Community Forum

X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

New Poster

X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

So I moved into a new home; had a plain HD box at my old home, on a 7 year old Samsung HD LED television. Picture was was great; I had it running through a Yahama receiver (HD passthrough). Also, had a small HD issue there as well (when I first got HD cable). I got a different box, when a supposed tech came out and said my box was HD (it wasn't and it was fixed). I enjoyed that for years; now I moved etc. Oh, and a side note, my old home had the HD filter outside installed etc. And, new cable lines were installed, too.

Fast forward to now; I have a theater set up in my living room; a Marantz receiver, klipsch speakers, 4k equipment and a 65" Samsung 8000 ultra UHD television with HDR. Everything looks insane via my OPPO 4k bluray player, and when I directly stream Netflix through the television's smart app.

Now, with the X1 DVR boxes I got, the tech came out and replaced a cable in the crawl space, and a new splitter, which should be good. He also replaced a line going into the crawl space outside, too. More so, he even told me that he has a 4k box in his truck, and he got me the new 4k box!

However, when I have been watching HD services -- the picture is very fuzzy. I switched the settings on the box to 1080i, 1080p, to 2180p etc. Still -- a terrible quality HD picture. It literally looks like I am watching a 480p or 720p picture. I had a buddy come out and look; he too said the picture quality is bad. I went over to his house (he has an identical audio and theater set up) and to my surprise -- his picture quality is vastly better (yes he has HD etc.) By the way, everything is passing through the Marantz receiver, with audioquest cinnamon HDMI 2.0 cables -- problem persists (I even tried the cheap HDMI cable Comcast gave me and the no dice there).

I have no idea what is wrong; he told me that he had the same problem too. What was his solution? Comcast had to reburry new lines; and change every cable in the home etc. This worked; I may go this route but I am trying to get a hold of Comcast to schedule a tech. Or, I may go home and get my old HD box and ask for it to be on the account and test the picture quality, too. Not sure if that is possible, since you need (apparently) X1 boxes in each room.

Oh, remember that 7 year old HD LED I aforementioned? Yeah, I plugged that into a second box in the spare bedroom, and it is directly connected to the t.v through HDMI -- still the same problem.

Any other issues like this come up with you guys? If so, what did you do for a solution? I can tell you that, just going down the street and viewing my friends setup with the X1 boxes -- there is a difference in quality. I don't know; maybe I'll ask to get that other box on the account and test it through there, we shall see.
New Poster

Re: Brand new X1 with terrible HD quality and bad picture

I am having this same issue!

At my old home, I had a plain HD box, and my 7 year old Samsung 40" LED had a great picture, actually. Now, I bought a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra UHD with HDR, 8000 series television for my living room, in my new home, and I am using that same television I aforementioned in a spare bedroom, and the quality of picture is terrible. Literally a mile down the road from where I used to live, and I even upgraded to the X1 platform -- nothing is good at all.

I had a buddy come by and he has the premiere x1 package, too, and his HD picture (same devices and same hookups) is superior to mine. He was telling me that, a similar problem occurred with him as well; apparently the lines outside were old, and after Comcast replaced them, and the lines inside with new splitters etc. Everyone's picture got to where they are supposed to be.

I am trying to do this with Comcast, now, and schedule a new tech to come out and look at the problem and get it corrected. I too am paying good money for great quality picture, and a package and it looks terrible.

Also, I have that older television I aforementioned -- i have the x1 box directly plugged into it and it's terrible, still. My nicer 65" is running through a very expensive Marantz receiver, with more home audio equipment; I am also using audioquest cinnamon cables that are $100 and are HDMI 2.0 -- still terrible quality compared to what I was getting at my old home. I am doing what I can to have another technition come out and help fix this problem; my first tech was great, but the quality of picture is still terrible compared to what I was getting before, and even other people have noticed the quality in picture is bad, too.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

First, I have not heard of a 4K X1 box.

Second, try bypassing everything and connect an HDMI cable directly to the TV.

Gold Problem Solver

Find the i/p scaler settings in your AV receiver. If the scaler is on, set it to analog only.
Expert

The Samsung UHD television expects the cable-box to be installed on HDMI 1 on the hub. You should be using a 4K HDMI cable.

The suround sound box belongs on HDMI 4 on the hub. 4K Blu-ray player on HDMI 3 (with 4K HDMI cable). HDMI 2 happens to be a HDMI to DVI and not required here.

Comcast has no 4K signal to deliver over the new cable-box, so the best you will see from them is 720p or 1080i on local 1080i channels. Some 1080i programs are still delivered on some ON DEMAND linear cable.

Expert

Veganrichy wrote:
I am having this same issue!

At my old home, I had a plain HD box, and my 7 year old Samsung 40" LED had a great picture, actually. Now, I bought a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra UHD with HDR, 8000 series television for my living room, in my new home, and I am using that same television I aforementioned in a spare bedroom, and the quality of picture is terrible. Literally a mile down the road from where I used to live, and I even upgraded to the X1 platform -- nothing is good at all.

I had a buddy come by and he has the premiere x1 package, too, and his HD picture (same devices and same hookups) is superior to mine. He was telling me that, a similar problem occurred with him as well; apparently the lines outside were old, and after Comcast replaced them, and the lines inside with new splitters etc. Everyone's picture got to where they are supposed to be.

I am trying to do this with Comcast, now, and schedule a new tech to come out and look at the problem and get it corrected. I too am paying good money for great quality picture, and a package and it looks terrible.

Also, I have that older television I aforementioned -- i have the x1 box directly plugged into it and it's terrible, still. My nicer 65" is running through a very expensive Marantz receiver, with more home audio equipment; I am also using audioquest cinnamon cables that are $100 and are HDMI 2.0 -- still terrible quality compared to what I was getting at my old home. I am doing what I can to have another technition come out and help fix this problem; my first tech was great, but the quality of picture is still terrible compared to what I was getting before, and even other people have noticed the quality in picture is bad, too.

that's not how it works. Bad signal would just break up the image. Set the X1 set top box output to 720p(60) and let your TV do the scaling needed to display on its flat panels. The way digital works is by sending you 'streams' of data (like captions, language, video) and your devices take care of delivering. RickGR4 often tells customers to turn off all optional 'processing' of your picture signals.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

Veganrichy wrote:<snip>

...and please do not cross post.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

These are brand new market boxes, apparently, I was hooked up. I can take a picture for further proof -- but look into it.

And yes, I directly bypassed the receiver in both t.v areas (on two t.vs), no such luck, picture still bad.
New Poster

Well, I had a similar issue at my old home; some of the buried lines outside were much older and needed to be replaced.

When that happened, and when the HD filter was installed on the line -- I had HD cable at home. Not sure why that all happened, but it did.
Official Employee

Hello @Veganrichy. I can assist you with schedule a technician visit so we can address the poor HD quality issue. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist. 

New Poster

The new XG1V4 (4k) box is capable of UHD and HDR/WCG; however, Comcast has no content to display these upgrades. Not even Netflix, when accessed through the new 4k box, will display 4k content yet.

I can't speak to why the image is "fuzzy" as with digital signal it would just break up into little boxes aka pixelation. It could just be due to the fact you are taking an image meant for 1.2million pixels and spreading that to 8million pixels on the 4k tv. You could also have to many signal processing options enabled on the TV. Lastly it could be that the TV has terrible upscaling capabilities. If you are going to let the cable box upscale the image then the receiver and then the TV, that may be another issue as well.

Having the home rewired is not going to help any. You can verify this by asking the tech to run a temp line from outside your home directly into the cable box. That would help determine if you actually need the home to be rewired or not. No reason you should spend the money to do that if you don't need. Hope this helps.
Expert

darkzodiac wrote:
The new XG1V4 (4k) box is capable of UHD and HDR/WCG; however, Comcast has no content to display these upgrades. Not even Netflix, when accessed through the new 4k box, will display 4k content yet.

I can't speak to why the image is "fuzzy" as with digital signal it would just break up into little boxes aka pixelation. It could just be due to the fact you are taking an image meant for 1.2million pixels and spreading that to 8million pixels on the 4k tv. You could also have to many signal processing options enabled on the TV. Lastly it could be that the TV has terrible upscaling capabilities. If you are going to let the cable box upscale the image then the receiver and then the TV, that may be another issue as well.

Having the home rewired is not going to help any. You can verify this by asking the tech to run a temp line from outside your home directly into the cable box. That would help determine if you actually need the home to be rewired or not. No reason you should spend the money to do that if you don't need. Hope this helps.

that is not how any of the digital signal functions. you have a bad signal to the set top box and must get a tech to check it out to determine the problem. There are speed diagnostic program (episodes) on netflix to check your signal data rates as the signal 'trains'. If the Netfilx is mpeg4 you will have a much better stream rate (pixel data) as mpeg4 is so much more efficient. I wouild recommend that since Comcast does not allow a pass-through native setting that you set the STB output to either 720p or 1080p. Let the TV upconvert from there but note that any native 1080i is not going to have the same quality as 720p and no channel is broadcast in 1080p. 

Gold Problem Solver

Rusty,

Considering you own such low quality and old audio/video gear, please provide your proof to this statement: "Let the TV upconvert from there but note that any native 1080i is not going to have the same quality as 720p". I am sorry but you are dead wrong here and you are misleading Comcast customers.

While this statement is technically true "no channel is broadcast in 1080p" plenty of 1080p and 4K material exists on the internet and last time I checked, X1 boxes have internet connectivity.

Rusty I am getting really tired of the inaccurate and "sugar coated" information you post in this forum. You can't support or prove most of the things you post. You are guessing and speculating and that is a disservice to Comcast customers and the people that post in this forum.  

Rustyben wrote:

darkzodiac wrote:

that is not how any of the digital signal functions. you have a bad signal to the set top box and must get a tech to check it out to determine the problem. There are speed diagnostic program (episodes) on netflix to check your signal data rates as the signal 'trains'. If the Netfilx is mpeg4 you will have a much better stream rate (pixel data) as mpeg4 is so much more efficient. I wouild recommend that since Comcast does not allow a pass-through native setting that you set the STB output to either 720p or 1080p. Let the TV upconvert from there but note that any native 1080i is not going to have the same quality as 720p and no channel is broadcast in 1080p. 

Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

Rusty,

Considering you own such low quality and old audio/video gear, please provide your proof to this statement: "Let the TV upconvert from there but note that any native 1080i is not going to have the same quality as 720p". I am sorry but you are dead wrong here and you are misleading Comcast customers.

While this statement is technically true "no channel is broadcast in 1080p" plenty of 1080p and 4K material exists on the internet and last time I checked, X1 boxes have internet connectivity.

Rusty I am getting really tired of the inaccurate and "sugar coated" information you post in this forum. You can't support or prove most of the things you post. You are guessing and speculating and that is a disservice to Comcast customers and the people that post in this forum.  

Rustyben wrote:

darkzodiac wrote:

rick, the question of which has the best circuitry to upconvert is easy and would be best if Comcast simply offered Native pass-through resolution to the TV as the TV will have better conversion quality chipsets and they won't have to convert it but one time (to the TV panel's proprietary resolution). 

Regular Contributor

I got mine a week ago & have the same problem.Improved the 2160 with a better cable but even the 1080p setting looks bad.My xi5 works great set at 1080p on the same tv(2017 lg oled), also tried on a 2017 sony x900e.Im thinking since the netflix app is not in 4k yet maybe after a firmware update for netflix that will in some way fix the pix problem.

Silver Problem Solver

minitech wrote:

I got mine a week ago & have the same problem.Improved the 2160 with a better cable but even the 1080p setting looks bad.My xi5 works great set at 1080p on the same tv(2017 lg oled), also tried on a 2017 sony x900e.Im thinking since the netflix app is not in 4k yet maybe after a firmware update for netflix that will in some way fix the pix problem.

Have you tried calibrating the TV?

I have an older Samsung 3D TV and I had the wrong setting for Picture Mode - changed it from Movie to Dynamic and I now have a much better X1 picture.

Regular Contributor

Calibration is not the issue, it may be because the v4 has an issue that comcast is not aware of yet & the v4 has a bt.2020 chroma output in the 2160 mode.

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

Changing a TV from Movie to Dynamic has nothing to with professional TV "calibration". All you did was change a setting.

FYI, anyone who is trained in TV calibration (my best friend is) would tell you that Dynamic is the least accurate and least realistic setting. It might have the highest contrast and brightness but it is the least accurate. Also Dynamic mode is usually much too blue.

Set the TV to Natural or Cinema and turn off all of the motion related features. That will get you closer to a calibrated (accurate) picture.
New Poster

4k need a 2.0 HDMI cable for the data to pass the 4k thru Comcast dosnt supply them comcast only supplies 1.4 hdmi cables best buy or any electronic store is the best bet for the 2.0 HDMI
Regular Contributor

Yes its important to have a high speed shielded cable but there was an firmware upgrade(2.13.0) that helped.1080p looks good now & 2160 has improved but not there yet, also has a lipsync issue when Dolby audio is enabled.

New Poster

minitech wrote:

Calibration is not the issue, it may be because the v4 has an issue that comcast is not aware of yet & the v4 has a bt.2020 chroma output in the 2160 mode.

Does the output look okay with 1080p output?

Why they had to change the chroma subsampling for bt.2020 is a mystery to me, but it certainly could be resposible for image degradation.

Regular Contributor

Yes 1080p looks good now, i guess since BT.2020 is the best for now thats why its used.May be the reason UHD is crappy.Maybe next update will fix the problem & allow netflix 4k content, i will say netflix loads much faster now.

Regular Visitor

My experience may shed some light on the root issue.  

I recently upgraded to the X1 box (4 weeks ago), the first thing I noticed was a subpar picture compared to the previous HD DVR equipment.  I am the only one in the house who has noticed the picture not being sharp.  I am a graphic artist, using Adobe on a daily bases on 1920x1080 native resolutions in most cases.  This is where it gets weird.  I do not have a 4k TV, it is a medium grade Vizio 1080P LED, 60 Hz, nothing special.  I have been very happy with the picture since we purchased it, anyone who has been to my house has always commented on the picture (I did spend alot of time fine tuning to my HTPC).  When the tech came out to resolve another issue, I basically asked him if there were any other people complaining about the X1 pictures, he was a little shocked I was complaining about the equipment.  We went in the the viewing room, football was on and he noticed some of the issues I brought up.  He had one of the new 4K boxes in his van and swapped it out.  To my surprise, it looked bad.  I thought maybe I was being too picky and maybe I did not remember the picture like I thought I did.  He pulled up the hidden menu and looked at the signals strengths and stated everything was within their tolerences.  I honestly can not comment, I have no idea what they represented nor what they should be; however, there was one screen that showed what the incoming signals were streaming at.  My main stream was MPG2 while the others were MPG4.  I asked about the MPG2, I thought he said that was the main box we were viewing.  I dismissed it and thought well maybe I can adjust the picture.

After he leaves, I am trying to figure out if it is a HDMI cable, Onkyo pass through, TV or something I could not think of.  I went to the Apps and pulled up a 4K youtube video just to see.  Well, it was outstanding, just like my Blurays and old DVR box was before X1.  Yes, I know that my TV is 1080P and I could not see the true resolution of the 4K content; however, it does show proof of concept that I am not seeing 1080P from any of my channels.

So in conclusion, it is not the TV, HDMI, Stereo receiver, or the X1 box.  That only leaves the way Comcast is encoding the picture or how it is delivered to the X1 box.  

Regular Contributor

jonlanham3, the old legacy box you had , had a sub menu with sharpness setting, the x1 boxes don't have that setting only a service menu that the tech entered.A dollar to a donut your xg1v4 is a AXO14ANC witch is one of 2 builds arris built for comcast, even the 1080p hdmi setting is not good, if you had the AX014ANM 1080p would look ok but 2160 would look lousy.I would call back in to see if you could get a ANM or a xg1v3 box instead.Wish the x1 boxes had a sharpness setting.I dont know about the MPEG.

Gold Problem Solver

To my knowledge, the only difference between 014ANC and 014ANM is who supplies the Cablecard installed inside the box. The box itself is the same.

I did not pay attention to which one I have. HOWEVER I will say that I have had a V4 DVR box for about three weeks now and I can honestly say that when set to 1080p the picture quality is quite good. Best I have seen from an X1 box. The picture quality is not as good when set to 2160 but it is still better than anything I saw from my V3 DVR.

I think the V4 has room to improve (the 2160 picture quality should be better and the IR receiving performance is poor) but overall it is easily the best X1 box I have used.
Regular Contributor

Just set remote for rf rather than IR, then you can walk to the next room & operate the box,big news the xi5 is now all IP, don't need a xg1 to operate, works great as a stand alone box.

Gold Problem Solver

I am well aware in regards to RF pairing the X1 remote. I use high end universal remotes so I need IR receiving to work well. In regards to XG1V4 there is a problem with IR signal receiving.

I have absolutely no interest in the Xi5. Wireless HD is not ready for prime time. I have heard many reports that the Xi5 does not work well. My house is wired appropriately.

With all due respect minitech, I am a 40 year veteran of the consumer electronics industry. I have been a Comcast customer since the mid 80's. I have had X1 for over four years now.

minitech wrote:

Just set remote for rf rather than IR, then you can walk to the next room & operate the box,big news the xi5 is now all IP, don't need a xg1 to operate, works great as a stand alone box.

It is highly unlikely you could tell me anything about X1 that I don't already know....

Expert

minitech wrote:

my reading of the xi5 is that it is wifi linked to the MoCA bridge in the Comcast gateway. That would mean it is using the home DVR's recording stream as well as a hub's tuner (xg2 or xg1).

Regular Contributor

Rustyben, right but comcast had other things in mind when they had it built, thinking ahead.I moved my xg1v4 from our main tv to a smaller set because of the pix quality problems the v4 has especially when set to 2160 hdmi mode, while moving i hooked up my xi5 back on my main tv & powered up ( you should pwr up the g1 box 1st) then went back to retrieve the pwr supply for the v4 & noticed i had a pix, so i checked recordings, channels, & all the functions & it worked great.The v4 wasn't hooked up at all with no pwr.So now the xi5 is a stand alone ip box.I called comcast to verify & they said yep.Also roku has the xfinity tv app. now.YEP FOLKS you can try this at home(may not be in all markets), so if your g1 breaks your not dead in the water

Regular Contributor

AS of today tues nov. 21 the xi5 will only access dvr & on demand, no tv channels after a new up date 9s1 with out your g1 box.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

I use high end universal remotes 

With all due respect minitech, I am a 40 year veteran of the consumer electronics industry. I have been a Comcast customer since the mid 80's. I have had X1 for over four years now.

It is highly unlikely you could tell me anything about X1 that I don't already know....

Deleted

New Poster

I had not heard of it either.It is available but you have to call them. Caveat only workS with the Netflix 4k content if you subscribe to it. At that point you could just watch the Netflix app through the TV and it would do the same thing

Regular Contributor

Netflix app through the v4 looks good on any content which of course uses the Internet, so in lye's the problem with tv channels looking not so good at 2160 setting.Hope a firmware update will fix it.

Regular Contributor

Revision,nexflix looks bad also when v4 is set at 2160,i checked netflix while the box was set at 1080p.

New Poster

Here’s my brief opinion about the new box. I noticed that 2160 the color is a little off I had to re-calibrate my TV. If using the 1080 P the color is fine. I also noticed that if you’re using 2160 The picture quality is a little fuzzy compared to 1080 for some odd reason. The problem I’ve been having with my box if I turn off the TV and it stays off for a few hours upon turning on the TV again the box does not want to give out a signal and I have to restart it
Regular Contributor

Go to settings, select device settings,select power preference, set power saver to off.

Regular Contributor

Seems comcast is working on the 2160 pix problem, fix in the works soon i hope.Also on your last problem, go to settings-comcast labs-hdmi link off.As well as the other settings i posted for your box.

New Poster

The outside lines didnt fix your buddys issue nor will it fix yours, that is not at all how that works.
Regular Contributor

This is reference to what problem.The xg1v4 2160 pix or the xg1v4 pwr problem.

Frequent Visitor

Just got a oled tv c7p using with xg1v3 black dvr.  Main broadcast channels (abc, nbc, etc) picture is great most of the time however almost every other channel the picture is pretty bad.  College football on Saturday looked like standard def.  Nfl was much much better, but not perfect.  I will be hooking up xg1v4 in the next day or so and share my results.

Also, were turning hdmi link and power saver off in any reference to the picture problem? or purely for the person who has to keep restarting their box?  Thanks

Regular Contributor

Turning the pwr saver off wont affect the pix,all the pwr saver does is it puts the box to sleep & doesn't reboot the box just makes you use the all on button, might check to make sure hdmi is set to 1080p.As far as your lg oled calibration is the key for that tv.You may want to hold off on the v4 until the new updates.If you want tips on your oled pix settings i can help just contact thru private message.

Gold Problem Solver

In general, X1 has a "soft" picture. In regards to the XG1-V4 4K box the news is both good and bad.

The good: when set to 1080p the box has the best picture quality I have seen from an X1 box and it is easily the fastest responding X1 box. It's nearly twice as fast as the other X1 boxes.

The bad: Netflix in 4K looks very good but the is something wrong with the normal (linear) channels when the box is set to 4K. Linear channels look better with the box set to 1080p. Also the IR signal receiving capability is really poor.

I have found that CBS's NFL broadcasts are usually better than Fox's. In fact Fox's NFL broadcasts often look pretty grungy.

Ggffgg1 wrote:

Just got a oled tv c7p using with xg1v3 black dvr.  Main broadcast channels (abc, nbc, etc) picture is great most of the time however almost every other channel the picture is pretty bad.  College football on Saturday looked like standard def.  Nfl was much much better, but not perfect.  I will be hooking up xg1v4 in the next day or so and share my results.

Also, were turning hdmi link and power saver off in any reference to the picture problem? or purely for the person who has to keep restarting their box?  Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I tried to message you but it doesnt work, I am signed in but doesnt give me anywhere to write or send

Gold Problem Solver

You can find TV setting information here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg

I was able to slightly improve on these settings using professional calibration but the settings that rtings posted for my TV were in the ballpark.

Ggffgg1 wrote:

I tried to message you but it doesnt work, I am signed in but doesnt give me anywhere to write or send

Frequent Visitor

Sorry this was for minitech: I tried to message you but it doesnt work, I am signed in but doesnt give me anywhere to write or send

Expert

Ggffgg1:

To send a message did you click on minitech next to his Avatar in his reply?

It should show two choices. Choose "send message". If it does not work, go to your settings and make sure you are allowing messages. If you do not allow messages, you cannot send one.

Frequent Visitor

thanks, i checked settings, the box that says 'do not email me' is unchecked.....went through the rest of settings/preferences still no dice.  when i click on send message under the avatar i get:

Untitled.png
Expert

Ggffgg1 wrote:

thanks, i checked settings, the box that says 'do not email me' is unchecked.....went through the rest of settings/preferences still no dice.  when i click on send message under the avatar i get:

Your picture shows where you receive and reply to messages. To send a new message you need to put your mouse pointer over the blue ID name in the upper left corner of a reply. If I were ro send you a message I would just point at Ggffgg1 next to your Avatar on your last reply. Did you do that on "minnitech's" reply?

Frequent Visitor

yes, exactly what I did. It took me to the page in the pic and I couldn't do anything from there.

Expert

Ggffgg1 wrote:

yes, exactly what I did. It took me to the page in the pic and I couldn't do anything from there.

I just tried to send you a message. I got the warning that your mail is not enabled.