Community Forum

X1 and Internet Outages

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

X1 and Internet Outages

Hello, I’m writing because I have recently been having issues with my X1 service and internet.  I recently upgraded to the 4K DVR (AX014ANM) and the rest of the house has three different boxes (two PXD01ANI and one CXD01ANI). For a while I have been having intermittent internet outages (I own my own modem) that the X1 Service seems to go down. I usually get the RDK-03033 error.  When the internet’s on the service seems to work well but when it goes down the X1 goes down. What I’m wondering is the service connected to the internet outages I have experienced with my cable modem? Should I change my modem to see if the service works and if so does it need to be the xfi modem?

I should add that I have one TiVo and during these internet outages (which prevent things like changing the channels) works fine.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 and Internet Outages

Additionally it’s worth mentioning that a neighbors xfinitywifi hotspot works perfectly.  Also in late May / early June we had a technician come out and replace our line (was cut during tree removal) and the readings were good. 

I just moved things around in our house the X1 4K DVR is now closer to where the cable comes in (less splitters and directly power amplified). I tried the interactive service such as Netflix and Amazon Prime and they worked on the other TVs when I had the cable modem turned off.  

Today I plan to return one of the companion boxes and the original host that I had prior to the 4K DVR. And pick up the companion 4K box which hopefully should work as the prior companion boxes worked great in that drop.

However I still need to figure out why the internet drops out. The cable modem is the first drop into the house. 

Frequent Visitor

Appologies for the multiple posts.  What companion box would I need to get for the 4K tv.  The only one is the Xi6 and that’s wireless. I have the X1Gv4 as the host in my house at the closest drop (but not connected to a 4K TV). I tried having a the previous XG2 as the host with the X1Gv4 but that caused issues.  Acording to this guide the only 4K box that’s wired is the X1Gv4. Would having a second one disturb the existing network ecosystem and would I have to pay for the extra DVR even though it’s included. 

Diamond Problem Solver

The dvr works just like a modem and uses the same frequencies that your modem does. So whatever is causing your internet to drop is also causing the X1 platform to drop. Your TiVo is independent of the internet to work, that’s why it’s unaffected

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

What kind of amp are you using? How many splitters? The boxes need to communicate with each other and multiple splitters and the wrong amp can affect that.
The wireless 4K box won’t work for you because you have your own modem

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am not sure of the amp but it’s a Comcast supplied one.  There are two splitters to the upstairs TV. I discovered that the X1 apps work when the cable modem isn’t receiving signals. Is there a 4K box available to use? I really don’t want to add onto the current bill by addining a cable modem.

@CCAndrew wrote:
What kind of amp are you using? How many splitters? The boxes need to communicate with each other and multiple splitters and the wrong amp can affect that.
The wireless 4K box won’t work for you because you have your own modem

Diamond Problem Solver

In your case, the 4K dvr is it. You would have to swap out your personal modem for a compatible rental gateway to be able to use the 4K wireless box

Frequent Visitor

Okay, I have the 4K DVR in a different place.  I got one connection issue mention so I reset it.  So to be clear there are no other wired options for a 4K box? If not I will have to rent the modem and the kit for the wireless 4K box.  What is the range of the wireless box?

Expert

@rkolsen wrote:

Hello, I’m writing because I have recently been having issues with my X1 service and internet.  I recently upgraded to the 4K DVR (AX014ANM) and the rest of the house has three different boxes (two PXD01ANI and one CXD01ANI). For a while I have been having intermittent internet outages (I own my own modem) that the X1 Service seems to go down. I usually get the RDK-03033 error.  When the internet’s on the service seems to work well but when it goes down the X1 goes down. What I’m wondering is the service connected to the internet outages I have experienced with my cable modem? Should I change my modem to see if the service works and if so does it need to be the xfi modem?

I should add that I have one TiVo and during these internet outages (which prevent things like changing the channels) works fine.

a bit of advice here. change out one of your non DVR boxes for the same-price larger box XG2. the XG2 has its own modem and 4 tuners 3 of which will be loaned out to the other Xi3/XiD boxes. this will free up all of the tuners on your DVR to be used to record programs and watch live TV and may help eliminate the issues on the Xg1v4. (your DVR has 6 tuners but 3 are taken by the xi3/XiD boxes and are not available until the XG2 is installed and all equipment is rebooted. the X1 system is set up automatically to use the tuner and modem in the XG2 instead of the DVR). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@rkolsen wrote:

a bit of advice here. change out one of your non DVR boxes for the same-price larger box XG2. the XG2 has its own modem and 4 tuners 3 of which will be loaned out to the other Xi3/XiD boxes. this will free up all of the tuners on your DVR to be used to record programs and watch live TV and may help eliminate the issues on the Xg1v4. (your DVR has 6 tuners but 3 are taken by the xi3/XiD boxes and are not available until the XG2 is installed and all equipment is rebooted. the X1 system is set up automatically to use the tuner and modem in the XG2 instead of the DVR). 

Thanks, I will think about it.  I went to the Xfinity store to discuss the issue, they think it’s definitely an internet issue and that xfi’s router would help. They didn’t have the 4K wireless box, but provided me with a second Arris 4K DVR (XG1v4-A). I was assured that the companion boxes (XiD-C and XiD-P) and the existing host (XG1v4-A) wouldn’t compete with with the second (XG1v4-A).   I was told that if one box went down the other will pick up the slack. So right now there are two 4K DVRs and two companions.

The internet worked a bit with the xFi XB6-T and is intermittent. Again I’ve noticed exactly when it goes down the X1 system connection issues pop up on the devices. They go away after a while and allow you to remain on the channel. But if you try and change the channel or press the Xfinity button the message comes back up. 

My entire system is setup up like this the cable comes in the wall immediately hits a splitter one connection goes straight to the modem (I initially had it connect through a surge protector but disconnected thinking that some frequencies would be blocked) and another to the TVs.  From there there’s a split with an amplifier (that I cannot reach) going to two TVs one in a basement bedroom (XiD-P) and the other in the kitchen (XG1v4-A).  Then the other output goes outside to the upstairs. The bedroom that it enters doesn’t have a TV in it so the cable is connected with a inline connector straight to a RG6 cable in the attic going to a three way Comcast supplied splitter. With the splitter one cable goes into one bedroom with a XiD-C, while the other bedroom has a TiVO XL 4 and the second XG1v4-A.

Since you mentioned the DVR usage is there a way to tell what box will record what or do both record based on the same list?

I currently am posting this through a neighbors xfinitywifi hotspot.  This makes me assume that the problem is with my connection. I scheduled an appointment for Thursday between 1 - 3 p.m.  

Expert

@rkolsen wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rkolsen wrote:

Thanks, I will think about it.  I went to the Xfinity store to discuss the issue, they think it’s definitely an internet issue and that xfi’s router would help. They didn’t have the 4K wireless box, but provided me with a second Arris 4K DVR (XG1v4-A). I was assured that the companion boxes (XiD-C and XiD-P) and the existing host (XG1v4-A) wouldn’t compete with with the second (XG1v4-A).   I was told that if one box went down the other will pick up the slack. So right now there are two 4K DVRs and two companions.

The internet worked a bit with the xFi XB6-T and is intermittent. Again I’ve noticed exactly when it goes down the X1 system connection issues pop up on the devices. They go away after a while and allow you to remain on the channel. But if you try and change the channel or press the Xfinity button the message comes back up. 

My entire system is setup up like this the cable comes in the wall immediately hits a splitter one connection goes straight to the modem (I initially had it connect through a surge protector but disconnected thinking that some frequencies would be blocked) and another to the TVs.  From there there’s a split with an amplifier (that I cannot reach) going to two TVs one in a basement bedroom (XiD-P) and the other in the kitchen (XG1v4-A).  Then the other output goes outside to the upstairs. The bedroom that it enters doesn’t have a TV in it so the cable is connected with a inline connector straight to a RG6 cable in the attic going to a three way Comcast supplied splitter. With the splitter one cable goes into one bedroom with a XiD-C, while the other bedroom has a TiVO XL 4 and the second XG1v4-A.

Since you mentioned the DVR usage is there a way to tell what box will record what or do both record based on the same list?

I currently am posting this through a neighbors xfinitywifi hotspot.  This makes me assume that the problem is with my connection. I scheduled an appointment for Thursday between 1 - 3 p.m.  

key test would have been to move the xg2 to one of the problem areas of the xid/xi3 and see if problem resolved on live TV. the devices communicated via MoCA (multimedia over coax) which is similar to ethernet. the scheduler-in-the-cloud picks the DVR to record that has the most free space upon it. the content on both DVRs is available to all the X1 devices in the home (using the MoCA). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!