Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Pace and Arris also makes them using all the same specs, you just got a newly manufactured box which I think would be better than getting an older refurbished one.

how can you tell if you rbox is new or refurbished?

Contributor

Two techs, my DH and I all made sure they're plugged in to the right colors. Maybe one of the connectors or a cord is going bad. I'll buy a new one this week and see if that solves the problem.
You mentioned the red, green and blue. That's the cord we were using for the Color Stream. The connectors now are red, yellow and white and the first tech told me not to use the other cord. Can I use the other cord? Would you know the corresponding colors to the green and blue?
Thanks for the help!

@RickGr4 wrote:

Ah you have a Toshiba TV and you are using component input not HDMI. If your colors are weird that means you have the red, green, blue connectors crossed somewhere. You need to look VERY carefully to make sure you have those connectors in the right place on both the box and the TV. I think you will find you have a red or blue connector plugged into the wrong socket.

Rick G. in MSP

Regular Contributor

@nightsmusic wrote:
Two techs, my DH and I all made sure they're plugged in to the right colors. Maybe one of the connectors or a cord is going bad. I'll buy a new one this week and see if that solves the problem.
You mentioned the red, green and blue. That's the cord we were using for the Color Stream. The connectors now are red, yellow and white and the first tech told me not to use the other cord. Can I use the other cord? Would you know the corresponding colors to the green and blue?
Thanks for the help!

@RickGr4 wrote:

Ah you have a Toshiba TV and you are using component input not HDMI. If your colors are weird that means you have the red, green, blue connectors crossed somewhere. You need to look VERY carefully to make sure you have those connectors in the right place on both the box and the TV. I think you will find you have a red or blue connector plugged into the wrong socket.

Rick G. in MSP

Red, Yellow,and White?  Just how old is your tv?  It sounds like the tech installed a simple video connection with a stereo connection for sound.  If that is the case the yellow should be connected to an RCA input labled "video".  The white and red would be for audio left and right.  If that is how you are connected check the output resolution.  It should be set to 450SD.  If you do have red green and blue inputs on your tv, then use the red green and blue cord matching the inputs on the x1.  You will need to connect audio separately.

Contributor

Up until now, the picture on the TV has been awesome running it  through the color stream connections. It's 12 years old but because it's a huge screen and been so good, we haven't wanted to replace it.

I have 480 and 480i SD. It was on 480 so I've changed it to 480i. Neither works, the color is still wonky. Trying the higher settings gives the same results.

When I use the blue cord, it plugs into the color stream in the back of the TV and we don't get any picture at all that way. I better try a new cord and see what happens.

Red, Yellow,and White?  Just how old is your tv?  It sounds like the tech installed a simple video connection with a stereo connection for sound.  If that is the case the yellow should be connected to an RCA input labled "video".  The white and red would be for audio left and right.  If that is how you are connected check the output resolution.  It should be set to 450SD.  If you do have red green and blue inputs on your tv, then use the red green and blue cord matching the inputs on the x1.  You will need to connect audio separately.

Bronze Problem Solver

Nightmusic - It appears you want to use component connections from your TV to the X1 box - if that's so, the connections and cable colors should be like this:

Component connection.JPG

Regular Contributor

If its 12 years old would it have component video? My box sent out scrambled colors a few times but was easily fixed by pushing the power button. My tv is 6 months old 1080p hdmi high speed with ethernet. If you want to get the most out of the x1 I'd look to replace the tv , some real good deals out there right now, my tv worked fine but it was 7 years old rear projection and I wanted a flat screen on the wall.

Contributor

It's all plugged in the right way. I'll try a new cord. Maybe it's just that simple.

We didn't want the expense of a new TV since we also need a new mattress and those are rediculously priced for anything decent. This one I believe is also rear projection. We cleaned the bulbs off about 6 months ago and couldn't believe the difference in clarity! When we do a flat screen, it will go over the fireplace, but for now, I need to make this TV work somehow. I'm still thinking it's a bad cord though.

Gold Problem Solver

It's not hooked up properly. If you don't understand all of the free and correct advice that has been posted here THEN PAY A PRO TO FIX IT FOR YOU.

Contributor

Why are you yelling at me? I have evertyhing plugged into the correct ports. They are the same ports that TWO Comcast techs plugged them into, they're the same ports that are in the schematic posted above. I plugged them into different ones thinking maybe the cords are color coded wrong. It didn't matter. The color is still wonky. I don't understand what else I can do short of taking a picture of the back of the box and the TV and posting it here! And I can't afford a $500 TV right now.

I thought asking for some help was the right thing to do, but I guess it wasn't.

My apologies. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

@RickGr4 wrote:

It's not hooked up properly. If you don't understand all of the free and correct advice that has been posted here THEN PAY A PRO TO FIX IT FOR YOU.

Bronze Problem Solver

@nightsmusic wrote:

Why are you yelling at me? I have evertyhing plugged into the correct ports. They are the same ports that TWO Comcast techs plugged them into, they're the same ports that are in the schematic posted above. I plugged them into different ones thinking maybe the cords are color coded wrong. It didn't matter. The color is still wonky. I don't understand what else I can do short of taking a picture of the back of the box and the TV and posting it here! And I can't afford a $500 TV right now.

I thought asking for some help was the right thing to do, but I guess it wasn't.

You didn't bother anyone - that's what this forum is for.  We're glad to provide the help.

Contributor

Thank you. At this point, I've had the plugs in every which way and nothing has changed short of not having a picture of course when the video cable is pulled. I'm thinking that maybe it's coincidental that one or more of the bulbs in the TV is going which means we'd buy a new TV (which I'm really trying not to do but it seems to be Murphy's Christmas law around here!) because those three bulbs are stupidly expensive and not worth replacing, or the cable we were using has a bad plug. It's the only two options I have left.

I truly appreciate all of the help I received here. I know it's not the box though because this is the second one and the same thing is happening. Unless for some reason, the box isn't compatible with older TVs but if that's the case, I wish someone would have said that when they installed the system. Since they didn't, I can only think it's one of the other two.

@manamok wrote:

@nightsmusic wrote:

You didn't bother anyone - that's what this forum is for.  We're glad to provide the help.

Diamond Problem Solver

Night, just for giggles, you said your blue ray works. What happens when you disconnect the input from the blue ray and put them on the back of the box, making sure color for color everything is the same?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Technically, I don't have an 'input' on the blu-ray. It's a wireless, so it acts more like a receiver. The 'out' cables are plugged into the TV, but there's nowhere to plug anything in the blu-ray for 'incoming.' It relies on the wireless modem and uses the TV like a monitor. I have another DVDr that's sitting on the TV but not plugged in. I can try that tomorrow and see if the same thing happens.

The biggest reason I thought it's one of the cables is because the picture through the blu-ray is excellent and I have no color problems. If it was one of the bulbs in the TV going bad, I would think the color would be bad on anything that played through the screen.

There's no rhyme or reason to the wonky either. I can get three good hours of TV, then the color will go for fifteen minutes. Then it's fine again for awhile. Sometimes, it starts as soon as the TV is turned on and doesn't quit. Makes it that much harder to diagnose.

Diamond Problem Solver

Just take whatever cables come from the back of blue ray and put them in the x1. Theoretically you should have as good a picture as blue ray.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

I did not mean to sound like I am yelling at you. Sorry about that. However I have been working with this stuff for over 30 years and every bone in my body tells me you are missing something easy. I am NOT suggesting you go out and buy a new TV. What I am saying is find a family member, friend or coworker that has some experience with this stuff and have them look at it. If you don't know anyone with any experience then pay a local AV company to make a service visit. I am betting they would quickly fix your problem and also fix a few problems you did not know you had. PM me and I will refer you to someone.

RG in MSP

Frequent Visitor

nightsmusic

I may not have read far enough back in this thread, but if possible, please post the model number of your tv.  What I have seen posted suggests you might not have enough HD inputs to support both Blueray and X1 boxes - that would be typical for something 12 years old.  It sounds like you are trying to hook the X1 component video cables to a composite video input, which is not a compatible path.  I am happy to look up a connection diagram for your model and see if this is in fact the case.

Paul

Contributor

@paul1845ga wrote:

nightsmusic

I may not have read far enough back in this thread, but if possible, please post the model number of your tv.  What I have seen posted suggests you might not have enough HD inputs to support both Blueray and X1 boxes - that would be typical for something 12 years old.  It sounds like you are trying to hook the X1 component video cables to a composite video input, which is not a compatible path.  I am happy to look up a connection diagram for your model and see if this is in fact the case.

Paul

Thanks, I will when I get home tonight. I used to know it, but my memory is getting older Smiley Wink  If that is the case, I have never researched to see if there's an adapter I can use to play more than one thing through one set of ports. I believe though that two of the port set-ups are the same and I have my blu-ray and X1 running through those, then the component video ones are now empty as we're no longer using the Color Stream option on the TV since it's not compatible.

As to whether or not I know what I'm doing, I do. It's not a question of finding a neighbor or tech to plug things into ports. I too have been working with this stuff a long time. If it didn't have me baffled, I wouldn't have asked in the first place, but this is the first time I've seen this happen and wondered if anyone else had seen the problem as well.

Regular Contributor

I got a little curious as to what  "'color stream " is and googled it and its just the brand name for component video and the white and red audio so it should be good for up to 1080i. I'd go grab a cheap set of component cables and try it then.

Contributor

I am back to report:

I have a Toshiba 53AX61 Rear Projection 53in TV.

I bought new cables (and not cheap ones either!,) tried every combination I could and the color is still wonky. I do not have any input ports into my Blu-Ray player so could not try that. I have no HDMI on the TV and haven't found a cable that is HDMI on one end and three plug on the other to try that.

After all of the help I've received here, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the TV. We'll live with this for a bit, I guess, until we can buy a new one. We're hoping we can pick one up that's only around $500 in about three weeks.

Thanks to all of you for helping. I am by no means a novice with electronics, but this is the only rear projection TV I've ever dealt with and the only thing I can think is that one of the bulbs might be going bad. I'm not sure why it doesn't do this with the Blu-Ray but maybe I should put a four hour movie up on that and see if eventually, the color breaks down there as well.

Regular Contributor

@nightsmusic wrote:

I am back to report:

I have a Toshiba 53AX61 Rear Projection 53in TV.

I bought new cables (and not cheap ones either!,) tried every combination I could and the color is still wonky. I do not have any input ports into my Blu-Ray player so could not try that. I have no HDMI on the TV and haven't found a cable that is HDMI on one end and three plug on the other to try that.

After all of the help I've received here, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the TV. We'll live with this for a bit, I guess, until we can buy a new one. We're hoping we can pick one up that's only around $500 in about three weeks.

Thanks to all of you for helping. I am by no means a novice with electronics, but this is the only rear projection TV I've ever dealt with and the only thing I can think is that one of the bulbs might be going bad. I'm not sure why it doesn't do this with the Blu-Ray but maybe I should put a four hour movie up on that and see if eventually, the color breaks down there as well.

Let me take one more cracl at this.  I'm notsure why you mention "input" ports on your 

Blu Ray.  That is not an issue.  Un plug the cables from the "output" ports on the Blu Ray and plug them onto the output ports of the x1.  Set the tv to the same input as the Blu Ray and see if you get better results.  

Bronze Problem Solver

If mars21's suggestion works fine and a coax from the X1 to the TV works fine I would suspect that the component inputs on the back of the Toshiba are bad.

Contributor

Tried it, no change.I plugged the X1 into both sets on the TV, tried the Blu-Ray in both sets on the TV, the Blu-Ray is great, the X1 changes color.

And if the ports on the TV are going bad, that's a new TV anyway. The one other thing I'd read about the TV is that the circuit boards for the convergence/color can go bad and they are replaceable but again, it would cost just as much as buying a new set. Oddly enough, for the last two hours, the color has been fine.

Frequent Visitor

nightsmusic

Per the Toshiba manual, your TV seems to have only one component input, as used on the DVD input.  The Y connection should connect to the Y or green rca on the X1 component output, the Cb to the blue rca and the Cr to the red rca.  To use the component input with both the Blueray and X1, you would need an external component video switchbox, which you should be able to buy at a local electronics store.  Given that the TV is 4:3 format and CRT based, you should set the output resolution of X1 to 480i or 480p.

You do have the option of connecting X1 to one of the two video inputs, and use the S-video or composite video feed.  It will work, just won't be HD.

The decision to buy a new tv would give you better input flexibility (both multiple HD inputs as well as HDMI option), the ability to watch in HD resolutions of 720p or 1080i/1080p, 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, etc.  It would be a 'better' viewing experience, but your wallet needs to decide how important that is.

Hope this helps!

Frequent Visitor

I've had my X1 system for two weeks now, and overall it's working ok. One DVR box and two small satellite boxes.
Same wish list as everyone else.... I have what the Tech called the new guide, X2?

Problem 1: I cannot pair my remote to the satellite boxes, only the DVR, for the "aim anywhere" functionality. Phone support says it should work on all boxes. Tech came out and couldn't get it to pair. He called two other techs and they both said only the DVR box will pair, not the small STB satellite boxes. SHOULD THIS WORK? Does it work for any of you?

Problem 2: I record the Sunday/Monday/Thursday night NFL games and watch them from the satellite box in my bedroom. I do a double fast forward then play/pause between plays to get through the games fast. Triple FF for the ads. This worked great UNTIL TODAY! Now, when I press the FF, the picture pauses for about 6-8 seconds, then jerkily starts its FF. Then when I hit Play/pause I miss where I want to play and have to hit the 15 sec rewind. Makes it impossible to zip through the game as I like, and as it used to work. Any ideas?
Diamond Problem Solver

1.true only the dvr has the pairing ability.

Merry Christmas to all

Regular Contributor

@billco wrote:
I've had my X1 system for two weeks now, and overall it's working ok. One DVR box and two small satellite boxes.
Same wish list as everyone else.... I have what the Tech called the new guide, X2?

Problem 1: I cannot pair my remote to the satellite boxes, only the DVR, for the "aim anywhere" functionality. Phone support says it should work on all boxes. Tech came out and couldn't get it to pair. He called two other techs and they both said only the DVR box will pair, not the small STB satellite boxes. SHOULD THIS WORK? Does it work for any of you?

Problem 2: I record the Sunday/Monday/Thursday night NFL games and watch them from the satellite box in my bedroom. I do a double fast forward then play/pause between plays to get through the games fast. Triple FF for the ads. This worked great UNTIL TODAY! Now, when I press the FF, the picture pauses for about 6-8 seconds, then jerkily starts its FF. Then when I hit Play/pause I miss where I want to play and have to hit the 15 sec rewind. Makes it impossible to zip through the game as I like, and as it used to work. Any ideas?

did you try a restart on the boxes?

Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have a 3 week old Samsung UN40F6300 and use the X1 DVR with it.  It has been working well, using the Samsung remote to operate my set top box, with the IR from samsung talking to my set top box.  This morning, Using either the samsung or the comcast remote, I can turn the tv on and off, but I cannot access the guide with either remote, I cannot change the channel with the up/down arrows.  I went throught the steps to reset my samsung universal remote, as I had done before but when I type in the set top box model number the remote annot change the channel, whichis the last step in the set up test.  I've entered the set top box model number accurately, even calling comcast to verify I'm using the right number.  But it will not change the channel with the up down arrow using either remote.  While it seems that the remote will not talk to the set top box, to confirm the model number, it will also not respond to the comcast remote's command beyond off/on, volume. 

I am tryng to sort out if it is the x1 box not playing nicely, which seems possible since both remotes do not have their full access.  Also, I see the red light at the bottom right of the Samsung tv blink when I press the buttons on both remotes and I see a green light on the set top box DVR blink when I press buttons,  but the channel won't change and the menus don't come up.

Any ideas on where I start to sort out where the problem is?

If I have not posted this correctly, or in the correct forum, I apologize and ask that you kindly direct me where to go.. yes, I'm inviting you to tell me where to go.  Be gentle .... LOL

Michelle

Bronze Problem Solver

Try unplugging the X1 for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in and let the box reboot.  Hopefully that will restore full functionality to the box.  

Gold Problem Solver

Don't worry Michelle, women are very welcome here. This forum has had a few testosterone overdoses so it's nice to have women join in. Besides I'm always gentle... LOL

Rick G. in MSP

PS. I think manamok is right. Unpluging things has become the "miracle cure" in today's consumer electronics.

@dogmadre wrote:

Hello,

I have a 3 week old Samsung UN40F6300 and use the X1 DVR with it.  It has been working well, using the Samsung remote to operate my set top box, with the IR from samsung talking to my set top box.  This morning, Using either the samsung or the comcast remote, I can turn the tv on and off, but I cannot access the guide with either remote, I cannot change the channel with the up/down arrows.  I went throught the steps to reset my samsung universal remote, as I had done before but when I type in the set top box model number the remote annot change the channel, whichis the last step in the set up test.  I've entered the set top box model number accurately, even calling comcast to verify I'm using the right number.  But it will not change the channel with the up down arrow using either remote.  While it seems that the remote will not talk to the set top box, to confirm the model number, it will also not respond to the comcast remote's command beyond off/on, volume. 

I am tryng to sort out if it is the x1 box not playing nicely, which seems possible since both remotes do not have their full access.  Also, I see the red light at the bottom right of the Samsung tv blink when I press the buttons on both remotes and I see a green light on the set top box DVR blink when I press buttons,  but the channel won't change and the menus don't come up.

Any ideas on where I start to sort out where the problem is?

If I have not posted this correctly, or in the correct forum, I apologize and ask that you kindly direct me where to go.. yes, I'm inviting you to tell me where to go.  Be gentle .... LOL

Michelle

Contributor

I'm back, over the flu, Christmas is done, and have tried everyone's suggestions including the SVideo hook up which won't work because there is no SVideo output on the X1 box I have. I bought an HDMI to SVid hook up. Nada. Still the same problem.

So, today we went looking at TVs and I think we've found one that will work in our budget. I wanted to thank everyone again for their help. It's just an old TV.

@paul1845ga wrote:

nightsmusic

Per the Toshiba manual, your TV seems to have only one component input, as used on the DVD input.  The Y connection should connect to the Y or green rca on the X1 component output, the Cb to the blue rca and the Cr to the red rca.  To use the component input with both the Blueray and X1, you would need an external component video switchbox, which you should be able to buy at a local electronics store.  Given that the TV is 4:3 format and CRT based, you should set the output resolution of X1 to 480i or 480p.

You do have the option of connecting X1 to one of the two video inputs, and use the S-video or composite video feed.  It will work, just won't be HD.

The decision to buy a new tv would give you better input flexibility (both multiple HD inputs as well as HDMI option), the ability to watch in HD resolutions of 720p or 1080i/1080p, 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, etc.  It would be a 'better' viewing experience, but your wallet needs to decide how important that is.

Hope this helps!

Diamond Problem Solver

We tried good luck with new tv!!!

Regular Contributor

Thank you Manamok and Rickgr4, I'll give this a try.  I am wondering if either of you, or others here, can tell me where the remote control signal receiver is on the front of the x1 box.  I'm told I need to put the samsung ir right in front of it but I don't know where is lives behind the dark glass.  Any help?

Michelle

Regular Contributor

Hi all, I got a flashlight and aimed it into the black glass front and could see the receiver ion the reflection.  So I sorted that out.  I did unplug my box and when I plugged it in, making sure the ir thingy (a technical term, I'm sure) was in front of the receiver, all systems are go and both remotes are now working.  I figured it had to be my x1 box (what????) because both the comcast and samsung remotes were acting up.  Glad I got it sorted out. 

Now I am free to start googling for the best 32" LED HDTV.  Oh goody!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Michelle

in Seattle

Gold Problem Solver

Some audio/video products can respond to commands from their remote control from very wide angles and are not fussy about how you aim the remote. For some reason the X1 box is HIGHLY directional and wants the remote control pointed right at it unless you are using the XR2 remote in RF mode. Personally I think this was intentional and I would love to take an X1 box apart to see if the situation could be improved.

Michelle you took all the right steps and did exactly the right thing to solve your issue. I am about to redo my AV system and when I do I plan to install an IR sensor system similar to what you did.

Rick G. in MSP

@dogmadre wrote:

Hi all, I got a flashlight and aimed it into the black glass front and could see the receiver ion the reflection.  So I sorted that out.  I did unplug my box and when I plugged it in, making sure the ir thingy (a technical term, I'm sure) was in front of the receiver, all systems are go and both remotes are now working.  I figured it had to be my x1 box (what????) because both the comcast and samsung remotes were acting up.  Glad I got it sorted out. 

Now I am free to start googling for the best 32" LED HDTV.  Oh goody!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Michelle

in Seattle

New Poster

Hi, I am trying to use the extra hdmi ports for my xbox on the X1. I cant figure out how to use the xbox through it though, not finding the right channel or input. Please advice on how to do this please.

Thanks,

Diamond Problem Solver

Jihep, only the HDMI output is enabled those other 2 are disabled

New Poster

whats the point of having the 2 hdmi inputs then, is this something that will be used later on?

New Poster

Why can't I turn off the power light on the remote boxes? I was able to originally but after the first upgrade the option disappeared. I can still turn it off on the main x1 box but it seems to go back on by itself after a few days. Please fix this!!
Regular Contributor

@Mattdmd wrote:
Why can't I turn off the power light on the remote boxes? I was able to originally but after the first upgrade the option disappeared. I can still turn it off on the main x1 box but it seems to go back on by itself after a few days. Please fix this!!

The light to my main box stays off but I've never been able to shut off the power light to the remote boxes. Itwould be nice as one is in my bedroom in direct line of sight when I'm in  bed.

Contributor

Why aren't you dimming them? It's in the settings. Xfinity button, settings all the way to the right, Device Settings, Press OK, scroll to the Display light brightness and Power light brightness and adjust them.

On a side note, I'm back to report that we bought an LG, 50" Plasma and have had no color fluctuation whatsoever. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me with this, but the old TV was obviously the problem. Awesome picture on the new LG but of course, the sound isn't nearly as good. We'll get a soundbar eventually but can certainly live with things for now.

Thanks again!

Bronze Problem Solver

Nice - ya done good!!

Regular Contributor

Enjoy the TV!  I dim the green power light all the way down and set the clock to one on the main box but never been able to adjust or dim the companion boxes.

Contributor

Really? I have three satellite boxes and was able to dim them all. The one in my bedroom was like a headlight until I dimmed it.

Regular Contributor

device lights is listed but never responds on those 2 boxes when I select it.

Contributor

What did you try setting it on?  I did have to keep it at 1 or above. I couldn't turn it all the way off.

Regular Contributor

wouldnt let me adjust them at all ,would click on it and nothing would happen,maybe I need to wait longer.

Contributor

Hmmm...as soon as I highlighted the option, I was able to adjust it. Maybe there's some kind of lock on the box and by lock, I mean maybe it's programmed to not let you change it in which case, I'd call and ask that a technician be sent out to check it and change it.  I really didn't want to glue something over the light so I'm glad mine worked. But I would have if I couldn't change it.

Regular Contributor

it again then if it doesn't work I'll contact comcast. Once I'm asleep it doesn't bother me -ha!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the replies.

Now to my question for ComcastLarry or someone who knows: SHOULD the satellite boxes be able to pair with the remote for "aim anywhere" functionality? ie: use RF instead of IR commands. (The X1 DVR box (XG1-P) did pair ok.)

Sales sold me on this fuctionality so I could put my bedroom box behind my dresser, out of sight. Also for my kitchen box to get it behind the little tv, off the counter.

Phone support says, yes, it should work for all boxes.  Sent out a tech to fix my problem -- nope, doesn't work.

Remote that came with the boxes has instructions printed on the back how to pair. Why, if it won't work?

I have the RNG150N stbs running the guide that fills the whole screen, with the tv program showing dimly behind the program grid (tech called it X2). I have the XR2 remotes. One is Version U2 the other is P2.

So, what's the scoop? Again, I know it's not working, but SHOULD it?

Diamond Problem Solver

Bill, the satellite boxes do not have capability of RF through the remotes BUT if you use an infrared eye that comes with the dta works fine. If you look on the back you'll see the small hole/label for it.