Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@CCAndrew wrote:
The near zeroDB at amp in will give near 0DB amp out to each port with maximum crosstalk to let MoCA data propagate.
__________________

Why are you assuming that it would be 0db out of the amp? From experience, I can tell you it's rarely 0. Every house/apartment/ tap/ ground block is different and will have different signal levels. As a tech you work with what you are given to work with and make it work. Sometimes, it means one attenuator, sometimes it could mean each port on the amp gets a different one( 1,2,3,6,8 db options), whatever it takes to get the equipment in spec. Also, attenuator's are for both upstream and downstream.

the 0db is your base (between your two extremes) and output of the zero-loss/gain amp would equal the input (in range via attenuator if necessary). The attenuator will definitely interfere in the 2 say 2-way communication also, much better to adjust the tap if it has that feature but putting an attenuator on a zero-gain/loss (unity) amp feed is literally saying the input to the amp is out of spec (and should be adjusted before entry of signal to the amp). 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Rusty,

Please take this off line. At this point, you are not benefiting anyone here...


@Rustyben wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:
The near zeroDB at amp in will give near 0DB amp out to each port with maximum crosstalk to let MoCA data propagate.
__________________

Why are you assuming that it would be 0db out of the amp? From experience, I can tell you it's rarely 0. Every house/apartment/ tap/ ground block is different and will have different signal levels. As a tech you work with what you are given to work with and make it work. Sometimes, it means one attenuator, sometimes it could mean each port on the amp gets a different one( 1,2,3,6,8 db options), whatever it takes to get the equipment in spec. Also, attenuator's are for both upstream and downstream.

the 0db is your base (between your two extremes) and output of the zero-loss/gain amp would equal the input (in range via attenuator if necessary). The attenuator will definitely interfere in the 2 say communication also, much better to adjust the tap if it has that feature but putting an attenuator on a zero-gain/loss (unity) amp feed is literally saying the input to the amp is out of spec (and should be adjusted before entry of signal to the amp). 




 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

The talk may not be as "over people's heads" as you think.  Although I am not familiar with some of the acronyms used or other terms that are specific to cable TV, I do have a very good basic electronics background and do understand that kinks in a coax cable will cause reflections.  If it would do any good, I could bring my oscilloscope up to scope the signal.  I doubt that anything usefull could be seen.

 

My cable drop has been in place for 15 years.  Since it was only buried 2 inches deep, it has been nicked and even cut completely in half while doing yard work.  Comcast came out and spliced the cut.  I know of 2 other places where it was kinked or partially cut.

 

I will contact comcast about getting someone out to finish the job and put in a new drop.

 

Thanks for the help.

New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

please fix the box resetting back to 720p each night its getting very annoying.  You guys claimed you fixed this in the p13 firmware but it wasn't addressed at all.

New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

i had an x1 box installed as well as their modem for home phone. I got the deal price for all 3 services and didnt want the phone so when their modem froze the 1st day no big deal i reinstalled my own and their modem is on the shelf collecting dust. The x1 box is a whole different story, it also failed the first day, it froze rebooted and froze on boot. I unplugged it and it reset, worked 10 minutes and froze. it will work for 10 minutes and freeze. I have called comcast 4 times now and they reset it and it works 10 minutes !! I pulled everything and went to what used to be my local office to get a new box and low and behold the office has been closed and it is a 2 hour drive for me to get to the nearest office. I refuse to drive 2 hours and I know they will charge me to have a tech come and replace the box. Their support is worthless and I am just going to have an attorney take care of the problem and switch back to direct tv. !!! I am just posting this here to warn anyone about the x1 system and comcast's terrible service and equipment.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Sounds like you have signal issues which is fairly common for new X1 customers. Comcast will not charge you for a service call if the problem is outside of your house, signal to noise level related or defective hardware. They might charge you if the problem is within your house.

I think you have fixable signal problems and you should get a tech out.

FYI your threats are pointless. Comcast like all big telecom companies budget to lose customers every signal day. It's called churn. Threatening them falls on very deaf ears.


@stevenshouse82 wrote:

i had an x1 box installed as well as their modem for home phone. I got the deal price for all 3 services and didnt want the phone so when their modem froze the 1st day no big deal i reinstalled my own and their modem is on the shelf collecting dust. The x1 box is a whole different story, it also failed the first day, it froze rebooted and froze on boot. I unplugged it and it reset, worked 10 minutes and froze. it will work for 10 minutes and freeze. I have called comcast 4 times now and they reset it and it works 10 minutes !! I pulled everything and went to what used to be my local office to get a new box and low and behold the office has been closed and it is a 2 hour drive for me to get to the nearest office. I refuse to drive 2 hours and I know they will charge me to have a tech come and replace the box. Their support is worthless and I am just going to have an attorney take care of the problem and switch back to direct tv. !!! I am just posting this here to warn anyone about the x1 system and comcast's terrible service and equipment.





New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

My x1 set top keeps asking me to reset it i have plenty of times its still keeps coming up with the error code of : RDK-03004
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

That's a connection issue, either with your wiring or with Comcast.  If it doesn't go away, call Comcast and have a tech come to check your installation.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues

SOMETHING NEW....

 

Yesterday, I flipped on the system in the LR and after about 2 minutes I noticed a HUGE LAG in changing channels (30-40 seconds) and extreme LAG for any remote control selections to take affect on the DVR.....

 

SO I looked and the Server Environment was on P4-20....which was strange becasue my environment has always been in the BA-XX to BC-XX range....  me thinks my redirection was going to a server that was having either communication issues OR was severly bogged down with requests....

 

SO..... I reset the DVR.... and after a successful restart, my Envirionment changed back to something i had seen previously and ALL issues were GONE!!!

 

SInce the Server Environment is critical to XRE communications, I would suggest that in the future if you see this LAG develop or a boggind down of changing channels, RESTART your device and see if you can pick up a different Server Environment for your XRE communications...

 

-=Ray=-



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@geek46 wrote:

SOMETHING NEW....

 

Yesterday, I flipped on the system in the LR and after about 2 minutes I noticed a HUGE LAG in changing channels (30-40 seconds) and extreme LAG for any remote control selections to take affect on the DVR.....

 

SO I looked and the Server Environment was on P4-20....which was strange becasue my environment has always been in the BA-XX to BC-XX range....  me thinks my redirection was going to a server that was having either communication issues OR was severly bogged down with requests....

 

SO..... I reset the DVR.... and after a successful restart, my Envirionment changed back to something i had seen previously and ALL issues were GONE!!!

 

SInce the Server Environment is critical to XRE communications, I would suggest that in the future if you see this LAG develop or a boggind down of changing channels, RESTART your device and see if you can pick up a different Server Environment for your XRE communications...

 

-=Ray=-


I saw this too, also on a server environment beginning with 'p'..

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Posted this in the DVR topic instead.  Sorry for the double-post:

 

Upgraded to X1 when I moved to my new home last month.  Have had only minor, temporary issues so far.  However, last night, it was recording Gotham and Dancing with the Stars.  I noticed both had started recording.  Then, we started watching a previously recorded show on our DVR.  When we finished watching, I noticed that the new Dancing with the Stars episode was not on the DVR.  Tried waiting and rebooting the main box, but to no avail.  The next Dancing with the Stars is shown as scheduled, so the series recording is still active, but last night's disappeared - it's not even in the recently deleted folder.  So weird.  Now my wife is going to have to watch it on OnDemand where she can't fast foward during commercials.  Annoying.  I don't know if the problem was us watching a recorded show while recording two other shows or the box lost connectivity, but we should be able to do that; did that easily with our older boxes in the old home.  It just disappearing without a trace is just baffling.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Was persuaded to update cable box when i was in the store yesterday. I was given an X1 with remote, told to plug it in and follow onscreen prompts. Now i have the Error code XRE-00251. One phone tech has already spent an hour triying to activate the box. Despite being assured that a specialist tech would call with the hiur, I had to call them to be told - exact words-" no worries, a ticket has been issued already and it will take up to 72 hours for a tech to "fix the issue". Apparently this will all be done remotely and they will let me know if it has worked.
Aside from the hours of wasted time today trying to install a cable box, is it possible for them to fix things without me having to do anything on my end
Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@Piglet49 wrote:
Was persuaded to update cable box when i was in the store yesterday. I was given an X1 with remote, told to plug it in and follow onscreen prompts. Now i have the Error code XRE-00251. One phone tech has already spent an hour triying to activate the box. Despite being assured that a specialist tech would call with the hiur, I had to call them to be told - exact words-" no worries, a ticket has been issued already and it will take up to 72 hours for a tech to "fix the issue". Apparently this will all be done remotely and they will let me know if it has worked.
Aside from the hours of wasted time today trying to install a cable box, is it possible for them to fix things without me having to do anything on my end

Since you did a "Self-Install" from legacy equipment, there's a high probablility that your signal levels are not up to X1 Specifications......    X1 is a very critical Beast and needs much more than what could work for Legacy Equipment.....

 

That being said, it would be to your best advantage to get a TECH onsite to evaluate your wiring, connectors, outside connection, and possibly add a zero-loss amplifier, or remove unneeded splitters or replace bad splitters....

 

Good luck!

 

-=Ray=- 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Was persuaded to update cable box when i was in the store yesterday. I was given an X1 with remote, told to plug it in and follow onscreen prompts. Now i have the Error code XRE-00251. One phone tech has already spent an hour triying to activate the box. Despite being assured that a specialist tech would call with the hiur, I had to call them to be told - exact words-" no worries, a ticket has been issued already and it will take up to 72 hours for a tech to "fix the issue". Apparently this will all be done remotely and they will let me know if it has worked.
Aside from the hours of wasted time today trying to install a cable box, is it possible for them to fix things without me having to do anything on my end
______________

Yes, that code is a billing issue. It means it's not on your account properly. Just keep the box plugged in and connected to a live coax line.

If you haven't already, try 877-896-8678, you may get better results.

If you can't reduce the number of splitters you should get a tech out, your dvr is out spec and your modem is barely in spec.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Has anyone else been having trouble with (and found a solution to) watching the NHL playoffs as described in thist post? 


X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-iPad-App-NHL-Playoffs-only-play-audio-for-3-seconds-then/td-p/...

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@FUGCOMCST wrote:

Has anyone else been having trouble with (and found a solution to) watching the NHL playoffs as described in thist post? 


X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-iPad-App-NHL-Playoffs-only-play-audio-for-3-seconds-then/td-p/...


The app is working perfectly. I was able to tune into all hockey playoff channels on the app without fail. Is your app updated? Are you in an area that might have a blackout? ( possible)


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

I think your username is highly inappropriate and I just reported it to the moderators... I might be in a minority but I don't think it's funny...


@FUGCOMCST wrote:

Has anyone else been having trouble with (and found a solution to) watching the NHL playoffs as described in thist post? 


X1 TV iPad App: NHL Playoffs only play audio for 3 seconds, then mute (BLACKOUT?)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-iPad-App-NHL-Playoffs-only-play-audio-for-3-seconds-then/td-p/...





New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@CCAndrew wrote:

The app is working perfectly. I was able to tune into all hockey playoff channels on the app without fail. Is your app updated? Are you in an area that might have a blackout? ( possible)


I am in Chicago. I am also able to tune into the channels, but I lose audio after 3 seconds, only on NBCSports - every other non-hockey channel works correctly.

How can I tell if I'm being blacked out?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

What about CNBC( jets vs ducks) or whatever channel has the Blues vs Wild in your area ( fsn midwest for me)


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@CCAndrew wrote:

What about CNBC( jets vs ducks) or whatever channel has the Blues vs Wild in your area ( fsn midwest for me)


Even stranger on CNBC:

It plays for 3-4 seconds, then stutters, then reports this error message:

Playback Issue :: 106000
(-11800)
a native iOS error has occured. Most likely some fragments from the video stream are missing; our video team has been alerted and will work to fix it as quickly as possible.


Also, these issues don't occur on the non-hd versions of the channels.


Again - every other channel (HD included) plays just fine.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

After about three months of trouble-free X1 operations, having changed nothing, the picture started tiling. About half the time a restart seemed to help. Then resrats stopped helping. Today the picture tiled, then froze, and since a reboot goes through about 5 minutes of 'X1 Starting' and finally displays the (wonderful) 'Something's not quite right' message. After following the instructions to checking connections and unplugging, waiting, restarting, I get this message. Over and over. I guess the box finally bit it. But Comcast is closed Sunday

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Something has changed but it may not be within your house or under your control. Regardless your X1 is not working.

Tiling is a classic sign of poor incoming signal. The problem could be within your house, but it could also be the line in your yard or it could be blocks down the street from your house.

Call Comcast and insist they send a tech out to your house to check signals. I think you have a 95% chance your issues will NOT be fixed remotely. You need an on site tech.


@stevenwalton wrote:

After about three months of trouble-free X1 operations, having changed nothing, the picture started tiling. About half the time a restart seemed to help. Then resrats stopped helping. Today the picture tiled, then froze, and since a reboot goes through about 5 minutes of 'X1 Starting' and finally displays the (wonderful) 'Something's not quite right' message. After following the instructions to checking connections and unplugging, waiting, restarting, I get this message. Over and over. I guess the box finally bit it. But Comcast is closed Sunday





Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Bad weather sometimes seems to affect X1 performance.  We had a lot of rain recently in Houston, but our viewing wasn't affected.  But we have good cabling between our house and the Comcast headend (I guess that's what it's called).


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

My Arris X1 is still resetting to 720p each night even after the latest firmware, which a comcast employee claimed would fix the problem.

Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@egeek84 wrote:

My Arris X1 is still resetting to 720p each night even after the latest firmware, which a comcast employee claimed would fix the problem.


which firmware version is loaded (latest is relative).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@Rustyben wrote:

@egeek84 wrote:

My Arris X1 is still resetting to 720p each night even after the latest firmware, which a comcast employee claimed would fix the problem.


which firmware version is loaded (latest is relative).


MX011AN_2.0p15s1_PROD_HYBse

Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@egeek84 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@egeek84 wrote:

My Arris X1 is still resetting to 720p each night even after the latest firmware, which a comcast employee claimed would fix the problem.


which firmware version is loaded (latest is relative).


MX011AN_2.0p15s1_PROD_HYBse


bummers hate to hear it still isn't fixed (1080 to 720 overnight). fwiw the dark screen after you delete an asset after watching wasn't fixed with 2.0..p15 either.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

I've had the same issue and it doesn't happen for live TV or on demand just recordings
Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@egeek84 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@egeek84 wrote:

My Arris X1 is still resetting to 720p each night even after the latest firmware, which a comcast employee claimed would fix the problem.


which firmware version is loaded (latest is relative).


MX011AN_2.0p15s1_PROD_HYBse


FYI-

 

I have same FW but do NOT have the revert back to 720P on my Panasonic Plasma.... I DO have it on a smaller Sylvania LCD tv though which leads me to believe this is TV Specific and NOT FW specific....  something in the FW needs to address ALL tv brands....

 

-=Ray=-



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

geek,

 

My guess is it has something to do with being abie to handle EDID.  Maybe some TV's don't even have EDID and trying to program for ALL TV's is driving the Comcast programmers to try to come up with something that works for all.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Comcastchad keeps saying he is getting it fixed so thet dvr shows up on the app but so far not fixed.
Expert

Re: X1 Technical Issues

YEAH......

 

Forums back up and running....


-=Ray=-

"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic, & Comcast built X1....well, you get my meaning!!"



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

LOL Ray. Good one.
New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Chad, any updates on the reverting to 720p bug?  That is literally the only issue I have now and if you guys can fix it, I promise to never make another post again lol.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

UPDATE - My problem of my STB reverting back to 720p from 1080p when powering my TV off and on is FIXED!  After reading a ton on these forums, I decided that I must be having some sort of HDMI handshake problem.  I got the random idea last weekend that maybe my issue was that my STB was hooked up to my HDMI1 input, which happens to be MHL enabled.  I tried switching the cables between my Roku and and STB so that now the STB goes to my HDMI3 input (just a plain old regular HDMI input without MHL or ARC) and badda-bing, badda-boom, no more resetting to 720p!  It's been 5 days now so I'm very confident that my problem is fixed.  It's possible that it was actually the HDMI cable going to the HDMI1 input that was the problem, but I'm going to guess it was the MHL.  I'd like to know for sure, but it's not worth pulling the TV off the wall to switch the cables and find out since everything is working perfectly now.

 

I hope this leads others toward a potential solution!

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@Beancounter311 wrote:

UPDATE - My problem of my STB reverting back to 720p from 1080p when powering my TV off and on is FIXED!  After reading a ton on these forums, I decided that I must be having some sort of HDMI handshake problem.  I got the random idea last weekend that maybe my issue was that my STB was hooked up to my HDMI1 input, which happens to be MHL enabled.  I tried switching the cables between my Roku and and STB so that now the STB goes to my HDMI3 input (just a plain old regular HDMI input without MHL or ARC) and badda-bing, badda-boom, no more resetting to 720p!  It's been 5 days now so I'm very confident that my problem is fixed.  It's possible that it was actually the HDMI cable going to the HDMI1 input that was the problem, but I'm going to guess it was the MHL.  I'd like to know for sure, but it's not worth pulling the TV off the wall to switch the cables and find out since everything is working perfectly now.

 

I hope this leads others toward a potential solution!


Or maybe it could lead Comcast to a solution...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

I never even knew about this so I looked and TV is on 720 not 1080. As you mentioned I switched to HDMI3 it's still 780 when watching TV. Am I missing something?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@wcb555 wrote:
I never even knew about this so I looked and TV is on 720 not 1080. As you mentioned I switched to HDMI3 it's still 780 when watching TV. Am I missing something?

Did you go into Settings and change it to 1080P?


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

My lg settings don't have that option.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues


@wcb555 wrote:
My lg settings don't have that option.

Go to the X1's settings (gear icon) and change the video setting to 1080p.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

This worked for me. Hit exit three times on xfinity remote then press 1080. Worked in an lg and two samsungs. My xfinity remote has no gear. button.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Sorry found the on screen gear icon. Got it.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

 I want to pause live tv on my Xi3 and it is not working help!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Do you have the SD card (which should have come with it) installed?

If so, have you unplugged and rebooted the box?


@techgeek12 wrote:

 I want to pause live tv on my Xi3 and it is not working help!


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

I have done both

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Other than trying the box in a differnent location in the house, there may be little you can do other than swapping the box.

Maybe the SD card is bad or not properly formatted.

Did the pause ever work??


@techgeek12 wrote:

I have done both


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Nope

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Call Comcast. Either the box is bad or the SD card is bad.


@techgeek12 wrote:

Nope


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Having problems w/X1 the last 4 afternoons. Receiving RDK-3033 error message. After boxes reset, rebooted, deauthorized, reauthorized yesterday and 30 minutes after Technician visit this morning (who replaced modem) - problems again. So I call for another Technician visit and customer service wants to transfer me to sales so that I can pay for signal amplifiers! As if $200 isn't enough for Comcast services. Finally talked them into sending someone back tomorrow. Thinking this may be the time that I past ways with Comcast.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Part ways not past ways