Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

It's the same identical remote except it's backlit so you can see the keys in the dark. For what we pay Comcast, it should be the standard remote that they give out with the X1 boxes instead of charging for it.

Problem Solver

OK, I see.  I looks like a "back-lit" version of the one I have now (XR2).  I'll have to take a trip to the local Comcast store to see if there are any other differences.  Although it claims to be ergonomical, the XR2 is not (to me).  The buttons are too small and too close together for my large hands and I wish the buttons were more distinctive by touch.  If this XR5 correct those issues, it would be worth it to me.  Maybe the back-lit feature alone makes it worthwhile.

Diamond Problem Solver

Its only available online not through the service centers

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Its the same identical remote, just backlit

Frequent Visitor

I see in the description it has "Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute".  That would be a big improvement over the XR2, which can't do both an AV receiver and tv.  Does anyone have one who can confirm this feature is there and working on the XR5?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

paul1845ga wrote:

I see in the description it has "Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute".  That would be a big improvement over the XR2, which can't do both an AV receiver and tv.  Does anyone have one who can confirm this feature is there and working on the XR5?

The XR2 remote can control on/off/mute for an A/V receiver.  Use the following to set it up:

Version R2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV and an additional audio device such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote. To program version R2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions above to program the remote to control your TV. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture's codes found here for step 3. Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

New Poster

Re: x1 box

"possible future enhancement"? This is probably the most desired itm on the list. The rest come with use and understanding of this new system, but being able to skip by day is essential to include.

Regular Contributor

@mxylprt wrote:

"possible future enhancement"? This is probably the most desired itm on the list. The rest come with use and understanding of this new system, but being able to skip by day is essential to include.

This has been the number one complaint for over a year.  It is clear that there will be no change until the X2 system is released.  And even then there is no guarantee that Comcast is paying attention.  I'm happy that most of the bugs are out of my system.  We'll see how the upgrades to the next xfinity is handled.  I'm hoping that it will be thoroughly tested.  I'm not anxious to be another beta tester.  

Gold Problem Solver

@mars21 wrote:

@mxylprt wrote:

This has been the number one complaint for over a year.  It is clear that there will be no change until the X2 system is released.  And even then there is no guarantee that Comcast is paying attention.  I'm happy that most of the bugs are out of my system.  We'll see how the upgrades to the next xfinity is handled.  I'm hoping that it will be thoroughly tested.  I'm not anxious to be another beta tester.  

mars21,

I was just told earlier this week by a person that is in a position to know that X2 is NOT a new STB. It is an update/upgrade to the existing X1 boxes. Will there be a new box at some point? I am sure there will be. However at the time of X2 launch there will not be. I reread the news release from Comcast about the X2 launch and I thought it was extremely vague. But no where in the release did I see a direct and conclusive statement that there was going to be a new X2 box at the time of launch.

PEACE ALL.

RG in MSP

Bronze Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

I was just told earlier this week by a person that is in a position to know that X2 is NOT a new STB. It is an update/upgrade to the existing X1 boxes. Will there be a new box at some point? I am sure there will be. However at the time of X2 launch there will not be. I reread the news release from Comcast about the X2 launch and I thought it was extremely vague. But no where in the release did I see a direct and conclusive statement that there was going to be a new X2 box at the time of launch.

PEACE ALL.

RG in MSP

RG - check out the video from Comcast CEO - new box is shown at the 2:40 minute mark.  May not be available at the launch of X2 but sure sounds like it'll be available.  Has a voice remote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNomkyoaE

Diamond Problem Solver

Probably a prototype

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

@manamok wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

PEACE ALL.

RG in MSP

RG - check out the video from Comcast CEO - new box is shown at the 2:40 minute mark.  May not be available at the launch of X2 but sure sounds like it'll be available.  Has a voice remote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNomkyoaE

manamok,

Yes I noticed the "XI-3" mention. I have no doubt there is a newer STB in the pipeline. Please note I believe he called it an "engineering sample". I am intriqued that he said it was four times faster but four times faster than what? Previous press releases about X1 and X2 have been vague in the past. From an equipment and implimentation standpoint Mr. Roberts speech was very vague. I don't think I heard Mr. Roberts commit to there being a new STB.

Also, please know that I am simply relaying what I was told by a person who is very much in a position to know exactly what is going on. I still think the X2 roll out will be both a new STB and upgrades to the current X1 boxes. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they would put X1 boxes in the field only to obsolete them within one year. I believe the current X1 box with the new remote can do everything we saw in the presentation.

Just one man's humble opinion.

PEACE ALL.

Rick G from MSP

Diamond Problem Solver

There's definitely more coming check out the dpc 3939 gateway, it has moca capability so there's going to definitely be communicating between the boxes and the gateway in the future

Bronze Problem Solver

RG - I agree - I have been told several times by Comcast people that the X2 will reside on the X1 box and users will get to decide where their recordings will reside - on the box or in the cloud.  I've also been told that, in addition to the X1 boxes, there will be a new box without a DVR and cloud storage only.  The box referenced in the video would seem to fit the bill.

I won't be jumping in either direction until I see what the early adopters in the forum have to say.

Contributor

In the meantime boys and girls, my...oops, darn, sorry,  X1 still doesn't record shows (I wonder if it is just ones this particular box doesn't like), still has a buggy guide that freezes, still refuses to keep old deleted shows erased, and so many other things.

Its a shame they can't focus their attention on we who are their installed base rather than pipe dreams.

Contributor

I experienced numerous problems with my X1 box for more than a month.  I was eventually successful in getting a technician to come out and replace one of my two boxes.  That did the trick, except X1 thought my old box still existed.  In other words, I had two DVR entries, both labeled "Living Room."  The problem is that my recordings were not happening.  They were apparently being dispatched to the phatom X1 "Living Room" box.  I changed the name of my new box to "Samsung" but that still didn't fix the problem.  I contacted The X1 Technical Support hotline at 877-896-8678 and they generated a Ticket.  But like all my prior experiences with the X1 Support Tickets, nothing got fixed.

After contacting Comcast via email at: "comcast cares" <comcast_cares@comcast.com>, a local Comcast customer service rep called me and was able to get the necessary resources in place to correct my issues.

Contributor

I noticed an improvement change with my X1 remote recently (at least I think it's a new feature).

If you press the down arrow on the remote, navigable icons appear at the bottom of the screen that provide you with an alternate method for forward, reverse, closed-caption, etc.  One of those buttons allows you to move to the beginning of the recording.  Another button scrolls forward 5 minutes.

Hopefully, new functionality will soon be forthcoming to allow the guide to be navigated a day-at-a-time. 

BTW, another undocumented feature I have found is that the "D" key on the remote allows you to delete recordings.

Regular Contributor

@manamok wrote:

RG - I agree - I have been told several times by Comcast people that the X2 will reside on the X1 box and users will get to decide where their recordings will reside - on the box or in the cloud.  I've also been told that, in addition to the X1 boxes, there will be a new box without a DVR and cloud storage only.  The box referenced in the video would seem to fit the bill.

I won't be jumping in either direction until I see what the early adopters in the forum have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=snjNomkyoaE

This is a video presentation for the x2.  If it works as shown it's pretty neat. I wish more time was spent showning navigating the guide, but hopefully they addressed those issues,

Frequent Visitor

Ray, can you please elaborate on your configuration using the HDMI switch to play Blu Ray?

My configuration consists of a single X1 (closet install) HDMI out to an HDMI powered splitter to three TV's; all seeing the same program.  I have tried utilizing one of the HDMI inputs behind the X1 but the signal is not being detected.  I like your idea as I'm already up loading the player, one more switch would not be an issue.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

My X1 DVR has a USB port in the front, if I plug in a USB flash drive will it improve performance? This is the case with my WIFI Blu-Ray player. If so what size USB flash drive is best?

Frequent Visitor

Why can't I program my X1 DVR from my laptop like I could with my old DVR?

Frequent Visitor

My X1 DVR sometimes does not record programs it is set to record, even when there is no conflict? Also on several occasions it recorded programs and when I watched them it would get to the midle and then go back to the beginning?????? Red recording light is not reliable!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Mine is programmable from my laptop, if your referrimg to setting up recordings.

@serpico8881 wrote:

Regular Contributor

I have the X1 DVR box in the living room and a Satellite box in the bedroom. Can I pair the bedroom remote to the bedroom satellite box so that it use RF like the DVR box in the living room?

Problem Solver

@serpico8881 wrote:

Sign into the Xfinity web site and you can manage recordings with the "DVR Manager":  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/dvr

If you click on the "Watch on TV' tab, you can control your TV as well and it has a much better programming schedule display (in my opinion).  This feature was completely new to me and I only learned about it by reading this forum.  The Comcast folks should publicize this more widely because it really is very useful. I use my laptop almost exclusively now.

Diamond Problem Solver

No only the dvr has that capability

Diamond Problem Solver

Serpico, if its a new install it takes a couple days to show

Frequent Visitor

Every time I shut the secondary box off, I have to "reboot". This takes 7 minutes. They came and brought a new box; no difference; still "rebooting" every time I shut the box off. And they call this acceptable service. OWN is not broadcast in HD; while other cable companies do broadcast in HD. Every day I am more and more disappointed in Comcast. I will await an X1 MAJOR update in December. If no improvement, I am switching to AT&T.
Diamond Problem Solver

Cc1205 the boxes are meant to stay on

Frequent Visitor

I do leave the box on. I just hit little tv button; top left on remote and have to "reboot" every time. Living room with main box works fine. Just the secondary box is a HUGE disappointment. 2nd technician and national comcast repair say I have to await major update in December. Pretty crappy, don't you think?
Regular Contributor

@macname wrote:

I noticed an improvement change with my X1 remote recently (at least I think it's a new feature).

If you press the down arrow on the remote, navigable icons appear at the bottom of the screen that provide you with an alternate method for forward, reverse, closed-caption, etc.  One of those buttons allows you to move to the beginning of the recording.  Another button scrolls forward 5 minutes.

Hopefully, new functionality will soon be forthcoming to allow the guide to be navigated a day-at-a-time. 

BTW, another undocumented feature I have found is that the "D" key on the remote allows you to delete recordings.

Sorry to ruin your excitement, but those are not new features. Both of those options have been available since the X1 started rolling out.

Frequent Visitor

I have a PA PR150BNM box and I have it behind my TV. It does not seem to work with my IR repeater. Does it require a certain type of IR repeater? Will this box work with a RF remote? Need help, could not find a manual online for this box any suggestions

Tags (1)
Contributor

Alright, here we go with 'if its broke, fix----but don't break it more.'

Firmware 4928 showed up the morning before yesterday and the vote is in----we took a big step backward. The menu is flaky again, stalling, flying ahead, but like before, once again it just freezes for moments at at time.

Too, the DVR has a new quirk; it recorded an hour long show in two parts, one part for 8 minutes and one part for 8 seconds. Then again, it still refuses to record some shows randomly.

So, if some big new improvement is supposed to rollout in December, that may be the last straw.

Regular Contributor

@mmuscat01 wrote:

I have a PA PR150BNM box and I have it behind my TV. It does not seem to work with my IR repeater. Does it require a certain type of IR repeater? Will this box work with a RF remote? Need help, could not find a manual online for this box any suggestions

On the back of the remote, there are instructions on how to make the remote RF. Give that a shot.

Frequent Visitor

on the x1 when i type a channel number in i get that channel along with a list of suggestions.  i then have to hit enter to get to the channel i want.  is there any way just to go directly to the channel once the number is entered?

New Poster

Yet another bizzare feature. It should turn off. We turn ours off all the time. I hate it being on. Waste of power however little it takes. It turns on fine each day. You just have to press the power button to turn it full off.
Regular Contributor

@mxylprt wrote:
Yet another bizzare feature. It should turn off. We turn ours off all the time. I hate it being on. Waste of power however little it takes. It turns on fine each day. You just have to press the power button to turn it full off.

I understand the "out of sync" thinking as to why the box doesn't turn off but hopefully they'll add an adjustment in the settings for those of us who want the box to shut off.I think the other reason they want it on is so they can send updates but I figure they'll come through when you turn it back on.

Problem Solver

@cldlhd wrote:

@mxylprt wrote:

I understand the "out of sync" thinking as to why the box doesn't turn off but hopefully they'll add an adjustment in the settings for those of us who want the box to shut off.I think the other reason they want it on is so they can send updates but I figure they'll come through when you turn it back on.

there still a way

right below screen saver setting is power saver,it shut off the box when the remote is not use for the hours you set it to.

Regular Contributor

maybe ill try it again but the first time I used the power saver feature-when I first got the X1- when I turned it back on in the morning my dvr was out of serviceuntil I rebooted the box but maybe now it'll be more stable

New Poster

I just had X1 installed and this puppy has gone backwards about 2 centuries as it relates to searching. With the old system I could pull up golf, for instance, in about 10 secs and immediately know everything golf. Now I go thru about 8 steps, type in golf like I had a flip phone and learn next to nothing. Unless I'm missing something this is a major step backwards.
New Poster

So furstrated with the marginal service and horrible comcast support!

X1 sucks.

Anyone know if you can down-grade to the old platform?

Not as sexy but was more reliable.

I'm now going to see if I have a descent sightline for a satellite service.

New Poster

I dont know why you would want this with all the issues that are being posted. this platform does not work 

New Poster

More boxes now for less money. It does work just it is like using WebTV. It acts like a computer and the installer even told me they were still training techs on it because there was precious little knowledge. I'll take the present quirks for less money. But they really didn't think some things, lime the guide, through at all.

Frequent Visitor

I am still having problem with progaming from my laptop and smart phone (Android) it goes through the whole process and says it is programed, but it never appears on the X1 DVR main box? I always used this with my old DVR without a hitch Smiley Sad

ALSO on the front of the new X1 DVR box there is a USB port, will installing an 8-16 GB USB drive improve performance the way it does on my Blue-Ray WiFi player?

Bronze Problem Solver

@serpico8881 wrote:

ALSO on the front of the new X1 DVR box there is a USB port, will installing an 8-16 GB USB drive improve performance the way it does on my Blue-Ray WiFi player?

The USB port on the X1 isn't currently activated.

Diamond Problem Solver

Serpico, it can sometimes take a couple of business days for the boxes to show up on accounts, keep trying

Frequent Visitor

Larry, why do I keep getting e-mails that have nothing to do with my posted problems?

None of the several problems I have posted has been answered !!!!!

Regular Contributor

serpico8881 wrote:

Larry, why do I keep getting e-mails that have nothing to do with my posted problems?

None of the several problems I have posted has been answered !!!!!

Serpico,

This is a user forum, not a help line.  Larry will not fly down from heaven to help you.  Users try to help other users.  It is poorly organized but if you read above you will see that your questions have been addressed by other kind users.  This does not excuse Comcast for the poor roll out performance of the X1 but this is really not the place to rant.  You're preaching to the choir as they say.

New Poster

DVR Message: Recordings not available on this box

Every couple of days I get a bunch of recordings which are not available to watch.  I get the message in the subject line next to the recordins, when you select them there is a message that says "Living Box may be unplugged".   When my X1 box was first installed it was named "Living Room", after a problem for which I called Comcast the box was renamed Great Room.   When I go into settings there is no Living Room box.  The recordings are all recordings which were set up as series recordings when the box was named Living Room.     Since Living Room is no longer an option on the box I don't know how to stop these recordings.   Any ideas?

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Message: Recordings not available on this box

@mmarhcs wrote:

Every couple of days I get a bunch of recordings which are not available to watch.  I get the message in the subject line next to the recordins, when you select them there is a message that says "Living Box may be unplugged".   When my X1 box was first installed it was named "Living Room", after a problem for which I called Comcast the box was renamed Great Room.   When I go into settings there is no Living Room box.  The recordings are all recordings which were set up as series recordings when the box was named Living Room.     Since Living Room is no longer an option on the box I don't know how to stop these recordings.   Any ideas?

You can rename the X1, so maybe rename it back to Living Room, unplug/plug in, see if you can get access to the recordings you need to stop, then rename back to Great Room?