Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Official Employee

Re: X1 mini cable box won't connect

@tcab wrote:

We just received the x1 system and have the same problem. The main box works, but the 3 mini (companion) boxes get stuck on a "connecting" message or sometimes receive an error RDK10000. Does anyone have a resolution on gettting the companion boxes working? 

Do you happen to have an amplifier in your house, your dvr's downstream is way too high.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes, comcast installed the amplifier back in 2008.

Official Employee

@tcab wrote:

Then you need to get a tech out to install a different model, or replace it with a splitter. That one you have now would've worked fine for your legacy equipment but not for the X1 boxes.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks, we scheduled one for this week. The tech should come prepared with this? Or should we call to place a note on our appointment?

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@tcab wrote:

Then you need to get a tech out to install a different model, or replace it with a splitter. That one you have now would've worked fine for your legacy equipment but not for the X1 boxes.

Official Employee

@tcab wrote:

Thanks, we scheduled one for this week. The tech should come prepared with this? Or should we call to place a note on our appointment?

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@tcab wrote:

Tech should have it or if not, be able to get one.

New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Issue with the Pace ABL V1.17 software upgrade.  2 days of waiting for it to finish.

Official Employee

@fatalxops wrote:

Issue with the Pace ABL V1.17 software upgrade.  2 days of waiting for it to finish.

Don't wait any longer,it needs to get swapped out

New Poster

telephone support sent a signal to the box.  now it is doing a system staus:  Downloading the image (do not switch off the box)...  nearly done downloading now.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

It hasn't done this yet either..

Now it is doing this:

System status: Writing to Flash (do not switch off box)...

New Poster

Now its booting 3x now.

the word "Boot" is finaly on the front of the box.

and then PST..

S ST. and the time!!!  connecting to LIVE TV!  and we have television.

Andrew.. so now what?  do I still need to have the box replaced?  the box is now working.

Official Employee

@fatalxops wrote:

It hasn't done this yet either..

Now it is doing this:

System status: Writing to Flash (do not switch off box)...

I'm a field tech and normally if it does come back, it will come back but drop again soon after. When I see it, the box gets swapped.

Expert
Moved:

Expert

xre 158.05 11/09 stb mx011an 2.1p10s2

many updates in xre and firmware yet still getting ghosted recording assets after deletion where it says we are having problems when the asset is selected.

a cycle of exit exit exit 480, exit exit exit 1080 removes the ghosted entries as does a reboot. 

comcast, anyone working on this issue?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Anyone of you Comcast reps or X1 guru's want to tackle, or at least comment on the problem I posted the other day? Probably posted it in the wrong place though, but here it is again:

I upgraded to X1 this past Friday (10/21/2015). I have 1 DVR running through a Sony AVR and it works fine. I have three compainion boxes and they all work except when I hook them to my Yamaha RX-V667 AVR. I tried hooking the DVR up to it as well with no luck. None of the boxes will even initiate running through the Yamaha receiver. My old comcast box worked just fine with this receiver. The set up is HDMI from box to AVR and HDMI from AVR to Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector. If I run HDMI directly to my projector the box initiates successfully and video is good. The technician who installed the X1 upgrade was/is clueless as to the problem. Any suggestions?

P.S. I have updated the firmware for the Yamaha AVR to the latest release (2.05)

Frequent Visitor

So I installed a simple HDMI splitter and everything seems to be working fine now---knock on wood!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

DVR Cancels Recording!

I have CSI Cyber set as a series recording.  Due to the usual time over-run of football on CBS, I setup the recording with Xfinity Connect on my PC so that it ends 1 hour late.  It worked fine all last year, but this year so far, the DVR has cancelled every other episode.  At the time the recording is set to start, I get a message on the TV that the recording is cancelled.  It will not let me record the episode manually from the guide.  The next day, I see that it is recorded in the "cloud", with the extended recoding. 

I have done some investigation and found that CSI is NOT the lowest priority program; at the time of recording there would be 3 recordings in-progress while I am watching something else.  Nowhere near the 6 tuner limit.

I'm on XRE 1.58.05; STB 2.1p10_s2 on a Pace V3 box.

Anyone else having this or similar issues?  Any ideas on Why?

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR Cancels Recording!

@ThomT wrote:

I have CSI Cyber set as a series recording.  Due to the usual time over-run of football on CBS, I setup the recording with Xfinity Connect on my PC so that it ends 1 hour late.  It worked fine all last year, but this year so far, the DVR has cancelled every other episode.  At the time the recording is set to start, I get a message on the TV that the recording is cancelled.  It will not let me record the episode manually from the guide.  The next day, I see that it is recorded in the "cloud", with the extended recoding. 

I have done some investigation and found that CSI is NOT the lowest priority program; at the time of recording there would be 3 recordings in-progress while I am watching something else.  Nowhere near the 6 tuner limit.

I gave up trying to extend shows due to football.  We have the three shows after CBS football set for series recordings so every Sunday during football season I just record the news and whatever comes after the news and that way I know I will at least have all I want to see...its messy but it works.

Silver Problem Solver

There is no way to allow for programs (football) going overtime.

I tried using a recording that added the maximum and it still didn't catch all of the recording.

I deleted the recording and waited until the next day and watched the program with OnDemand.

Problem solved.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@ThomT wrote:

I'm on same versions, got live msg csi-cyber cancelled right at time to record with only one other recording sceduled. I don't give a whit about the program just recorded next show due to football tendancy to overrun schedule. 

unlike you though i did not get a cloud dvr recording. weird?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@ThomT wrote:

I'm on same versions, got live msg csi-cyber cancelled right at time to record with only one other recording sceduled. I don't give a whit about the program just recorded next show due to football tendancy to overrun schedule. 

I just use OnDemand.  I never rely on cloud because I always watch at home.  Lucky me.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@ThomT wrote:

I just use OnDemand.  I never rely on cloud because I always watch at home.  Lucky me.

I just watched the last limitless on my ipad mini since DVRs did not record it. Frustrating when you have 3x6 tuners for total of 18.

Expert

and why does 'legends' just ignore episodes and not record them at random on DVR nor cloud DVR (available next day on on-demand.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

and why does 'legends' just ignore episodes and not record them at random on DVR nor cloud DVR (available next day on on-demand.

That is a scheduling issue with the source - TNT/

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

That is a scheduling issue with the source - TNT/

the scheduled recordings that night showed it was to be recorded. (on list). Just didn't record.

Most Valued Poster

Well....CBS decided not to show CSI Cyber at all (usually 10 EST). I recorded from 11:30 to 1AM due to the football game just to make sure we got all our shows. We did manage to watch Madam Secretary in two pieces and the Good Wife seemed to be scattered over three hours somehow so I deleted everything, We watched Good Wife ON Demand but the 'skipped' CSI Cyber episode does not even show up there....whaaat? I love my football but this situation on CBS gets worse every season.  First they eliminated the 6PM news and then they moved 60 Minutes to 7:30 and its still way out of hand. This is not a Comcast issue of course but drives we customers nuts. From now on its ON Demand period paragraph for Sun night shows unless they skip episodes AGAIN.

I do not and will not ever use the Cloud.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

Well....CBS decided not to show CSI Cyber at all (usually 10 EST). I recorded from 11:30 to 1AM due to the football game just to make sure we got all our shows. We did manage to watch Madam Secretary in two pieces and the Good Wife seemed to be scattered over three hours somehow so I deleted everything, We watched Good Wife ON Demand but the 'skipped' CSI Cyber episode does not even show up there....whaaat? I love my football but this situation on CBS gets worse every season.  First they eliminated the 6PM news and then they moved 60 Minutes to 7:30 and its still way out of hand. This is not a Comcast issue of course but drives we customers nuts. From now on its ON Demand period paragraph for Sun night shows unless they skip episodes AGAIN.

I think the cloud dvr is great fo what it is worth. Why in the world would CBS hold back a cancelled series (csi-cyber) episode? 

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I think the cloud dvr is great fo what it is worth. Why in the world would CBS hold back a cancelled series (csi-cyber) episode? 

It is my understanding that CSI Cyber has not been cancelled and I cannot find any logic as to why they didn't air it at all on Sunday and like I said...its not On Demand either...skips from episode 8 to episode 10.

Just found this: UPDATE: Due to football running long, the East Coast apparently got no CSI: Cyber at all, and the other time zones got a repeat! We’ll let you know when this episode is rescheduled for, if CBS announces that information.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

It is my understanding that CSI Cyber has not been cancelled and I cannot find any logic as to why they didn't air it at all on Sunday and like I said...its not On Demand either...skips from episode 8 to episode 10.

Just found this: UPDATE: Due to football running long, the East Coast apparently got no CSI: Cyber at all, and the other time zones got a repeat! We’ll let you know when this episode is rescheduled for, if CBS announces that information.

two of CBS' lowest rated shows to be cancelled.. http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2015/12/01/cbs-predictions-madam-secretary-is-likely-to-be-renewed/875/

csi-cyber and code black. epidsoes cut, they are burning off the rest of the episodes.

Frequent Visitor

RDK-03004

Comcast denies problems with thier network. THey are having DHCP issues. If your getting the RDK-03004, Like I am ... your in an area where comcast has an IP address issue. Has nothing to do with signal strength. Please comcast fix this issue now!!

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

two of CBS' lowest rated shows to be cancelled.. http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2015/12/01/cbs-predictions-madam-secretary-is-likely-to-be-renewed/875/

csi-cyber and code black. epidsoes cut, they are burning off the rest of the episodes.

Its not official and I found this from May 2015 so its looking good. http://renewcanceltv.com/criminal-minds-blue-bloods-hawaii-five-0-poi-more-renewed-by-cbs/

Gold Problem Solver

Re: RDK-03004

If it were a DHCP issue then unplugging and rebooting the box should fix it.

HOWEVER, RDK-03004 usually IS a signal related error message. It means that particular box has an unusable connection to the Comcast network.

What have you done to troubleshoot? Have you swapped X1 box locations in your house to see if the box or the location is the problem?

@ufoboy47 wrote:

Comcast denies problems with thier network. THey are having DHCP issues. If your getting the RDK-03004, Like I am ... your in an area where comcast has an IP address issue. Has nothing to do with signal strength. Please comcast fix this issue now!!

Frequent Visitor

Had techs out,  now on 4th box.. does the same thing on all connections. It's not a signal issue. Tech's told me my signal is fine. The IP comes back online after about 8 resets... It's pretty crazy that this needs to be done. I just moved into a new house and setting up my media area I sometimes need to unplug stuff and when I unplug the box.. i have to see the fun RDK-03004 error.

Comcast needs to fix this issue. Nothing can be done otherwise.

Gold Problem Solver

Have you tried a box from that location that fails at a different location within your house???

If it were truly a DHCP issue we would have heard about this long ago. Considering the problem sounds unique to you, the solution probably is as well. You need to remember X1 service is now well over two years old. We should have heard of this by now....

@ufoboy47 wrote:

Had techs out,  now on 4th box.. does the same thing on all connections. It's not a signal issue. Tech's told me my signal is fine. The IP comes back online after about 8 resets... It's pretty crazy that this needs to be done. I just moved into a new house and setting up my media area I sometimes need to unplug stuff and when I unplug the box.. i have to see the fun RDK-03004 error.

Comcast needs to fix this issue. Nothing can be done otherwise.

Frequent Visitor

wow do you work for comcast? Why would comcast let a cat out of the bag that thier having issues? Anyway box's all failed in different areas in my house. So then tell me this IPST is the last part of the boot. thats where it throws the error up. How about we find out why this occurs, and if you do a search on twitter this is happing all over the country RDK-03004 and comcast is not fixing the issue.

Frequent Visitor

I am guessing for the lack of a responce, this issue can't be resolved and thus other who are having this same problem today will continue to have it till comcast fixes it.

Silver Problem Solver

What rick posted is correct, X1 is not new, of course you'll see these posts all over the internet because its common for people with bad signals.
Gold Problem Solver

It's a very fixable issue and personally I think you are not headed in the right direction in regards to fixing this. If it truly is a DHCP issue (which I doubt) the problem is your network or something local at your house. The X1 installation guide says absolutely nothing about RDK 03004 and DHCP...

You are the first person in over two years in this forum to make a connection between RDK 03004 and DHCP.
Frequent Visitor

Ok,

I will trust you guys now that it's a signal issue. I will call comcast and have them come out and check my signal. So now I have some insider support, what is IPST?  The cable box is always stuck on IPST and stays even when the red screen comes up with the RDK error. If this is an easy thing to fix what do you suggest I do?

Silver Problem Solver

That means it is trying to initialize during the boot-up.

Do you have any splitters between the incoming coax and your X1 box?

Are you in an apartment?

Each coax connector should be new.

And there could be issues with the coax drop to your residence.

Frequent Visitor

no splitters.. its ok i think comcast needs to address the problem. Thanks for helping however I am an IT prof. and have prior knowladge of digital video networks. X1 works on a IPTV platform.

When you boot your system, it boots up main vidIOS then needs to be ack. by the network. Checks the mac address, then IP is given (IPST) step  then it aquires channel streams SI ST then aquires data and X1 tv watching. Now it could be like you guys are saying bad signal, maybe there could be execess noise on my line. But because it finally connects it makes me wonder if the signal is fine but my box is not getting a new IP address.

Silver Problem Solver

You're jumping to conclusions and insisting that the problem is something that it's not, which means you're making this more difficult than it needs to be and pointing people in entirely wrong directions.

We know how IP addressing and DHCP works. Are you also familiar with RF networks, moca, and QAM tuning?

Sure, the symptom may be "unable to obtain IP address", but the cause is poor signals, as the error message is clearly telling you.

This is not a "problem that Comcast needs to fix", unless by "problem", you mean wiring issues in your area.

If you've had techs out there then it sounds like they are not fixing the problem. Is your TV working when they walk out the door? Or do they just do the usual "your signals are good, give it an hour"?

Expert

Just adding, 003004 means the box does see the server but signal levels are nearly too low or are in fact too low to successfully deliver content and control of channel viewed etc. 003003 means the box can't see at all any comcast server.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Its not official and I found this from May 2015 so its looking good. http://renewcanceltv.com/criminal-minds-blue-bloods-hawaii-five-0-poi-more-renewed-by-cbs/

heh, not to pop your bubble but that link is may 2015. ratings came in. person of interest has a partial season in the can but did not even put it on the schedule for 2016. My guess is they will use the canned new episodes to fill in for an early cancel of a 'new' show for 2016. we might see Person of Interest in 2017 just to burn off the canned new episodes. Time will tell.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

heh, not to pop your bubble but that link is may 2015. ratings came in. person of interest has a partial season in the can but did not even put it on the schedule for 2016. My guess is they will use the canned new episodes to fill in for an early cancel of a 'new' show for 2016. we might see Person of Interest in 2017 just to burn off the canned new episodes. Time will tell.

I can only hope that this latest CSI stays on. I love it because its about Cyber stuff but still very gritty and intense. We have learned a lot about cyber crime watching it.We gave up on Person of Interest as it got to be so boring with nothing exciting going on Used to love it. We better get off this subject as its off topic.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Last tech came out check all signals were good replaced box all was well.. then had to shutdown and turn it back on due to placing it in new furniture. it booted up to RDK-03004. Now All this time my internet works flawlesly and i can shut that off and it turns back on and it hits comcasts servers fine to get its configs.

I will have them come out and check the signals in my house. But not sure if thats going to be the fix.. since my internet is working perfectly. Anyone have anymore to add to this?

Silver Problem Solver

Bad splitter? Bad line to just that cable outlet?

Frequent Visitor

I guess it could be the amplifier we have its old we just moved into this place a few months ago,.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 require a very special RF amp. Surprised Comcast techs haven't installed one already.
Official Employee

@ufoboy47 wrote:

I guess it could be the amplifier we have its old we just moved into this place a few months ago,.

It makes sense that it could be the amp ( if it's the wrong type), typically modems are split before those types and that could explain why your internet has no issues.