Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Anyroom DVR in Chicagoland

Sounds like the installer may not be worth his salt. I've been on a similar (business) install, where the signal was too hot (it was literally across the street from a neighborhood node) and the installer simply put the correct filter on outside.

Frequent Visitor

Why does the led powerlight stay on after I turn power off? On the X1

Why does the led powerlight on the new X1 stay on after I turn power off and how much power does it use? I know I can turn it off but I'm in bed an disabled and a person I can't say no to tells me I have to turn it off on the box and thus the above question.

thanks,

New X1 user

Contributor

Re: Why does the led powerlight stay on after I turn power off? On the X1

The power light does not turn off because that function is disabled. To turn it off you have to push the green power button on the unit. It can be turned off remotely with the device settings.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

@mars21 wrote:

I've had my X1 for about two weeks.  I have two DVR's that I intended to operate independantly.  I must have one of the newer boxes because they have operated flawlessly.  Fast response with no fan noise.  It seems that whatever complaints I might have are more software related.

• Inability to advance the guide by day or date.
  • Loss of 30 second skip function as in older system.
  • Inability to isolate boxes so that they don't all read each others DVR's. (Should be optional in set up)
  • Auto channel does not work.
  • Where is the voice command that has been advertised so vigorously?
  • Does not remember filter functions in the guide so that each time I turn on the TV I have to recall.

Thanks, mars21 for your feedback. I've shared your feedback with the product management team. Few additional comments

If you download the X1 remote (supported by iOS), you can use the voice command functionality. 

At this time, Filters are "sticky" for 4 hours by design. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Anyroom DVR in Chicagoland

@ElliottSmith75 wrote:

I have an installer here right now telling me my up stream is too high on my two non-main DVR boxes.  He is saying I need to call an electrician myself and pay for him to install new wiring.  The DVR option is not even showing up on the screen on my two non-main boxes.  Everything else works fine, including On Demand.  This guy has no clue and is just coming up with a reason so he can leave.  I know it is new, and he told me he hardly knows anything about this system and that someone else told him the up stream was the problem, but I personally think it is a software issue with the small boxes or maybe my switch is not flipped at Comcast HQ or something.

Please help.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem?  I have seen other posts about this so I know I am not the only one.

New Poster

X1 DVR Cable Box using HDMI cable is NOT sending audio to TV

Wanted to know if anyone has experienced this problem.  I just had X1 Triple Play Service installed and the Tech couldn't get the HDMI output on the box to work for the audio portion, video works.  My TV works fine with other components that use the HDMI (Blue Ray Player).  To solve the problem, they just connected the cable box and ty using the component video/composite audio cable connection.  I understand the the HDMI is the best quality connection for HD.  The Tech tried 4 other cable boxes and 2 wouldn't load/start up initially, the 3 and 4 boxes (4 one is the one installed now) will only allow video only using the HDMI.  Should I demand they find a cable box that the HDMI works 100% (Both video and audio)?

Contributor

Re: X1 DVR Cable Box using HDMI cable is NOT sending audio to TV

Wanted to know if anyone has experienced this problem.  I just had X1 Triple Play Service installed and the Tech couldn't get the HDMI output on the box to work for the audio portion, video works.  My TV works fine with other components that use the HDMI (Blue Ray Player).  To solve the problem, they just connected the cable box and ty using the component video/composite audio cable connection.  I understand the the HDMI is the best quality connection for HD.  The Tech tried 4 other cable boxes and 2 wouldn't load/start up initially, the 3 and 4 boxes (4 one is the one installed now) will only allow video only using the HDMI.  Should I demand they find a cable box that the HDMI works 100% (Both video and audio)?

If you're connecting directly to your TV, you need to make sure HDMI audio is turned on for the HDMI input you used. 

Problem Solver

Re: Why does the led powerlight stay on after I turn power off? On the X1

@rainbow_trout wrote:

Why does the led powerlight on the new X1 stay on after I turn power off and how much power does it use? I know I can turn it off but I'm in bed an disabled and a person I can't say no to tells me I have to turn it off on the box and thus the above question.

thanks,

New X1 user

It was a change that Comcast made in one of the fairly recent updates for the X1 box, mostly to simply usability.  The box uses about the same amount of power when its on or "off" (and the fan remains working the same way in either state), so there's not much of a difference when it comes to that.

Regular Contributor

I would like my two X1 DVRs to operate indepenantly.  I have received a different answer every time I call Comcast.

• Need a filter
  • Need to have Comcast to turn off this feature
  • Need to have a new billing code entered by the billing department.
  • Can't be done

What is the right answer?  Two agents have promised return calls that never happen.

Problem Solver

@mars21 wrote:

I would like my two X1 DVRs to operate indepenantly.  I have received a different answer every time I call Comcast.

• Need a filter
  • Can't be done

What is the right answer?  Two agents have promised return calls that never happen.

Pretty sure the main thing you need is not to have the AnyRoom DVR service--as long as you don't have it on your account (or get it removed if you do have it) then you won't have your cable boxes see each other.

Regular Contributor

@mars21 wrote:

• Need a filter
  • Can't be done

And I'd like mine to operate together, but everyone I have talked to at Comcast keeps telling me it cannot be done.  Still waiting for a call back to on that - been about two weeks now...Awesome, right?

Regular Contributor

For some of us new adopters of X1 for whom "Watch In AnyRoom" was not yet an available feature, it's a train wreck trying to get this feature turned on.

It's taken me weeks to get it on.

Everyone has a different answer. From, it's not avaliable in your area yet, you don't have the right billing codes, all your equipment needs to be replaced, to the planets aren't aligned correctly. Smiley Wink

It reflects terribly on Comcast's customer service. Most customers would give up after the first phone call or two. I made at least 20. Hours on the phone. People even from Tier 2/National Support gave me a ticket number, promised to call back and never did.

I don't understand how a business can be run like this.  

Tags (1)
New Poster

We just installed the new x1 cable boxes (dvr and a non-dvr model) at our home and generally like the service. We have already trained our brains to work the new remote and get comfortable with the new cable guide user interface.

Only question is, how do you dim the clock display or power buttons? They are pretty bright......especially the clock display and power button on the new x1 dvr. 

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Contributor

New Dual HDMI port X1 customer (3 boxes; issues seen on 4 X1 boxes)

Hello,

Today Comcast "upgraded" to the X1 box from the grey DVR box, as after trying 12 grey boxes they couldn't solve my TV Guide issue (took 10 to 13 days to completely load).  The gudie works GREAT!!!  NO issues with the guide.

I do have two issues with the X1 and two questions.  Hopefully someone can help me with one or all of these issues & questions.

1) The installer could not get the dual HDML ports to work with any of our televisions.  He tried 4 different X1 boxes and 10 or so HDMI cables.  We have 3 televisons and two of them are 3D.  The 3D HDTV are by Sony and Vizio.  In the end he installed the unit using composite cables, which isn't the same quality as HDMI, see issue #2, too.

The installer felt this was an acceptable fix as I was able to get to the TV channels, Guide, etc.  Of course, I forgot to mention the 3D, as I was simply tired from his long visit (3 or 4 hours).

2) The X1 is suppose to supoort 3D, but I can't get any of the 3D channels or OnDemand to work.  They worked 100% YESTERDAY with grey boxes and have been working fine with Comcast for over a year.  I'm told by both 3D HDTV I'm getting a 2D signal from the X1 box, which does make sense given issue #1 and the fix provided by the installer.

3) Request / Questions:  On the Grey Remotes I was able to program them to do two things and can't figure out how to do the same on the XR2 remote:

3A) Control volume of the DVR and not the TV unit.  I have two TVs connected to my X1.  One is my Sony 3D HDTV and the other is a Dell U3011.  The Dell U3011 has a manual volume control for its sound and thus a remote won't help.  The best way to control its volume or to MUTE is to do it via the input device (in this case the X1).  If no, anyone know how to ask the developers to ADD this FEATURE?

3 30-second skip ahead button.  On the grey remote I programmed the help button to skip ahead 30 seconds at a time.  I found the instructions to do this on a Comcast forum, no less.  I can't find out how to do the 30-second ski ahead with the XR2.  Anyone know how to do it?  If no, anyone know how to ask the developers to ADD this FEATURE?

Thank you so very much! :-)

Bert.

New Poster

User Guide for new X1 box and new remote?

Just got old comcast boxes upgraded to the X1 platform including the newer remote.  Struggling to figure it out.  Is there a user guide for box and remote that is more comprehensive than the little 13 page mini guide the tech left me?

The older set up had an option where you could advance the guide by 12 hour increments pushing a certain button on the old remote when looking for a show scheduled a few days from now.  Example: looking for a show that will be on on channel xx at 10 PM.  I don't want to have to search the shows title because I'm not sure what it is called but I would recognize it when I'll see it.

Anyway - a detailed guide would help!  Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

The remote's All Power button will turn off the TV but not X1 Box .

How much would it cost to run a green LED for a year as it only uses microamps and millivolts to operate, without a resistor, if needed, maybe <$5.00 or less..Do you have any idea? I'm just guessing. 

Tags (1)
New Poster

TV channel logos but no picture:(

So I have all my apps working on my X1 boxes, and all of my menus work but when I select a channel to watch, all I get is the logo of the channel on the screen.  There is no sound, but I do get the progress bar at the bottom.  After I watch the screen with the logo on it for awhile the screen saver pops up and I get my traffic updates along with the sports updates but I can't get a picture to actually watch.  I have been extremely happy with the personal customer service that I've been recieving but that isn't getting me TV any quicker unfortunately.  The techs so far haven't been able to figure out what is going on.  I've talked to 2 different ones and been through all of their trouble shooting steps but with no success.  ANY IDEAS?

Frequent Visitor

X1

When will x1 be available for Indianapolis?

Regular Contributor

I would assume thatis the right answer.  The prob;em I'm having is finding someone to do that.  On my fifth call now.

New Poster

X1 Platform

The X1 platform was installed in our residence Saturday July 6. We are very disappointed with the features provided with this new system and specially with the features that we liked that have disappeared. We also have real problems with reading the program overviews when hitting the "Xfinity" button. The letters are very small, black and white and difficult to read. What happened to the colors for the different types of programs? We liked our previous Guide and program schedules much better. If that cannot be adjusted sometime soon we may have to back to the old system. We are not happy with the X1 platform in its current design and would like to know what can be done and when.
Regular Contributor

Re: User Guide for new X1 box and new remote?

There is no comprehensive guide.  There is a downloadable guide but it is of little help.  The probelm is that noone really knows all the answers.  As far as advancing the guide, it is currently not available but seems to be the number one complaint.  Look for future updates.  For other features trial and error seems to be the best approach for now.

Regular Visitor

X1 favorite list

I have a DVR in one room and a HAD receiver in another room and there both the X1 platform

and when I set up the favorite channels on one, I see on both, how can I seperate them so that we both have a favorit list

New Poster

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

Hi, Ted! Any update for X1 rollout schedule in Alexandria, VA 22314?

Thanks in advance!

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Platform

@DutchJack wrote:
The X1 platform was installed in our residence Saturday July 6. We are very disappointed with the features provided with this new system and specially with the features that we liked that have disappeared. We also have real problems with reading the program overviews when hitting the "Xfinity" button. The letters are very small, black and white and difficult to read. What happened to the colors for the different types of programs? We liked our previous Guide and program schedules much better. If that cannot be adjusted sometime soon we may have to back to the old system. We are not happy with the X1 platform in its current design and would like to know what can be done and when.

Thanks for your comments, DutchJack. You can change the guide front size throught Settings -> Preferences -> General. 

The X1 team continues to improve the designs and experiences. I've shared your feedback with the team. 

Regular Contributor

@mars21 wrote:

• Need a filter
  • Can't be done

mars21 - I am going to send you a PM to gather account  info / more information on what you are looking to do. thanks

Regular Visitor

Thats what I want also I spent 2 hours on phone today talking about this issue,some said it could be done and others said no,I don't understand why you can't have a favorite list for each unit

Valued Contributor

Re: New Dual HDMI port X1 customer (3 boxes; issues seen on 4 X1 boxes)

A few things BMoshier, it's HDMI not HDML, a composite cable is yellow where as component cables use a green, blue, and red cable (and thus will give you high definition picture) which one is being used?  If you are using a composite yellow cable (which is the worst of the worst connection) then no you will not be able to view any 3D content until a component or HDMI cable is used. 

Problem Solver

@hockeyman29 wrote:

We just installed the new x1 cable boxes (dvr and a non-dvr model) at our home and generally like the service. We have already trained our brains to work the new remote and get comfortable with the new cable guide user interface.

Only question is, how do you dim the clock display or power buttons? They are pretty bright......especially the clock display and power button on the new x1 dvr. 

Thanks,

You should be able to dim them if you go into settings (the gear icon when you press the XFINITY button to get the main menu) and then look in the section for device settings (I believe it's the first one), there should be an item for lights there where you can set their intensity (or even turn them off completely).

Problem Solver

Re: New Dual HDMI port X1 customer (3 boxes; issues seen on 4 X1 boxes)

@BMoshier wrote:

Hello,

Today Comcast "upgraded" to the X1 box from the grey DVR box, as after trying 12 grey boxes they couldn't solve my TV Guide issue (took 10 to 13 days to completely load).  The gudie works GREAT!!!  NO issues with the guide.

I do have two issues with the X1 and two questions.  Hopefully someone can help me with one or all of these issues & questions.

1) The installer could not get the dual HDML ports to work with any of our televisions.  He tried 4 different X1 boxes and 10 or so HDMI cables.  We have 3 televisons and two of them are 3D.  The 3D HDTV are by Sony and Vizio.  In the end he installed the unit using composite cables, which isn't the same quality as HDMI, see issue #2, too.

The installer felt this was an acceptable fix as I was able to get to the TV channels, Guide, etc.  Of course, I forgot to mention the 3D, as I was simply tired from his long visit (3 or 4 hours).

2) The X1 is suppose to supoort 3D, but I can't get any of the 3D channels or OnDemand to work.  They worked 100% YESTERDAY with grey boxes and have been working fine with Comcast for over a year.  I'm told by both 3D HDTV I'm getting a 2D signal from the X1 box, which does make sense given issue #1 and the fix provided by the installer.

3) Request / Questions:  On the Grey Remotes I was able to program them to do two things and can't figure out how to do the same on the XR2 remote:

3A) Control volume of the DVR and not the TV unit.  I have two TVs connected to my X1.  One is my Sony 3D HDTV and the other is a Dell U3011.  The Dell U3011 has a manual volume control for its sound and thus a remote won't help.  The best way to control its volume or to MUTE is to do it via the input device (in this case the X1).  If no, anyone know how to ask the developers to ADD this FEATURE?

3 30-second skip ahead button.  On the grey remote I programmed the help button to skip ahead 30 seconds at a time.  I found the instructions to do this on a Comcast forum, no less.  I can't find out how to do the 30-second ski ahead with the XR2.  Anyone know how to do it?  If no, anyone know how to ask the developers to ADD this FEATURE?

Thank you so very much! :-)

Bert.

What "two things" were you able to do with the old remotes (that you can't do with the new ones)?

As far as cable box volume, I don't believe the X1 boxes have that.

In terms of 30 second skip, there's a way to repogrom the 5 minute jump button to do that: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/30-second-skip/m-p/1735161#M77510

New Poster

Does the X1 dvr box itself have a code that I may use to program it into a non xfinity remote?

Again, I need a code for the X1 itself.......not a code for devices to be found by the X1.

Thanks in advance

New Poster

Spot on! 

Device settings provides total control of the dimming and brightness of the power button and DVR clock display.

Thanks,

New Poster

Does X1 have anything like the old category and sub-category search menus?

I used to press (for example) search>sports>baseball, then I was able to scroll by time slots all the baseball related shows. I really, really, liked that. I don't really see anything remotely similar to that on my new X1 platform. I am really, really missing that. Any ideas to help???

Frequent Visitor

Problems with the new X1 boxes

I have had the new X1 system for three weeks and been having some issues with my boxes.  For the last 24 hours, all 4 of my boxes went offline and will not relaod.  My main DVR HD box display says "CASE" and no one at Comst that I have spoken with know what that means.  Does anyone else know???

New Poster

I just traded in a little DTA box for a non-DVR cable box and apparently was given a X1 box (non-DVR).  The directions with the remote indicate i can pair it with the box so that I can place the box out of siteBut following the printed directions do not bring up the indicated on screen directions for pairingAm I missing somethingHow do I pair this X1 box for blue tooth connectivity with the remote?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

The PR150 STB doesn't include the ability to pair via RF with the remote. Only the DVR does.
Tags (3)
Silver Problem Solver

@hockeyman29 wrote:

Thanks,

They are in the Settings (Gear icon) option.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

What is the make or manufacturer, and model number, of your new X1 DVR? It may be Arris or Motorola, or simply one of the older PACE units being recycled.

Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:

For some of us new adopters of X1 for whom "Watch In AnyRoom" was not yet an available feature, it's a train wreck trying to get this feature turned on.

It's taken me weeks to get it on.

Everyone has a different answer. From, it's not avaliable in your area yet, you don't have the right billing codes, all your equipment needs to be replaced, to the planets aren't aligned correctly. Smiley Wink

It reflects terribly on Comcast's customer service. Most customers would give up after the first phone call or two. I made at least 20. Hours on the phone. People even from Tier 2/National Support gave me a ticket number, promised to call back and never did.

I don't understand how a business can be run like this.  

I have given up for now.  I figure it technically may be ready, but it isn't really ready 'cause it can't be implemented.  At some point it will be old hat and the person on the phone will know what to do or have a cheat sheet for what to do...3-6 months maybe I give it another shot.  I'm working through enough kinks as it is now, so I probably don't need to bite off any more.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 keeps resetting to 720p

hi i assume since i am in south jersey with triple play i am eligible to buy an upgrade to x1 service. my question is, since i have no great faith in the pace box used heretofore, is the 3q2013-promised comcast-arris box for x1, new, perhaps called mg2402, be what i can get or ask for? exactly what model will i get (please specify make and model not the comcast name such as rngxxxx or x1 dvd) thank you so much. jk

Regular Contributor

hi congrats on your happy x1 anyroom dvr. is is from arris, like the new model mg2402 or mg1662 or such. The info should be on the label on the back.. ul code, model code, pn, fccid, etc. please let us know! ty. Good Luck!

Regular Contributor

Pace X1 STBs are the only ones out in the wild so far.
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

thank you for that update. the arris model demo'ed in Jan show (mg2402?) is supposed to be deployed by Comcast in 3q2013, which is now. Maybe their model will address many of these annoying problematic issues. I hope to hear if someone finally gets one, or if Comcast rep can say when they are starting to roll and where!

Contributor

Power Saver Mode

I am running an X1 with the latest upgrade dated June 22. I noticed after this upgrade the feature to set a power saving timer. When I did set this at two hours it appears the box powers off as you would expect. This happens when I am not home or in bed so I do not observe it directly. I have noticed when I power the box back on My Closed Caption setting has been reset to off. This is a minor problem but still a little pain in the ___. Just thought I should report this so it could be addressed. Otherwise I have really had no problems since the last two upgrades.

Regular Visitor

I have a similar issue. When I set the output on the X One to 1080P/60 which my brand new S60 series Panasonic is capable of displaying, I get a very quick 'flash' of color, or 'noise' as its called in the A/V world. This is extremely annoying, especially when I just spent $$$$$ on a new boob tube. It's similar to you're issue due to the fact that I have to manually go back and set the X One to 1080I. I know that the signal isn't 1080P any way, however, it should be up converting the signal to enhance the image. This is very very upsetting, all I have heard is the X One...... It will fix EVERYTHING.
Contributor

• Need a filter
  • Can't be done

Did you ever get it fixed?  A code change fixed mine a week later they went back to sharing.

Regular Contributor

Some insight into the 720P Reset.

It seems the boxes restart every night. With the resolution defaulting to 720 every time this would explain why I have to reset it everyday.

Can we get any comment on this being a bug. Is there any attention on a fix?
Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

@captainvideojw wrote:

It seems the boxes restart every night. With the resolution defaulting to 720 every time this would explain why I have to reset it everyday.

I can't figure out why that is happening to you and not me.  But I only have one 1080P TV. The three others are 720P.  How many 1080P TV's do you have? Do all the 1080P TV's reset every night?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:

It is an HDMI handshake issue - probably depends on what brand of AVR or TV you have connected, but it occurs on many brands based on the number of reports here.  What would be nice is if the X1 would allow locking down the settings rather than trying to self-configure based on the EDID it sees from the equipment.  I had the same problem with audio always being reset to stereo.  I used a Gefen HDMI Detective box to "spoof" an EDID and now I don't have anymore issues. 

The one danger of allowing the box to used forced settings is that someone without the right TV could choose 1080P and then lock themselves out of any display - they'd have to hook up with component cables to get it back.  HDMI can be flakey - that's why I already had that Gefen box; not my first unruly HDMI setup.

Comcast knows about this problem; they asked for info from me about the Gefen box, so I know they are onto it. Might not be a simple fix.

Frequent Visitor

We just had the X1 installed yesterday.  What I thought would be a quick switching of boxes turned into a 6 hour ordeal.  Of course after the tech left, I realized that there is an issue with our home theatre system.  The sound works fine if only using the TV but once the home theatre system is turned on, the sound cuts in and out of the sound bar.  The subwoofer seems to still be working though.  We've tried adjusting the cables/settings every which way but it's still not working.  Now we have to wait til next weekend for a another tech to come out.  I am not even confident that they'll be able to solve the problem.  Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote &amp; Equipment [ New ]
‎07-14-2013 11:12 AM - edited ‎07-14-2013 11:12 AM

captainvideojw wrote:

It is an HDMI handshake issue - probably depends on what brand of AVR or TV you have connected, but it occurs on many brands based on the number of reports here. What would be nice is if the X1 would allow locking down the settings rather than trying to self-configure based on the EDID it sees from the equipment. I had the same problem with audio always being reset to stereo. I used a Gefen HDMI Detective box to "spoof" an EDID and now I don't have anymore issues.

The one danger of allowing the box to used forced settings is that someone without the right TV could choose 1080P and then lock themselves out of any display - they'd have to hook up with component cables to get it back. HDMI can be flakey - that's why I already had that Gefen box; not my first unruly HDMI setup.

Comcast knows about this problem; they asked for info from me about the Gefen box, so I know they are onto it. Might not be a simple fix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Very good point. The EDID is to blame. Even though I've been asking for a 'Native' output option in the X1, that wasn't foolproof either on the last generation Motorola boxes. From time to time with the same dual output setup I have now, those boxes would revert to 720p too--just not nearly as often as the X1. I could control it mostly with my Harmony One remote by adding delays and making sure to power on the devices in the correct order to allow for proper HDMI handshaking to occur. Those same delays and power on ordering does not improve the situation with the X1 as it did with the old DVRs.

My setup:
X1 to HDTV via component
X1 to AVR to HDTV via HDMI

For me, the X1 reverts to 720p most times when switching between the two output methods. It seems to depend on what fixed resolution setting I manually set the X1 to before the switch and whether or not I switch to component output after watching via my AVR before shutting the system down.

Whenever, the reset to 720p occurs, I set the output resolution to the max allowed for that output type: Component setup is 1080p/30. HDMI setup is 1080p/60. Going from HDMI to component, the X1 reverts to 1080p/30 or more often to 720p. Going from component to HDMI, the X1 reverts to 720p ALWAYS.