Community Forum

X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only

Regular Visitor

X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only

The audio select option on the X1 box will only send a stereo signal out over the hdmi cable I have connected to my Samsung 6000 series HD TV. This appears to be a mystery to comcast. I have had a technician come out and replace my box and still only stereo. For perspective, I have my apple tv connected via an HDMI cable and it sends out a dolby digital signal which my tv recognizes and processes. From my point of view, the x box and my HG tv are not recognizing one another. Any ideas?

Expert

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only


@peterac50 wrote:

The audio select option on the X1 box will only send a stereo signal out over the hdmi cable I have connected to my Samsung 6000 series HD TV. This appears to be a mystery to comcast. I have had a technician come out and replace my box and still only stereo. For perspective, I have my apple tv connected via an HDMI cable and it sends out a dolby digital signal which my tv recognizes and processes. From my point of view, the x box and my HG tv are not recognizing one another. Any ideas?


does your TV have more than just 2 speakers? the cable box has to be connected to the receiver/soundbar that does the decoding or if your TV has ARC the audio is returned to the receiver/soundbar via the ARC connection (Audio return channel - HDMI).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only

no, 2 speakers only. But it will passthrough a digital signal 5.1 through the optical digial output on the back - if it gets that signal. Apple tv simply sends that digital signal it goes right to the samsung sound bar I am using. But the xfinity x1 box only seems willing or able to send the stereo and it appears you can nolonger force a digital signal with the current software. Yes when I connect dirctly from the box to the soundbar via an hdmi cable and arc it back to the tv - it sends a digital signal. But that is not the way I would prefer to hook up. Just hoping there was a work around to use the passthrough feature on the tv.

Expert

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only


@peterac50 wrote:

no, 2 speakers only. But it will passthrough a digital signal 5.1 through the optical digial output on the back - if it gets that signal. Apple tv simply sends that digital signal it goes right to the samsung sound bar I am using. But the xfinity x1 box only seems willing or able to send the stereo and it appears you can nolonger force a digital signal with the current software. Yes when I connect dirctly from the box to the soundbar via an hdmi cable and arc it back to the tv - it sends a digital signal. But that is not the way I would prefer to hook up. Just hoping there was a work around to use the passthrough feature on the tv.


fiber and coaxial audio is very old now deprecated technology. you might look at the settings - device menu and try the various audio output settings to see if (for example) the expert mode) the set top box can output what your TV needs to see to send to your sound bar. not possible to run the hdmi directly to the soundbar and link it to the TV (audio and visual)?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only

Yes, I can run the hdmi directly to the Soundbar and get Dolby digital but for a variety of reasons don’t want to do that. Chief among them is that I have only one hdmi input on the Soundbar and I use Apple TV. Don’t want to keep changing the audio input. 

Expert

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only


@peterac50 wrote:

Yes, I can run the hdmi directly to the Soundbar and get Dolby digital but for a variety of reasons don’t want to do that. Chief among them is that I have only one hdmi input on the Soundbar and I use Apple TV. Don’t want to keep changing the audio input. 


does your apple TV have an hdmi jack labelled 'ARC' ?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 box and audio output via hdmi - stereo only

No. JUst a single hdmi output