Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Not sure how my post ended up over here, I sure didnt copy and paste or move anything. If you did I would like to know.

Frequent Visitor

I know the wall plate is ok because that was replaced by the technician as well as the connector on the cable in the wall. You think there could be a bad splitter somewhere? Apparently it's just about impossible to get the owner of the building to go about replacing the old cable as it would be very expensive.

This is so frustrating! There has got to be a way to fix this that doesn't involve replacing 150ft of cable going through this whole building.
Diamond Problem Solver

I know the wall plate is ok because that was replaced by the technician as well as the connector on the cable in the wall. You think there could be a bad splitter somewhere? Apparently it's just about impossible to get the owner of the building to go about replacing the old cable as it would be very expensive.

This is so frustrating! There has got to be a way to fix this that doesn't involve replacing 150ft of cable
______________\

There's lots of variables in apartment building wiring
1. Depending on the size/type of building there could be an actual tap with ports for each unit or there's a couple drops coming in with a multitude of splitters for each unit
2. Access to replace wiring
3. Whether your outlets or homeran from outside or theres a splitter in the unit that feeds the rooms in your unit

I don't know how many rooms you have but look for a blank wallplate in either laundry or master bedroom closet, usually the common spot for any splitters

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know that there is a main box outside and all the cables are split from there. It then goes all the way to our apartment and splits to the two rooms. I removed the plate of the one we are using and found a second cable with a splitter on it but going to nowhere. It looks like our apartment splitter was bypassed. Could it be a bad splitter at the main drop box?

I couldn't find a blank wall plate anywhere.

Another thing that may be of help is that the cable is bringing in some nasty audible hum into my speaker system. If I clamp a wire to the cable ground and properly ground it, the hum is gone.
Gold Problem Solver

That is huge. Your incoming cable signal is not grounded properly and it can cause a huge variety of problems. Along with the audio hum, are you seeing any dark scrolling bars on your TV?

No question it needs to be fixed asap ...

@thexawakening wrote:
I know that there is a main box outside and all the cables are split from there. It then goes all the way to our apartment and splits to the two rooms. I removed the plate of the one we are using and found a second cable with a splitter on it but going to nowhere. It looks like our apartment splitter was bypassed. Could it be a bad splitter at the main drop box?

Another thing that may be of help is that the cable is bringing in some nasty audible hum into my speaker system. If I clamp a wire to the cable ground and properly ground it, the hum is gone.

Frequent Visitor

So far the actual picture quality has been ok besides not being able to tune to most channels. Have been experiencing issues with trying to access the on demand menu where the system will freeze. 

Is comcast going to say this cable ground issue is on me? 

Diamond Problem Solver

@thexawakening wrote:

Could be a bad splitter but it could also be that its split too many times at the main box outside.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

What is the best way to get this fixed? will a technician come out and chargge me?

Problem Solver

First of all you should never ground a coax within the dwelling at any spitter or connection. There should only a single ground at the junction box outside the building. The hum sounds like the power outlet itself has a bad neutral. When you are adding the ground to the coax you are closing the ground loop that is occurring. It also possible that another unit is backfeeding a ground to the junction box, which all units are sharing the same ground. A good tech can detect which unit is sending noise back to box..

Ithe only thing I would advise to do is to call your building mateneince dept. Have check all the outlets for proper grounds and neutrals. I would do this before the tech hits the scene. ..
Frequent Visitor

Not sure what you mean by the power outlet having a bad neutral. If I disconnect the cable from the wall plate, the hum is gone. and from what I discovered, it seems like the only splitter is the one at the main drop box. It seems like possibly the bad ground is causing alot of the signal to be weak or blocked thus causing the XRE-00018 error. I know that my audio equipment is connected properly and that none of it is causing this ground loop. Grounding the cable was more of an experiment to determine where the source of hum was. 

My main issue is that channels are not coming in and the technician that came before said it was due to the RG59 cable. He kind of wrote off the hum to that as well but I knew it couldnt be the cause. I would love for it to be updated to RG6, but that isn't going to happen. I also had zero problems in our last apartment that had old RG59 wiring.

How can I get a technician to come check out the splitter at the main box? Im going to go crazy if i have to speak to another clueless person on the phone that tells me to restart my box and that "our system says everything looks good on our end".

@gotpizza wrote:
First of all you should never ground a coax within the dwelling at any spitter or connection. There should only a single ground at the junction box outside the building. The hum sounds like the power outlet itself has a bad neutral. When you are adding the ground to the coax you are closing the ground loop that is occurring. It also possible that another unit is backfeeding a ground to the junction box, which all units are sharing the same ground. A good tech can detect which unit is sending noise back to box..

Ithe only thing I would advise to do is to call your building mateneince dept. Have check all the outlets for proper grounds and neutrals. I would do this before the tech hits the scene. ..

New Poster

I recently recieved the new X1 DVR and it was working well for the first few days.

However after about 1 week of use, I started getting issues.

As soon as the Samsung TV is turned on, after about 5 seconds on any channel, the signal gets lost, there is a loud pop, and static on the screen. Then the signal comes back, and after about 5 seconds this happens again. The X1 is connected by an HDMI cable to the tv just like the old box was.

To troubleshoot, first I tried watching a DVD from a different HDMI input. There was no problems with that.

Next, I plugged the X1 into a different TV in the same way, and there were again no problems.

I have tried restarting and power cycling the X1 a few times, but the frequency of the signal loss seems to be getting more frequent.

Is this some compatibility issue with the specific TV? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for the help!

Regular Visitor

We are having the same problems. Mainly with the DVR box. The companion boxes seem to work okay.  We are seeing the freezes and slow responsee to remote. If we fast forward sometimes it gets stuck and won't stop usually followed by a freeze. 

Did you ever get a solution from support. I dread calling them..

Thanks..

Regular Visitor

Hello,

I have two X1 boxes (DVR and 2nd box Non DVR (RNG150N)).  I have had no issues with the main box (DVR) but the 2nd box has been problematic mostly with "On Demand".  It would lock up and become unresponsive to remote.  If I power cycle and or call comcast to send a new signal, all is good for a week or so.  I presume it may be signal issue from poor installation.

Luckily Xfinity store is nearby and I was curious if I should just take the box back to the office for replacement or is that another crapshoot?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Our X1 DVR box has been pausing and going to a black screen. Almost like it is buffering?
It has been getting worse and happens on live TV, DVR recordings, and On Demand. There are two slave boxes and they are not showing this symptom. Any ideas?
Regular Visitor

Our Dr Who Christmas episode is stopping after every 3 mins.   Better than that we call tech support and its hanging up on us after a min or 2 the same EXACT problem when comcast has the last X1 issue!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Well gee I tried to call support saying a techical issue with my inet since the cloud IS internet too, that as well hung up on me guess Comcast gave the support call center the day off too as I was hung up on yet again!    And I have Vonage for my inet NOT comcast.   Going to go back to Tivo as it was great and RELIABLE !!!!

Frequent Visitor

We have a new X1 system and it has been the worse thing we have done.  The picture is constantly pixelated and freezes.  Also when playing on demand content and recordings the same thing happens.  I'm at my wit's end with this and thinking of just returning to the old DVR technology.  Also no one told me I would be only able to pause live TV on only box?? 

Silver Problem Solver

@Brad0911 wrote:

We have a new X1 system and it has been the worse thing we have done.  The picture is constantly pixelated and freezes.  Also when playing on demand content and recordings the same thing happens.  I'm at my wit's end with this and thinking of just returning to the old DVR technology.  Also no one told me I would be only able to pause live TV on only box?? 

You have what I call a "poor" installation.  Are you in an apartment complax?

DVR's can pause live TV.  Non-DVR's can pause a live show if it is being recorded.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

We are in a private residence.  We had two DVR's and could pause live TV in the past, prior to X1. Now it seems that only one of our boxes is a DVR? 

Expert

@Brad0911 wrote:

We are in a private residence.  We had two DVR's and could pause live TV in the past, prior to X1. Now it seems that only one of our boxes is a DVR? 

You may be in a market that only allows 1 DVR per account....   if you posted the model numbers of your boxes we can easilt tell what you have then....

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

ok, but how do I get this problem fixed with the pixelated pictures and freezing 

Expert

@Brad0911 wrote:

ok, but how do I get this problem fixed with the pixelated pictures and freezing 

Call and get a TECH onsite o diagnose and fix your signal issues....

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

called twice Comcast customer service has hung up on me twice pretty frustrated! 

Expert

@Brad0911 wrote:

called twice Comcast customer service has hung up on me twice pretty frustrated! 

did you call the dedicated x1 support number at 877-896-8678 ? It might be a good idea to call from a cellphone (that is not using comcast internet in case the resets also reset your data modem/phone interface which might cause a hangup

Regular Visitor

Are you able to get X1 box (non DVR) replacement at local Xfinity stores?  

Frequent Visitor

yes, I will visit them tomorrow

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please do not try to bypass the filter. thank you. Forum Guidelines (which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state Please Don't 2. Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Poster

My X1 second box has audio delays on any on demand show. I have tried the components, hdmi, and optical and it is all the same.
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Gwen-

Getting the RDK - 03004 error on 3 of my TVs.  My main TV with X1 box is working just fine, but not the others.   Can you send a signal, perhaps?

Thank you in advance!

Expert

@Jeepinjason wrote:
My X1 second box has audio delays on any on demand show. I have tried the components, hdmi, and optical and it is all the same.

If you mean lips (for example) are behind the audio, out of sync, that has been an issue that appeared in 1.47.20. Hopefully they can fix that in next update. If it is not in the XRE and in firmware then maybe the firmware update to 2.0 will fix it. Wife and I were watching a DVD and I remarked how nice it was that the sound/picture were in sync.

Gold Problem Solver

ARGH,

Audio sync has been an issue with X1 since the beginning of time itself. It is not new, especially with the Companion boxes. However we can only hope that 2.0 firmware helps with this....

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jeepinjason wrote:

If you mean lips (for example) are behind the audio, out of sync, that has been an issue that appeared in 1.47.20. Hopefully they can fix that in next update. If it is not in the XRE and in firmware then maybe the firmware update to 2.0 will fix it. Wife and I were watching a DVD and I remarked how nice it was that the sound/picture were in sync.

Silver Problem Solver

@sheerpink wrote:

Hi, Gwen-

Getting the RDK - 03004 error on 3 of my TVs.  My main TV with X1 box is working just fine, but not the others.   Can you send a signal, perhaps?

Thank you in advance!

I called 800-comcast and they reset mine and it's working now.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

XRE-00253 error during X1 install on all 3 companion boxes

Reaching out for any possible help - I am located in Carneys Point NJ and had an X1 system installed yesterday (DVR box and 3 additional STBs).  The installer was only able to get the DVR box working, the other 3 boxes have a "XRE-00253" error after initial setup.  He and the person on the other end were unable to initialize these 3 boxes and I was told there was some server outtage affecting the area, he left with the boxes not working.  I then contacted Comcast and through 4 different people we failed over and over again to initialize these boxes even though they see no problem on either end (and they knew of no "server outtage").  My ticket (CR423531202) has been escalated to some supreme X1 being that may or may not get back to me within 72 hrs... I have also scheduled a technician visit but that won't be until Saturday, hoping to find some resolution here.  

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XRE-00253 error during X1 install on all 3 companion boxes

A handful of Comcast employees hang out here in this forum but there is not guaranty one of them will reach out to you. I strongly suggest you move forward without thinking you will receive help in this forum.

It would be GREAT if one of the Comcast employees here would reach out to you, but I would not count on it or wait for it to happen.

@cabap wrote:

Reaching out for any possible help - I am located in Carneys Point NJ and had an X1 system installed yesterday (DVR box and 3 additional STBs).  The installer was only able to get the DVR box working, the other 3 boxes have a "XRE-00253" error after initial setup.  He and the person on the other end were unable to initialize these 3 boxes and I was told there was some server outtage affecting the area, he left with the boxes not working.  I then contacted Comcast and through 4 different people we failed over and over again to initialize these boxes even though they see no problem on either end (and they knew of no "server outtage").  My ticket (CR423531202) has been escalated to some supreme X1 being that may or may not get back to me within 72 hrs... I have also scheduled a technician visit but that won't be until Saturday, hoping to find some resolution here.  

Thanks

Problem Solver

Re: XRE-00253 error during X1 install on all 3 companion boxes

If I had a comcast employee at my home, and they were unable to complete the install for any reason I would have got their personal cell number. Did they not call you prior to the appointment from a cell phone?
New Poster

When is this magical firmware update going to be out?
Problem Solver

Soon.
Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by reltubps removed because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by ComcastAndrew removed because it quotes a post which was removed for violating forum guidelines. Subsequent posts also removed because they refer to the removed post and without it they make no sense without a  to reference.

New Poster

I turn my TV on and Xfinity tells me TRYING TO CONNECT TO THE X1 PLATFORM.THIS MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES.Wwll it's been doing it for 2 hours....What's the deal

Silver Problem Solver

@ravilla71 wrote:

I turn my TV on and Xfinity tells me TRYING TO CONNECT TO THE X1 PLATFORM.THIS MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES.Wwll it's been doing it for 2 hours....What's the deal

Did you unplug the X1 and plug it back in?  You can also call x1 - 1-877-896-8678.

New Poster

This is ridiculous. I am so mad.... M y appointment for Friday was canceled by xfinity because if a power outage that did not effect my house! Then the promised me they would be there Sunday. I went on just a few minutes ago to check because I had not received the 20 confirmation calls that I usually get and it was set for Monday. I was very clear On the date and had my wife right next to me when I confirmed it several times! Just called and spent another 30 minutes going back and forth to get the appointment for Sunday. She told me they canceled it again for Sunday because of the power outage! There is no powere outage. She said she would make a note of it and they would come out. I am into this for 3 hours on the phone now and 8 days without two of my boxes working.

I never had these issues with dish and will go back as soon as possibles the high speed internet is all I will keep going forward. I got suckered in and will never suggest any Comcast product to anyone.
New Poster

Whenever I hit the Guide button twice to go to the menu that lets me filter the Guide by HD, sports, movies, etc., the screen only displays for less than a second before returning to the regular Guide. If I am really quick I can select the filter that I want, but it ususally takes multiple tries. I have rebooted, but nothing solves the issue.

New Poster

I am having trouble with connecting to the X1 Platform. I have unplugged the box 3 times and its not working
New Poster

If you are reading this and have not purchased Comcast XFinity yet, DON'T!  Between X1 instability and the incredibly poor customer service resolving these issues this technology is clearly not ready for general consumption.  Here are just a few of the plethora of issues I've encountered to date and I've been a customer about 8 months...

1) Initial setup signal strength was so weak that I had to go purchase a repeater box (Best Buy out of pocket) to strengthen their signal to even receive a wireless signal on the second floor.

2) Initial setup boxes kept turning themselves off at random intervals (turns out the power cable supplied for the boxes was the incorrect color for the hardware <-- I could not make that up.  The incorrect color failed to power the boxes correctly.

3) Current issue: Recordings on my DVR occasionally disappear without me deleting them.  Have lost episodes like Bones, NOVA, American Horror Story, @Midnight, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Gotham.  Nobody can explain the disappearances.

4) Current issue.  Just about every other day, I try to view recordings on a satellite box (not the main DVR) and see a message similar to "Missing Recordings?  Make sure all of your boxes are powered on."  To fix this, issue I need to unplug all four boxes and wait for them to come back online.

5) Current issue: Satellite DVR has no recordings on it about twice a week.  I THINK sometimes the connection between the boxes gets broken at night but I have no idea how to fix it.

6) Called tech support regarding 5 above.  They couldn't schedule a home appointment because their scheduling system was down.  Then their system locked up totally so they kindly asked me to call back later.  A fine example of customer service.

7) Current issue: Last night I was watching a movie and received the message "Movie not available at this time.  Try again later."  Turns out the main DVR downstairs decided to reboot (this would take 35 minutes).  Called tech support...leading me to issue 8.

8) Current issue: 17 minutes on hold waiting...not bad.  Tech took my info.  I asked to speak with a manager.  Instead they told me they needed to schedule an onsite appointment.  I asked for this Tuesday.  They said the earliest was this Wednesday.  But once they scheduled it they could mark it escalated and possibly get me Tuesday since I would not be available Wednesday.  Tech told me to wait while it was escalated and never came back on the phone.  I waited an additional 18 minutes for a total of 35 minutes before hanging up.  I got may confirmation email for the Wednesday appointment that I didn't want and cannot be here for today.

I have encountered issue after issue since switching from Verizon.  I'm looking into satellite television.  At least they only don't work when its cloudy.

Stacey Winnett

Unhappy X1 Customer

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

I so love people that spend so much time to write these long rants.

You have incoming or outgoing signal problems. Get a tech out to your house as soon as you can.

FYI, these issues are not unique to you in fact they are discussed in this forum on a daily basis...

You have fixable issues. Call the X1 help line.

By they way, threatening to leave Comcast falls on deaf ears. They hear it every day.

@StaceyX1Issues wrote:

If you are reading this and have not purchased Comcast XFinity yet, DON'T!  Between X1 instability and the incredibly poor customer service resolving these issues this technology is clearly not ready for general consumption.  Here are just a few of the plethora of issues I've encountered to date and I've been a customer about 8 months...

1) Initial setup signal strength was so weak that I had to go purchase a repeater box (Best Buy out of pocket) to strengthen their signal to even receive a wireless signal on the second floor.

2) Initial setup boxes kept turning themselves off at random intervals (turns out the power cable supplied for the boxes was the incorrect color for the hardware <-- I could not make that up.  The incorrect color failed to power the boxes correctly.

@3) Current issue: Recordings on my DVR occasionally disappear without me deleting them.  Have lost episodes like Bones, NOVA, American Horror Story, @Midnight, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Gotham.  Nobody can explain the disappearances.

4) Current issue.  Just about every other day, I try to view recordings on a satellite box (not the main DVR) and see a message similar to "Missing Recordings?  Make sure all of your boxes are powered on."  To fix this, issue I need to unplug all four boxes and wait for them to come back online.

5) Current issue: Satellite DVR has no recordings on it about twice a week.  I THINK sometimes the connection between the boxes gets broken at night but I have no idea how to fix it.

6) Called tech support regarding 5 above.  They couldn't schedule a home appointment because their scheduling system was down.  Then their system locked up totally so they kindly asked me to call back later.  A fine example of customer service.

7) Current issue: Last night I was watching a movie and received the message "Movie not available at this time.  Try again later."  Turns out the main DVR downstairs decided to reboot (this would take 35 minutes).  Called tech support...leading me to issue 8.

8) Current issue: 17 minutes on hold waiting...not bad.  Tech took my info.  I asked to speak with a manager.  Instead they told me they needed to schedule an onsite appointment.  I asked for this Tuesday.  They said the earliest was this Wednesday.  But once they scheduled it they could mark it escalated and possibly get me Tuesday since I would not be available Wednesday.  Tech told me to wait while it was escalated and never came back on the phone.  I waited an additional 18 minutes for a total of 35 minutes before hanging up.  I got may confirmation email for the Wednesday appointment that I didn't want and cannot be here for today.

I have encountered issue after issue since switching from Verizon.  I'm looking into satellite television.  At least they only don't work when its cloudy.

Stacey Winnett

Unhappy X1 Customer

Problem Solver

@Farleyo64 wrote:

Whenever I hit the Guide button twice to go to the menu that lets me filter the Guide by HD, sports, movies, etc., the screen only displays for less than a second before returning to the regular Guide. If I am really quick I can select the filter that I want, but it ususally takes multiple tries. I have rebooted, but nothing solves the issue.

Fortunately this is an easy fix... Go to menu -> settings gear -> Comcast Labs -> turn off "Faster Menu Navigation"

New Poster

RickGr4,

If people are threatening to leave every day then possibly someone at the top should take notice that there could possibly be something wrong.  The majority of your replies are regarding incoming and outgoing signal problems.  Perhaps, starting there would eliminate these "threats".

New Poster

And as far as getting a tech out here, my first attempt, the tech scheduling system was down on your end.  The second attempt was scheduled on an incorrect day and was supposed to be escalated and the support person never returned to the call.  All of this is detailed in my "long rant" as you put it.

Gold Problem Solver

No that is not the way it works. Comcast likes all big telecom companies figured out a long time ago they will never make everyone happy so they actually budget to lose a certain amount of customers every single day. It's called churn. If you threaten to leave Comcast it falls on deaf ears. They have heard it countless times before. If you actually do leave them you just become another meaningless stat on a bean counters daily sales sheet.

Stacy I understand what you are saying but you need to face big telecom reality. I have been down this road before... You need to learn to play their game.

@StaceyX1Issues wrote:

RickGr4,

If people are threatening to leave every day then possibly someone at the top should take notice that there could possibly be something wrong.  The majority of your replies are regarding incoming and outgoing signal problems.  Perhaps, starting there would eliminate these "threats".