Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

If the x1's live service is down it should let you watch your recorded programs. I should of stayed with my TiVo. If TiVo has a system outage at lest the recorded programs can be watched.

New Poster

I am blown away that this forum is the only place I found any info about tonight's problem with the X1. One would think they would postsome sort of announcement on their main website....or an announcement when calling customer service or using CS chat. No wonder I can't get through to a live person...nationwide X1 problem.
Frequent Visitor

I have been with Comcast since day 1 and triple play for 4 years now. Last month my internet was out more than it was up and getting through to a service rep was a 30 minute wait listening to a recording telling me how they valued my business. This month I have X1 and when it works it's cool but most of the time there is some glitches.

Tonight X1 died and the service center just hangs up on me. So I tried chat. Nobody will come on. This is just a big slap in the face to me, just pay your $300 a month and shut up and don't call us maybe we'll fix it maybe not, but we don't want you bothering us with your petty cable problems. I'm thinking of going to Centurylink and Netflix. I know they work and they are way cheaper.  

Regular Visitor

I'm in Seattle area same exact problem. Anyone know anything?
Regular Contributor

Pretty pathetic that they don't at least have some sort of recording when you call. I was watching the A's-Tigers and the game went out in the 9th inning.

Imagine if this nonsense happened in the middle of the Super Bowl!!! Comcast would lose thousands if not millions of customers the next day.

New Poster

Bad night for Comcast...service centers will probably be packed tomorrkw....everywhere!
New Poster

I wish there was an update, but, it's impossible to get anyone on the 24 hour customer service line...no response jsing chat either.
Frequent Visitor

I am in Boston area - was watching TBS postgame and then when I hit Xfinity button lost everything - website is reporting a TV outage in my area

XFINITY® TV

A service outage has been reported in your area.

I have had it

Regular Contributor

Perhaps it's time for a government-forced recall of X1. Oops, I forgot, the government is closed too. Is it possible also that Comcast phone operators were part of the shutdown as well since no one is answering.

Seriously, though, this is ridiculous. I like X1, but the product has so many bugs it's pathetic. Time for to either fix it so it works or recall it. I'm waiting for someone to file a class action suit if this stuff continues.

Frequent Visitor

3:20 AM  Service restored in Boston

Problem Solver

It's 2;30 am in the Chicago suburbs.  The lights on the box which were blinking for hours have stopped, but now on my TV I'm looking at a blank screen with the words "XFINITY" in the upper left hand corner.  The box hasn't worked for hours.

My wife is seriously going to kill me for switching to X1.  Can I sue Comcast for the cost of a divorce lawyer?

Frequent Visitor

3:40 AM - My box died again

It seems to be nationwide

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/05/comcast-x1-outage/

New Poster

Anyone else also lose all there account info when they logged in to check their account?

It looks like everything has been wiped out on my account including auto pay and it shows I have no equiptment ???

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Red Light

Woke up this morning to find the red light off.  Programmed 2 programs to record tonight and the red light immediately came on again lol. Maybe they think it means that a program is scheduled to be recorded, not that one is being recorded.

Regular Contributor

Anyone calling Comcast to complain about the outage and demanding credits???

Regular Contributor

Also have to complain about the fact that we wer ebeing hung up on as no one there to answer our calls. At the price we pay, there should be plenty of people in customer service all the time. They claim 24/7...which is obviously BS.

New Poster

Is there such a thing as voice command with the new xfinity1 system. I can't find out how to do it with the remote
Regular Contributor

Jill, you need the Xfinity app on your cell phone...Just understand it doesn't work half the time.

Regular Contributor

Just talked to someone from Comcast in chat. They said to call 1-800-934-6489 during Business hours, that's from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. I will be demanding credits for myself and everyone nationally who owns an X1 box. They promise 24/7 customer service. That was not the case last night.

We should not be paying for beta testing their equipment. I’ve beta tested software and hardware before for computers. You get it for free. My cable bill isn't free.

Diamond Problem Solver

Just talked to someone from Comcast in chat. They said to call 1-800-934-6489 during Business hours, that's from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. I will be demanding credits for myself and everyone nationally who owns an X1 box. They promise 24/7 customer service. That was not the case last night.
----------------------
Did you really think during a national outage you were going to be able to talk to someone? And have them answer on the first ring?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Live in town just south of Boston, am brand new to X1 (installed yesterday). Virtually everything I've needed to know I had to find online, scouring forums. To wit:

Box stays on all the time:  Tech told me to just always leave it on. Ok, frankly I don't care. I see all over the place different reasons; such as - there are updates in the wee hours that won't happen is box is off. Also found a guide for my remote (x2 u2) that said Comcast changed the remotes so they won't turn off the box because of occasional glitches involved with the 'all power' button (this is apparently a temporary solution).

*Red light stays on when a recording is over:   Annoying, but not a big deal. Already discovered that simply programming a new recording & immediately canceling it will make red light go out.

*My x2 u2 remote will turn on/off both box & tv,   however, it will not control power for my Yamaha receiver (I've seen countless posts about this also). It will turn the Yamaha volume up & down & mute .. so that's something. 

*Pretty annoying that in settings for DVR recordings, you can only extend a program (not talking about live programs) by 1,3 or 5 minutes which is just silly. My wife loves the Mentalist and she tells me that show is always pushed way back by Sunday sports events. I saw someone else post that she could extend recordings much longer by doing so online.  I will tell my wife about this  ....

*Yes, my settings also show my remote battery level as 5% and almost empty (new batteries) .. yet I found in the online remote guide (NOT the one given to me by tech) that you can check your battery level by pressing & holding the 'Setup' button followed by '999' and the number of blinks tells you how charged your batteries are (I got 4 blinks = excellent).  Also, the guide I got from tech was wrong for my remote .. had to find guide online to even discover that my remote could control my audio device at all .. and to find codes for Yamaha.

* Was supposed to get satellite box in our bedroom at same time, but tech appeared shocked that we were not already wired to that room .. said he could not "drill" that he was not authorized .. so now I will need to reschedule to get someone out to do that job. I see that pausing / rewinding in sat. rooms is not possible? I also see people posting that one way around that is to just record program being watched in sat. room. I specifically asked tech about that while he was at my house, he assured me sat. boxes will do ALL the same things as hub box but record ..

New Poster

Thank you.  That's what I was going to start doing. Wish my tech had been nice enough to tell me that.  

Contributor

With X1, every time you turn on your TV you have no idea what to expect (xfinity and beyond).

Woke up this morning and discovered an entirely new X1 platform. From what I can see, the new viewing experience is far worse than the one it replaced.

Unfortunately, on my SD TV, I can only see a tiny fraction of my guide, my recordings, my settings, etc.  I have tried all manner of resetting.  At the moment it's virtually unusable. 

If you select "settings" from the menu while a DVR program is displayed, the video behaves like an old-fashioned vinyl record with a scratch.  The same blip repeats over and over again.

I am not someone who often posts to any online forums.  But my experience with X1 has compelled me to find an outlet to share my frustrations with other Comcast customers.

New Poster

Why would they not at least put a message on their website and phone line informing of the issue. This is ridiculous

Contributor

In the past when I've had difficulty contacting Comcast either because:

1. they didn't answer their support phone line, or
  2. the wait was excrutiatingly long, or
  3. the response from their technical support staff was worthless

I sought out a way to send them an email.  Finding an email address I could send something to was a non-trivial challenge.  I have had success sending email to "comcast cares" <comcast_cares@comcast.com>.  I got a phone call back from a local customer service representative a few days later.

Frequent Visitor

^^^

Thats very nice of them. They provide an email because 'they care'. But it takes 'days' to get a response. Lol.

Im taking all my x1 boxes back to the store today. Comcast is a disgrace.

Ive documented my last month of interaction with Comcast. I will be forwarding it to the FCC, DOJ, and congressmen/senators. You all should do the same. Comcast does not care.

Best of luck for all who continue on their quest for X-1 perfection.
Frequent Visitor

I'll make sure to ask for an evo no loss amp, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm going to try online chat and let them know to tell the tech to bring one.

In Seattle and had the same outage last night.  Big time.  DVR took a dump around 730PM and the bedroom terminal was toast an hour or so later when we tried it.  Multiple reboots, all we had on the terminal was green and yellow on and red blinking.  I really hate paying tons of money to be a BETA tester for Comcast...

It also makes it really hard to troubleshoot my low signal problems when they have outages.  I never know if it is my low signal causing issues or the X1 cloud.  Here is my working theory (let me know if I am crazy):  my boxes seem fine during the day but at night they freeze and on reboot only come back to a blinking red light or error message.  Sometimes they come back around 9PM-930PM but not very often.  When I wake up the next morning they seem fine again.  I was thinking 8PM is prime time where everyone in the neighborehood is watching TV clogging up the small upstream bandwidth.  Since I have a weak upstream signal the X1 box must need a certain amount of bandwidth just to function, and with my weak signal it can't compete with my neighbors.  Any truth to any of that?

Thanks!!

Problem Solver

@Jill22 wrote:
Is there such a thing as voice command with the new xfinity1 system. I can't find out how to do it with the remote

you have to have a app on your phone and hear from that

Frequent Visitor

I know many of you have asked for this and it seems yet again Comcast has no clue.

A little searching by my wife, in an effort to talk me into to keeping these things they call cable boxes, found this list for AVR codes.

Hope this helps !

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/Setup_Codes_for_Audio_Device...

Frequent Visitor

Does anyone know why the On Demand screen items has been "supersized"? The guide, the channel list,the option to delete a program is now missing. The delete option no longer shows up after the DVR comes to the end of the recording. Power on and off has been done several times. Nothing changes. Now I just read that there was a problem with X1. My equipment is plugged into a UPS surge protector. The UPS has a power on/off button. The DVR space of watched programs needs to be deleted so space can be there for new programs.

Thanks

Frances 

Frequent Visitor

Just had my old comcast DVR swapped out for an X1 yesterday, so I'm new to the X1.

I've tried to use Xfinity MyDVR to schedule recordings for it. After a day none of the selections have hit the X1, though MyDVR does see what I manually scheduled on the X1. MyDVR saya it will send the selections the next time the dvr connects, but it hasn't.

Next question. Is there any way to stream recorded content to a tablet, PC, or phone FROM the X1. I'm not talking about On Demand or HBO directly from the source. 

Is there some way to make use of the ethernet jack, either for streaming or for a remote control over wifi?

Frequent Visitor

All I get isGuide Saved On Demand headings. I did get to the list that starts with Device settings and scrolled down to about.

XRE Server Version: 1.31.10 (B

The rest of the info is off screen and cannot be seen.

Under herlp it says X1 Platfor Introducti

Something is cutting off the information to the right.

This was not a problem earlier.

Exiting out of On Deand and the picture is 1.5 inches wide.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks

Frances

New Poster

Re: X1

Dont get this piece of garbage, it SUCKS

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1

lol......... totally ........ today was household number 14 I talked ouit of the x-1 package and comcast.

I guess at this point the less who sign up the less they have to be worried about complaining. .......

Oh the irony..............

New Poster

Yes I am demanding a credit.  The credit currently offered to me as of this evening is the "time that my service was unavailble". Given that Comast still shows my services as unavailble, which is not at all correct, I have requested a minimum credit to compensate for the lack of customer support when needed and the inability to clearly define when my service(s) were not available.

New Poster

They didn't answer at all. I was on hold for over 2 hours. That is unacceptable and not the service level promised... and what we all pay for. 

New Poster

Agreed! Why not let your customers be aware there are issues and it may take hours to solve rather than the obnoxious "refresh" option?

Frequent Visitor

Since last nights "update", our guide has been completely unusable on our SD TVs. It's enlarged and goes off the screen. When you close out (after pressing Exit TWICE), the picture is a fraction of the size its supposed to be. I've done several reboots of the boxes and router -- Nothing!

Frequent Visitor

Sorry to hear that you are having that problem. I thought I was the only one,since I did not see anything on it.

Frequent Visitor

Am now 2 days into having the X1. I posted a couple of days back about some of the smaller bugs (ie, not being able to add more than 5 mins to non-live DVR recordings).

I have been (and will continue) to leave the box on 24/7.

I have had none of the problems I see here (knock on wood) re: loss of picture, screwed up guide, etc.

I am very pleased overall with the excellent (even improved) picture quality on our 1080p Sony Bravia, I like the new guide, menus, apps, etc .. big improvement over our old box. I like the fast forward, rewind, pause, etc .. much more responsive & cleaner. Love the new RF remote that does not have to be pointed at the box; also like the screen-saver stuff that comes up when pausing a program for more than a couple of minutes.

I know 2 days is a small sample size, but I am very pleased with the product. Our Comcast tech did arrive within the 2 hour window (they offer a $20 credit if they don't, correct?), and the install was less than 30 minutes. My only complaint is that he was unprepared to wire a satellite box to a 2nd tv and I will have to reschedule that. My experience on the phone scheduling the X1 install was very satisfactory as well, though I have had some rough experiences in years past...

New Poster

If I could get in touch with anyone from Comcast I would cancel.  On hold for 99 minutes !  Then the girl told me no one is there to answer the phones on Sat !  Are you kidding !   Never saw more untrained unprofessional, ignorant people in my life.

Contributor

I'm having the same problem on my SD TV.  My HDTV works fine.  But on my SD TV I can't navigate the menus to do the simplest tasks.

Regular Contributor

X1 is the best thing since sliced bread.  Love it.  I'm addicted to it. Can't wait for X2. 

Frequent Visitor

They tried to credit me for only the time I was out of service, one day. I asked for more and got the original amount tripled.

Here is another tip. Always use the online chat. When you are done, print the text or save it as a PDF. That way you have everything in writing. You might have to copy and paste the transcript because , at least for me, the print option did not work. Go figure....

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Red Light [ New ]
‎10-06-2013 01:46 AM

Yes I am demanding a credit. The credit currently offered to me as of this evening is the "time that my service was unavailble". Given that Comast still shows my services as unavailble, which is not at all correct, I have requested a minimum credit to compensate for the lack of customer support when needed and the inability to clearly define when my service(s) were not available.
Frequent Visitor

X1 is HORRIBLE.  Comcast is HORRENDOUS!  Have to "recycle" or "reboot" by box every time I shut the tv off.  How's that for service?  Try to tell someone about that and that is the part that really will send you over the edge.  Can't call them, I gave up after being on hold for 30 minutes.  Can't email them.  Can't chat with them.  Comcast could care less about it's customers.  It's a crime they take money out of my account for this service.  Time to call AT&T!

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment/ SDTV not working with X1 now

Since the outage I can not get cable through my VCR/DVD player... SD TV is not working on X1 now...... WHY????? What do we do?  Put it back so we can use the VCR/DVD player with the TV and X1.........

Valued Contributor

That list is fine as long as your "Audio Device" is an amp or receiver, but if you have a DVD Player/Receiver as I do, you are out of luck, because 2xxxx series codes are required to control it.  The codes that you listed are all 3xxxx series.

Frequent Visitor

Well, it happens every other day and again tonight. We wanted to watch football so we scheduled a number of programs to be recorded such as Homeland and Boardwalk. Although they all show up as scheduled, none of them recorded. As I posted on 10-4, about every other day, we don't get everything we schedule. We are about to throw in the towel with Comcast X1 and maybe Comcast overall. I have to admit we have had the previous whole house DVR service for a  number of years and have been very happy with the service. When they offered us the X1 upgrade we jumped at it and the problems we have like everyone else were tolerable until most recently when we keep losing all these recordings.

NOTE: A new revelation that doesn't appear on this thread can be found if you click on the "message listing" note at the bottom of this page and it will take you to a long list of individual threads with some from Comcast moderators. Scroll way down on this new page until you see a thread titled "X1 suspended". Apparently as of 10-5, people are reporting that Comcast is not selling X1 any more for the time being. Are they finally admitting that this is a totally flawed system not ready for prime time?

I have a very good lawyer friend who would love to initiate a class action suit. Getting close to doing that unless Comcast gets their act together. Those of us who are beta testing should get a special rebate for our aggravation.

Regular Contributor

Just called and demanded credit for the national outage that occurred Friday night. Told the girl that Comcast needs to fix this X1 service and fast. Told her no one was home when calling in either. She tried to tell me tech support is there 24/7. I told it was like they all went home.

Also told her that if this had happened during the middle of the day when a major event was on TV (Super Bowl, NFL football, NCAA championship game etc.) that Comcast would have hundreds of thousands of people cancelling their service today and that she might be out of a job when that happens.

She gave me the credit and told me that she would inform her supervisor of the growing dissent with X1.

The more people that call and tell them the same thing, the faster Comcast will fix this. Call and get your credit right away.

Frequent Visitor

I went on online chat Saturday morning telling them I wanted to make sure the tech was going to bring an EVO no-gain amp with him, and to request a credit for outages for the past week including Friday night.  They said yes the tech would bring the amp and offered $5.   I said my service was out for 25% of my billing period they need to offer at least 25% off my bill, to which they said they will have to research, so we'll see what happens.

The tech came out and had never heard of the EVO amp.  He had some other splitters which got my numbers up a bit more but upstream on my terminals is still around 51 (ugh).  He looked up the no-loss amp and said they are very new and they have to make a special request to the warehouse.  So far our terminals are doing ok but we'll see this week.  If there are more issues I get to make yet another call for support and ask for the amp.  If that doesn't solve it I told the tech I'm dumping X1 and going back to DirecTV...