Community Forum

X1 Upgrade - Missing Channels

Regular Visitor

X1 Upgrade - Missing Channels

Last night I recieved my self-install kit to upgrade to X1 and after following the set-up steps I can only get my local channels. Channels like ABC and NBC come in (but not in HD), but channels that I know are in my package, like ESPN, are not coming in and no HD channels are coming in. When I did my install I did not get some of the screens that I expected, such as where I enter my account and phone number. Is this part of the issue? Why isn't this working correcty?

I also cannot program my remote, it just started working with the X1 out of the box. The steps in the manual do not work to program it to my TV.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Upgrade - Missing Channels

It sounds like you have an HD DTA box and not X1.  Is yours one of these?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

I beleive I have the Pace RNG150N P2 X1 Non-DVR set. I recieved an email from Comcast a few weeks ago about a free upgrade to X1 and that is what they sent me.

Silver Problem Solver

Call Comcast and ask for Customer Service.  Explain the issue to them.  You might have a "provsioning" issue.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Thanks! I'll try that tonight.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like it is not properly activated. Certainly not the first time we have heard this with self installs.

AnnoyedInLisle wrote:

Thanks! I'll try that tonight.

New Poster

On phone with Comcast now and exact same problem. X1 box was not properly activated. Three calls later and it's working but a digital converter was shut off in the meantime. Fourth call to get that reactivated.
Regular Contributor

It's an issue with the billing software not reflecting what's in your house.  Easily fixed (sounds like it was)  very frustrating.   Typically you will also get a "free with subscritption" error on channels or OnDemand that you pay for. Also, easily fixed, but not quickly (up to an hour)

Glad to hear they got it right finally.

I DO work for Comcast. Do I know everything? NO. Do I help thousands of customers every year? YES I do.
New Poster

Your absolutely right. It was related to billing software. Thanks!
New Poster

I am having the same issue. How did you get them to check if it was the billing software? They just keep trying the same trouble shooting things with the box and saying things look fine on their end.

New Poster

I think I got lucky with a knowledgable person on the phone. I will say phone was better than chat. Also they transferred me at the end to a different team who didn't handle X1, legacy maybe. They worked it through with billing while in was on hold. It took about 10 min for just that pet. Good luck.
New Poster

Finally get all my channels working after 3 days, 3 support phone calls, and 2 chats (amazing incompetence on part of XFINITY Customer Service reps!).

So, here's what was going on:

I had a DVR box before I received X1 DVR.  When I installed X1 box and started browsing channels I quickly discovered that only Limited Basic and Limited Basic HD channels ara available. When I called support both times the reps were sending so called "signals" rebooting my box to no avail. 

The chat guy was even "better". He said that it maybe "connection problem". I go: connection?  Why does it displays some channels and says "free w/subscription... call.." for all others? Then he opined that maybe there is "not enough power".  And so on.

Anyway, the last guy fixed the problem in a second.  I was surprised to learn that since I didn't return my old DVR (yet!) the X1 DVR was listed as "secondary" and the old one was listed as "primary".  When the guy switched "primary" and "secondary" everything started to play.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Post Removed for Violation of Forum Posting Guidelines Please do not circumvent the language filters.

Regular Visitor

I had the same problem.  I received a free X1 upgrade with the self install kit.  I did see the account number and phone number screen but still only had local channels (up through home shopping).  A call to comcast and she was able to switch my programming to the be box I a matter of minutes, didn't even have to involve billing.

Brian

New Poster

Having the same problem with my X1 upgrade with self install kit.  on chat now ... and have advised the agent of all the comments on this page ... hopefully things will go smoothly.

New Poster

Rhoel at Comcats chat was wonderful and it took less than 10 minutes to activate.  Same thing as before in this thread ... old box was shown as the activated one and new box was shown as the inactivated one.

New Poster

I just fought this problem all day long... this forum saved me because I knew how to help the techs...

--- My story

Self install kit. 1x X1 DVR, 2x X1 Companion Boxes.

No issues. Up and running within 10 minutes. But NO channels beyond extreme basics. All others, "Free with subscription" I could see my monthly bill from the settings, but no channels. Oh boy...

First call: Just tried automated Box Reset.

30 minutes later... No Luck... I read the forum.

Second Call: She said she fixed primary vs secondary, but it didn't work right away. She said wait an hour...

Two hours later,

Third Call, went to hold by tech and then it routed me back to beginning... Ahhh

Forth Call... Tech tried the same junk again. Didn't listen to my advice. He said wait an hour and I said no... Asked for supervisor or Level 2... Initially he said no... Which I thought was crazy. Refusing to transfer to supervisor? Unbelievable.

Finally, I was able to convince the tech to let me speak with his supervisor: Kim. Kim saved the day because she knew what the problem was and how to fix it. "The hierarchy of my equipment was wrong." Similar to what others have posted, primary vs secondary etc, but it complicated things even more because I had other boxes, so ALL of the X1 equipment had to be moved around.

---- Bottom line, use the word "hierarchy" And if it doesn't start working immediately, then it is NOT fixed yet....

Today, I learned to always check the internet/forums before I call....

New Poster

Just received a new DVR. I have the same issue except my channels say "Included with subscription." I mentioned the hierarchy to the agent, who went through everything that didn't work the first time. Then the local channels came up with the same message. They said I'd have to have a tech come out to "reconfigure" the new DVR. This really makes no sense at all. I'm pretty sure it's something not set up properly on their end. So sad Smiley Sad
Expert

press1280 wrote:
Just received a new DVR. I have the same issue except my channels say "Included with subscription." I mentioned the hierarchy to the agent, who went through everything that didn't work the first time. Then the local channels came up with the same message. They said I'd have to have a tech come out to "reconfigure" the new DVR. This really makes no sense at all. I'm pretty sure it's something not set up properly on their end. So sad Smiley Sad

First try hitting the 'A' button and select 'system refresh'. working now?

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

I upgraded from the simple (dumb) Digital Transport Adapter to the X1 (Samsung XG2v2-S). As reported by the orignal poster, I only receuve the basic cable (local SD and HD), some free cable (Discover), but not the expanded basic channels (such as AMC, FoodTV, BBC America, etc)
Look at your bill for the tech support telephone number. After calling, the tech support agent reset my box with the explaination of a "technical issue" difficult to explain. Whatever the technical issue was, after they reset the box, I'm getting the expanded cable channels. I'm happy now.
--gfong1133 20161203

New Poster

Mine was fine, then not. Unfortunately, I would rather put a red hot poker in my eye than interact with customer service.  That's why I'm here.

Official Employee

3 year old thread closed, feel free to start a detailed new thread.