Community Forum

X1 Voice Remote - Voice part doesn't work well

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 Voice Not working, Screen doesnt show "listening"

Comcast is having a issue with voice command the last few days. My friends and I in different markets are experiencing the same problems. Seems to be better today. 

Tek
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Voice Remote - Voice part doesn't work well

Actually, I think the whole thing is rather humorous...

If you were reading and paying attention in the forum you would already know what is going on...

To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't use the Comcast remotes. I don't have anything to get over.

Life has far more important issues than a half baked voice remote that temporarily doesn't work.

Have fun pushing buttons...

@ah4569 wrote:

RickGr4

You can troll through a different forum no need to be on here and be rude. yes we still can press buttons on our remote yes its not the end of the world i agree but why do you have to act like the forum police... seriously if it bothers you that much get a life and read something else....

We are all here to find out what is going on with it as it is a nice feature get over yourself.....

Regular Visitor

Re: voice remote

You are correct!

New Poster

Having the exact same issue.  It worked well the first week, but now when pressing the voice button, nothing shows up on screen.  Let go of it and a message says "I didn't quite get that".  No kidding.  I've tried just speaking even though the listening box doesn't show up and sometimes that works.  But the "listening" box should always show up and it doesn't.  That's an Xfinity thing to fix. 

Silver Problem Solver

Comcast is working on it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The voice remote feature on the X11 remote seems to have been fixed,but the X1remote app on the iPad and the iPhone still does not work,is there any word about this?

Silver Problem Solver

Start a new topic on this.  Mine doesn't work, either.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

my smartphone app 'x1 remote' voice works perhaps not set to right device? hit the 'gear' and change to current box name

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

my xr11 remote is working but my x1 remote app is not. it crashes when I press the microphone.

Silver Problem Solver

Try uninstall/install.

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same problem. Iphone 5s ios 8.4. Uninstall/reinstall does not resolve the problem. App crashes when pressing mic
Silver Problem Solver

@dgez wrote:
I have the exact same problem. Iphone 5s ios 8.4. Uninstall/reinstall does not resolve the problem. App crashes when pressing mic

There is an app forum:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-Mobile-Apps/bd-p/TVmobileapp

Frequent Visitor

My remote has been working on and off for a few weeks now. Been down for 2 days at this point. I think it's sad that they can't a least email that there is an isse so we don't think it's us. Please help!

Gold Problem Solver

When you say your remote is down, specifically what does that mean? FYI a Comcast location will replace the remote for free.
Frequent Visitor

Rick: The voice part only.

New Poster

Is anyone still having problems with their voice command on the remote mine isn't working I noticed the last post was the 22nd is the 30th
Gold Problem Solver

Voice command is working just fine. If yours isn't, then you are either doing something wrong, your remote is defective or you have an incorrect setting.

FYI, voice command does not work with the RNG-150 Companion box.

@Tamara6462 wrote:
Is anyone still having problems with their voice command on the remote mine isn't working I noticed the last post was the 22nd is the 30th

New Poster

Re: I have a new voice remote not taking voice commands

Actually, the problem won't be fixed until at least after December 16, 2015 because I'm experiencing precisely the same problems I've been reading about here with dates in May and August.  Everything was working fine with the remote, including voice.  We could change channels by simply holding down the mic button and speaking to the remote.  THEN the voice commands just stopped working tonight at around 8 PM.  Boom!

- ... I liked this feature

Silver Problem Solver

@Skulhamr wrote:

Actually, the problem won't be fixed until at least after December 16, 2015 because I'm experiencing precisely the same problems I've been reading about here with dates in May and August.  Everything was working fine with the remote, including voice.  We could change channels by simply holding down the mic button and speaking to the remote.  THEN the voice commands just stopped working tonight at around 8 PM.  Boom!

- ... I liked this feature

I find it a bit funny that you posted that at EXACTLY 12:00 AM on the December 17th, right as the day you were saying it would be fixed on ended.

New Poster

Indeed, I had barely clicked "post" when I saw that it had time-stamped it for the 17th.  I got a grin out of that one too.

UPDATE: Voice control of the remote started working again this morning.  Sure looks like a server issue, but I'm wondering why it's taking so long to fix it.

New Poster

Since being installed, the remote hooked up to my DVR isn't responding to voice very often (though it does sometimes).  If I say ESPN, it will change to ESPN, but if I say, "Modern Family" it says that it doesn't understand what I'm saying.  I would say it catches what I'm saying 1/10 times.

Also, the DVR itself is very slow to respond to the remote, often taking 5-10 seconds, which makes it hard to go through menus and get things done.  

I did call it in, and did reset the device a few times.  I was having even more troubles when the DVR was in a cabinet (with an open front).  It seems that the device was overheating, which caused all kinds of problems with recording an playback.  That seems to be better with it on the counter below the TV.

Regular Contributor

Sounds like you're holding the remote too close to your mouth. Try holding it about 12 inches away.

New Poster

Re: XR11 Voice commands bring up wrong channel or do nothing

voice command has never worked here. Technician said there working on it that was 6 moths ago.

Diamond Problem Solver

@fixture wrote:

voice command has never worked here. Technician said there working on it that was 6 moths ago.

The 2 boxes that you have presently, do not have ( and have never had) voice command capability. You can swap out your boxes for the newly released XG2 ( or an XG2 and an Xi3/XiD)

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Try changing the batteries in your remote control. It worked for me when nothing else would.

New Poster

hello, My voice remote wasnt working either after I removed the batteries from the remote for a few seconds and replaced them it all worked fine again.... worth a try, Right?

GO HAWKS!

Diamond Problem Solver

@hawkfanuno wrote:

hello, My voice remote wasnt working either after I removed the batteries from the remote for a few seconds and replaced them it all worked fine again.... worth a try, Right?

GO HAWKS!

Not the right box so changing batteries won't matter

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

For all those with voice control problems, try putting in a set of new batteries.worked for me
Regular Visitor

Re: Voice remote not working

I'VE BEEN USING THE X1 SYSTEM FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND IT WORKED FINE.  THE REMOTE WORKS EXCEPT THE VOICE PORTION DOES NOT WORK.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Voice remote not working

What is the model number of the X1 box your are talking about? The RNG-150 is not compatible with voice command.

Do you have an XR11 remote?

Have you "paired" the remote to the box? Voice command does not work unless the remote is RF paired to the box.

@nox wrote:

I'VE BEEN USING THE X1 SYSTEM FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND IT WORKED FINE.  THE REMOTE WORKS EXCEPT THE VOICE PORTION DOES NOT WORK.

New Poster

Reboot the box worked fine.

New Poster

it is that smart and should work 

New Poster

Take the batteries out and put them back in. I searched the web for an answer to this problem for the longest only to find no one knew what they were talking about. All this rebooting and re-pairing is unnecessary. Mine does this every once an a while. Then it hit me! Just take the batteries out. Duh... I tried it and the voice feature works fine now LOL. Sometimes it is the simplest of remedies.... 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I guess i should xplain it better there is HUGE LAG with all of my remotes and all of my girlfriends are modes and all my parents remotes 10 in total but when I use the iPhone app the xfinity remote there is no lag. Like when I fast-forward it does it right away and when I hit play I don't have to hit it multiple times and it will not 1-4 mins past The spot I hit play at the Xfinity remote iPhone app works great which makes no sense why my phone would work better than the actual control
Expert

@Sfath1975 wrote:
I guess i should xplain it better there is HUGE LAG with all of my remotes and all of my girlfriends are modes and all my parents remotes 10 in total but when I use the iPhone app the xfinity remote there is no lag. Like when I fast-forward it does it right away and when I hit play I don't have to hit it multiple times and it will not 1-4 mins past The spot I hit play at the Xfinity remote iPhone app works great which makes no sense why my phone would work better than the actual control

your phone app is using the internet directly and the fact it is working well shows that the local home has issues that probably has below specification signal power levels. you can have comcast check your signal levels by calling the x1 support center at 877-896-8678.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

October 29 2016. I have exact issue this thread discusses. Remote worked for a couple days and now it listens but does nothing what's up???
Expert

@jpmcgill wrote:
October 29 2016. I have exact issue this thread discusses. Remote worked for a couple days and now it listens but does nothing what's up???

when you change the channel with the x11 remote control does the remote's LED blink Green or Red? when you press the voice button does the remote's LED turn blue and stay on while you are talking?

New Poster

Yes, you can say "watch Bravo" or "hbo" and it tunes to that channel. Why wouldn't that work if you can say a title of a show, movie, or genre?
New Poster

Listening button on x1 Remote stopped working all of a sudden. Solution Found

I went to settings first to make sure the listening button on the remote was turned "on."  It was.  I then turned off the power to the X! Box...waited for 5 minutes..restartred my whole sytstem.  When it was completely booted up, I went back to settings..made sure the listening on remote was turned "on".  It works firne now.  Easy fix.

Contributor

I fixed my voice command button on my x1 remote by simply replacing the 2 AA batteries in the remote. Setting said the batteries in my remote were down to 30%, which can impact the functioning of voice commands.

New Poster

I have had my x1 system for at least a year... just noticed this morning voice command is not working i get a please try again later message
Silver Problem Solver

@Joeyel wrote:
I have had my x1 system for at least a year... just noticed this morning voice command is not working i get a please try again later message

First thing to try is reboot the box.  And check for old batteries.

New Poster

Re: XR11 Voice Remote Mic Button not bringing up "listening" on TV

I found that each time the remote wouldn't function correctly on the mic button (blue light and beep)... You simply hit the "exit" button and the mic (voice control works again)... Credit goes to my wife who figured this out.
New Poster

Re: XR11 Voice Remote Mic Button not bringing up "listening" on TV

I just changed the batteries.... now mine works Smiley Happy give that a try...
Regular Visitor

My voice remote doesnt work either.  I speak very loud and distinct.  Says "do not understand" or " cant find" - to make a long story short I just dont use it at all.  Its really annoying.

Expert

@MIAMIGIRL wrote:

My voice remote doesnt work either.  I speak very loud and distinct.  Says "do not understand" or " cant find" - to make a long story short I just dont use it at all.  Its really annoying.

do you bring remote near your mouth? the microphone appears to be part of the LED opening at the top of the remote. try 'recordings' .

Regular Contributor

Just discovered that none of my voice remotes show what I am saying on the screen.  I just see "listening" and then it disappears.

Is there an issue?

Edit:      now working

New Poster

This post was in 2015. This is now 2017, the voice part of my remote still has issues. Guess the developers haven’t figured it out yet. It constantly says voice control not working at this time. Very unreliable. I love the feature, but frustrating.
Silver Problem Solver

@thmpsnkl wrote:
This post was in 2015. This is now 2017, the voice part of my remote still has issues. Guess the developers haven’t figured it out yet. It constantly says voice control not working at this time. Very unreliable. I love the feature, but frustrating.

The RNG150 does not support voice commands.  Exchange it for an XR2 for free and there is no extra monthly charge.

Contributor

I recently changed my DVR, which came with a new remote. Every remote I've had over the last year seems to crash every couple of months. I've found that I don't have to go thru a total factory reset, but just remove the batteries for 30 sec. and reinstall. Everything works after that. . . except the voice commands. No matter what I say, it always says, "Sorry, I didn't get that." How do I get it to work again (hope it's not a full factory reset)?