Community Forum

X1 Volume Issues?

Contributor

Re: X1 Volume Issues?

Um, okay. What Gives ? I received some sort of update but it did not fix the volume issue at all. Still showing 2.3.0 but the Icon that shows the remotes battery level now takes up half the screen on the "About" page. Is this really a priority over the volume issue ?

New Poster

That is unfortunate it did not resolve your issue! I would PM EricG he can help!

@RickGr4 wrote:

Funny but I received 2.3.8.1 on my main X1 box a couple days ago but I noticed no changes.

New Poster

@wowbagger wrote:

I am in the Atlanta area.  I have also been experiencing this audio issue.  Still am.  My STB has not yet received the 2.3.8.1 software update.  How long do I have to wait?  My X1 box is wired directly into my TV. I used to be able to hear dialogue comfortably with the volume turned down to as low as 10%, for many months in a row.  Now I have to turn it up past 30%, sometimes even 50%.  Which makes the other sound effects sometimes too loud at night.  It's a real problem.

The answer to my question and the solution to my problem...  The update occurred early this morning.  STB Version PX013AN_2.3p8s1_PROD_sey fixed the audio level issue.  Volume is back to normal.

New Poster

@firemandude wrote:

Um, okay. What Gives ? I received some sort of update but it did not fix the volume issue at all. Still showing 2.3.0 but the Icon that shows the remotes battery level now takes up half the screen on the "About" page. Is this really a priority over the volume issue ?

You were looking at the wrong item in the About section.  Look for STB Version.

Silver Problem Solver

There is no way to tell how long updates take to get to millions of X1 users across the USA.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi All,

Was just checking into many of your areas, etc. and I think that you all should now have the latest firmware with the audio fix. Your volume should be back to normal and behaving as it used to. Feel free to message me if you're still having any problems.

Thanks to all for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have received the latest update and it fixed my volume issues. Thank You EricG for all your help your customer service skills are outstanding.

Official Employee

Friends,

As some of you have noticed, with certain boxes, a reset may be in order to get the audio back to it's original status. Keep me posted. Thanks to all.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I had been following this issue since it exactly described my issue including when it started. I been out for about a week and now see that my

STB Version is PX013AN_2.3p8s1PROD_sey

And yet the problem remains the same

New Poster

I think we got it now, thanks

New Poster

I am still having issues with a bedroom box.  The main box is fine. Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

@JHR300 wrote:

I am still having issues with a bedroom box.  The main box is fine. Any suggestions?

Not much can be done if you don't have the updated software/firmware, it seems.

Patience?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

How do I know if I have correct version?   The main box is mx011an_2.3p9s2_prod_sey and second box is px032ani_2.3p7s1_prod_sdy

Expert

@JHR300 wrote:

How do I know if I have correct version?   The main box is mx011an_2.3p9s2_prod_sey and second box is px032ani_2.3p7s1_prod_sdy

main has most recent firmware. you can call 877-896-8678 and ask tech support to force down latest version to your xi3 (smaller) box. the 2.3p8s2 and later is supposed to fix the sound volume issue.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Eric - I am a new Comcast customer. Using a new Samsung TV and having volume issues on X1 box. Called tech support for an hour and had them push out newest firmware. Issue still persists and I had a ticket opened with Comcast. Any advice?
Gold Problem Solver

What are the issues? Do you have any additional audio devices connected? How are they connected?

More specifics would be helpful...

@Am123 wrote:
Eric - I am a new Comcast customer. Using a new Samsung TV and having volume issues on X1 box. Called tech support for an hour and had them push out newest firmware. Issue still persists and I had a ticket opened with Comcast. Any advice?

New Poster

Same symptoms as every else on this forum running a Samsung and X1. Have to turn up volume on TV to at least at 70 out of 100 to actually hear audio comfortably, when I switch to a native app such as Pandora on the TV volume is normal as expected, so the issue has to resolve down to the cable box.
New Poster

Tried that and they couldn't push the firmware.  They had me get a new box, but that just caused more problem and the firmware was the same.  Haven't had any luck with comcast except for them getting my bills messed up.  Afraid to try to get problem solved since 1st try was not good.

Frequent Visitor

I started having volume issues on Sunday 7/24. I would be watching a recorded show and I'd fast forward thru the commercials. This would work, but at a random point, when the recording resumes, there is no sound. If I shut off the recording, none of the cable channels have sound either. I've turned the volume way up and it still doesn't work.  This happens whether I have sound from the DVD player that controls the inputs (DVD, radio, HDMI1) or the TV volume. If I unplug the DVD player from the wall, then back in, the sound returns. Any ideas?

Barbara

Regular Contributor

@bjprichmond wrote:

I started having volume issues on Sunday 7/24. I would be watching a recorded show and I'd fast forward thru the commercials. This would work, but at a random point, when the recording resumes, there is no sound. If I shut off the recording, none of the cable channels have sound either. I've turned the volume way up and it still doesn't work.  This happens whether I have sound from the DVD player that controls the inputs (DVD, radio, HDMI1) or the TV volume. If I unplug the DVD player from the wall, then back in, the sound returns. Any ideas?

Barbara

I may be all wet but DVD players are usaully an accessory input to a AVR receiver which is used to connect several inputs from various devices to the TV set with one HDMI cable.  A typical set up would be DVD player connected to the AVR and a CD player connected to the AVR. The cable box is connected to the AVR also. this allows the user to connect ONE HDMI cable to the TV and the TV is set to use this one input for its source input and you never have to change the TV source input with the remote control for the TV.  I have never used a DVD player to control all the inputs to the TV. The use of a AVR receiver is typical in a home theater setup where the speakers are far superior to the ones in a TV set. The fact that the sound comes back when you unplug the DVD player indicates it is "being reset" when you unplug it. I am not aware of a DVD player being used as a switching source for TV inputs as far as I know.

I suggest if you have no AVR receiver that you do the following:

Connect the DVD player  to the TV via one of the TV's HDMI inputs. (Example  HDMI 1)

Connect Cable box to a separate TV HDMI input. (Example HDMI 2).

You will have to switch the source HDMI input on the TV for which device you are using at the time and you will need a HDMI cable for each device but I think this will solve your problem, or at least narrow it down to a cable box issue.

Since you metioned "radio" as one of your inputs I wonder if you aren't confusing DVD player with a AVR receiver as stand alone Tuners for radio are the from the high end component stereo days. If this is the case I would suggest switching the AVR source to one that you are not currently using and then back again to see if the sound returns.

Unfortunately, some combinations of receivers, cable boxes, DVD players have a problem with something called the HDMI "Autohandshake" between devices and if this is the case you are stuck until you change the offending device for another brand.

Regular Visitor

Just had our X1 system installed 9/9/16, and I am having the same low volume issue as mentioned in this thread.  Denon AVRs700W audio reciver, Samsung 65" 4k TV.  Have X1 box set to "surround", in device settings/audio, and hdmi for audio.  Sound is low compared to apps. If I set the audio to "stereo", sound is much larger. I'm assuming I have the latest firmware given it was installed two days ago.  Thanks for any assitance. 

Official Employee

Svenster,

Thanks for the update. I'll look into it and PM you when I figure it out. Thanks

Regular Visitor

Thank you ComcastEricG, appreciate you looking into this.  Still have the low volume issue with surround selected as the audio output from X1 box to my Denon AVR via HDMI.  

Gold Problem Solver

For X1 boxes, it normal for the surround volume output to be slightly lower than stereo. X1 boxes have always been that way. This is one of the reasons people complain about the volume level of commercials. Some commercials are in stereo so there is a volume change.

Use your Audessey Volume adjustments in your Denon. It will help.
New Poster

would be nice to have the option to delete a reply

Silver Problem Solver

@Philmco2 wrote:

would be nice to have the option to delete a reply

I just edit mine and change the text to "deleted".

Regular Visitor

Thanks RickGr4, redoing my Audessy setup helped alot.

@RickGr4 wrote:
For X1 boxes, it normal for the surround volume output to be slightly lower than stereo. X1 boxes have always been that way. This is one of the reasons people complain about the volume level of commercials. Some commercials are in stereo so there is a volume change.

Use your Audessey Volume adjustments in your Denon. It will help.

Gold Problem Solver

A properly set up Audessey can do wonders for an AV setup. It literally saved my relationship.

Thanks Svenster for the the complement and the kudo.
Frequent Visitor

Oct 1, 2016 - Just had the same problem with volume control (and maybe a slight muting).  It was fine last night.  I rebooted my X1 box and the problem went away.  Hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor

Update - Just to be specific, my "X1 volume control" problem was that the sound coming from TV was so low that I couldn't hear it. The volume control number was at its regular number (10) and it was not on "mute". I had to turn it up to 22-23 in order to hear it. (A setting of 22-23 would normally be rattling the windows!) A reboot of the X1 box solved the problem. NOTE: remember to turn the volume down to your normal level before the reboot or else you get blown out of your chair when the reboot is finished!

Contributor

Just got an Arris X1 box (XG1-A). The volume on live TV is fine, but the volume on recorded shows on the DVR is much lower. The TV volume on recorded DVR shows has to be put on maximum (which still isn't loud enough sometimes). When you shut the recorded show off and switch to live TV, you have to quickly lower the volume because it's much louder when on live. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Silver Problem Solver

If you are using HDMI, move the HDMI cable to another HDMI port on the TV.

We need more information about your TV, your X1 box, and how they are connected.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like a possible bad box to me. Are you sure it isn't simply jumping back and forth between stereo and surround? As we all know, X1 boxes seem a bit louder when in stereo.

I would have a Comcast tech look at it. If the problem is a bad box it would be fixed for free and you could get your signal levels checked at the same time.

@Rik11 wrote:

Just got an Arris X1 box (XG1-A). The volume on live TV is fine, but the volume on recorded shows on the DVR is much lower. The TV volume on recorded DVR shows has to be put on maximum (which still isn't loud enough sometimes). When you shut the recorded show off and switch to live TV, you have to quickly lower the volume because it's much louder when on live. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Contributor

I think it might be because the box was replaced. I just noticed that the problem is most apparent on shows that were recorded with the previous box, so maybe that's the reason. My main problem, however, is intermittent freezing of the picture (see post here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-box-intermittent-freezing-problem/td-p/2859640 ).

Gold Problem Solver

Keep in mind that if you swapped DVRs and you still have access to recordings that means they are coming from the cloud.

Last I heard cloud recordings were temporarily only in stereo which could explain a few things.

FYI when X1 boxes freeze it is almost always something to do with defective (but fixable) signal issues.

I would have a tech run a thorough check on your signals.
Contributor

Already had multiple techs here checking the signal, changing the wiring, changing the box, etc. Nothing has helped this problem. Even when they tell me the signal level is good, it still happens. Is there any fix for this problem?

Gold Problem Solver

I think you need another on site tech visit...

Previous techs are missing something.
Contributor

@RickGr4 - I've already had about half a dozen tech visits for this problem!

New Poster

Hello,

I just had new X1 boxes intsalled 3 days ago. First day all was fine. NOW, I am  having issues with our X1 volume issues. It's very low and we have to put it up to 50 or more to hear it when normally I can hear it on 20 or less. I just bought LG OLED 55" and it has amazing speakers and sound perfect when we use the apps but when I switch to the X1 box then the volume go very low and can barley hear anything unless you put it over 50 to hear.. Same thing with my other SONY TV in the bedroom. We normally hear it at 20 and now we have to put it at 50 or more to hear it. 

Is there any ideas how to fix this please? I love the X1 box features but the volume issues is really very bad.

Anyone having the same issues recently?

Hope COMCAST support center will answer me about this issue.

Thanks,

Gold Problem Solver

This is normal for X1 boxes.

Nothing is wrong. There is nothing to fix. Just turn up the volume farther.
New Poster

This is normal in that it is a problem that keeps coming back after it has been fixed.  We had a powerful storm in Atlanta a few days ago.  Service was interrupted for about 12 hours.  But when service came back, so did this problem.  What is the ACTUAL cause of this problem?  Why can it not stay fixed?

New Poster

I have had pretty much the same issues with low volume using HDMI through a Pioneer Elite receiver. Blu Ray, music, Pandora...anything else is fine.  But when I switch over to the X1 cable box; the volume is less than half of any other source.  On some programs, its difficult to hear at max volume.  I've tried different HDMI cables.  I used different HDMI inputs on the receiver.  Same issue.  There are no settings on my (LG) TV that affect sound when using HDMI.  Is there any way to boost the TV volume using HDMI?  VERY frustrating!

Expert

@rdwest1 wrote:

I have had pretty much the same issues with low volume using HDMI through a Pioneer Elite receiver. Blu Ray, music, Pandora...anything else is fine.  But when I switch over to the X1 cable box; the volume is less than half of any other source.  On some programs, its difficult to hear at max volume.  I've tried different HDMI cables.  I used different HDMI inputs on the receiver.  Same issue.  There are no settings on my (LG) TV that affect sound when using HDMI.  Is there any way to boost the TV volume using HDMI?  VERY frustrating!

with mpeg the audio streams are set/recorded in the production studies before being compiled into the completed program. That means no one controls the volume from point of transmission to your home system. You can go in the audio menu and turn audio output of the set top box to stereo and instantly hear a different stream (still in the actual program). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert
Frequent Visitor

Same issue also. Glad I'm not the only one. Really thought my hearing was going bad.