Community Forum

X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

Expert

Re: X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

@Ggffgg1 wrote:

I tried to message you but it doesnt work, I am signed in but doesnt give me anywhere to write or send

I just found a post from Comcast from August of this year. Evidently for reasons stated in that post new members in the forum are no longer able to use "messaging" until after thay have posted in the forum for a certain number of times.

There is nothing wrong with your setup in the forum. You should find information under using the forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

The x1 boxes delivers a smoother pix due to the fact there is no sharpness setting like the older boxes had, as far as pix detail calibration is key for a sharp detailed pix on your tv, lg oled are  more challenging vs a sony lcd.

Contributor

I'm not sure why everyone gets confused everytime someone complains about Comcast's VQ. Comcast's VQ is TERRIBLE, and the bigger and nicer of a TV you have, the worse it looks. This is a nationwide Comcast problem, the solution is to switch to another TV provider.

This is due to Comcast's over-compression when they switched to MPEG-4, not your box or TV. Google "Comcast MPEG-4" and you'll find tons of threads about the incredibly poor picture quality. This is a national Comcast issue, and affects all cable channels (not locals). They are over-compressing the video, as well as using CBR encoding, so channels tend to look OK when there is little motion on screen, and very blurry or soft when there is a lot of motion on screen. Comcast's poor picture quality hasn't changed, but it's much more obvious on a larger, higher resolution screen, so your fantastic new 4k TV that will look great with most HD and 4k content will look worse with Comcast. Local channels are generally passed through using MPEG-2 without being re-compressed, so they vary from market to market, depending on what your local station is feeding Comcast.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW makes a real good argument & makes sense, if valid there may be no fix for the v4 box at 2160.But why does netflix look bad also at 2160 since it comes from the internet.

Expert

@minitech wrote:

BiggAJW makes a real good argument & makes sense, if valid there may be no fix for the v4 box at 2160.But why does netflix look bad also at 2160 since it comes from the internet.

that user is spamming a large number of posts with incorrect information. for your question, do you see 4k menu choices on your Nefflix app? The requirements are stricter for security and hardware used to receive 4k. you can search Netflix for test pattern then use season 1 episode 8 and as it trains to highest resolution you can verify you are receiving the 16mbit 4k strream. it may take a few minutes to get to 4k.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Yes i get 4k menu choices on the netfix app, your talking about example short test, i have used that before.What BiggAJW is saying is true for the v4 box because it uses qam & mpeg-4 affects pix quality in a neg. respect, but the xi5 uses ip & wont be affected like the xi6 in 2160 mode since its an ip box also, thats why 1080p setting looks slightly better on my xi5 than my xg1v4 box set at 1080p also.Thats what i think after BiggAJW post.

Highlighted
Contributor

Rustyben,

I am not spamming any posts, and I am absolutely not wrong. I went through the MPEG-4 switch myself, I've done the research, I've followed the posts over at AVSForum, I've looked at the bitrates that Comcast is using, in addition to a local cable company and OTA (accounting for the ~2x efficiency advantage for MPEG-4) and I've looked at the VQ very extensively with a 65" 4k screen and a critical eye, and I know what I'm looking at, and I know what I'm talking about. This is a Comcast issue, and a deliberate decision that most of their customers won't pay close enough attention or realize what is going on, but they are going exactly the wrong way just as 4k TVs are becoming more popular, as 4k TVs make Comcast's horrible VQ that much more obvious than on a 1080p, and are often larger than the 1080p sets that they replace.

Contributor

minitech,

AFAIK, the Xi5 currently streams from an XG1 or XG2, so it is still getting a QAM signal into the house, and then it goes over IP from the XG1 or XG2. In effect, the current Xi5 as I understand it is basically an Xi3 that uses Ethernet or Wi-Fi instead of MoCA to create the local network. Thus, the VQ should be the same. I don't doubt that two TVs in the same household could look significantly different, however. A smaller 1080p TV would make the over-compression much less obvious, you can't really tell the difference on a < 32" 720p TV unless you're a couple feet away from it, and different TVs have different interal video processing that can make the picture look a bit clearer and sharper, and get rid of compression artifacts. They cannot, however, restore the original level of detail and sharpness that was lost during compression when using such extreme compression as Comcast is using here.

Expert

@minitech wrote:

Yes i get 4k menu choices on the netfix app, your talking about example short test, i have used that before.What BiggAJW is saying is true for the v4 box because it uses qam & mpeg-4 affects pix quality in a neg. respect, but the xi5 uses ip & wont be affected like the xi6 in 2160 mode since its an ip box also, thats why 1080p setting looks slightly better on my xi5 than my xg1v4 box set at 1080p also.Thats what i think after BiggAJW post.

more 4k TV users have said the x1v4 is faster, crisper, and better video (so far). the channel delivery of mpeg4 is much easier as the average bit rate is less for mpeg4. the testing before mpeg4 required same or better video quality and at least a 50% decrease in data contained.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, i compared both boxes on the same 4k high end set with all hdmi inputs calibrated exactly the same at the same time, switched back & forth between inputs.The xi5 is a ip box that can stand alone without a xg1 box, for a short time i not only could get on demand & recordings i also was able to tune in all channels, right now i can still get on demand & dvr recordings but not channels with my v4 totally disabled.I think comcast is going all ip in the future.The only thing a xi3,xid or xi5 depends on a xg1 is the tuner, recordings can be accessed from the cloud.The stream app thats only available on roku will be available soon for apple tv & others which i think is a precursor for all ip boxes, maybe the xg1v4 is a ip box also to be enabled later.

Contributor

minitech,

That makes sense. The Xi5 accesses Comcast's IP network directly through your gateway, so it can get to the IP-VOD and Cloud DVR without it's "host" box, but it still require the "host" box, in this case the XG1v4, in order to tune live QAM channels, as they don't want to duplicate the channels via QAM and IP, at least not yet anyway. Yes, they are pushing towards an all-IP system, which would reduce the bandwidth required significantly, since only channels in use on that node would be transmitted. However, I'm afraid that they will keep the same awful VQ for MPEG-4, and continue to transmit at 3.8-4.2mbps. You are correct that the Xi3 is basically the same as the Xi5 in functionality, however, the Xi3 is entirely dependent on an XG1 or XG2's DSG (DOCSIS 3.0) modem to get to Comcast's IP network, so they are a doorstop without an XG1 or XG2. In a household that rents a Comcast gateway, I'm not sure if the Xi3 has been updated with the ability to go through the gateway's MoCA connection to get to Comcast's network directly, but the Xi3 doesn't require a Comcast gateway, like in my parents' house, where they own their own eMTA and router, and have an XG1 and Xi3 "paired" together for their TVs. The "normal" configuration for the gateways is to have MoCA disabled, which they can re-enable for TiVos or an Xi5, so by default, an Xi3 would go through an XG1 or XG2.

For some reason, MoCA causes people's heads to explode, maybe because it can be used in so many different situations, providing access to other devices to the internet, or connecting those devices to a MoCA network to get to the internet, or in Comcast's case, accessing Comcast's video network. I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of posts on the TiVo forum about people confused about how MoCA works for setting up TiVos. In this case, a Comcast gateway could be used to provide an Xi5 access to an XG1/XG2, or it would be used the other way around to provide TiVos access to the internet and each other for in-home streaming. In my case, I would never use a Comcast gateway, I want to own my own equipment, so I couldn't have an Xi5 in the current configuration, as they won't allow an XG1 to connect via Ethernet, or a MoCA adapter to be added to bridge an XG1 over to the user's own LAN.

Regular Contributor

I use my xi5 on my main tv do to the fact of better pix(sharper more detail) the xg1v4 on my 2nd tv.I had the v4 installed on my main tv at 1st but noticed right away that the pix quality was not as good even set at 1080p hdmi mode, so i switched boxes.I dont think qam is involved with the xi5 even though it uses a tuner from the v4 box & dvr recordings, Im thinking the xi6 4k box will be a big improvement in pix quality in 1080p & 2160p over the xg1v4 since its a ip box also, we will see.I tried again today to see if i could access tv channels on my xi5 after unhooking my xg1v4 i was able to get tv channels,on demand, recordings & set recordings,all apps except netflix on my xi5 by its self.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, i agree with what your saying, the xi3 & xid use xg1 for operation.If your right about pix quality diminishing do to all ip i would probably switch to satellite.Did you read my last post about my xi5?

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, i just checked again disabling my xg1v4 box & my xi5 was able to tune to channels,VOD,CLOUD DVR,ALL APPS except NETFLIX, & set & playback recordings.Pix quality seemed to be as good on all aspects but down side is only 60 hrs of dvr space, wonder why i couldnt get netflix, no big deal because i use my apple 4k tv for netflix & amazon prime anyway.What do you think.

Expert

adding.. fwiw.. the xi5 does use the gateway that is also MoCA connected to the home and that is how the Xi5 gets the recordings from the home DVR(s). 

Regular Contributor

Rustyben, right the xi5 uses moca enabled on the gateway but if the xg1 box is totaly disabled ( cable unhooked & unplugged) than it retrieves recordings from the cloud.The xi3 & xid that are cable connected & use moca via xg1 & the gateway can be disabled & the xi3 & xid will still work as long as the xg1 is operating, thats the only down side i see if using a xi5 only that if your comcast modem goes down your stuck with no tv service & only 60 hrs of dvr room witch along with all other service wont work.The moca has to be enabled on the gateway for the xi5 & xi6 to work, i think now the moca automatically enables when the xi5 is connected, i tried to disable the moca & it wouldn't let me do it.I dont know now if the xi3 or xid will work without a xg1 box now since i dont have any of those boxes anymore to try, i have a xi5 & xg1v4 thats it.

Contributor

minitech,

That's very interesting. They must have enabled IPTV for linear channels on the Xi5. I'm surprised that the video quality is better, but that's an encouraging sign. The idea I heard was that they wanted a single 720p MPEG-4 stream for TV everywhere, IP boxes, and QAM, but they may instead have different encodes for QAM versus IP. If it's using a tuner from the XG1v4, then it's using QAM through the XG1v4, but it sounds like it is able to use IPTV directly from Comcast if it works to tune Live TV without the XG1.

The issue is not the VQ going down when moving to IPTV, it's the VQ staying at the same very poor level that it is at now with QAM. If they use the same encode of the channel, then it will be equally as poor, regardless of how it is transmitted. If the differences you are seeing are in fact due to a higher bitrate stream being used, and not minor differences due to the box's internal processing, then that's a good sign for the future of IP delivery on Comcast. Does your VQ change when you unplug the XG1, or is always better on the Xi5, regardless of whether the XG1 is online or not? That would tell us if the Xi5 uses IPTV from Comcast all the time, or if it normally tunes through the XG1 like the Xi3 and XiD. Comcast is slowly moving to IP, in baby steps, first with IP-VOD, then Cloud DVR, and apparently now with some limited IPTV delivery of linear content.

Your analysis of how the Xi5 works is correct. I don't know if the Xi3 and XiD can yet work alone like your Xi5, but that's clearly the direction that they are headed in, with the elimination of the XG1 and XG2 boxes entirely, as everything will be IP and cloud-based. It remains to be seen what that means for customers who don't have a Comcast gateway to connect an Xi3 to the internet, as I doubt Comcast would let you use your own MoCA adapter.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, seems the pix stays the same after unplugging xg1 & pix quality is always better on the xi5 whether the xg1 is on line or not, like i said the only thing i cant do is netflix app wont connect but all the other apps work.I prefer cloud dvr because its easier coming out of a commercial by the way it skips frames when fast fwrd & the pix quality has approved greatly to where i see no difference at all between cloud or hard drive dvr at this time.I will need more time to veify to be 100 %, as it stands now VQ looks good.

Contributor

minitech,

It sounds like it's using IPTV all the time then, which is really interesting. Netflix just sounds like a bug, maybe the XG1 holds the account info on it's hard drive, and they haven't moved it to the cloud yet. So does hard drive DVR look worse than live TV on the Xi5? If the XG1 is recording it using QAM, it should also be lower quality....

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, just spent the whole evening using the xi5 without the xg1 hooked up & everything looked good.I was able to connect to netflix after all & recordings look as good as live tv.As far as xg1 dvr recordings they look as good as live tv on the xi5.tomorrow im going to try to disable moca because i dont think its nesarry for xi5 being used as a stand alone box since it doesn't require the xg1.The last time i tried to disable moca it wouldn't let me.

Expert

@minitech wrote:

BiggAJW, just spent the whole evening using the xi5 without the xg1 hooked up & everything looked good.I was able to connect to netflix after all & recordings look as good as live tv.As far as xg1 dvr recordings they look as good as live tv on the xi5.tomorrow im going to try to disable moca because i dont think its nesarry for xi5 being used as a stand alone box since it doesn't require the xg1.The last time i tried to disable moca it wouldn't let me.

if you were to disable MoCA (the bridge between MoCA and the etherenet/wireless) then you would lose access to the in-home DVR recordings (much larger space than the 60 hour limit Cloud DVR).

Regular Contributor

Rustyben, right just a experiment to see if moca is necessary for the xi5 to work on its own.The last time i tried it i could disable with the xi5 on line but as soon as i plugged it back in the moca enabled.Trying different stuff because i don't have anything else to do.

Regular Contributor

Update, seems no fix for the xg1v4 pix quality yet, maybe none to see.With netflix 4k content setting the v4 in 2160 & the pix looks worse than set at 1080p is not good, even 1080p setting is not as good as my xi5.Really dont think a fix is on the way, we will see.Off topic for this forum it seems the xi5 wont work with moca disabled.As far as a stand alone box it works very well, pix quality is great(as good as cable is), all functions work & can set 6 recordings at the same time & watch a different channel.Only down side is only 60 hrs of dvr space & if the gateway craps out your done.As far as those who have a wireless modem other than Comcast i dont know & cant find out if a xi5 or a xi6 will work even if you have Comcast Internet & have moca capability on your router.

Regular Contributor

This box produces a terrible 4K picture,
The XI15 remote is about as ergonomic as a lousy Bose remote.
I am going back to my TIVO BOLT VOX.
New Poster

Re: Brand new X1 with terrible HD quality and bad picture

I just got the new 4k box yesterday. I noticed the picture quality right away was not the best. I went to video resolution options within the settings on the box and by defaut was set to 720p. once I changed to the outpout to the 4k resoultion the picture quality was perfect accross all channels. Hope this helps anyone out.

Regular Contributor

Why2015, what market are you in(state), can you go to settings-about-see if your firmware is 2.13p7s2.because my v4 is still bad at 2160.Maybe you have a new update thats not in my market yet.

Contributor

minitech,

That's quite interesting. What I don't understand is how DVR recordings on the XG1 look as good as live TV on the Xi5. Is everything using Cloud DVR? I thought that everything was recorded in the Cloud DVR so that it could be streamed to mobile devices?

Expert

@BiggAJW wrote:

minitech,

That's quite interesting. What I don't understand is how DVR recordings on the XG1 look as good as live TV on the Xi5. Is everything using Cloud DVR? I thought that everything was recorded in the Cloud DVR so that it could be streamed to mobile devices?

while playing a recording and no menu element is on the screen, press the OK button and in the upper left corner you will see DVR letters. If it is from the Cloud DVR there will be a little white cloud icon before teh letters DVR.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben, right thats how to tell if coming from cloud not g1 hard drive.I can tell right away because it takes a few seconds more to load & fwrd & rev scan skips frames whitch i like better for coming out a comercial.New firmware on the v4 19s1 seems to have improved pix quality espacally for the netflix app.I still prefer the image using my xi5.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, as long as the xg1 is on line the xi5 uses the hard drive & tuner from the xg1, when the xg1 is off line the xi5 pulls & recordings from the cloud,everything is recorded to the cloud but the xg1 hard drive is 1st in line for playback as well as recordings, so for some reason your cable fails or your box breaks you have access to all your recordings up to 60 hrs of recording space later on when service is restored & all future recordings will be save to the cloud.In my case with a xg1v4 & a xi5 as long as my gateway is on line i can watch any recordings or tv service if the xg1 breaks.The cloud dvr service has been upgraded to the point that the quality of the pix is as good as from the xg1 hard drive just like streaming from itunes or something.Check out my latest post on the xi5.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW,i got off script a little, yes the cloud dvr service was for mobile devices with back up dvr storage & cloud based only boxes like the xg2 with the ip boxes in mind down the road like the xi5 & xi6.When the xg2 was 1st launched i said then that it was a cloud only dvr box with 4 tuners & was told i was wrong by some at the time.

Contributor

So is it just the last 60 hours of recordings that are stored on the Cloud DVR for mobile viewing (or viewing if your box goes south)? I wonder if they are re-compressing the local channels to MPEG-4 for Cloud DVR, unlike when they are recorded locally? It would make no sense to be storing and transmitting MPEG-2 in the cloud, as some channels have bitrates upwards of 17mbps, while Comcast's awful over-compressed MPEG-4 is 3.8-4.2mbps.

Contributor

Yeah, in the long run, the XG2 is the Cloud DVR box, but for now, they are moving slowly with Cloud DVR, and using it just as a 4-tuner non-DVR with X1. However, if they jump directly to all-IP, they could just use something like an Xi3 or Xi5 without the XG2 at all. I'm thinking that local broadcast stuff will stay as QAM for a long time as higher cable stuff slowly moves over to IP. Unfortunately, I doubt that the quality is going to get significantly better on IP, as they are likely using the same or similar absurdly over-compressed MPEG-4 for IPTV.

Contributor

I read your post in the other thread, and I'm still a bit skeptical- are you comparing the Xi5 on the same TV with the same settings? How big is the TV? Is it possible that the Xi5 is just doing a better job processing the signal somehow, or does it actually have a better quality feed coming in over IP than what is on QAM? Better clarity and sharpness, none of the mushiness, blurriness, and crushed colors that Comcast's MPEG-4 on QAM has? I'm just having a hard time believing that there are two different encodes, as Comcast's whole selling point with MPEG-4 was that they would have one encode for everything, QAM, IP, streaming, mobile HD, etc.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW,Right, i have found that anything over 60 hrs will be deleted starting with the oldest recordings.I have found lateley that the quality of recordings from the cloud seem to be no different from xg1 hard drive recordings,but in the past they wernt as good.I dont know how its done but the ip box seems better.

Contributor

What about for local channels? Are they re-compressing those for cloud DVR now too? Or are they storing the full MPEG-2? It should be especially noticable on CBS and NBC if they are scaling from 1080i to 720p.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, Yes both boxes are hooked up to the same tv, 2017 lg oled 55 inch that is calibrated in xpert mode with maximum sharness set, & just switch between hdmi inputs,but i really dont need to do that, just swap boxes & i can see the difference right away, i keep the v4 on are 2nd tv & use the xi5 on are main set.I dont understand why the pix is better with the ip box but i guess its the difference like you stated QAM vs IP.

Regular Contributor

BiggAJW, Back when i had a xg1v3 & a xid, i had the xid hooked up to my main tv & just switched boxes for some reason & noticed that the xg1v3 didn't give me as good of pix in the way of pix detail.So just swapped back & didn't think about it any further.At the time i didn't know the xid was a ip box.Since the new firmware installed on the xg1v4 (19s1) i tried it back on my main tv & it looked better set at 2160 & netflix looked better on 4k content but still not as good as the xi5 set at 1080p for pix detail.The only thing i got from comcast why the pix is better with a ip box is it doesn't use qam.

Contributor

Then they must be using a different encode for IP vs. QAM, most likely with more bandwidth available for the IP encode, or a certain amount of VBR range allowed.

Contributor

Here's another thought: does the Xi5 support HEVC? I wonder if they have an MPEG-4 encode and an HEVC encode? A 3mbps HEVC encode may well look better than a 4mbps MPEG-4 encode. That would actually fit with Comcast's M.O. to use the least amount of bandwidth possible, AFAIK, not all X1 boxes support HEVC.

Expert
Moved:

X1 and new 4k box delivered -- picture is terrible

Official Employee
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [personal identifying information in image]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Frequent Visitor

You need to go into Xfinity and go to where the app for settings and set to the highest resolution possible. Just got newest X1 box and remote to go with it. 4K ,for now, is basically on NBC ,NBCSN & Netflix watched in the Xfinity app not Netflix on your smart TV unless you’re already paying Netflix for 4K shows available.

I’ve been watching the Olympics and it’s amazing. Also if you’ve an iPad,iPhone and/or a Mackbook computer you can go to the App Store and get the app “NBC Virtual Reality” and see them in Virtual Reality on your devices. It’s awesome and if you already have VR headset thing it would probably be off the charts❗️

My place was re-wired in May 2010 and so far so good.

Regular Contributor

The xg1v4 does a good job processing mpeg-4 when set in the 2160 @ 60 format, need to disable mpeg & digital filters on your tv settings, bring up sharpness and if your area is up to date at the hub you will be good to go.Some have said that mpeg-4 is inferior to mpeg-2,to that i say its all to do how a device processes the signal.Satellite tv & many video stream apps use mpeg-4 & is superior to mpeg-2.

Regular Visitor

Hi Joe,
I don't see how to send a private email.
I need similar help and not getting usable help on my comcast end here...
thank you, bob
Regular Contributor

xg1v4 bad pix

Seems the v4 doesnt play well with the 2018 lg C8P or the sony A8F oled tvs.Got a new 2018 lg C8P oled & noticed how bad the pix resolution was set at 2160, rechecked all my settings on the tv & good there, swapped for a 2018 sony A8F oled & the same issue, returned the lg mainly because they removed some xpert mode settings i used in past lg oled tvs, my 2017 lg C7P the v4 worked just fine set at 4k with the exception of aspect ratio matching on some networks(apple 4k tv no issues),so i set the box at 1080p & pix fine on my A8F sony but if you want to use the netflix app for 4k your out of luck.

Expert

@headache2 wrote:
Hi Joe,
I don't see how to send a private email.
I need similar help and not getting usable help on my comcast end here...
thank you, bob

try now

Official Employee

@headache2, I replied to your private message please reach back out to me there for further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I just got a new 4K box for my 4K TV. What should I set the output to on the new box for my TV? I know most of the cable channels are HD and Nit 4K, cnn, msnbc, etc. , just looking for the best picture
Official Employee

@Jason_B wrote:
I just got a new 4K box for my 4K TV. What should I set the output to on the new box for my TV? I know most of the cable channels are HD and Nit 4K, cnn, msnbc, etc. , just looking for the best picture

Xfinity button to Gear symbol to Device Settings to Video Display, choose Best Available

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.