Community Forum

X1 TV and Ethernet

Frequent Visitor

X1 TV and Ethernet

I had the X1 system put in last week.  My main TV won't work with an Ethernet cable, but does with Wifi.  An Xfinity rep said it isn't ready for Ethernet yet and won't work until software is updated.  My install tech said it would work once I got the cable--but it doesn't.  Any insight here?

Official Employee

Re: X1 TV and Ethernet

wccc1 wrote:

I had the X1 system put in last week.  My main TV won't work with an Ethernet cable, but does with Wifi.  An Xfinity rep said it isn't ready for Ethernet yet and won't work until software is updated.  My install tech said it would work once I got the cable--but it doesn't.  Any insight here?

The X1 boxes have nothing to do with either an Ethernet or a wifi connection, you need a live cable signal at every location of an X1 box.

Valued Contributor

Even though there may be an Ethernet connection on the back of the box, it doesn't work.  The box gets all of it's signal over the coaxial connection.

Regular Contributor

And having an ethernet cable plugged into the box will actually make the box not work.  I've experienced this first hand.

Expert

from the set top box specs the ethernet port is designed (but turned off by comcast) to be an ethernet via MoCA output similar to having a range extender in your home that has its own ethernet (out) ports. Comcast has implemented DLNA VidiPath in the DVRs that require currently that a router ethernet port be used to connect a MoCa adapter so that the internet supplied by the 'modem' is put onto the coax. This will eventually allow for a direct feed from one of the customer's DVRs to local VidiPath certified devices via wifi or ethernet. 

wish comcast would simply enable the ethernet port on the x1 equipment so that a direct link can be made to devices like TVs or DVRs that currently use wifi. VidiPath equipment will be ethernet or wifi connected.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Silver Problem Solver

OP, are you referring to the TV itself? Like you can't get it online to access the TV's apps like netflix, hulu, etc, via an ethernet cable?

As others have started, the ethernet port on the Comcast cable boxes are turned off. If you're hooking it there, then hook it elsewhere, like a router or gateway. If you are already hooking it to a router or gateway, then you would likely need to refer to the help and support documents of the TV itself.

Frequent Visitor

By cable, I meant Ethernet cable.
Frequent Visitor

My understanding is my X1 box is the router and gateway and everything box. I have four Ethernet ports and one works happily with my phone. The only failure is Ethernet to tv as I used to do
Silver Problem Solver

X1 only works over coax.  Ethernet is for your Internet connection for your PC, or your TV if it has an ethernet connection.  But your TV can only get Comcast channels with your X1 box.  Your X1 box's ethernet port is disabled.

Does that answer your question?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

My understanding is my X1 box is the router and gateway and everything box. I have four Ethernet ports and one works happily with my phone. The only failure is Ethernet to tv as I used to do

You're confusing your gateway with an actual X1 box
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Frequent Visitor

Getting close, my tv has an HDMI cable that runs to the Xfinity box which is now fed by Wifi. I used to run Ethernet from the Xfinity router/gateway/modem to the Xfinity box just as I am trying to do now. The tech said I could -- but there seems to be some consensus that the port is shut off from Ethernet for tv--one of the four ports works for a phone link. Can it be turned on?
Official Employee

None of your boxes are fed by wifi, the boxes use Coax only as an input. That port on the cable box is disabled.
Frequent Visitor

Will, or can, the port that would be the ethernet connection to my living room TV system be turned on as it was before x1??

Regular Contributor

wccc1 wrote:

Will, or can, the port that would be the ethernet connection to my living room TV system be turned on as it was before x1??

Either you're not understanding what's been said, or we're not understanding you.  The X1 box (for the tv, not your internet gateway) get's it's internet connection through the coax (just like the gateway).  The ethernet port on the back is currently disabled, but could be enabled in a future firmware update to supply a wired ethernet connection to a tv or other device.  It will never have anything to do with supplying internet to the box.

Frequent Visitor

AHA!

"The ethernet port on the back is currently disabled, but could be enabled in a future firmware update to supply a wired ethernet connection to a tv or other device."

I HAVE NOW LEARNED:

1.  The ethernet connection I used before X1 is currently disabled through software.  At some future time I might want to use it when it is enabled.

2.  The wireless USB adapter the tech told me to plug into my BluRay is irrelevant--I just pulled it and still get Netflix.  He believed that it would replace the signal from the missing Ethernet cable.

3.  Anyone want a barely used Wireless USB adapter?

New Poster

I had the same problem trying to connect my non wi-fi LG blue ray player and my Pioneer VSX-60 AV receiver. For 7 days I've been trying to figure out why I wasn't able to get an I internet connection to either one. I happened to see the post by Comcast Andrew. Then it made sense why I couldn't update the firmware on my Pioneer receiver and my LG blue ray player.

So, I happened to find 2 Netgear 85 Mbs Powerline Network Adapter I had. I connected one of the 2 Adapters using an Ethernet CAT5 cable to my X1 router Ethernet connection and then I plugged that Adapter into my wall electrical outlet.  Then I connected the other Adapter into the wall electrical outlet and using another CAT5 cable I connected it to my LG blue-ray player. I was able to get an I internet connection and I was able to update my LG.

You can of course purchase a Powerline Network Adapter locally or online.

New Poster

Then why the heck did the agent that sold this thing to me tell me I could do it over Ethernet or Wi-Fi? I told him I have no coax running to my living room, only to the Gateway nothing else. They said it will work over Wi-Fi.
Official Employee

Sorry for the misinformation, Wherever you want the dvr, you’ll need coax or split the coax at the gateway

2 year old thread closed