Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Contributor

Re: Xfinity X1 tv service

The error code is rdk-03032, we are having trouble connecting to the X1 platform. This may be temporary. Is this is what you are referring to by code word?
Gold Problem Solver

Ok here is the deal.

Your modem specs are very suspect. The X1 numbers you posted are well within spec but they only tell about half of the X1 signal picture. The only person that can see ALL of the critical X1 signal numbers is a tech that is on site. No Comcast employee can see all of your X1 signal levels from a remote location.

The X1 diagnostic menu also indicates codeword errors just like your modem. You haven't found that screen yet.

That doesn't change my original opinion. You have defective signal coming in to your house. Comcast needs to send a "line crew" out to your neighborhood to troubleshoot the problem.

Like I said earlier... RDK-03032 means your X1 box has a very poor or no connection to the Comcast servers.... You could have issues both inside and outside of your house...

sahooavinash18 wrote:

The error code is rdk-03032

Contributor

Ok, sounds good. As of now the linesman have replaced my drop, tap, undergorund cables, and all new cables going into the house. I guess i need a network team out here now. Once again, do you remember though what was the final thing comcast did for you that finally resolved your error codes?

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast didn't have X1 back in 2004 so the error codes do not apply.

I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to say. RDK-03032 means that particular X1 box has a very poor connection (or no connection) to the Comcast network.

If you unplug and reboot that particular X1 box and still get RDK-03032, either the signal to that box is horrible or there is a small chance the box is defective.

Either way, I think you need to get another tech out to your house.

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Ok, sounds good. As of now the linesman have replaced my drop, tap, undergorund cables, and all new cables going into the house. I guess i need a network team out here now. Once again, do you remember though what was the final thing comcast did for you that finally resolved your error codes?

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 Box: Should I output at 720p or 1080p?

@rubietuesdayt wrote:

I am not sure how true that is, because yesterday I tried reducing my output to 480i resolution and it absolutely butchered the picture. The 720p and 1080p look much better. So even if these SD channels are broadcasting at 480, the picture is indeed improved when I switch my output to 720 or 1080.

We found that to be true also.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@BeowolfJones wrote:

The thread seems to be open again.I thought orphaned recordings resisting deletion were a gone item. Nope !

I PM'd Comcast about closing the Updates thread and Andrew re-opened it.

Yesterday I had 4 orphaned recordings for many hours. There was a mix of deletion methods. They all showed in 'recently deleted' even though they were still showing in the recordings list. I tried to restore The View to see if I could delete it again and actually make it go away and got  inane error message about 'trying to restore your recording blah blah blah'...really? I waited a minute and went back to the orphaned  The View  recording and deleted it again and it actually worked. I have almost become OCD over trying to delete recordings. Have almost 100 in the list and DO NOT want to see those already watched....when I delete I want them GONE. What is so difficult about fixing this?

Expert

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

the error codes in the 100s of thousands on my old pace v1 are zero on the new arris DVRs I have now. Only thing that changed was changing out the pace v1 DVRs to the arris DVRs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

In reading the Updates thread I see someone just discovering the ghost delete bug, and I'm wondering if there's a list of known bugs on any of the threads?  (Not enhancement/upgrades/UI improvements/cloud implementations/connectivity issues, just plain old system wide behavioral bugs.)

What I'm still seeing:

- Ghost delete

Deleting from DVR not synching to cloud (possibly part of ghost delete)

- Play next episode (as of last week, haven't tried this week)

- When paused, pressing forward does not always initiate slow motion, sometimes goes to fast forward.

- When paused, need to press play twice to get going on play again (doubly annoying if you press arrow up to dismiss the icons from the screen, as now resuming play results in 4 button presses). 

- I'm also occasionally getting behavior where I enter a 3 digit channel number while in the guide, and it tunes to the channel instead of moving to that channel in the guide.  (Any one else seen that?)

(The old bug where rewinding too close to the beginning of the buffer caused jumping back to live has been fixed for me for a while.)

Contributor

Interesting...I have the pace rng150 now

Gold Problem Solver

The RNG-150 is the "mutt" of X1 cable boxes. They were out of date when Comcast introduced them three years ago. You want to swap that box for an XG2. I am not saying that will solve your problems (I still think you have signal issues that will require another tech visit) but I would swap out the RNG-150.

Suggest you read this: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Interesting...I have the pace rng150 now

Contributor

Yeah...so I checked and the xg2 isn't available in my area yet, and I don't think your understanding the fact that 9 techs have come out here and they have all failed. Obviously this is a network issue now that Comcast needs to fix. Oh yeah and the link is broken.
Gold Problem Solver

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Yes I told you earlier that you probably have an issue that will require a line crew to fix.

Suggest you contact your local cable commission and file a complaint. If I understand the process properly, legally Comcast must respond to that.

@sahooavinash18 wrote:
Yeah...so I checked and the xg2 isn't available in my area yet, and I don't think your understanding the fact that 9 techs have come out here and they have all failed. Obviously this is a network issue now that Comcast needs to fix. Oh yeah and the link is broken.

Problem Solver

How many X1 cable boxes do you have? How are your boxes wired from the main coax coming into your house? How is your cable modem wired into the main coax. How many splitters/amps do you have connecting it all?  Are you getting the rdk-03032 error on just one box or all that you have?

Gold Problem Solver

Good point here.

X1 requires a very specific type of RF amp (signal booster). Do you know what you have? Can you take a picture of it?

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

How many X1 cable boxes do you have? How are your boxes wired from the main coax coming into your house? How is your cable modem wired into the main coax. How many splitters/amps do you have connecting it all?  Are you getting the rdk-03032 error on just one box or all that you have?

Contributor

Yeah so that's the thing. I have 0 amplifiers installed and this is what the tech is planning to do tw. Maybe all this fuss is about an amp
Problem Solver

But you didn't answer any of the other questions about what you have and how it is hooked up.

Contributor

Ok so I have one rng 150n pace and one digital receiver upstairs. My wiring setup starts with a signal splitter splitting tv and Internet. The tv going upstairs to my digital receiver has no splitters. Going back downstairs, we have another splitter which splits to the X1box and my modem.
Expert
Moved:

Gold Problem Solver

If the OP has truly had nine visits by Comcast techs, this sort of thing would have been checked time and time again.

Considering the questions the OP has and has not answered, this story is starting to sound very fishy.

sahooavinash18, I am sorry but your story isn't making a great deal of sense.

There is missing and incomplete information here...

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

But you didn't answer any of the other questions about what you have and how it is hooked up.

Problem Solver

So you have 2 splitters in your line? Is this how the Comcast techs wired it? Sounds like a mess.

What do you mean when you say your "setup starts with a signal splitter splitting tv and Internet", especially when you say you "have another splitter which splits to the X1box and my modem"? What is the first splitter doing?

@sahooavinash18 wrote:
Ok so I have one rng 150n pace and one digital receiver upstairs. My wiring setup starts with a signal splitter splitting tv and Internet. The tv going upstairs to my digital receiver has no splitters. Going back downstairs, we have another splitter which splits to the X1box and my modem.
Contributor

Yes you are correct. The first splitter comes directly from the drop as I have both Internet and tv service. So essentially I have two splitters connected to the x1 box and modem
Gold Problem Solver

I will try to ask this question as simply as I can. Start where Comcast signal enters your house.

Please detail any and all devices you have other than wire. Splitters? Amps? Boosters? Convertors?

@sahooavinash18 wrote:
Yes you are correct. The first splitter comes directly from the drop as I have both Internet and tv service. So essentially I have two splitters connected to the x1 box and modem

Problem Solver

Maybe even better, draw a picture and take a pic of it with your camera and upload it, because your description is more than confusing.

Problem Solver

Ideally, you would want an amp connected to your main coax, then it feeds each of your 3 devices (2 cable boxes and 1 modem).

Diamond Problem Solver

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

So you have 2 splitters in your line? Is this how the Comcast techs wired it? Sounds like a mess.

What do you mean when you say your "setup starts with a signal splitter splitting tv and Internet", especially when you say you "have another splitter which splits to the X1box and my modem"? What is the first splitter doing?

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

That's not a mess but very common set up when you have a modem and a cable box in the same room and very easy to figure out how it's configured. Unfortunately, there isn't anything in the signal levels of his modem and the very limited levels posted in the pictures that sticks out, the OP will just have to continue working with the local team.

sahooavinash18, the non Comcast e-mail address that you logged in to the forums with doesn't allow access to your equipment. If you can, send a private message to myself with account information and I can look a little deeper.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Nothing except splitters and one splice.

Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

That's not a mess but very common set up when you have a modem and a cable box in the same room and very easy to figure out how it's configured. Unfortunately, there isn't anything in the signal levels of his modem and the very limited levels posted in the pictures that sticks out, the OP will just have to continue working with the local team.

sahooavinash18, the non Comcast e-mail address that you logged in to the forums with doesn't allow access to your equipment. If you can, send a private message to myself with account information and I can look a little deeper.

Thats interesting as it is connected to my comcast account. I will send you a private message.

Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Thats interesting as it is connected to my comcast account. It is xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

@right, I'm looking for something that ends in @comcast.net, or account number. But send it to me privately ( click on my name) don't post personal information in this thread 

Contributor

Alright I have sent you the private email.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Alright I have sent you the private email.

Your second box is a DTA, what happens if you move the X1 box to where the DTA is? And where is the "splice"? If everything is new like you stated, there shouldn't be any splices. 

Contributor

Same issues if i move x1 box upstairs, as i did yesterday. The splice is connected from the drop line. And yes, i have already tried swapping out the box. Maybe do you think i might need an x1 amp as i have zero now?

Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Same issues if i move x1 box upstairs, as i did yesterday. The splice is connected from the drop line. And yes, i have already tried swapping out the box. Maybe do you think i might need an x1 amp as i have zero now?

No, if you can't get connected an amp isn't going to help. Signal levels aren't the problem. The amp is really meant for 4 or more devices. 

You have a tech appointment on 3/25 ( later today), they'll have to troubleshoot it. Nothing can be done remotely.

Contributor

I have had 7 techs visit so far and they have all failed. I highly suspect this is a network issue as my neighbor is experiencing same issues as me. What makes you think this "tech" can solve the problem?
Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:
I have had 7 techs visit so far and they have all failed. I highly suspect this is a network issue as my neighbor is experiencing same issues as me. What makes you think this "tech" can solve the problem?

Without being onsite, it's impossible to tell what exactly the issue is. 

Contributor

Alright seems fair. I would appreciate it if you could notify the network team to monitor my X1box in order to find out what is going on and or possibly send them out to the address.
Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:
Alright seems fair. I would appreciate it if you could notify the network team to monitor my X1box in order to find out what is going on and or possibly send them out to the address.

It is up to the tech who comes out later today to notify a network team ( maintainance) if deemed necessary. 

Contributor

Ok will post back after tech comes thanks for quick replies.
Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

In reading the Updates thread I see someone just discovering the ghost delete bug, and I'm wondering if there's a list of known bugs on any of the threads?  (Not enhancement/upgrades/UI improvements/cloud implementations/connectivity issues, just plain old system wide behavioral bugs.)

What I'm still seeing:

- Ghost delete

- When paused, pressing forward does not always initiate slow motion, sometimes goes to fast forward.

- When paused, need to press play twice to get going on play again (doubly annoying if you press arrow up to dismiss the icons from the screen, as now resuming play results in 4 button presses). 

- I'm also occasionally getting behavior where I enter a 3 digit channel number while in the guide, and it tunes to the channel instead of moving to that channel in the guide.  (Any one else seen that?)

(The old bug where rewinding too close to the beginning of the buffer caused jumping back to live has been fixed for me for a while.)

I successfully played a "next episode" last night without any issues.

Contributor

Ok, so got box replaced with Make & Model: SM SX022ANM. Anyone know which one this is? Its much repsonsive and smoother than the disgraceful/worthless rng150n

Diamond Problem Solver

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

Ok, so got box replaced with Make & Model: SM SX022ANM. Anyone know which one this is? Its much repsonsive and smoother than the disgraceful/worthless rng150n

That is the XG2 and yes it is a better model.

Signal levels on both your modem and XG2 look excellent.

Expert

@sahooavinash18 wrote:

call 800-comcast and select sales. Ask them to send you an XG2 on exhange. take old rng150 to UPS office and they will send back to comcast (get receipt).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Yes...the tech already took old box and I have xg2 running now.
Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@tctc wrote:

What I'm still seeing:

- Ghost delete

I successfully played a "next episode" last night without any issues.

-Ghost delete still there

-Yep when all I want to see is the guide info for a channel in the 3 digits it tunes to it and its really getting on my last nerve. Happening more and more.

-Pressing play twice to get back from 'pause' seems to happen to me only when the screen saver has come on

Regular Contributor

Yes Terri, The old ghost delete is alive and well. I would have hoped the programmers would have been embarrassed into fixing this problem long before now but it seems they are beyond embarrassment.

A interesting wrinkle that I noticed with orphaned supposedly  deleted programs is that if you attempt to play them using the "OK" button you get a "DVR service unavailable Message". However if you press the "Play" button then after a second or two they play !

This indicates a true programming glitch and is indicative of the sloppy, slovenly, careless, shiftless, thoughtless, brainless, and generally crummy approach to X1 the developers have used since X1's inception.

I hope their ears are burning.

1. X1 programmers get a bucket.

2. Find a comfortable chair and sit down with the bucket between your knees.

3. Bend over and put your head in the bucket.

4. Let the sap run out.

Anbody else notce that when you select a replacement for a misspelled word the stupid editor on this forum deletes the whole word instead ? The stupidity seems to be spreading.

Regular Visitor

Upgrading to X1 has been my worst Comcast experience.  Box stops working every 20 minutes, have to remove power supply and wait 5 mintues for it to reload, then I get TV for another 20 minutes and repeat.  Slave boxes are usless while it down also.  Comcast has been to my house twice now, again tomorrow, very dis-satisfied and frustrated.

Regular Visitor

I have had the X1 box for little over a year now. About a week after we got it and to this very day, I wish I could downgrade to the older box. It constantly lags, stutters, becomes unresponsive to the point where we are restarting it 2 - 3 times a day. If it wasnt for the contract we are under, I would just give this thing back, keep the internet service and get TV service elsewhere.
Gold Problem Solver

Or,

You could use this forum and a resource and do some reading within this forum. You would quickly find that your issues are discussed in this forum quite often (sometimes hourly) and are not unique to you. But there are also plenty of ways to fix your issues. Please pay close attention to where people discuss wiring, connections, signal issues and tech visits.

@sotokai wrote:
I have had the X1 box for little over a year now. About a week after we got it and to this very day, I wish I could downgrade to the older box. It constantly lags, stutters, becomes unresponsive to the point where we are restarting it 2 - 3 times a day. If it wasnt for the contract we are under, I would just give this thing back, keep the internet service and get TV service elsewhere.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Or,

You could use this forum and a resource and do some reading within this forum. You would quickly find that your issues are discussed in this forum quite often (sometimes hourly) and are not unique to you. But there are also plenty of ways to fix your issues. Please pay close attention to where people discuss wiring, connections, signal issues and tech visits.

@sotokai wrote:

The real problem is that Comcast designed a system that requires every connection and signal to be as close to perfect as possible for the system to work reliably.  The problem was and still is that this is not allowing for the real world infrastructure of the cable system. The old boxes worked almost all the time because the "Cloud" and constant communications was not required to make the box work because all the software routines required were on the box already when it was finally fully booted up.

We customers have been waiting a couple of years to have X1 fulfill the promises made in Comcast's X1 commercials. However, we are still plagued with poor spotty service even if we get all our signals and connections fixed.

It seems to me that the truth of the matter must be that the software used to develop X1 has some serious flaws in reliability and the design paradigm is also flawed. If you can't fix the system after two years, it is time to admit you made a mistake and reboot the whole X1 idea with a new approach. X1 is a flat tire on my TV viewing car. For anyone keeping score between the pre X1 system and X1, the old system wins hands down for reliability.  It had buffer recording and was functionally just better all round. Comcast just keeps adding fluff without fixing the underlying problems we have all complained about for two years.

X1 is the Edsel of  TV systems.

New Poster

I am having similar problem with box in bedroom. I have had nothing but headaches since upgrading to X1 DVR in living room and companion box in bedroom. Bedroom box stopped working after tech was here on Sunday. He did something and Comcast telling me the signal is strong between the boxes when the check. Next step is to switch out to a sepearate box that doesn't communicate with DVR. I was told to go by a Comcast location and pick up a box, problem is they all close by 5 p.m. or 6 p.m.  Tech coming again on Saturday morning - third week in a row I've had to have someone come out. Really sorry I upgraded even though I really like the system when it works, which hasn't been very often. I've only had it a month.

Expert

@msp718 wrote:

I am having similar problem with box in bedroom. I have had nothing but headaches since upgrading to X1 DVR in living room and companion box in bedroom. Bedroom box stopped working after tech was here on Sunday. He did something and Comcast telling me the signal is strong between the boxes when the check. Next step is to switch out to a sepearate box that doesn't communicate with DVR. I was told to go by a Comcast location and pick up a box, problem is they all close by 5 p.m. or 6 p.m.  Tech coming again on Saturday morning - third week in a row I've had to have someone come out. Really sorry I upgraded even though I really like the system when it works, which hasn't been very often. I've only had it a month.

call 877-896-8678 and have the tech check out your equipment's signal quality.