Community Forum

X1 annoying fan noise even in standby.

Frequent Visitor

X1 annoying fan noise even in standby.

Yesterday I switched out my Cisco RNG200 black HD DVR for the new X1 DVR.  

Receiver Native Ver 2.0.2
XRE Protocol Ver 2.8.0
Environment p6-k6

This X1 unit is the one with the blue LED power, which from my google searching tells me its the latest ? 

Unfortuntely, there's a very annoying fan noise that has no way of turning itself off, unless i pull the power from the unit. Even in standby mode... 

I only watch TV for a small percentage of my time spent in my living room, so to have to put up with a constant fan noise even when no TV is being watched is simply unacceptable.  It's coming in at 50db using SPL Meter on my iPhone next to it. and about 45db from my seating position. 

Is this an inherrent design flaw of the unit, and will i be wasting my time and effort, switching the box out for something that will be equally as loud ? 

I understand that this has an atom cpu and some form of cooling is req'd, but even while on standby? 

At this point, i will have to go back to my local store and ask if i can either have my old RNG 200 back or move to a different provider, that has better designed hardware. 

Unless I am just unlucky and that yes the fans do normally only spin up when req'd, and that i have a faulty box.

Please advise. 

Official Employee

Re: X1 annoying fan noise even in standby.

Short answer, go to your local service and request an Arris DVR
Frequent Visitor

Great news thanks Andrew. I was sort of heart broken, i've been looking forward to going to the X1 platform, and now its finally at no extra cost, i went for it, only to be let down like a lead balloon, once i heard the constant fan noise.  

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, i tried calling tech support and they said they were unable to select a Arris box to send out and that if they sent one, it could be any of the X1 boxes..  In other words, i'd probably get the same...   Will go down to my local store tonight, and HOPE the have the Arris boxes...

How does inventory normally work? is a store likely to carry more than one type of box, or is it likely that they'll all be the Pace boxes. and Arris boxes are like gold dust ? 

Also one other question.

I am going to switch my little HD adapter to a proper X1 cable non DVR box, so i can make use of the XOD features and guide.  Are there any ones that make noise?  It would save me having to go thru the entire rigmarole of activation and realizing its making too much noise. 

Silver Problem Solver

It all depends on what each store has.  I know - it's a crapshoot.  And you might get the same model and it might not be noisy.  I have one of the original X1 DVR's, the Pace V1.  My son says it is noisy and my wife and I don't notice it.

Go figure.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Hate to say this. But you're getting old. lol.. As you get older you loose some of the frequency spectrum in your hearing.

Hence your kid hearing the high pitched whine of the fan and you're not...  also some people are just more sensitive to background noises such as fans, and allow it to annoy them.  I am unfortunately one of those people !  Life is easier for those who don't care about such things. I'll be the first to admit it.  

Silver Problem Solver

Julian1972 wrote:

Hate to say this. But you're getting old. lol.. As you get older you loose some of the frequency spectrum in your hearing.

Hence your kid hearing the high pitched whine of the fan and you're not...  also some people are just more sensitive to background noises such as fans, and allow it to annoy them.  I am unfortunately one of those people !  Life is easier for those who don't care about such things. I'll be the first to admit it.  

My 'kid" is 32 years old. <g>  My wife has better hearing than I do and both of our Pace's don't bother her.  And I agree with you.  Don't care .....

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

I am going to switch my little HD adapter to a proper X1 cable non DVR box, so i can make use of the XOD features and guide. Are there any ones that make noise? It would save me having to go thru the entire rigmarole of activation and realizing its making too much noise.

Neither of the secondary boxes ( RNG150 or Xi3) have fans
Silver Problem Solver

Julian1972 wrote:

I am going to switch my little HD adapter to a proper X1 cable non DVR box, so i can make use of the XOD features and guide.  Are there any ones that make noise?  It would save me having to go thru the entire rigmarole of activation and realizing its making too much noise. 

rigmarole of activation = entering account number on the screen?

You would know if it had noise or not before you activated...

Frequent Visitor

Took a lengthy call to the Phillipines actually. Wasn't accepting my account number. Cos our account numbers have an extra digit than what you put in the box.  Go figure. 

Noise wouldn't be so bad, if when you put the box in standby it would STFU, but it doesn't. 

Frequent Visitor

Well after spending my entire Friday night trying to sort this out, i'm back to square one.  

Local store, said they don't do Arris boxes here in SW Florida, even though they clearly had an Arris X1 DVR that looked new to me, on the return desk.

All she could do for me, is give me an old beat up Pace V1, (green led and component inputs) which was EVEN louder than the Pace V3 that I was trying to replace it with. 

So when i got home and powered this vaccum cleaner sounding X1,  I called Customer service, which took me an hour, all they wanted to do is send a tech out at my cost. Told me there wasn't a problem with fan noise on the X1 platform. 

Silver Problem Solver

LOL!!!!

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem.

I even wake up during the night due this noise (the box is in my bedroom).

The cooler never slows down...

Silver Problem Solver

NatashaI wrote:

I have the same problem.

I even wake up during the night due this noise (the box is in my bedroom).

The cooler never slows down...

See if your Comcast Store will exchange it for an XG1-A.

Frequent Visitor

Not as easy as just swapping unfortunately. 

I've now been to two stores... Spent Fri, and Sat morning on this now. Even though they even had an Arris XG1-A as their display model, they tried to deny Arris made X1 boxes. That was at least until i showed them the underside of their own box, with the Arris sticker, and used my SPL meter app on my phone at the difference of noise coming from this box and the other Pace they had on show..  Regardless of which, they said, they didn't have any. But the lady was pretty good, she said, they could request a shipment of an X1 box, and only put it in the notes to make it an Arris box...  I guess i have a one in four chance... 

I also took an Xi3 box, and that's proven to be a pain also... not in noise, but in activation. After an exchange at one of the local stores and it doing the same thing, and a lenghty call to customer service, i'm having a tech come out to look into the issue. Kudos to Comcast for having escalated this to one of their X1 tier 3 support teams, who was savvy enough to realize that there's nothing wrong with my signal, and that i probably need a Point of Entry Filter installed at my box outside...  Anyway, this whole X1 transition hasn't been much fun all in all.  I still have a noisy box, that i'm not going to be able to put up with.. Came downstairs this morning, and it was the first thing i heard... Hopefully the one that's being shipped will resolve...  I now know that the box can be hidden away somewhere completely different and have the remote control still work, but that isn't as simple as it may seem.. I'd still need to get an HDMI signal from the box to the TV, and it would involve cutting into my walls to run cat6 to accomplish that. 

I may just opt for the old 80's style clunky i-guide, instead of the x1... if my third attempt of getting an Arris box fails... That or go to Dish, as the XOD has so many drawbacks on the older iGuide system. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Requesting a self-install kit should get you an Arris box, from my experiences..

Frequent Visitor

Fingers crossed...  I've just rec'd an email from Comcast telling me my self install kit is on its way.

Equipment Details.

SA (Arris) X1 HD DVR Primary Device   QTY 1  

Yeah baby !!!!!   Maybe i shouldn't get so excited quite yet... maybe wait til i open the package.  But its lookin' good ! 

Gold Problem Solver

Julian1972 wrote:

Fingers crossed...  I've just rec'd an email from Comcast telling me my self install kit is on its way.

Equipment Details.

SA (Arris) X1 HD DVR Primary Device   QTY 1  

Yeah baby !!!!!   Maybe i shouldn't get so excited quite yet... maybe wait til i open the package.  But its lookin' good ! 

Hope when you open the box it says Xg1-A on the lower right corner!!!!!!   Half the battle on almost everything!

New Poster

I received the new XG1-P DVR last Thursday and have the same probplem with the fan never turning off, even when the DVR is powered off. It took a great deal of time and effort just to get the equipment and now to have poor quality equipment is unacceptable. Xfinity will get one more chance to get this right or back to DirecTV I go. 

Silver Problem Solver

My two original XG1-P's aren't loud enough to hear them over the TV.

Try to exchange your XG1-P for an XG1-A.

Some markets have the XG2.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Frequent Visitor

You did exchange for the Xi3..?  Had same thing wouldn't activate...figured out that when exchanging old box doesn't get removed automatically in system.  Have phone support make sure and manually remove box turned in from account then try activating.....hope that works 4 u 2

Frequent Visitor

I did get an X1 DVR Arris box, and I'm extremely happy !!   No noticable noise, which is the way it should be !!! 

Also the Xi3 didn't work because i didn't have a MoCA POE filter installed outside.  The contractor tech that came out, said, it couldn't be that, BUT the X1 support team after seeing my initial support call, actually called me, and said that it was because i didn't have my MoCA POE installed outside after going thru some tests on his end... So they're obviously familiar with the issue.....   Signals were good. Soon as the POE Filter was installed, then the 'Enter your account details' screen fired up on the Xi3... So the X1 support team was spot on !   

Good luck on your boxes.. I ended up running around town trying to get an Arris, but had no luck... The home install box came good though.  Suggest you spend the $10 and try that avenue as a start off.