Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Hopefully you realize that most people do not read a post like this. At least I don't.

Do everyone a favor and summarize it. What the heck is your point? What are you asking for help with?

Jdawg1 wrote:

ChatStatus Chat in progress. Close
user joe quinn has entered room

analyst Ram Angelo has entered room

Ram Angelo: Hello joe quinn _, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Ram Angelo. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Ram Angelo: Hi! Hope you are doing great today!

Ram Angelo: How may I help you with your cable TV?

joe quinn _: I tried automatically scheduling a PPV show to record but it never recorded. Do I have to physically tune to the channel for it to record properly? Or do I have to schedule a "manual channel" recording for the duration of the show, instead of letting it automatically record?,

joe and my name is joseph quinn

joe quinn _: and we have the x1 box as well

Ram Angelo: Joe, the reason why you cannot record PPV shows because DVR box is not able to record PPV shows.

joe quinn _: then why's the option there if you can't record them. and the x1 support site says you can record ppv events on the x1 box

joe quinn _: plup, I know someone who has x1 who's been able to record them

Ram Angelo: I do apologize Joe, X1 box are not able to record PPV shows, and sometimes, the network will allow you to record some PPV events.

Ram Angelo: But most of the time, the network will not allow you to record PPV shows,especially the popular shows.

joe quinn _: I presume that if an event isn't able to record, that that option just won't be available?

joe quinn _: i was trying to record the clean guys of commedy

Ram Angelo: I understand your point Joe, because sometimes, the network will allow you to record some PPV shows, reason why there's a record option.

joe quinn _: so then if it were able to record, would I have to tune to the channel physically, or would be able to record automatically?

Ram Angelo: It will be able to record automatically Joe.

joe quinn _: because the automatic. recording didn't will for the last 1 nights

joe quinn _: didn't work for the last 2 nights

joe quinn _: it scheduled fine but didn't record

Ram Angelo: I understand. It means, that the PPV shows are not available for recording.

Ram Angelo: Joe, Since we were able to determine the outage is causing the issue, may I please know if we were able to fully address your concern?

joe quinn _: so what then? I'm confused

Ram Angelo: Sorry for the typo Joe, I mean, since we determined that X1 box is not able to record PPV, may I please know if we were able to fully address your concern?

joe quinn _: yeah

Ram Angelo: Perfect!

Ram Angelo: I am glad that we have resolved your issue by providing the reason why you cannot record PPV shows.

Ram Angelo: Is there anything else I can be of help today? I would be glad to help you further.

Ram Angelo: You have opened a window for Comcast Support and I don't want to miss an opportunity to support you. Are we still connected?

Ram Angelo: Please let me know that we are still connected. Thank you.

joe quinn _: we are, but there's nothing else that I need help with

Ram Angelo: Alright Joe! It has been a priviledge chatting with you today, ! You enjoy the rest of the day! I am happy you contacted Comcast today!

Ram Angelo: If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us through Live Chat (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Comcast also offers great FAQ and Help forums located at http://www.Comcast.net to help you solve many issues on your own. You can also reach us through our Hotline.

Ram Angelo: We appreciate your business and value you as a customer! Thank you for patronizing and contacting Comcast! Bye for now.

Send
Regular Contributor

sorry for such a long post, but anyone have any idea why it wouldn't record? I think conf the option to record is there, the recording should have taken place. Fortunately I was not billed for either order so that's good.
Regular Contributor

Based on the fact that he just posted his name, address, and last 4 of soc to a forum, I'm guessing we finally have someone so mad at Comcast that they actually want to have their identity stolen.   (identity suicide?)

Regular Contributor

I ended up doing an addendum on the next post? Again, sorry. I did some intro text before the chat transcript but it didn't take for some reason.
Diamond Problem Solver

Jdawg, your post and ricks reply were both edited to remove personal info

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

that i didn't mean to do. great. wish I could delete the post
Regular Contributor

jk

I haven't tried recording pay per view, but what I got from the transcript is, Comcast has no idea which PPVs will or won't record (based on network restrictions), so they leave the record option there on all of them.  And I assume you won't know until the program starts if it's actually recording or not.

Regular Contributor

I've seen ppv events, such as ufc, that have no recording option available, so I just assumed this show would record, oh well... too bad though, but that's how they get all the money I guess.
Expert

@Jdawg1 wrote:
sorry for such a long post, but anyone have any idea why it wouldn't record? I think conf the option to record is there, the recording should have taken place. Fortunately I was not billed for either order so that's good.

interesting convo in the log. Is it PPV (actually paid) like on-demand? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

yes and I hit order only, instead of order and record, then I hit record, then it said each program in the time block would show up as individual shows on the dvr. Then i hit the option that said record ppv. I thought it worked only to wake up this morning and see it hadn't recorded. And I suppose tuning to the channel wouldn't have mattered? I assume when you record something that it'll tune to the channel by itself? I don't know how dvr's work.
Regular Visitor

I'm having a new problem with the my X1 DVR when connected to a Sony HD projection TV.  It had been working normally for about a year, and within the last 2 weeks it has been having a problem with the display.  First, when I turn on the TV in the afternoon, the display is "enlarged" such that when I click on the 'XFinity' button (to bring up the onscreen menu), it appears by the menu is off the screen so I can't see it.  If I turn off my X1 box, and then turn it back on it is "fixed".  I suspect this is something that is getting messed up when it does a nightly update (I had a similar problem when I first got my X1 box, and that was eventually resolved).  Anyway, this is a new problem and it's rather annoying to have to reset the box each day to watch TV.

Is this a known problem? 

Frequent Visitor

Video Resolution changing

I'm having an issue with my X1 box. It's an Arris XG1-A.

When I shut my TV down and later turn it on, it will usually default to 720P.  I can manually go to the settings menu and switch back to 1080P, but this is a hassle. Is there a way to lock the box in 1080P? 

The TV is a brand new Vizio P503UI 4K UltraHD.  I have tried several HDMI cables with the same results.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Video Resolution changing

This has been and still is an ongoing firmware issue. There is NOTHING you can do about it (unless you dump X1) until Comcast fixes it. That being said, I am sure they are aware...

The 1080i setting will probably "stick" and you won't see any difference...

If you need more info, read the threads about the "2.0 firmware"...

@The_Bishop wrote:

I'm having an issue with my X1 box. It's an Arris XG1-A.

When I shut my TV down and later turn it on, it will usually default to 720P.  I can manually go to the settings menu and switch back to 1080P, but this is a hassle. Is there a way to lock the box in 1080P? 

The TV is a brand new Vizio P503UI 4K UltraHD.  I have tried several HDMI cables with the same results.

Frequent Visitor

Well, the 1080i doesn't stick. Hopefully they fix this soon. It would be great to have an option to 'lock' the resolution.

Gold Problem Solver

This is all an HDMI "handshake" issue and every other company on God's green earth has this figured out...except for Comcast...

@The_Bishop wrote:

Well, the 1080i doesn't stick. Hopefully they fix this soon. It would be great to have an option to 'lock' the resolution.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Bad X1 Secondary Box Experience

I just upgraded to X1.  I am having the same issues that you were having - frequent hangups, sometimes the sound goes out and "connecting to server" issues.  It is hard to believe that the problem is signal issues whem the previous xfinity system has worked fine for years and nothing changed except the modem and boxes.

X1 does seem like it is very buggy beta software.  If this is as good as X1 gets, I want to go back to the old system.

Problem Solver

@bigdg wrote:

I just upgraded to X1.  I am having the same issues that you were having - frequent hangups, sometimes the sound goes out and "connecting to server" issues.  It is hard to believe that the problem is signal issues whem the previous xfinity system has worked fine for years and nothing changed except the modem and boxes.

X1 does seem like it is very buggy beta software.  If this is as good as X1 gets, I want to go back to the old system.

It could very well be signal issues, the X1 boxes have much tighter signal requirements as they have a cable modem (Internet) in them, and if the signal levels are not pristine you will have frequent lockups/slow remote/unable to connect issues. The old boxes didn't have this requirement. In many cases the TV outlets in your home will have much weaker signal than the outlet the Internet modem is on due to splits, cable length, etc.

Frequent Visitor

I had a cable modem before, triple play, the works.  It all worked fine.  Now I have X1 and many problems

Problem Solver

@bigdg wrote:

I had a cable modem before, triple play, the works.  It all worked fine.  Now I have X1 and many problems

Yes but that is meaningless unless the modem was using the same physical outlet as X1 is now.

New Poster

I appreciate the response to Lobsta. I have the same issues with my DVR, and the technician who installed it appeared very knowledgable and efficient, checking the signal at every outlet prior to the  installation.  There is an amplifier on the line, and yes, it is plugged securely into the outlet. 

The first problem was returning to Live TV after watching a recording. Called customer service and they were unable to connect to the device although it appeared that the problem was resolved while she was on the phone. I will be calling again soon as the extended delays switching between channels (if the channel EVER tunes in) is very annoying, as well as the delayed response to fast forward and play commands from the remote while watching a recording. I have been a TiVo user for over a decade so I know my DVR expectations are a little high, but trying to watch anything on this DVR gets on our nerves. We can stream the recordings to the other device without ANY problems, but unfortunately, that device is not in a room we can always watch TV. 

We are missing our TiVo right now...

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@JoeywitQ wrote:

I appreciate the response to Lobsta. I have the same issues with my DVR, and the technician who installed it appeared very knowledgable and efficient, checking the signal at every outlet prior to the  installation.  There is an amplifier on the line, and yes, it is plugged securely into the outlet. 

The first problem was returning to Live TV after watching a recording. Called customer service and they were unable to connect to the device although it appeared that the problem was resolved while she was on the phone. I will be calling again soon as the extended delays switching between channels (if the channel EVER tunes in) is very annoying, as well as the delayed response to fast forward and play commands from the remote while watching a recording. I have been a TiVo user for over a decade so I know my DVR expectations are a little high, but trying to watch anything on this DVR gets on our nerves. We can stream the recordings to the other device without ANY problems, but unfortunately, that device is not in a room we can always watch TV. 

We are missing our TiVo right now...

Try pairing your remote to the X1 - the instructions are on the back of the remote.  Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

Came home today and for some reason my dvr doesnt respond to anything. The remote light flashes on the dvr when i push a button but nothing happens. Eventually the dvr will process a few of the remote commands and freeze up again no responding to the remote
Gold Problem Solver

Your answer is contained in the post just above yours...

@Teckx wrote:
Came home today and for some reason my dvr doesnt respond to anything. The remote light flashes on the dvr when i push a button but nothing happens. Eventually the dvr will process a few of the remote commands and freeze up again no responding to the remote

Frequent Visitor

Ok so i have a splitter for my coax. Router and x1 dvr. All black channels. Remove splitter connect directly from wall to x1 and it works. Switched out the splitter and all black channels. Not sure what could have gone wrong overnight for this to happen. Now i dont have wifi but i have tv
Gold Problem Solver

Bad cables??? Try different ones.

Borderline signal quality when using the splitter is very possible. Make sure you are using a splitter with the fewest splits possible. You don't want to use a 4 way or 8 way if a 2 way is all you need. Every additional output costs 3.5db of signal.

Are you doing an X1 self install??? You many need to get a tech out.

@Teckx wrote:
Ok so i have a splitter for my coax. Router and x1 dvr. All black channels. Remove splitter connect directly from wall to x1 and it works. Switched out the splitter and all black channels. Not sure what could have gone wrong overnight for this to happen. Now i dont have wifi but i have tv

New Poster

Thank you. This has been a slight improvement. The device is a little more responsive, except when attempting to tune in regular (HD) channels after watching a recording. It still takes several MINUTES at times. 

Problem Solver

Is the box model number PX013AN?
Frequent Visitor

I attempted to switch out the splitter with another one i had and the same issue occured. internet and tv do not work with the splitter anymore. i have to go directly from the wall to the x1 dvr. Even when i went back to wall to dvr it didnt work 90% of the time

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry but you sounds like you may be in over your head here. I highly recommend you get a tech out.

Also, scjohnson has a very good point. If you have that model number of X1 DVR otherwise known as the "V3 Pace" (XG1-P with blue power light and no component outputs) your are going to want to swap that out for one of the other X1 DVR models.

@Teckx wrote:

I attempted to switch out the splitter with another one i had and the same issue occured. internet and tv do not work with the splitter anymore. i have to go directly from the wall to the x1 dvr. Even when i went back to wall to dvr it didnt work 90% of the time

Silver Problem Solver

@Teckx wrote:

Suggestion; reboot your gateway.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I found The box model is XG1-A. Not sure if im looking at the right model number though.

i have a tech coming out tommorrow the only problem is we are expecting a huge storm so i am unsure if the tech will be able to make it!

one thing i did notice when turning the dvr box to reset it. if i wait more than 5 minutes it usually connects and shows the tv, anything short of that and it times out establishing connection

Frequent Visitor

It has been said in this forum the 99% of issue are due to signal strength.  I did find that there is a way to test your signal strength.  I've tried to do this test numerous times at different times of the day and the response is always the the test can not be done at this time.  Is there any other way to test the signal strength, other than calling for a service call?

Thus far, I'm not impressed with X1.

Bronze Problem Solver

@bigdg wrote:

It has been said in this forum the 99% of issue are due to signal strength.  I did find that there is a way to test your signal strength.  I've tried to do this test numerous times at different times of the day and the response is always the the test can not be done at this time.  Is there any other way to test the signal strength, other than calling for a service call?

A quick search in the forum turned up this - http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/How-to-check-signal-strength/m-p/2015627/highlight/true#M8759

Expert

@bigdg wrote:

that 'test' is just an 'extra' and nothing to do with television (cable) reception of channels that you watch. The signal strength is only showing the internal DOCSIS modem's signal strength (the modem is used primarily for getting the menu and for the APPs.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Android Device Issues

Frequent Visitor

I picked up my xp1 box on the 4th they mentioned a servive guy would come out on sat and install a filter on the line in. , got home & hooked it up it up and got the rdk0300 error.
Chatted with tech support and he was able to get it going. Last night turned on TV same issue. I chatted with tech support this morning to get the service guy that was coming to make sure the everything was ok. Guess what I was told that was not possible. If the filter install did not resolve the issue call back and sechudle another service tech to come out. Well I get home and of course it's not working.
I am over Comcast
Gold Problem Solver

The filter won't solve this. Sorry but you need to get a tech out to your house.

@lgonzalez51 wrote:
I picked up my xp1 box on the 4th they mentioned a servive guy would come out on sat and install a filter on the line in. , got home & hooked it up it up and got the rdk0300 error.
Chatted with tech support and he was able to get it going. Last night turned on TV same issue. I chatted with tech support this morning to get the service guy that was coming to make sure the everything was ok. Guess what I was told that was not possible. If the filter install did not resolve the issue call back and sechudle another service tech to come out. Well I get home and of course it's not working.
I am over Comcast

Frequent Visitor

Why could he not look at it while he was sechudle to be here anyway today, knowing I had a problem , I called early am to notify them.
To tell a customer that is bs.

Diamond Problem Solver

I am over Comcast

What's the rdk error? You left off a number 0300... Did it ever work at that outlet? Is it a live outlet?Does it work if you put it where one of your DTAs are?

Diamond Problem Solver

Why could he not look at it while he was sechudle to be here anyway today, knowing I had a problem , I called early am to notify them.
To tell a customer that is bs.

It depends on how the service rep set up the job, some jobs ( like adding a filter) has no customer contact, just outside work.

Frequent Visitor

Audio problems on boxes accessing whole home DVR

I'm having an issue where my clients (not the main DVR box) are putting out a buzzing sound like the speakers are blown and they aren't.  I have a service ticket for this and was told it was a software issue.   Sure enough it was fixed.   That lasted a week or so, now the noise is back.   It seems to be the worse on my local ABC channel, but is slightly noticable on the other channels as well.    I'm assuming the software fix was reversed???   When should I expect this to be corrected?   At times, my additional televisions are almost useless as this noise can drive you crazy.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Audio problems on boxes accessing whole home DVR

Buzzing is rarely if ever a software issue. It is almost always a cable/connection issue. If the problem it happening on more than one client that virtually confirms it is a wiring/connection issue not a software/box issue.

Sorry but unless you can troubleshoot this yourself you are going to need to get another tech out...

@flafox67 wrote:
I'm having an issue where my clients (not the main DVR box) are putting out a buzzing sound like the speakers are blown and they aren't.  I have a service ticket for this and was told it was a software issue.   Sure enough it was fixed.   That lasted a week or so, now the noise is back.   It seems to be the worse on my local ABC channel, but is slightly noticable on the other channels as well.    I'm assuming the software fix was reversed???   When should I expect this to be corrected?   At times, my additional televisions are almost useless as this noise can drive you crazy.

Regular Visitor

i have a question: ever since we had an X1 box installed, the HDMI signal from the X1 box resets randomly. it may take a few seconds for it to resest, sometimes it takes more.

Rarely, it does not happen in a day, other days it occurs many times. i have done a lot of checking and testing, it only happens when the X1 box is connected. for example, my PS3 signal (into a different port into the sony amp) will be affected by this issue if the X1 box is connected. As soon as i disconnect the X1 hdmi cable to the back of the amp, the problem goes aways instantly. i feel it is something to do with the X1 signal coming from the HDMI cable. 

This is our 2nd X1 box since we started 8 months ago. The last box got worse and then eventually the signal stopped from the HDMI output of the X1 box. So they replaced it. and yes i have swapped and replaced HDMI cables, ports, bypassed amp, etc.

any thoughts?? this is driving us crazy.

Robert

Silver Problem Solver

You didn't say what TV you have.  I turned off AnyNet (HDMI-CEC) on my Samsung 3D LED TV to help with HDMI handshake issues.  Reading this thread may also help.  

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/m-p/2400405#U2400...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Buzzing is rarely if ever a software issue. It is almost always a cable/connection issue. If the problem it happening on more than one client that virtually confirms it is a wiring/connection issue not a software/box issue.

Sorry but unless you can troubleshoot this yourself you are going to need to get another tech out...

@flafox67 wrote:

This is almost always a ground issue or a difference in ground from your AV gear's power and the Comcast feed entering the home.  The ground block is the first place to start.  Let me know if you'd like help scheduling another visit to have the ground checked.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Frequent Visitor

I would tend to agree but my son who lives near me has the same issue with his X1.
Gold Problem Solver

The fact that your sons is buzzing is probably coincidental. It may or may not mean anything. Grounding can be a real issue especially if you happen to live in an older area. The cable line running up to your house from the box in the street needs to be grounded at some point. Ground connections can fail over time.

Like I said earlier, if you are not familiar with troubleshooting this sort of thing, call Comcast and get a tech out to your house.

@flafox67 wrote:
I would tend to agree but my son who lives near me has the same issue with his X1.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks! I'll turn in a support call tomorrow.
Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

I think the key is to not use any existing wiring in home. Have comcast run all new wires through walls from outside and test connection so you know they're good.