box fixed my problems instantly. Again, a since thank you!

Gold Problem Solver

You are welcome...

Comcast wants us to think the Arris DVR and Pace DVR are exactly the same. They may be extremely close but they are not exactly the same. They have different firmware which accounts for the issues you encountered.

@Rich0449 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

The Arris made X1 DVR will solve your problems.

Thank you RickGr4......I was so frustrated and wasted so much time, until I read your posts....you are 100% correct!...the Aris box fixed my problems instantly. Again, a since thank you!

New Poster

I've been living with this audio issue with my Pace DVR box for a long time, but It seems for about the past week my Pace box has finally been able to maintain the Dolby Digital connection to my receiver !  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that an update was made that finally fixed this issue once and for all as in the past I was never able to go more than a day without losing the Dolby Digital connection.

New Poster

Also appears that the box can now maintain a DD connection with my receiver as well. Hoping it sticks.
Bronze Problem Solver

@DK14 wrote:
Also appears that the box can now maintain a DD connection with my receiver as well. Hoping it sticks.

The recent X1 firmware upgrade to version 2.0 fixed these issues for me.  I've had them since 8/13 when I first got my 3 X1 DVR's.

Go to "Settings" then "About" and you should see "Receiver" version 2.0.0.

New Poster

There is supposed to be a fix by the end of March 2015.  The issue happens once the X1 is re-booted.  The current work around until the firmware update is to go to the audio settings, switch to stereo, then switch back to surround.  It will hold until the next re-boot, so you may have to do this daily.

New Poster

I was just installed and my reciever shows "XRE Protocol version 2.8.0" and "Reciever: Native Version: 2.0.0".  The problem persists, but as reported appears to hold surround setting even though reporting "Stereo".  I hope it will not require continual monitoring to insure the setting holds.

Regular Contributor

i
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@orion50 wrote:

I was just installed and my reciever shows "XRE Protocol version 2.8.0" and "Reciever: Native Version: 2.0.0".  The problem persists, but as reported appears to hold surround setting even though reporting "Stereo".  I hope it will not require continual monitoring to insure the setting holds.

orion - read the last half dozen postings in this thread - http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/m-p/2496384#M6428...