Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

@gate1975mlm wrote:

I think I found a New Bug!

"Auto Tune to HD" Is not working on some channels!

Like for example Channel Fox 15 and CBS 03 just to name a few.

I don't remember this happening before so it must have just started with one of the recent software updates.

I am in Philly.

gate1975mlm- I will send you a PM to gather more information. Assuming you have the 'auto-tune to HD' option enabled, those channels should automatically go to the HD version. Thanks for posting. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: XR5 Remote now available at the Comcast Store!

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

The XR5 is Comcast's newest remote, it was designed to improve the XFINITY TV viewing experience and is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1. This premium remote control is ergonomically designed to be easier to handle and feel better in your hand, putting the buttons you use most often within easy reach.

Features:

• 3-second Amber Backlight
  • Uses 2-AA Batteries (included)
  • Supports both IR and RF* modes.
  • TV IR Control Database - TV Power, Volume, Mute
  • Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute

To learn more about the XR5 remote or order it from the Comcast Accessory Store, click here.

Do you have a link to the XR5 User Manual? I'm interested in the AVR feature.  Is it going to be available in my local Comcast Store?

Hi RobertWy - Currently, the remote is only available throught the online Accessory Store only (link above).

The primary difference between the XR2 and XR5 remotes is the backlight with built in accelerometer (the XR5 lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate like many backlit remotes on the market). The XR5 also has an improved fit, finish and feel. 

The XR5 and XR2 remotes currently share the same online user guide: https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_12291... 

Regular Contributor

@Anon11664 wrote:

What are the specific differences between this and the XR2?  Is it just the backlight?

Does the power button work correctly while pair'ed with this?

Does this have a way to change inputs on a receiver?

The primary difference between the XR2 and XR5 remotes is the backlight with built in accelerometer (the XR5 lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate like many backlit remotes on the market). The XR5 also has an improved fit, finish and feel. 

The XR5 does not have a dedicate input button. 

Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

Kara-

Please post more details on what is different between the two.  It will help us to know if we should be swapping these out.

Is this a free exchange?  Do I get the $5 fee charged to me if I swap the remote at the local office?

Thanks

Currently, the remote is only available for purchase through the online Accessory Store. There will be no fee to exchange the remote after you purchase the new one. 

The XR5 and XR2 remotes currently share the same online user guide: https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_12291... 

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I get it??

@crazey4wwe wrote:

How do I get the X1 Box?? I live in NJ and think it looks incredible!

Information on how to get X1 can be found on: http://www.comcast.com/x1

The locations where the X1 Experience is available now are listed on Comcast Voices, link below:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/x1-platform-expands-now-available-in-10-markets

As additional markets and areas are added and announced, they will be officially announced on the site above or at the main site below:  http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/

From Comcast Voices:  The X1 Platform is currently available to customers in areas of Atlanta; Augusta, Ga.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Greater Boston; Philadelphia; New Jersey; Washington D.C.; Independence, Mo.; Colorado Springs, Colo., and the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton and Santa Barbara, Calif.  More major markets will be launched soon. 

Frequent Visitor

I am also experiencing this issue. I find that the resolution is changing back from 1080p to 720p and that the Surround is changing back to Stereo (i.e., 2.0 PCM) despite still indicating Surround as the selected option. I must change it to Stereo and then back to Surround to get proper Dolby Digital via the HDMI connection to my Integra receiver. The resolution I just change back to 1080p.

The settings seem to stay for 1-2 days, but then, for no apparent reason, they are reset again back to defaults. I don't power down the box at all, and we haven't had any power losses. The box is a Pace PX001ANM. Interestingly, we have the same box in our bedroom (where we don't have a DD receiver), so I haven't been checking the settings on that box until today. Lo and behold, this box has retained the proper settings! So, could it be a bad batch of boxes? Could it possibly be more susceptible to this reversion of settings due to the HDMI connection (i.e., communication with) to the receiver?

The box has the following firmware:

release ver xappl-XREZ.0P10

XRE server ver Z.01.11 (build 4317)

XRE protocol ver 2.8.0

STB PX001AN_XC_1.1.2.4.2_PROD_BC_SPCsd

STB timestamp April 12, 2013

Hope there is a solution to this annoying issue once and for all!

Frequent Visitor

I added Comcast voice (telephone) service last week, at which time we upgraded our legacy boxes to X1 boxes. I was trying to get the Caller ID option to work onscreen (on the TV), but was unsuccessful despite having the option enabled on the X1 box. After a lengthy conversation with Xfinity tech support, I was told that despite having the ability to have Caller ID display on the TV, the option was not enabled on my account. I was transferred to Sales, who had to enable this option, allowing this feature to now work correctly. For what it's worth, I was told by sales that this option is NOT enabled by default - a specific request must be made by the customer to activate it (despite there not being an additonal charge for the service).

Frequent Visitor

@PAIRdoc wrote:

I am also experiencing this issue. I find that the resolution is changing back from 1080p to 720p and that the Surround is changing back to Stereo (i.e., 2.0 PCM) despite still indicating Surround as the selected option. I must change it to Stereo and then back to Surround to get proper Dolby Digital via the HDMI connection to my Integra receiver. The resolution I just change back to 1080p.

I'm having this exact same issue in regards to audio.  My resoultion has not changed but I leave it set at 1080i.

I have my box connected directly to my reciever, a Anthem MRX300, which is then connected to my TV via HDMI.

Frequent Visitor

@PAIRdoc wrote:

I added Comcast voice (telephone) service last week, at which time we upgraded our legacy boxes to X1 boxes. I was trying to get the Caller ID option to work onscreen (on the TV), but was unsuccessful despite having the option enabled on the X1 box. After a lengthy conversation with Xfinity tech support, I was told that despite having the ability to have Caller ID display on the TV, the option was not enabled on my account. I was transferred to Sales, who had to enable this option, allowing this feature to now work correctly. For what it's worth, I was told by sales that this option is NOT enabled by default - a specific request must be made by the customer to activate it (despite there not being an additonal charge for the service).

Pairdoc,

I believe you can mangage this setting here:

http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/home

Among other X1 specific account settings.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I think I set a new record for time spent on the phone with Comcast (at least a personal record - perhaps not a "world" record) - 255 minutes!! What a complete waste of time! We have only had X1 for a week now, and although the interface and features are nice, it sort of feels like we are beta testers. We are also new to Comcast voice.

The issues I called about were:

- Reporting the DVR outage and button-response sluggishness that occurred last night (couldn't get through last night; I see it is also reported on this forum, which will now be my first goto source). I hope such outages are the exception rather than the rule.

- Spontaneous resetting of X1 box preferences for screen resolution and surround sound.

- Caller ID not displaying properly on the TV screen.

- Trying to get two remotes sent to me, because the installer last week only had one (we have three boxes), and we are 45 minutes from the nearest Comcast center.

The person I was dealing with must have been new. I was trying to be very patient, but she was just inappropriately slow and completely unhelpful. Don't these people have any training? Being an engineer, I ultimately lost my patience and requested speaking with a supervisor after two hours of this nonsense. He had to transfer me to sales to get my Caller ID onscreen feature activated. Sales transferred me to X1 support to get the remotes mailed out - disconnected. Called back - X1 told me it was sales who had to mail out remotes. Back to sales - they told me I needed to talk to X1 - endless loop! I finally got someone slightly knowedgable from X1 (thank you, Kelly) who conferenced in sales, and made sure they completed the request for the remotes properly.

It is so frustrating dealing with Comcast! It unconscionable that such a large, multibillion dollar corporation can allow such abysmal customer service. I wish they could create a system where the right hand and left hand were better coordinated, and that the personnel were properly trained. I doubt that Ed Snider would put up with such mismanagement if he were only on the customer end to see how things operate from this side of the fence. Perhaps a good opportunity for an Undercover Boss episode?

Frequent Visitor

@GoodOmens wrote:

@PAIRdoc wrote:

Pairdoc,

I believe you can mangage this setting here:

http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/home

Among other X1 specific account settings.

Thanks for the reply.

I did have the Enable Caller Id Notification setting properly enabled on the webportal, as well. It still didn't work until Sales activated the feature on my account.

Regular Contributor

So now we have 4/5 tuners but still can only buffer 1 tuner?  When is that going to change?  The old box would buffer 2 and of all the numerous issues with the X1, this one is at or near the top.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Surround to Stereo switching

@GoodOmens wrote:

@PAIRdoc wrote:

I'm having this exact same issue in regards to audio.  My resoultion has not changed but I leave it set at 1080i.

I have my box connected directly to my reciever, a Anthem MRX300, which is then connected to my TV via HDMI.

My theory on this is that it is an HDMI handshake problem where the cablebox goes to AVR (5.1) to TV (2.0).  I think HDMI reports back to the cable box that the TV can only do 2.0 regardless of the intermediate AVR.  Users not using HDMI all the way through the chain probably don't have the issue; for example, those using Component video to the TV or Optical audio to the AVR, perhaps.

To test this, I put a Gefen HDMI Detective set at a hard coded EDID of 5.1/1080i immediately after the cable box and before my AVR.  The idea was that the X1 would always see an EDID that supported 5.1.  So far this has worked  - overnight, while repowering the X1, and after restarting the X1.  I'll keep an eye on it, but I think this was the issue and is solved by the Gefen Box - not cheap though - more of a test device - and it would be nice if the X1 box would simply retain the customer settings without trying to be so clever.

Frequent Visitor

I want to purchase my modem instead of paying $7 monthly. Am I ok to purchase a TG862G listed as Comcast Approved off the net? Will there be any issues moving it onto my account?

thanks

dk2463

Regular Contributor

Re: Caller ID On Screen

PairDoc "I added Comcast voice (telephone) service last week, at which time we upgraded our legacy boxes to X1 boxes. I was trying to get the Caller ID option to work onscreen (on the TV), but was unsuccessful despite having the option enabled on the X1 box. After a lengthy conversation with Xfinity tech support, I was told that despite having the ability to have Caller ID display on the TV, the option was not enabled on my account. I was transferred to Sales, who had to enable this option, allowing this feature to now work correctly. For what it's worth, I was told by sales that this option is NOT enabled by default - a specific request must be made by the customer to activate it (despite there not being an additonal charge for the service)."

Same thing today. I had voice installed. Caller ID On Screen wasn't working inspite of all settings turned on my end. Tech didn't know. I had already ready PairDoc's post and was prepared. Called Sales,"Ah some how it wasn't added to your order. I will add it", the rep said. Waiting for the tech to close his order and hopefully the change will take place.

Kara, please notify sales that they need to be aware of this. Thank you!

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

The XR5 is Comcast's newest remote, it was designed to improve the XFINITY TV viewing experience and is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1. This premium remote control is ergonomically designed to be easier to handle and feel better in your hand, putting the buttons you use most often within easy reach.

Features:

To learn more about the XR5 remote or order it from the Comcast Accessory Store, click here.

Do you have a link to the XR5 User Manual? I'm interested in the AVR feature.  Is it going to be available in my local Comcast Store?

Hi RobertWy - Currently, the remote is only available throught the online Accessory Store only (link above).

Hmm.  Norhing about the "Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute" feature in the user guide?  From what you say, backlight, improved fit, finish and feel are the only differences.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Maybe.. I have a tv that does not do 5.1, but a zevox that does. My signal goes from cable box to tv via hemispheres, then to zevox via toslink. It stays on 5.1.
Regular Contributor

hdmi, not hemispheres. Darn you autocorrect!

Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

So now we have 4/5 tuners but still can only buffer 1 tuner?  When is that going to change?  The old box would buffer 2 and of all the numerous issues with the X1, this one is at or near the top.

We are tracking this feature request (more than 1 buffer) but at this point, we do not have a timeline for its availability.

Regular Contributor

Re: Caller ID On Screen

@captainvideojw wrote:

PairDoc "I added Comcast voice (telephone) service last week, at which time we upgraded our legacy boxes to X1 boxes. I was trying to get the Caller ID option to work onscreen (on the TV), but was unsuccessful despite having the option enabled on the X1 box. After a lengthy conversation with Xfinity tech support, I was told that despite having the ability to have Caller ID display on the TV, the option was not enabled on my account. I was transferred to Sales, who had to enable this option, allowing this feature to now work correctly. For what it's worth, I was told by sales that this option is NOT enabled by default - a specific request must be made by the customer to activate it (despite there not being an additonal charge for the service)."

Same thing today. I had voice installed. Caller ID On Screen wasn't working inspite of all settings turned on my end. Tech didn't know. I had already ready PairDoc's post and was prepared. Called Sales,"Ah some how it wasn't added to your order. I will add it", the rep said. Waiting for the tech to close his order and hopefully the change will take place.

Kara, please notify sales that they need to be aware of this. Thank you!

thanks for your post, captainvideojw. I've escalated this issue to our Sales and Product Management teams. 

Silver Problem Solver

Will the newest gateways work with X1?  I'm referring to the DPC3939 and TC8706C from this link:

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Caller ID On Screen still not working. Frustrated. This is the only reason I switched from Vonage. ;(
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

@PAIRdoc wrote:

Well, I think I set a new record for time spent on the phone with Comcast (at least a personal record - perhaps not a "world" record) - 255 minutes!! What a complete waste of time! We have only had X1 for a week now, and although the interface and features are nice, it sort of feels like we are beta testers. We are also new to Comcast voice.

- Reporting the DVR outage and button-response sluggishness that occurred last night (couldn't get through last night; I see it is also reported on this forum, which will now be my first goto source). I hope such outages are the exception rather than the rule.

- Spontaneous resetting of X1 box preferences for screen resolution and surround sound.

- Trying to get two remotes sent to me, because the installer last week only had one (we have three boxes), and we are 45 minutes from the nearest Comcast center.

The person I was dealing with must have been new. I was trying to be very patient, but she was just inappropriately slow and completely unhelpful. Don't these people have any training? Being an engineer, I ultimately lost my patience and requested speaking with a supervisor after two hours of this nonsense. He had to transfer me to sales to get my Caller ID onscreen feature activated. Sales transferred me to X1 support to get the remotes mailed out - disconnected. Called back - X1 told me it was sales who had to mail out remotes. Back to sales - they told me I needed to talk to X1 - endless loop! I finally got someone slightly knowedgable from X1 (thank you, Kelly) who conferenced in sales, and made sure they completed the request for the remotes properly.

It is so frustrating dealing with Comcast! It unconscionable that such a large, multibillion dollar corporation can allow such abysmal customer service. I wish they could create a system where the right hand and left hand were better coordinated, and that the personnel were properly trained. I doubt that Ed Snider would put up with such mismanagement if he were only on the customer end to see how things operate from this side of the fence. Perhaps a good opportunity for an Undercover Boss episode?

Well, I'm back on the phone with Comcast again, wasting even more time.

As noted above, I requested that two XR2 remotes be sent to me by Comcast, because the installer who installed 3 X1 boxes for us last week only had one remote. He told me to go to the local Comcast office and get two more, but since the nearest office is 45 minutes away, it wasn't convenient. He told me that Comcast would send them to me on request, which is what I did earlier this week, on my "marathon" phone call to them.

After getting bounced around multiple times between tech support and sales/billing (each of whom stated the other was responsible for dispensing XR2 remotes), I finally had an X1 rep conference in a sales rep. He stopped the sales rep from transferring the call back to tech support and told him that he WAS tech support, and that the sales dept had to issue the remotes. He finally figured out how to do so, and we specified the XR2 remotes (or XR5 remotes, if they had them). He made the appropriate notations and request.

The remotes came today - two grey ones with red OK/Select buttons, but NOT XR2's!! Once again, more incompetence and more wasted time. How is it possible that a company can be managed so poorly? I spoke with sales, who told me I had to speak with tech support, so I asked to speak with his supervisor. Now on hold for about 25 minutes. I'm about to hang up - I just can't waste any more time. I guess I'll just use the one remote we have and transfer it from room to room as needed until I find the time and energy to deal with Comcast by phone again or maybe venture out to one of their centers if they're open on weekends. Totally frustrated!

There is only one certainty my experience thus far has revealed - Comcast is consistent...

Regular Contributor

@PAIRdoc wrote:

@PAIRdoc wrote:

As noted above, I requested that two XR2 remotes be sent to me by Comcast, because the installer who installed 3 X1 boxes for us last week only had one remote. He told me to go to the local Comcast office and get two more, but since the nearest office is 45 minutes away, it wasn't convenient. He told me that Comcast would send them to me on request, which is what I did earlier this week, on my "marathon" phone call to them.

After getting bounced around multiple times between tech support and sales/billing (each of whom stated the other was responsible for dispensing XR2 remotes), I finally had an X1 rep conference in a sales rep. He stopped the sales rep from transferring the call back to tech support and told him that he WAS tech support, and that the sales dept had to issue the remotes. He finally figured out how to do so, and we specified the XR2 remotes (or XR5 remotes, if they had them). He made the appropriate notations and request.

The remotes came today - two grey ones with red OK/Select buttons, but NOT XR2's!! Once again, more incompetence and more wasted time. How is it possible that a company can be managed so poorly? I spoke with sales, who told me I had to speak with tech support, so I asked to speak with his supervisor. Now on hold for about 25 minutes. I'm about to hang up - I just can't waste any more time. I guess I'll just use the one remote we have and transfer it from room to room as needed until I find the time and energy to deal with Comcast by phone again or maybe venture out to one of their centers if they're open on weekends. Totally frustrated!

There is only one certainty my experience thus far has revealed - Comcast is consistent...

I am sending you a PM to gather your account information. I will escalate this asap - you should have received the remotes during installation. 

Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:
Caller ID On Screen still not working. Frustrated. This is the only reason I switched from Vonage. ;(

Captrainvideojw - I will send you a PM to gather account details. I want to confirm it was added it your account correctly. 

Also - please confirm that the "Caller ID Notifcation" is turned on. Go to Settings -> Preferences -> Notifations -> Call ID Notification. 

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Will the newest gateways work with X1?  I'm referring to the DPC3939 and TC8706C from this link:

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

The X1 Platform set-top boxes have their own dedicated DOCSIS gateways built into each device, and are independent of the gateway used for general internet access in the home. They do not interact with each other, so generally speaking, yes, they will work with X1 Platform devices also installed in a home.

Regular Contributor

Re: ON SCREEN CALLER ID

Not working on any of my X1 boxes. Can you do anything? Support has been of no help.
Frequent Visitor

Guide Filter - TV Channel Favorites

I really am enjoying my new X1 Box, we have had around 2 weeks now, but a huge disapointment is the Guide filter for TV channel favorites.  I can add Favorite channels, no problem however what I want to do is turn on my X1 each day and not have to select through the Guide filter (sometimes multiple times each day)  my favorites each time. 

I ALWAYS want to view the Guide with my favorites, there are too many channels that I dont want to see.  Also having converted from Dish I have to say that we previously had the ability to not only permanently set up favorite channels but to set them up for each family member.  This enhancement is really needed soon to make viewing functional.  Can an option be added so that I can set this up permanently please?

Also how can we find out when updates will come out for the X1 and what will be in them?  Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Surround 5.1

I have had no more issues with Surround Sound reverting to Stereo since I installed the Gefen HDMI box between my AVR and X1.  So I'm about positive that all of us who experience this are using an HDMI chain from X1 to AVR to TV - and the TV and/or AVR handshake is telling the X1 that only Stereo is supported by the TV.

It would be nice if the Surround/Stereo setting was persistent and not dependent on the HDMI handshake - the Gefen workaround I have used is not something ordinary customers are likely to want to do.

Comcast, please consider a change for this behavior if possible.

Regular Contributor

Re: Guide Filter - TV Channel Favorites

@PamX1USR wrote:

I really am enjoying my new X1 Box, we have had around 2 weeks now, but a huge disapointment is the Guide filter for TV channel favorites.  I can add Favorite channels, no problem however what I want to do is turn on my X1 each day and not have to select through the Guide filter (sometimes multiple times each day)  my favorites each time. 

I ALWAYS want to view the Guide with my favorites, there are too many channels that I dont want to see.  Also having converted from Dish I have to say that we previously had the ability to not only permanently set up favorite channels but to set them up for each family member.  This enhancement is really needed soon to make viewing functional.  Can an option be added so that I can set this up permanently please?

Also how can we find out when updates will come out for the X1 and what will be in them?  Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your post, PamX1USR. I shared your comments with product management team. Enhancements to the favorites functionality is currently under consideration for a future release. Please keep any suggestions or issues coming!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, ComcastKarat!  I hope that works. 

And did you say issues?  Well coincidently I do have an issue, 2 days ago I received a second remote that I had requested (and my account was charged for) since my husband and myself both like to use one in our living room.  But instead of it being the XR2, it was a big silver remote.  We dont live close by a Comcast Center, can you help get me the right remote?

Contributor

Which button on the remote for the X1 enables skip forward and backward by day in the channel guide? If not, there is not one, there needs to be.

New Poster

I really wish this box would have lived up to its potential. I had it for three months, and tried my hardest to deal with the constant freezing. I feel like I had it as an issue more than others.

2 X1 boxes. Both would freeze, up to 8 times in an hour,  called support numerous times. Same result. I didn't want a cable box that required me to get up and unplug it and await reset during EVERY show. Or have to sit there and wait up to 30 minutes before the box would realize I was trying to do something.

Towards the end of my 3 months, not only was it still freezing. But I began to get shots of static scroll from top to bottom on my TV's. Initially I thought, well maybe it was my connection, but it occurred on both TV's one connected with HDMI the other with coaxial cable. Comcast is lucky they received these boxes back in one piece.

really wanted this box to work, but couldn't deal with the ongoing issues, maybe I will have them come back out and reinstall them later on down the line, but I hate that I was a test dummy for this.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

The X1 Platform set-top boxes have their own dedicated DOCSIS gateways built into each device, and are independent of the gateway used for general internet access in the home. They do not interact with each other, so generally speaking, yes, they will work with X1 Platform devices also installed in a home.

Wow!  I hadn't heard that until now (obviously). Guess I overlooked it in all the web sites I read about the X1 platform.  Thanks for that information, Kara.  It makes me look at the X1 in a different light.

Contributor

Feature setting suggestion:

• Ability to have a screen saver when the box is off. Like how it turns on when you're not using the menus for a certain period of time. Well have that same screen savor once the box goes off.
Regular Contributor

With AnyRoom DVR supposedly coming soon, I think it's especially important for external hard drives to be supported. The 500GB internal drive is inadequate, especially with all those tuners and recording possibilities.

I hope you can make this a priority. Thank you!
Silver Problem Solver

Got my XR5 remote delivered yesterday.  I went to the xfinity remote support page and didn't find any reference to an XR5.  It only talked about XR2 R1 and R2.  The remotes that came with my X1 STB's are all U2, not R1 or R2.  I'm guessing the U2 version is the same as the XR5 version R1 I have.  The programming instructions for the R2 says it supports an AVR, which my XR5 R1 seems to do.

So, the only difference I can see between my old XR2 version U2 and the XR5 version R1 is the backlighting and better fit and finish. Total cost with shipping was $24.94.  I'm going to keep it so my wife and I can each have a remote.

Just an FYI: when I turn off my Onkyo AVR, it automatically turns off my Samsung TV.  So, when I use the master power switch on my XR2/XR5, my STB, AVR, and TV are turned off.  I use my Onkyo remote to change sources, like from Comcast to my PS/3 or my 3D DVR.  I don't need any more buttons on my XR2/XR5.  Maybe one day Comcast will offer a true universal remote. Hmm. Naw, they don't want to take business away from Logitech. Smiley Wink 

Frequent Visitor

@screenname137 wrote:

I have had no more issues with Surround Sound reverting to Stereo since I installed the Gefen HDMI box between my AVR and X1.  So I'm about positive that all of us who experience this are using an HDMI chain from X1 to AVR to TV - and the TV and/or AVR handshake is telling the X1 that only Stereo is supported by the TV.

It would be nice if the Surround/Stereo setting was persistent and not dependent on the HDMI handshake - the Gefen workaround I have used is not something ordinary customers are likely to want to do.

I wonder if the HDMI handshake can explain the reversion of the screen resolution from 1080p to 720p, too (which I think is the default setting). It has been a real pain to continually change the resolution and the audio setting back to the preferred settings on a daily basis. I imagine the Gefen box would solve the problem, but it's not cheap, as you indicated.

Regular Contributor

@PAIRdoc wrote:

@screenname137 wrote:

I wonder if the HDMI handshake can explain the reversion of the screen resolution from 1080p to 720p, too (which I think is the default setting). It has been a real pain to continually change the resolution and the audio setting back to the preferred settings on a daily basis. I imagine the Gefen box would solve the problem, but it's not cheap, as you indicated.

I have not seen that issue but it sounds similar.  I have my AVR set to Auto and the TV is fixed 1080i - can't do anything else, so I suspect it always tells the "chain" to use 1080i.  It may be that people with more capabilities and newer TVs have issues - and something like the Gefen box may help or not - HDMI can be tricky.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

Features:

I picked up one of these.  For just watching TV, I find it handier than the Harmony 900 - it turns on/off my AVR/TV/X1 - this should be the standard remote - the one without backlighting is useless at night.

Silver Problem Solver

@screenname137 wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

Features:

I picked up one of these.  For just watching TV, I find it handier than the Harmony 900 - it turns on/off my AVR/TV/X1 - this should be the standard remote - the one without backlighting is useless at night.

Because my Onkyo AVR has "RIHD", when it is turned off, it also turns off my Samsung 3D LED TV.  But because the X1 box is not "RIHD" the Onkyo can't turn it off or on.  Maybe Onkyo will add the X1 to its supported devices some day.  My XR5 version R2 will turn off the AVR when it turns off the X1, which in turn turns off the TV.  I still have to use the Onkyo remote to turn on and off my Blu-ray DVD player and my PS/3.

My XR2 version U2 will do the same thing the XR5 version R2 does.  So the only benefit I get with the XR5 is backlighting.

Regular Contributor

@texascavediver wrote:

Which button on the remote for the X1 enables skip forward and backward by day in the channel guide? If not, there is not one, there needs to be.

texascavediver - thanks for your post. X1 currently does not support "skip by day" in the guide, however this is a common feature request and is under consideration for a future enhancement. 

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@screenname137 wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

XR5 Remote Now Available

Features:

Because my Onkyo AVR has "RIHD", when it is turned off, it also turns off my Samsung 3D LED TV.  But because the X1 box is not "RIHD" the Onkyo can't turn it off or on.  Maybe Onkyo will add the X1 to its supported devices some day.  My XR5 version R2 will turn off the AVR when it turns off the X1, which in turn turns off the TV.  I still have to use the Onkyo remote to turn on and off my Blu-ray DVD player and my PS/3.

My XR2 version U2 will do the same thing the XR5 version R2 does.  So the only benefit I get with the XR5 is backlighting.

Exactly - the backlighting is the only functional difference - although paramount when watching in low/no light.  I'm pretty sure Kara pointed that out a few posts back - at least, I was not expecting it to be anything more based on the information posted.

The included instructions are incomplete however - there's nothing about AVR codes or setup.  Thankfully the original X1 delivery documentation covered it - identical to the XR2.

Contributor

The next version of the remote really should have a button for turning the aux / stereo on and off.  I often have a need for that feature and it would be nice if I could do it from the Comcast remote.

Bronze Problem Solver

@MeatAssassin wrote:

The next version of the remote really should have a button for turning the aux / stereo on and off.  I often have a need for that feature and it would be nice if I could do it from the Comcast remote.

The X1 remotes I have turn on the STB, TV and my Bose receiver.  Shuts them off too.

Contributor

It will turn them all off / on at the same time.  But sometimes the stereo or cable box doesn't turn on and then I have to use my old remote to do one of them individually.

Bronze Problem Solver

I understand.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@PAIRdoc wrote:

@PAIRdoc wrote:

I am sending you a PM to gather your account information. I will escalate this asap - you should have received the remotes during installation. 

Well, looks like Comcast/Xfinity finally came through. Today, without any scheduled appointment, Jose from Comcast dropped off two XR2 remotes for us. Now we don't have to share one between our three sets - yay!

Thanks for making this happen!

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKaraT

In follow-up to your post re issues a few days ago I received a second remote that I had requested (and my account was charged for) since my husband and myself both like to use one in our living room.  But instead of it being the XR2, it was a big silver remote.  We dont live close by a Comcast Center, can you help get me the right remote?

New Poster

I'm getting an error when trying to tune HGTV on my X1 DVR. Each time I attempt to change there I get the message
"Tuning Error. Temporarily unable to tune..." I am however able to tune to this station on my non dvr x1 box.
I already rebooted. Any ideas?