Community Forum

X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Frequent Visitor

X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Having very annoying audio drops on fairly new XG1v4-A through AV Receiver in Dolby Digital 5.1 mode.  Audio drops occur about every 3-5 minutes for about one second each.  Other content from DVD player, Apple TV and Smart TV apps (Netflix, Amazon) works fine without issue.

 

We use a signal amplifier and signal strength was tested recently by a Comcast tech and verified to be acceptable.  What now - need to find a solution??

 

Hoping a comcast tech responds to this post to help me diagnose or should I take the box to the local Xfinity store and replace?

 

any help greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

 

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Having very annoying audio drops on fairly new XG1v4-A through AV Receiver in Dolby Digital 5.1 mode.  Audio drops occur about every 3-5 minutes for about one second each.  Other content from DVD player, Apple TV and Smart TV apps (Netflix, Amazon) works fine without issue.

 

We use a signal amplifier and signal strength was tested recently by a Comcast tech and verified to be acceptable.  What now - need to find a solution??

 

Hoping a comcast tech responds to this post to help me diagnose or should I take the box to the local Xfinity store and replace?

 

any help greatly appreciated.


would you detail how the set top box is connected to your equipment? have you tried changing the set top box audio settings to expert or off of expert ouput?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Thanks for responding.  To clarify, I am having audio dropout issues with both expert mode and auto detect (Dolby 5.1 mode).

 

STB is connected via HDMI directly  to new Visio 75” e series tv.  TV is connected via digital audio output (optical) to Onkyo AV 605 which does not support ARC. Signal is transmitted from TV to Receiver via optical cable  in Dolby 5.1  Thinking about connecting STB via HDMI directly to AV Receiver and then via HDMI from receiver to TV to see if that helps the audio drop out problem. 

 

I am aware of the many posts on this issue and have read most of them without finding any ideas about how to solve my issue. Hoping someone can help. 

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Thanks for responding.  To clarify, I am having audio dropout issues with both expert mode and auto detect (Dolby 5.1 mode).

 

STB is connected via HDMI directly  to new Visio 75” e series tv.  TV is connected via digital audio output (optical) to Onkyo AV 605 which does not support ARC. Signal is transmitted from TV to Receiver via optical cable  in Dolby 5.1  Thinking about connecting STB via HDMI directly to AV Receiver and then via HDMI from receiver to TV to see if that helps the audio drop out problem. 

 

I am aware of the many posts on this issue and have read most of them without finding any ideas about how to solve my issue. Hoping someone can help. 


did you try feeding the set top box to the receiver and let the receiver feed the audio/video to the TV via the HDMI to TV connection?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Well after researching and testing, apparently my Onkyo 605 won’t feed audio back out to the TV (through HDMI Out) which means we would only be able to watch xfinity content through our Onkyo surround system which wouldn’t work well in our household as we use the quieter TV speakers when people are sleeping. 

 

So my only hope is to either find the real cause of the audio dropouts (should I exchange my xg1v4) or to find an xfinity set top box which has two outputs (either 2 HDMIs or 1 HDMI and a digital output (coax or optical) like I had before upgrading to the 4K box. This would allow me to drive audio to the TV and the receiver and hopefully find a cabling scenario which eliminates the audio drops. 

 

So is there a version of the 4K STB which provides an extra HDMI Output and/or a digital audio output?  

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Well after researching and testing, apparently my Onkyo 605 won’t feed audio back out to the TV (through HDMI Out) which means we would only be able to watch xfinity content through our Onkyo surround system which wouldn’t work well in our household as we use the quieter TV speakers when people are sleeping. 

 

So my only hope is to either find the real cause of the audio dropouts (should I exchange my xg1v4) or to find an xfinity set top box which has two outputs (either 2 HDMIs or 1 HDMI and a digital output (coax or optical) like I had before upgrading to the 4K box. This would allow me to drive audio to the TV and the receiver and hopefully find a cabling scenario which eliminates the audio drops. 

 

So is there a version of the 4K STB which provides an extra HDMI Output and/or a digital audio output?  


does your TV have an HDMI port with ARC capability to feed the audio to your receiver from the TV?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

A shot in the dark; does yiour TV have a CEC setting?

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Thanks Rustyben for sticking with me on this. 

 

Yes, my tv is a fairly new 4K Visio m70 e3 and does have ARC but unfortunately my Onkyo 605 only supports HDMI 1.3 and it does NOT have ARC. 

 

I don’t think I want to run my xg1v4 HDMI thru the receiver and then to the TV in hopes it might solve the audio drops as I don’t believe the receiver is capable of transferring a 4K signal thru to the TV. Nor is it transferring the xg1v4 audio thru to the tv so I wouldn’t be able to use the tv speakers for any xfinity content.

 

So I went to the Xfinity store yesterday and of course nobody there has heard of any audio drop out issues. They indicated there are no 4K STB’s with an extra HDMI or separate audio out.  I  picked up an older noisy PX001 which has a digital optical output in addition to an HDMI port which would give me a couple alternative cabling options in hopes of solving the audio drop problem.  I haven’t hooked it up yet as I’m not sure whether I want to give up my quiet sleek 4K box and go backwards or just live with the annoying audio drops. 

 

Things I haven’t yet tried

1) simply replacing the xg1v4 in hopes it is defective in some way

2) calling xfinity and asking for them to reset my xg1v4 if there is such a thing

3) replacing the digital optical cable (running from tv audio output to receiver) in hopes it is defective in some way (although the other streaming content from the smart tv (Netflix, etc) is transferring to the receiver just fine without audio issues so cable is not likely the issue. 

 

anything else you can think of trying?

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Yes my fairly new Visio TV and my older Onkyo 605 receiver both have CEC which to my knowledge, I am not using.  How would that help me?  Can the CEC be causing the audio drop outs in some way? Or are you saying that CEC can solve my issue some other way?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Yes my fairly new Visio TV and my older Onkyo 605 receiver both have CEC which to my knowledge, I am not using.  How would that help me?  Can the CEC be causing the audio drop outs in some way? Or are you saying that CEC can solve my issue some other way?


I would try toggling CEC off and on (with a power off/power on cycle) to see if it makes a difference.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Thanks, I will try powering the tv off/on after resetting CEC to off (from ARC only) setting.  Yesterday, I tried strengthening an already acceptable signal by removing a splitter on the same line (which didn’t accomplish anything).  I also changed my optical cable (from tv to receiver) and that didn’t accomplish anything either.

 

Today I will toggle the audio on my Xfinity 4K box down to stereo which I think will prove this is only a digital 5.1 issue.  I will also try resetting my 4K box and will also swap my 4K box (which is part of the family room surround system) with one of the remote x1 boxes (px032ani) and see if that isolates the problem to the new 4K box. Again, all non-xfinity steaming content originating from my smart tv to my av receiver or from my Apple TV/DVD player all work without dropouts. 

 

Other than that, I have no clue what else to do other than to request a new 4K box (shot in the dark) or downgrade to an older box which I don’t really want to do. 

 

Any other ideas welcome.  I read the hundreds of posts on this issue but didn’t find any good answers.  Other than getting a new 4K box, not sure how a service call will help me given the signal has been verified already. 

 

If I can’t find an answer, seems I will need to find rentable movies and other steaming content via other services like iTunes, amazon, VUDU which seems like a loss of revenue to Comcast so hoping they don’t give up trying to fix this. 

 

Any help appreciated.....

 

 

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Thanks, I will try powering the tv off/on after resetting CEC to off (from ARC only) setting.  Yesterday, I tried strengthening an already acceptable signal by removing a splitter on the same line (which didn’t accomplish anything).  I also changed my optical cable (from tv to receiver) and that didn’t accomplish anything either.

 

Today I will toggle the audio on my Xfinity 4K box down to stereo which I think will prove this is only a digital 5.1 issue.  I will also try resetting my 4K box and will also swap my 4K box (which is part of the family room surround system) with one of the remote x1 boxes (px032ani) and see if that isolates the problem to the new 4K box. Again, all non-xfinity steaming content originating from my smart tv to my av receiver or from my Apple TV/DVD player all work without dropouts. 

 

Other than that, I have no clue what else to do other than to request a new 4K box (shot in the dark) or downgrade to an older box which I don’t really want to do. 

 

Any other ideas welcome.  I read the hundreds of posts on this issue but didn’t find any good answers.  Other than getting a new 4K box, not sure how a service call will help me given the signal has been verified already. 

 

If I can’t find an answer, seems I will need to find rentable movies and other steaming content via other services like iTunes, amazon, VUDU which seems like a loss of revenue to Comcast so hoping they don’t give up trying to fix this. 

 

Any help appreciated.....


the optical cable was replaced many years ago by carrying digital audio stream via the HDMI cable. have you tried using the audio without the limited-capability optical cable?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

I already use an HDMI cable from the 4K cable box to the 4K tv.  However, as indicated in an earlier post, my Onkyo AV receiver doesn’t have ARC so the only way to get the xfinity audio signal to the receiver for surround sound is via an optical cable from the audio output of the tv.  I did not want to run the 4K box HDMI signal to the av receiver because it doesn’t “pass thru” the audio channel to the tv speakers (which we want to use sometimes) and not sure it would pass thru the full 4K video signal from the receiver to the TV.

 

If the 4K cable box had a secondary audio output (like the older boxes have), I could run the HDMI to the receiver and a secondary audio connection to the tv. 

 

Of course, none of these scenarios answer why I keep getting intermittent audio drops - which is the real issue here. 

 

 

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

I already use an HDMI cable from the 4K cable box to the 4K tv.  However, as indicated in an earlier post, my Onkyo AV receiver doesn’t have ARC so the only way to get the xfinity audio signal to the receiver for surround sound is via an optical cable from the audio output of the tv.  I did not want to run the 4K box HDMI signal to the av receiver because it doesn’t “pass thru” the audio channel to the tv speakers (which we want to use sometimes) and not sure it would pass thru the full 4K video signal from the receiver to the TV.

 

If the 4K cable box had a secondary audio output (like the older boxes have), I could run the HDMI to the receiver and a secondary audio connection to the tv. 

 

Of course, none of these scenarios answer why I keep getting intermittent audio drops - which is the real issue here. 


to diagnose the path has to be simplified. as you add back components in the path and the problem returns you know the source. when sound is dropping out, move audio to only TV speakers. dropping out? if not then  it is the audio path to the receiver (cable, receiver). did you try changing the audio settings in the set top box to/from expert mode?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Hi @giantsfan007

 

Has there been a change on your end after checking following the steps provided by @Rustyben


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

I've had my own experience with the same kind of audio dropouts on the XG1v4 and my Vizio M55-C2 4K TV and Vizio SB4051-C0 soundbar: (HDMI from X1 to TV's HDMI 5 port, then HDMI-ARC to soundbar).  Audio dropouts did not occur when using my Apple TV 4k, XBox One, or the native apps on the TV. 

 

  1. Changing the Audio settings on the X1 from Auto (which gives Dolby 5.1) to Expert (passthrough) didn't help. Audio dropouts persisted. Changing it to Stereo helps, audio dropouts stopped, but rendered my 5.1 system useful only as a 2.1.
  2. Replacing HDMI cables with known good ones didn't help. Audio dropouts persisted.
  3. Turning off Bitstream on the TV audio output and changing it to PCM also helped, but turned off 5.1 audio. Turning off all other audio enhancements didn't help either. 
  4. Using only the TV speakers and not the soundbar helps, but renders horrible sound. 
  5. Turning off all audio enhancements on the soundbar didn't help. Audio dropouts persisted. 
  6. Changing the Display output of the X1 from 2160p60 to a lower resolution, or moving the X1 HDMI connection to a port not capable of this resolution, helps. Audio dropouts stopped.
  7. DIsconnecting the HDMI-ARC cable from the TV to the soundbar and using an optical cable instead, didn't help. Audio dropouts persisted.
  8. Turning off CEC on the TV, forcing an optical connection from the TV to the soundbar, then reset both the TV and soundbar to factory settings, helped for a time. However, the dropouts returned once I switched inputs from the X1 to a different device, or after an undetermined time. 

 

My initial suspicion is that there's something amiss with the Vizio TV's audio processing that causes it to stutter every few minutes,  yet the problem doesn't happen with the devices other than the Comcast box. 

 

Since only Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube 4k is supported on 4k on the X1 box, and I can watch those apps on my Vizio TV or Apple TV at full resolution settings, I wound up using my Apple TV 4k on the HDMI 5 port to set it at 2160p60, and put my XG1V4 box on HDMI 2 with 1080p60 resolution. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Since the audio drops are intermittent, its very difficult and time consuming to diagnose on a trial and error basis.  Here are the things I am going to try next:

 

1)  down-selecting the resolution on the XG1v4 (as suggested by darkangelic).

 

2) routing the HDMI connection from the 4K box first to the AV receiver and then to the TV which is not a good long term solution for a few reasons but might isolate if there is an issue with the direct connection between the xg1v4 and the Vizio HDMI input. 

 

3) the only other thing I can think of is to place a service call to replace the XG1v4 (these boxes are not available at the xfinity store).

 

Other than that, I believe I have tried everything else. There appear to be solutions which involve downgrading the audo to 2.1 from 5.1 which is not acceptable since my surround system is important to me but I suppose if I am watching an Xfinity broadcast and ready to pull my hair out from the audio drops, I can downselect to 2.1 which may eliminate the drops long enough for me to finish watching my show. Obviously, “on demand” movie renting on Xfinity has been discontinued and moved to other platforms such as iTunes until I can figure out the Xfinity issue. 

 

I have tried all other ideas suggested. 

 

 

Official Employee

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Hi @giantsfan007

 

I can help by shipping a new box to see if this helps. If you'd like to try a new box, please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

 

2) routing the HDMI connection from the 4K box first to the AV receiver and then to the TV which is not a good long term solution for a few reasons but might isolate if there is an issue with the direct connection between the xg1v4 and the Vizio HDMI input. 

 

 


You can do that, but since the receiver is HDMI 1.3, you'll lose 4K capability if the signal is passed through the receiver before it gets to the TV.  You might as well just tone down the resolution to 1080p60. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Well after swapping out my 4K STB with a replacement, the audio drop situation seems to have improved HOWEVER now all of my recordings (old and new) are now in stereo instead of Dolby 5.1 !!!  

 

I read that the older recordings from the cloud may only be in 2.0 but why are new recordings that I just recorded to my new DVR being made in 2.0 for the same broadcasts that I receive in 5.1 when LIVE or On Demand??

 

I know for a fact that my old 4K box recorded in 5.1. Please tell me there is a fix for this....

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box


@giantsfan007 wrote:

Well after swapping out my 4K STB with a replacement, the audio drop situation seems to have improved HOWEVER now all of my recordings (old and new) are now in stereo instead of Dolby 5.1 !!!  

 

I read that the older recordings from the cloud may only be in 2.0 but why are new recordings that I just recorded to my new DVR being made in 2.0 for the same broadcasts that I receive in 5.1 when LIVE or On Demand??

 

I know for a fact that my old 4K box recorded in 5.1. Please tell me there is a fix for this....


recordings made before first reboot overnight will be cloud only (usually) unless you select menu 'refresh DVR' which sets up the new DVR with recordings for today. while watching a recording press the OK button and note the source "DVR" and if it has a little white cloud icon in front you are viewing the cloud copy of the recording.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Yes, the previously scheduled recording that was recorded last night via the new 4K STB did get recorded to the cloud (yes, I see the cloud icon for these programs).  My next scheduled recording isn’t for another few days and instant recordings seem to work fine.  Is there anything i need to do at this point? Should I hit the “sync dvr” button in the device settings - is that the refresh DVR menu option you were talking about?

Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Go to the XG1V4's Audio settings (Xfinity Button | Gear | Device Settings | Audio ] and see if the output is in Stereo instead of Dolby Digital. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Thanks for the post.  Yes, checking the audio setting was the first thing I did.  I am getting 5.1 on live tv, on demand and instant recordings, but only stereo on scheduled recordings which for some reason are recorded on the cloud instead of the local DVR.  If I can get the upcoming scheduled recordings to record to the DVR instead of the cloud, problem solved. 

Official Employee

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Hi @giantsfan007

 

I'm in the process of discussing your issues with the Advanced techs. I've received and replied to your private message. I will continue to update you on the updates I receive in our private message. Chat with you soon. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: X1 audio dropouts on newer 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Hi @giantsfan007

 

I just wanted to reach out to see if there have been any changes on your end? 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!