Community Forum

X1 box keeps rebooting

New Poster

X1 box keeps rebooting

I've had this system installed for a few days now and different technician came and they couldn't figure out the issue.  

I am now aware of so many customers having the same problem but why Comcast can't have a resolution about it?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 box keeps rebooting

When X1 boxes reboot often they are fighting with signals. Sorry but you need to keep pushing. If you live in an MDU (multiple dwelling unit) such as a condo or apartment you may have a different set of issues. But if you live in a single family home your issues can be fixed easily.

bernalnena wrote:

I've had this system installed for a few days now and different technician came and they couldn't figure out the issue.  

I am now aware of so many customers having the same problem but why Comcast can't have a resolution about it?

New Poster

I,m have the same problem and live in a single family home. Been trying all day. I have three other boxes that working fine. I notice the small boxex have this booting problem more than my DVR. I'll keep trying but they need to address this soon.

Silver Problem Solver

Deac95 wrote:

I,m have the same problem and live in a single family home. Been trying all day. I have three other boxes that working fine. I notice the small boxex have this booting problem more than my DVR. I'll keep trying but they need to address this soon.

My first guess is that there is a problem with the box's connection to the powered amp.  If I were you, I would check every coax connection.  And be sure there are no splitters anywhere.

For starters.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

As I just said earlier in this thread "when X1 boxes are rebooting often that means they are fighting signal levels".

You need to address this. Not "they". This issue and this observation are discussed in the forum on an hourly basis. If you have three X1 boxes in your house that work and one that doesn't THAT MEANS YOU HAVE A WIRING/CONNECTION/SIGNAL ISSUE WITHIN your house and that is not Comcast's responsibility. It is yours.

Here are the choices you have. Pay Comcast to fix it for you. Or, pay a 3rd party AV provider to fix it for you. Or, find a friend or family member that can help you. Or, figure it out for yourself.

Sorry Deac but I am 98% sure you are pointing your finger in the wrong direction here...

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem, and Comcast installed every thing, wire, amp, modem, X11 boxes, etc. the explaination is the updating being sent is failing. All the equipment has been changed three times, and the cable wiring has been replaced by Comcast. We are now having the wiring laid on top of the floors as a test, and still have the problems. It's terrible to have a brand new house and have had cable TV issues for two month,
Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like the problem could be wiring or connections in your neighborhood and Comcast needs to get a line crew out to check it.

dm621 wrote:
I'm having the same problem, and Comcast installed every thing, wire, amp, modem,X11 boxes, etc. theexplaination is the updating being sent is failing. All the equipment has been changed three times, and the cable wiring has been replaced by Comcast. We are now having the wiring laid on top of the floors as a test, and still have the problems. It's terrible to have a brand new house and have had cable TV issues for two month,

Gold Problem Solver

dm621 wrote:
I'm having the same problem, and Comcast installed every thing, wire, amp, modem, X11 boxes, etc. the explaination is the updating being sent is failing. All the equipment has been changed three times, and the cable wiring has been replaced by Comcast. We are now having the wiring laid on top of the floors as a test, and still have the problems. It's terrible to have a brand new house and have had cable TV issues for two month,

As an ex-electrician who used to run production on new subdivisions, did Comcast replace ALL of your homeruns inside the walls?  Has any technician stated anything along the lines of Ingress???  

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

All new Rg-6quad cable during first installation
They replaced with same type,
Now as a test cable just ran along floor.
Wiring replaced outside also.
Every box they bring states the updates fail

I believe its in the equipment, even purchased new tv's to out fit the new house

Thanks all

Silver Problem Solver

I hope you are ordering replacement boxes.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

They keep giving me replacements
Silver Problem Solver

I had a problem with my initial installation.  I had my tech call his supervisor and the supervisor figured out what was wrong and fixed the installation.

New Poster

Same problem here. I've had Comcast for a month and our X1 receiver, we have only one box, keeps getting stuck on 'boot'. For the past few days we have sat down to watch TV and the receiver displays 'boot' where the clock is located. We have to unplug the power and plug it back in to reset the system. We have even had the box reboot while watching programming.

Our home is new. New cable lines were run throughout the home. A new line was installed from the pole to the home. The cable run from the outlet was short, it is longer now since we relocated the TV, and I am using a different cable. To me, this isn't a signal issue or a cabling issue. It seems like a bug in the software or a hardware issue with the box. I have yet to contact tech support to get their help.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry to disagree but in your case it probably is a wiring/connection/signal issue. Please remember that the X1 guide resides on the cloud. Almost every time you press a button on the remote, you are sending signals back and forth on the cloud. For this reason X1 boxes are MUCH more picky and fussy about signal quality. Also, with X1 outgoing signals are just as important is incoming. New lines in your home certainly help, but the problem could be the line in your yard (happens more often than you might think) or a bad connection blocks down the street from your house.

Even on the small chance you have a defective box (it's rare but it does happen) you still need to get a tech out. The issues you are having can be fixed but it is highly unlikely the issues you are having can be fixed remotely. 877-896-8678.

X1 can and does work. After sorting out an initial bug, my X1 service has been trouble free for almost two years. I believe RobertWy is also around two years worth of trouble free X1 service.

indytim wrote:

Same problem here. I've had Comcast for a month and our X1 receiver, we have only one box, keeps getting stuck on 'boot'. For the past few days we have sat down to watch TV and the receiver displays 'boot' where the clock is located. We have to unplug the power and plug it back in to reset the system. We have even had the box reboot while watching programming.

Our home is new. New cable lines were run throughout the home. A new line was installed from the pole to the home. The cable run from the outlet was short, it is longer now since we relocated the TV, and I am using a different cable. To me, this isn't a signal issue or a cabling issue. It seems like a bug in the software or a hardware issue with the box. I have yet to contact tech support to get their help.

Gold Problem Solver

indytim wrote:

YOu may have a new home, with new cable,but you also could have bad connectors, bad wall plates, or even HIDDEN splitters that you cannot see ( buried in the wall outlets )...   open a few of them up and try to eliminate any uneeded splitters and make sure all connections are tight..

Frequent Visitor

Turns out Comcast Never grounded the system. as per the NEC the system needs a ground, plus X1 also needs a filter installed on the incoming

Problem is resolved
Frequent Visitor

Contact customer service and have them review what equipment is installed. Don't wait for them to check, it's easy to miss. They will know what you have (trust me, no matter what someone else says, they can see all the equipment on the line)

If there is not a filter on the line, and you are having problems, the filter will help. X1 will have growing pains but Comcast is working on it
Official Employee
Moved: