Community Forum

X1 Voice Remote - Voice part doesn't work well

New Poster

XR11 Voice Remote Mic Button not bringing up "listening" on TV

I have the XR11 Voice activated remote which was working fantastic up until I tried it today.  Every button works, the remote controls everything, however, when I press the microphone button and hold it down, it used to show on the TV "Listening."  It no longer brings that up.  Nothing happens aside from the blue light on the remote coming on and making it's sound that it does.  After waiting for about 5 seconds, the blue LED turns red and it stops trying to listen.

I tried pairing the remote again to the box and tv, and again everything worked fine aside from the microphone button.  Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, is there a simple fix of somesort?  

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: XR11 Voice Remote Mic Button not bringing up "listening" on TV

Its not working here as well. Appears to be out yet again.

Frequent Visitor

For me, it appears to work in the morning hours, but not in the afternoon/ evening hours. It seems during prime tv hours, comcasts servers cant handle the voice remote traffic from increased users. Pathetic.
New Poster

Re: I have a new voice remote not taking voice commands

Mine too. In maryland. It was working fine a few hours ago n now when I press the mic button blue led lights n blinks n remote beeps but nothing on TV and then red light blinks when I release
New Poster

Is there a fix for this yet? I have re-paired, re-booted tried everything... no luck. Anyone have any?
New Poster

Just got itin the mail. and voice is not working. No notice on the screen to speak to. The only thing I see is when I push mic button twice. I even just rebooted my system. Nothing.

Regular Contributor

Given how popular this issue is, I'm sure Comcast will let us know as soon as it's fixed.

You can still use the remote...it's not the end of the world.

New Poster

Exactly the same here.  This is a piece of human excrement [the robot won't let me say "####"]

New Poster

Lawnguru u are correct it is surely not the end of the world, lol, finally just got the x1 after being on a wait list forever in my area...and was trying to show my husband all the neat things it does and it fell short...:-( guess I'll just have to wait until Comcast ppl do their thing!
Regular Contributor

No worries!  At this point, be happy that you have video and audio!  Others in this forum are not so lucky!  ps - my voice remote doesn't work either, but my wife is happy.  she thinks that it's weird that i'm talking to the remote.

@Justlovedogs wrote:
Lawnguru u are correct it is surely not the end of the world, lol, finally just got the x1 after being on a wait list forever in my area...and was trying to show my husband all the neat things it does and it fell short...:-( guess I'll just have to wait until Comcast ppl do their thing!

New Poster

Re: Voice Remote not working, "Listening" mic not shown on screen

Having same problem with voice control on the remote.  Installer said there were clitches regarding this new feature, but this goes beyond  clitch! they should never let this out of beta!!!

New Poster

Re: X1 Voice Remote - Voice part doesn't work well

Same problem here. It didn't work last night when I set it up. It worked for a while this morning. Now it's not working again. It's not that I need the voice but if you advertise the voice as being a big part of the package it should work well or you wind up looking like a bunch of incompetents.

It's not as if this technology is something brand new. The voice command on my Fire TV remote works flawlessly EVERY TIME. 

Frequent Visitor

I just got the remote today and new service after 15 years of DirecTV and I'm disappointed because mine doesn't work. Also the X1 iPhone app voice command also doesn't work. If I could get one of the two to work that would be great. Glad I have 30 days to cancel
Frequent Visitor

I just came back after leaving for 15 years and am already disappointed. The voice command on my remote control does not work. I made sure I turn down the volume on the TV everything is quiet it does not work. Then I thought I could use the X1 Remote app and that does not work. It's very frustrating I'm glad I have 30 days to cancel. Plus I called and customer service was no help.
Valued Contributor

Hi.  Sorry you're all having issues with your voice commands from the XR11 and X1 Voice Remote app.  We are experiencing an outage for the service right now.  Teams are working hard to restore this service as soon as possible.  Thanks for your patience and reporting troubles here!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

2 ?'s this seems to be an i'm going problem based on all of these posts.

The app is connected the same way as the remote ? Because when I am on the app and tape the microphone it just says something went wrong.

when will we know when this is fixed I'm going to stay fixed ?
Valued Contributor

@Sfath1975 wrote:
2 ?'s this seems to be an i'm going problem based on all of these posts.

The app is connected the same way as the remote ? Because when I am on the app and tape the microphone it just says something went wrong.

when will we know when this is fixed I'm going to stay fixed ?

Hi Sfath1975.  This is only the second time we've experienced issues with our Voice service.  The other posts prior to the current incident were at the end of May.  The app uses the exact same backend services that the XR11 remote uses, yes.  

When the service returns to normal your XR11 and app will start working again.  We will also post here as soon as we hear services are restored.  Thanks again for your patience!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem as you and also the app does not work glad I have 30 days to cancel
Valued Contributor

Merging this thread with the other XR11 outage thread.

Regular Visitor

I thought I could bypass the remote issue by installing the voice control on my iPhone - Wrong - same problem, so it's definitely a Comcast problem.  Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Valued Contributor

Good evening.  As stated prior to merging three threads into this one for XR11 issues, we are currently working to restore XR11 and X1 Voice app service.  Thanks for your patience as we work hard to bring back voice control!

Contributor

It's been out for a few days already which is kind of crazy, but I know Comcast views this feature as an "extra" like OnDemand, and doesn't treat this with urgency like a core cable outage.

You could bet if it was costing them money for every minute voice control is down, it would of been fixed already.

But thanks for the update Neal.  Sometimes communication is all that is needed.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Voice Not working, Screen doesnt show "listening"

Worked great the past 2 weeks but now it either doesn't do anything when I voice a command or it takes about 10+ minutes to do the command.  Very frustrating...Had to pay shipping for this and did so because it was supposed to be awesome...which it was...but not anymore.  Tried all the above suggestions.

New Poster

X1 remote Voice command stopped working

I just got the new X1 Voice remote, and the voice command function does not work.

I unpaired, rebooted, then re paired still does not work. All the other functions work, but holding the blue mic, command bar comes up but not voice recognition.

Any way to fix or do I need a new remote?

Tim

New Poster

I am having the exact same issue. It's worked well for a couple weeks and is suddenly not doing anything when when I push the voice command button. The blue light turns on, doesn't register anything and then stays on for several seconds after I've released the button before then turning red.
New Poster

Re: X1 remote Voice command stopped working

I repaired my remote in an effort to fix the voice command problem before reading here that it is a Comcast issue and my problem now is that now that I have repaired, my xr11 remote will no longer work with my Emerson TV and it did prior to my repairing it.  If any technicians can offer tips or advise on how to fix this.  Yes, I have tried all of the codes listed for Emerson and none seem to work.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Contributor

Mine is still out in Denver; rebooted and repaired to no avail. From the looks of this forum, seems Comcast is having issues with 3rd party vendor's server for voice commands.

Frequent Visitor

Voice still out in Elgin IL as well.

New Poster

Still nit working in Shorewood Illinois

New Poster

Re: voice remote

It was out yesterday evening.  Then it was working this morning, Not working again tonight.  Kind of frustrating.  My wife is blind and relies on the voice remote.

New Poster

Yep. The voice command stopped working on my remote today, too. I've tried everything. And yes, the voice command is turned ON in settings. We've only had Comcast for a couple of weeks - and I'm so far not impressed. Help!!!
Contributor

X1 Voice control inoperative

Dino on the fact voice control is not working
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Voice control inoperative

Comcast is working on it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Voice control inoperative

Please search the forum for an existing topic (of which there are many!) before starting a new thread.  Thank you.

@hansonrj wrote:
Dino on the fact voice control is not working

Contributor

There really needs to be a way an outage like this is communicated to customer service personnel I spent a great deal of time chatting with one that did not have a clue as to the fact people were having a problem with X1 voice control. Like a number of other people posting I too spent a great deal of time resetting my cable box reprogramming the remote etc. just to find out I was spinning my wheels. 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Hi all,

The Voice Search and Voice Guidance features are still having intermittent outages. We will keep you informed as soon as we have an update.

@hansonrj wrote:

There really needs to be a way an outage like this is communicated to customer service personnel I spent a great deal of time chatting with one that did not have a clue as to the fact people were having a problem with X1 voice control. Like a number of other people posting I too spent a great deal of time resetting my cable box reprogramming the remote etc. just to find out I was spinning my wheels. 

Agreed, though I think we also sent a few mixed signals by telling everyone it was fixed, just for it to break again. It's been intermittently working for the last 3 days or so. Will try to make sure everyone has the latest.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Voice command didn't work Tuesday, then did work Wednesday.  

Now it's not working on Thursday.  (South Florida)

It's the new every other day feature.

Regular Contributor

We should be entitled to a service credit for the outages but that isn't going to happen. Many people including me appear to use the voice feature. 

Official Employee

Hi,

Our Voice Engineering team believes the issue is now resolved. Please let us know if there are still problems.

Thank you all for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Our Voice Engineering team believes the issue is now resolved. Please let us know if there are still problems.

It seems to be working for me.  Did about 20 voice commands.  All worked, some more slowly than others.  Will definately post again if problem returns.

Official Employee

@dgez wrote:

It seems to be working for me.  Did about 20 voice commands.  All worked, some more slowly than others.  Will definately post again if problem returns.

Yeah, it seems a little slow at my home as well, but I think that may just be a result of the server patch/reboots. Thanks for sharing!

Regular Contributor

Not working in 01740. Voice setting is on. Do I need to do more?

Update: I guess it is working. However, it can take up to 5 minutes to get the "listening" prompt.

No biggie.

Frequent Visitor

Btw.... i don't care what even comcast reps say --- sometimes if your voice commands doesn't work -- its not the remote or your box...is the "so so" reliability of the communication between your box  and the voice server or the voice server itself. 

Doesn't happen much.....but I notice sometimes voice commands stop working again....but then say I'll go out a few hours come back -- everything is working great (and will stay working great for another few days in a row....) I was going nuts with this until I read other forums...some folks explained to me how its a voice server that your remote is routing your voice commands to (obviously thorugh your cable box).....some times that voice server has issues. Fortunately for me...I don't really use the voice commands all that much....but you'd think Comcast reliability would be stellar for the money we drop their way each month.....(and the fact they have the nerve to charge you for when THEIR service breaks that you pay for....and they send someone out to "fix it")......

New Poster

Still slow and intermittent in Washington state.

Regular Visitor

Not working at all in 08012. Get listening prompt on X1 remote app, talk into it and see nothing at all on the TV.
Regular Visitor

Could it be something wrong that I'm doing, or is there a problem with the service?...
Official Employee

Unfortunately, looks like the service is having issues again. We apologize for the inconveinence. More to come as far as a fix is concerned.

New Poster

It would be best to let us know when it is permanently fixed since you can test it on your end as well. Causing repeats of messages. 

Gold Problem Solver

How did you people live your lives right before voice command remotes???  You still have picture and sound. You can still control your systems from remote.

This is NOT the end of the world. Or did all of you forget how to press buttons on a freakin remote? Oh wait, you still have to press buttons to change volume, mute and turn stuff on and off...

Comcast is aware of this issue. They have acknowledged they are workin on it.

People like ComcastNeal and ComcastChad can't be spending their time fixing this is they are stuck in this forum answering questions that have been asked and answered over and over and over and over and over again...

Over and over again...

New Poster

RickGr4

You can troll through a different forum no need to be on here and be rude. yes we still can press buttons on our remote yes its not the end of the world i agree but why do you have to act like the forum police... seriously if it bothers you that much get a life and read something else....

We are all here to find out what is going on with it as it is a nice feature get over yourself.....