Community Forum

X1 audio dropouts on 4K XG1v4-A cable box

Highlighted
Expert

Re: X1 audio dropouts on 4K XG1v4-A cable box

@jkoya wrote:

I started having this issue about 2 weeks ago and have replaced my box twice now. Repeated audio drop outs. Replaced HDMI cable, changed inputs, etc. I know the issue is with the cable box itself (faulty sound cards?) as other peripherals such as Apple TV, 4K Blu-Ray player and Roku do not have this problem. Using the TVs own internal apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ are all fine, so I know it is not the TV or the inputs. Previous Xfinity tech support blamed the internal cables of the house. When I had DIsh Network and DirecTV, they were using the same internal cables and never had audio or video problems.

Trying to install the 2nd box yesterday, the remote that came with it was not paired. I couldn't input any numbers to finish setting up the box. Chatted with Xfinity support and was assured the remote was paired and the non-responding remote was due to a TV outage in our area. This was totally and completely false. After finishing the chat, I tried entering numbers with the TV remote and it worked !!  The Sony TV remote could control the new box, but the supplied remote could not. I eventually completed the set up with the Sony TV remote and then had to pair the included remote. I am not impressed with the level of expertise in the Tech Support. 

I don't think I am getting new replacement boxes either, as they all appear to be refurbished units becuase they are cosmetically scratched with no protective plastic wrapped around the unit. What quality assurances are performed before these refurbished boxes are placed back into service ?

Overall - not impressed.

the video/audio is not processed at all by the set top box (x1). the signal is passed on to your TV in streams of video/audio that are synced from beginning to end. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Nope. It was the X1 box. Recent firmware update to the X1 box from Comcast fixed the issues
Highlighted
New Poster

I don't see under Settings where I can check for an update. Did you request Comcast to send the firmware update ? Thank You

Highlighted
Expert

@jkoya wrote:

I don't see under Settings where I can check for an update. Did you request Comcast to send the firmware update ? Thank You

updates roll out over time to set top boxes. you can always reboot the set top box mid day to see if you would have received an update overnight. 

there is no flag nor way to see if one is available.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I have had the audio drop along with the video blip since I have had the xg1v4 box, about ten months now.  I have it running through my Yamaha RX485 receiver into my LG OLED558PUA.  The only way I got this to stop was to turn off LG deep color or set the resolution to 1080p in the xg1v4.  I read somewhere it could be a hdmi bandwidth problem so on a hunch I purchased two 8k hdmi 2.1 ultra high speed 48Gbps cables.  One from xg1v4 to receiver and one out from receiver to LG.  Lo and behold, no more audio drop or video blip and everything running 4k with deep color turned on.  Works for me so thought I would share.