Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Tctc,

That's pretty weird. Do you remember the other shows? I'd like to check if they're still on the cloud (if they ever were). 

Gotcha, thanks for catching me up on the deletion issue. Is this something that persists even after a cable box exchange?

I just sent a signal to address the XRE-06026 code. The Today Show wasn't listed so I couldn't push it to that exact program so I sent it to all programs instead. 

Thanks.

The cloud looks like it matches my DVR right now (although it says 72% full, when I'm sure I'm only at twentysomething on the DVRs, but that's a separate known issue that apparently won't be resolved).  The recordings disappeared, probably after the next reboot.

From what I've read, everyone on the forums has the deleting issue intermittently, haven't heard of anyone changing boxes and it going away.  The recording isn't on the box any more, if you try to play it you get an error message, so it's a server side issue.

Most Valued Poster

Ken, look up 'ghost deletes' in the forums. This is a very old problem and it is getting worse. Rarely in the last two weeks have we been able to delete any recorded show after we watch it unless we use 'sync dvr'  as a work around which I am getting tired of doing or wait overnight. If we try to bring the show back up from the list to try to delete again it tells us the DVR is not working right now...yadda yadda.  Incorrect! Nothing wrong except to delete shows. Have tried more than one way to delete but nothing works. Like I said...age old problem and never been fixed. Sometimes it appears to be better but lately I can't even think of a show that I have been able to delete 'on command'.  Seems like such a simple task doesn't? We end up with a long list of 'blue lined' watched shows and its really annoying.

Official Employee

Tctc, I have heard from a few customers about the percentage mismatch issue for the cloud DVR and box DVR. If no recordings are missing from the cloud vs the native box, that is a good sign. The Cloud storage and native box can contain up to 60hours of SD programming. I know a few older boxes held 50 hours, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the mismatch comes from there? 

TerriB, did you ever exchange the box to remedy the deletion problem? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Tctc, I have heard from a few customers about the percentage mismatch issue for the cloud DVR and box DVR. If no recordings are missing from the cloud vs the native box, that is a good sign. The Cloud storage and native box can contain up to 60hours of SD programming. I know a few older boxes held 50 hours, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the mismatch comes from there? 

TerriB, did you ever exchange the box to remedy the deletion problem? 

There's a whole thread on the mismatch, which I believe is due to the calculation of Cloud storage being based on hours instead of file size, and a limited amount of storage being allocated to the Cloud, which is not related to your DVR capabilities, which in my case is high since I'm paying for 2 DVRs.  (A policy which makes no sense, your Cloud allocation should match what you're paying for on your DVR service.)

Official Employee

I see what you're saying tctc. I will open up a formal investigation with our corporate tech team for your X1 cloud DVR mismatch issues tctc and TerriB. Perhaps we can get some more insight there form tech ops. I'll also include the intermittent deletion problem too. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I'm going to hold off on reaching out to tech ops for you TerriB, because I'm seeing a few signal issues on my end from your cable box and also you modem. I'd like to send a few signals to isolate the issue. Let me know when I can do so. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I'm going to hold off on reaching out to tech ops for you TerriB, because I'm seeing a few signal issues on my end from your cable box and also you modem. I'd like to send a few signals to isolate the issue. Let me know when I can do so. 

Ken...to answer earlier question...no I have never swapped the box out due to the deletion issue. Its a system wide problem.

You can send signals whenever you wish. Never had this done before...will it shut off the box and the modem? If so hope not for too long.....

Official Employee

TerriB, yes some of the signals will reboot your DVR once it's received but for only a few minutes. So if you are in the middle of recording something, we can send it another time, or if you're in the middle of a show. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, yes some of the signals will reboot your DVR once it's received but for only a few minutes. So if you are in the middle of recording something, we can send it another time, or if you're in the middle of a show. 

Its fine to do it now if you can. Never after 7...dinner is over and we are either watching live or recordings. Hubby would freak out if it went off...lol. I am retired but he works hard and looks forward to his TV . We are EDT by the way.

******On second thought might be better to do it in the morning. I will be here all day and we can 'talk' on here after you perform the tests. Bad t storm here now so I am shutting down the computer.

Expert

@ComcastKenF the ghost listings after deletion are 'only' cured by either a reboot or 'sync DVR' (I happen to have 3 DVRs). There are two flavors of ghost listings of deleted programs, first gives you 'your DVR service is not working ...' the second gives you a regular menu on the already deleted recording and in fact you can play it from that second type of listing. Either type is 'removed' after doing 'sync DVR command' (which I asked to be added to voice command like 'about' is added).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@ComcastKenF the ghost listings after deletion are 'only' cured by either a reboot or 'sync DVR' (I happen to have 3 DVRs). There are two flavors of ghost listings of deleted programs, first gives you 'your DVR service is not working ...' the second gives you a regular menu on the already deleted recording and in fact you can play it from that second type of listing. Either type is 'removed' after doing 'sync DVR command' (which I asked to be added to voice command like 'about' is added).

AND what has Comcast done to fix the delete issue?

Official Employee

Thanks for that info, Rustyben. It definitely sounds like an issue with the cloud portion of the DVR. So it turns out that the XRE-06026 error code is a known issue that is being investigated. I'm going to keep an eye on it and update the thread once I have something. 

Most Valued Poster

Ken...when do you want to send the signals to my box? Recording the View at 11 EDT but any time after that. Lets do this today and see what you find out.

Thanks

Terri

Official Employee

Let's do it after 11am, TerriB. How's 1PM EST sound? 

Regular Contributor

Ah yes, the old Ghost delete issue Cato ! I have noticed that sometimes if you delete a show and it doesn't go away from the listing it will give you a "DVR service unavailable" if you try to play it, but if you go to deleted recordings it will also be listed there and if you permanently delete it the other listing will go away as well.  I suspect this is all due to a programming error that loses sync between the box and the cloud. I would have expected that this would have been fixed long ago but

ARRRRRGH ! Wrong answer.  Would you like to go to double jeopardy where the scores can really change ?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Let's do it after 11am, TerriB. How's 1PM EST sound? 

I just got this message...its 1:30PM now....lets do this ok? I won't be able to work with you over the holiday weekend.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Ah yes, the old Ghost delete issue Cato ! I have noticed that sometimes if you delete a show and it doesn't go away from the listing it will give you a "DVR service unavailable" if you try to play it, but if you go to deleted recordings it will also be listed there and if you permanently delete it the other listing will go away as well.  I suspect this is all due to a programming error that loses sync between the box and the cloud. I would have expected that this would have been fixed long ago but

ARRRRRGH ! Wrong answer.  Would you like to go to double jeopardy where the scores can really change ?

======

BJ....... I am so weary of the CLOUD messing with processes. I never ever use the darn thing yet it interferes with my enjoyment of X1.

Official Employee

TerriB, I'll send those signals now. Your cable box may reboot during the process. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, I'll send those signals now. Your cable box may reboot during the process. 

At 2:03 the screen went black for about 30 secs. Box stayed on normally

Official Employee

Cool, TerriB. Let me know if you see any percentage mismatch now on the cloud vs what's on your box. The signal problems I saw before look better. 

As far as the ghost deletion issue, that is a known issue and we have our engineering teams looking into it. I'll make sure to update this thread when I get any news. 

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Die Hard?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Cool, TerriB. Let me know if you see any percentage mismatch now on the cloud vs what's on your box. The signal problems I saw before look better. 

As far as the ghost deletion issue, that is a known issue and we have our engineering teams looking into it. I'll make sure to update this thread when I get any news. 

Ken....thanks for the test . FYI......I was not the one who posted about the Cloud/DVR % mismatch. I believe that was tctc.  I have zero use for the cloud and we don't stream orr watch any show or movie on anything other than the TV.

My issue was the inability to delete recordings and we also have a lot of pixelation issues on Fox and ABC which I did not mention to you.

The delete issue has been turned in to engineering before over and over and nothing ever happens and we never get feedback as to what they may have found or not found to be the problem.

Since the signals look better to you now should I get a tech out here to test the signals into the house? I don't want someone to come out if its not really necessary.

Official Employee

TerriB, thanks for clearing that up for me! 

I'm hoping the ghost deletion issue is resolved soon. I'm happy to report that we are working on it. 

How often are those channels pixelating? Is it during certain times of the day? This could be a result of the signal issues I saw earlier, so we may see some improvement after the signals were sent. Let me know! 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, thanks for clearing that up for me! 

I'm hoping the ghost deletion issue is resolved soon. I'm happy to report that we are working on it. 

How often are those channels pixelating? Is it during certain times of the day? This could be a result of the signal issues I saw earlier, so we may see some improvement after the signals were sent. Let me know! 

===

The pixelation is evident during the daytime so maybe we will get lucky after the signal was sent. It was reallly bad for months and then none and for the last week its back. 11-noon seems especially bad on ABC and of course shows up on recordings as well as live TV. Thanks for your help...fingers crossed.

Official Employee

Fingers crossed, TerriB! Let me know if the pixelation occurs again! 

Valued Contributor

Does anyone know why the firmware update for the XG 2 has been rolled-back to 2.9 from 2.10? The DVR is still using 2.10.

Expert

@RadTV wrote:

Does anyone know why the firmware update for the XG 2 has been rolled-back to 2.9 from 2.10? The DVR is still using 2.10.

can confirm same here on xg2 but the 3 DVRs here had never received the new '10'. all are on the same april xre and firmware versions.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

tctc, I have an update on the DVR mismatch concerns. I got some help from my colleague, Andrew, and it turns out that the DVR and cloud dvr storage percentage won't match--the physical dvr is about 500 GB in size and the cloud dvr is the last 60 hours of recordings regardless of HD or SD and the file sizes are smaller.

This explains why the shows all match but the percentages don't.

Official Employee

Hey RadTV, I do see that your XG2 box is on the 2.9 firmware. I have also checked that 2.9 is the current recommended firmware. 

Contributor

Having a problem with my X1 box/service. Recently when I press the guide button the guide will pop up blank on the screen. Channel up & down button does not work on the remote. Last button does not work either. Green light flickers on box showing IR signal is going to the box. All other buttons work. Workaround is to power down the box and power back up and everything works again. Noticed that a few days ago I was running XRE Protocol 2.9.0 with a date of 5/22/17.  As of today it is showing 2.8.0 with a date of 4/26/17. It rolled back ???? Does not make sense. Do I have a defective box ? Should I get a replacement ?

IMG_3525.JPG
Official Employee

Thanks for posting about your X1 issues, firemandude. I've checked out your box and I see a few signal errors. A few users before you mentioned that their firmware had retroactively adopted the 2.9 update after being at 2.10. How often are you seeing this issue with communicating with your remote? It could also mean an issue with your remote as well. How is the battery level? 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The picture he attached literally says 60% Smiley Happy
Contributor

Battery Level Ok at 60%. I have this issue at least once per day but can sometimes go 2 days without having to power down the box. If it was the remote it should affect all buttons and not just a few. Signal check using Comcast Labs shows signal level is good. Perhaps there is a problem communicating with the server ?  Since the rollback I have also lost a few features, eg. Power saver Mode.

Gold Problem Solver

The battery meter you are talking about has never proven to be accurate and should not be relied upon.

The "signal meter" in Comcast Labs tests only a small portion of critical X1 signal levels (I was told it doesn't test upstream signals) and like the battery meter should not be relied upon. That signal meter can indicate great signal levels but the user could still be experiencing significant problems.

X1 boxes have a user accessible diagnostic menu that can display quite a more useful signal information.

firemandude wrote:

Battery Level Ok at 60%. I have this issue at least once per day but can sometimes go 2 days without having to power down the box. If it was the remote it should affect all buttons and not just a few. Signal check using Comcast Labs shows signal level is good. Perhaps there is a problem communicating with the server ?  Since the rollback I have also lost a few features, eg. Power saver Mode.
Official Employee

firemandude, thanks. I'd like to send a signal to your box to see if we see any change. When is a good time? 

Contributor

You can send the signal anytime today. Thanks

Expert

re: firmware changes, for whatever reason, after new firmware is 'installed' overnight, often one or more of the remotes don't work (blink red/green) and can't communicate with the set top box. powerdown reboot of set top box immediately fixes the problem. Note that I don't use the 30 second 'mod' skip function but many posts say the same happens to the skip function after any firmware update (a power reboot also fixes that issue until next firmware update). It appears that the 'state' is not restored after a firmware update and a second reboot properly initializes both the RF pairing and the 30 second skip option.

Official Employee

firemandude, I've sent those signals. Let me know if you see a change. 

Contributor

Right away I can see that the XRE server version has changed to 1.75.04 and the date is back to 5/22/17. Receiver Native is 2.10  I also noticed that the initials DFN no longer appear before the device name. Seems to be back to normal but time will tell. We will see what happens when the box updates tonight between 2am and 4am.

Official Employee

firemandude, thanks for the update. Definitely let me know if it changes again. 

Contributor

After getting home from work and trying the tv, it seems to work fine but I checked the software version and I am back to XRE Server Version 1.74 and the date stamp is back to 04/22/17. After you sent the signal yesterday it was 1.75 with a date of 05/26/17. This baffles me.

Silver Problem Solver

@firemandude wrote:

After getting home from work and trying the tv, it seems to work fine but I checked the software version and I am back to XRE Server Version 1.74 and the date stamp is back to 04/22/17. After you sent the signal yesterday it was 1.75 with a date of 05/26/17. This baffles me.

I have had 5 X1 STB's for several years and I have seen this happen lots of times.  No one has ever explained why, but my STB's continue to work, so why worry? 

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

firemandude, I've checked out your box on my end and I see you have version 2.10. Perhaps it updated since you posted?

Contributor

Seems to be working fine now Ken. I'll just keep an eye on it. Yes, it does have the lastest firmware update. 2.10   I was just questioning the XRE Server version number that went from 1.75 down to 1.74, but as long as it works that's all I care about. Thank You.

Official Employee

firemandude, that sounds good. Keep me updated. 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKen, this is sort of related to a topic tctc brought up a few weeks ago regarding buffer on live TV.

For a year, mine worked great. For example, if I knew I was going to be late getting home to see the beginning of a show, I judt made sure the box was tuned to that channel and I could rewind to catch the previous 25 minutes I missed. That changed about 1 or 2 months ago.

I work from home and leave the TV on in my office for background noise, such as a news channel. Something would catch my ear and I'd want to rewind. As soon as I press any button (including the rewind) the screen would blank for a second and "switched to HD based on your preferences" would display, as though the box retuned the channel. The buffer would be empty and no rewind would be available. Only then would it begin to buffer.

Then I began noticing that this same screen blank (with Switched to HD) was happening several times throughout the day if I hadn't changed channels all day. This was happening on its own without any interaction from me.

Now I've begun seeing that if the channel hasn't been turned in a while, even if I press pause, where no buffer should have been needed, I get the blanking screen, it won't pause and I get a blanking screen, I press pause again it still won't pause. I have to press pause 3 times to actually get it to pause.

OK, so given these symptoms, I thought maybe the flash memory was failing. So I returned the box to the local Comcast office yesterday and got a new replacement. Hooked up the new one, and it's doing the same thing.

It's as though the box stops buffering live TV if it hasn't seen the chanel change for an hour or two. I know it's fully communicating with my LG TV because it recognized the TV by brand when I set up the new box.

Expert

@PowerTool wrote:

ComcastKen, this is sort of related to a topic tctc brought up a few weeks ago regarding buffer on live TV.

For a year, mine worked great. For example, if I knew I was going to be late getting home to see the beginning of a show, I judt made sure the box was tuned to that channel and I could rewind to catch the previous 25 minutes I missed. That changed about 1 or 2 months ago.

I work from home and leave the TV on in my office for background noise, such as a news channel. Something would catch my ear and I'd want to rewind. As soon as I press any button (including the rewind) the screen would blank for a second and "switched to HD based on your preferences" would display, as though the box retuned the channel. The buffer would be empty and no rewind would be available. Only then would it begin to buffer.

Then I began noticing that this same screen blank (with Switched to HD) was happening several times throughout the day if I hadn't changed channels all day. This was happening on its own without any interaction from me.

Now I've begun seeing that if the channel hasn't been turned in a while, even if I press pause, where no buffer should have been needed, I get the blanking screen, it won't pause and I get a blanking screen, I press pause again it still won't pause. I have to press pause 3 times to actually get it to pause.

OK, so given these symptoms, I thought maybe the flash memory was failing. So I returned the box to the local Comcast office yesterday and got a new replacement. Hooked up the new one, and it's doing the same thing.

It's as though the box stops buffering live TV if it hasn't seen the chanel change for an hour or two. I know it's fully communicating with my LG TV because it recognized the TV by brand when I set up the new box.

not sure why you don't just hit record on the app to fix this problem (hot or 'series'). Do you have the DVR busy with 5+ recordings at one time that would occupy the tuners? What is the model number of your DVR? Have you tried swapping the xiD for an XG2 (has its own tuners).

Regular Contributor

SO I have something strange that seemed to crop up a couple of weeks ago. I'm running 1.75.06  ..  I press the Xfinity Button to get to the sub-menus. Then Arrow to get to SAVED (or any of the selections),  go to SAVED to see what I have recorded, press OK.  Everything I press are SLOOOOOOW (Delayed). I can literally see the selected items almost display1 by 1 on the screen. If I get impatient and press the arrow too many times, the result will buffer my selections, and painfully advance to where I last pressed it.  I have to perform a RESTART of the X1 to fix this issue - and in fact it is fine after a restart for a few days.  But every few days I have to RESTART the box.  Anyone else seeing this?

Regular Contributor

@PowerTool wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who's seen this behavior.  Was thinking maybe a change in the HD preference would help, but it happens when the channel is already on HD, so that may not make sense, unless there's some programming that isn't checking what channel it's on, but still auto-re-tuning to HD channel just to be sure.   

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@PowerTool wrote:

not sure why you don't just hit record on the app to fix this problem (hot or 'series'). Do you have the DVR busy with 5+ recordings at one time that would occupy the tuners? What is the model number of your DVR? Have you tried swapping the xiD for an XG2 (has its own tuners).

Hitting record does not record buffer as far as I know, that's been a pretty long ongoing discussion topic.   And I don't think that would stop the re-tuning issue, so there wouldn't be any buffer to record.  So while sure, plannig ahead and recording everything would work, the issue is more related to seeing something interesting when you first turn on your TV, and wanting to back up and watch from the beginning.