Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

X1 is not ready for primetime.  At best, it's a beta product.

While watching last night's Patriots game my unit decided to reboot at the crucial moment in the 4th quarter immediately after Atlanta had scored and brought the game to within 1 touchdown with just minutes to play.

The night before I was watching a program on the DVR when suddenly the screen turned to greyish black.  As I tried to get the program to resume, my TV began playing multiple DVR programs simultaneously on the screen.

If, as you're watching a ballgame that you are recording, you try to extend the recording because you know it's going to run over, there's no way to do that. For programs that are not "live" events, you have the option of extending by 1, 3 or 5 minutes.  So, there's no way to extend all of the programs that are broadcast after a ball game that runs late. 

It's unfathomable that there's no easy way to move through the program guide one day at a time.  My old DVRs had a "+" and "-" button to scroll forward or backward one day at time. 

While X1 has promising features, such as recording multiple programs at the same time, it currently has so many deficiencies and bugs, it's just not worth it.  It's generous to refer to X1 as a version 1 product.  It's more like v0.8.

Contributor

Andrew,

All our box would allow when setting up a recording and then going back to modify it (as we tried to do when the Jets game ran long on CBS was the ability to start the recording one or two minutes early and\or up to five minutes over. I just looked at an episode of "Bones" both as a series and an individual show and it was the same as I describe.

Unless there's some other way that we don't know about, I can't imagine why we aren't getting the extended times you mentioned

Wait a minute.....we just checked the online DVR manager and you are absolutey right. So, why would the additional times be available online, but not on the actual DVR menu? 

Does Comcast expect you to have a computer at hand nearby all the time in order to make full use of your X1?

What if you didn't have a computer?

Diamond Problem Solver

no but a box is supposed to pop up for live sporting events to extend it 30,60,90 minutes. Maybe the dvr was being merciful to Jets fans lol

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

@RobertCoplin wrote:

Well over 30 tv shows that the X1 deleted by itself in the past few weeks have all of a sudden returned as it went from 39% full to 55% full overnight so Comcast might be getting their act together.

Now why do I doubt that?

Has to be by accident.

New Poster

Has anyone noticed that the XI box is incredibly slow if not flat out unresponsive at night?  This just seemed to start popping up in the last ten days or so.  

New Poster

Has anyone noticed that the XI box is incredibly slow if not flat out unresponsive at night?  This just seemed to start popping up in the last ten days or so.  You cant change the channel, bring up the menu, DVR or anything.  Well you can...it will eventually pop up on its own, and then go through every button push you tried.  

Frequent Visitor

Best Output Resolution Setting?

Any recommendations on what output resolution to use? I see the X1 can do 1080p60, but since no network broadcasts that high, I've been keeping it at 1080i. Is there some 1080p content out there I may have missed, or is this just future proofing?

Also, if any Comcast folks are reading this, I'd like to suggest adding an option to output in native video formats. My old DirecTV box did this, so if I switched on ABC/ESPN, the resolution would drop to 720p, standard def would go to 480i, and so forth. IMO, watching TV in its native resolution without any sort of upconversion makes the picture quality so much better.
New Poster

Re: X1 Fan is LOUD, any way to turn it off?

Just wondered if this has been fixed because mine just woke me up and I was afraid the box was going to blow up. It's the first time I noticed the noise and I've had the box only a couple days. Is the noise intermittent?
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Record Ligth Problem Returns

After about a week of working correctly, meaning the light went off eventually, not when the recording ended, the record light has returned to the "always on" mode. Wonder if I was lucky or the fix didn't last?

Regular Visitor

Yes, the X1 box is VERY slow in the evenings.  It doesn't respond to key commands, although the light blinks every time a button is depressed.  Then...  it catches up - but then becomes even more unresponsive.  It took about 20 seconds to respond at one point.  

I figured I do a power cycle - if I remembered - which I didn't.  

Dave

Contributor

My box just updated this morning.

It still shows the same firmware version (4816).

My red recording light is out. 

We laboriously erased all our deleted shows and yet the DVR still shows as being 34 % full with only about ten HD hour long shows being in queue.

That's still not right.

Regular Contributor

@MikeBravo wrote:

Well, the recording bug finally hit us.

We tried to record Torchwood and even though the red dots appeared next to it in the program guide (but it wasn't in our scheduled recordings) it didn't record.

Then, last night, we went to adjust the recording time for the Mentalist because football ran over by fifteen minutes, but discovered that the most we could extend our recording was five minutes.

When will these things be fixed!

The best way I have found to extend programs longer then 5 minutes is to use the online DVR Manager. You can still extend all programs by up to 2 hours. I usually extend CBS by 1 hour on Sunday nights just in case football goes over, and it usually does if there is an afternoon game.

Regular Contributor

Re: Best Output Resolution Setting?

@spam33 wrote:
Any recommendations on what output resolution to use? I see the X1 can do 1080p60, but since no network broadcasts that high, I've been keeping it at 1080i. Is there some 1080p content out there I may have missed, or is this just future proofing?

Also, if any Comcast folks are reading this, I'd like to suggest adding an option to output in native video formats. My old DirecTV box did this, so if I switched on ABC/ESPN, the resolution would drop to 720p, standard def would go to 480i, and so forth. IMO, watching TV in its native resolution without any sort of upconversion makes the picture quality so much better.

If your TV can handle 1080p, then setting the resolution to 1080p, the X1 will upconvert the signal to 1080p.

Bronze Problem Solver

@spam33 wrote:

If your TV is capable of 1080p then setting the resolution to 1080p is a good choice since the box upscales the picture to that level.  The improvement is noticeable on my Panasonic plasma.

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment -favorites missing

I noticed last night my favorites are all gone. The guide was also a little buggy. When I would expand the guide to full screen (guide button hit twice) the guide would start at channel 2 and not start at the channel your currently viewing. The guide issue fixed itself after Idid a reboot . but iI still don't have my favorites. I'm not sure if there was a recent update. I'll look later tonight. I'm in south nj.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Anyone still having the problem of DVR resetting back to 720P at night ? Mine just

started doing it, I thought it was fixed previously.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

We have a new update (Sept 11) Go to the device settings and about section to update.  

ALOT of fixes.  Record Red light is fixed.  The User Interface is much tighter and snappier.  The Grey screen freeze when exiting apps is fixed.  That's all my can find for now but it looks like a major update. It also took longer to download . 

Post any new fixes you may see here.. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Added headlines app

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Did the update this morning around 2 am
still have the red light problem. .Smiley Sad
New Poster

apparently there are some UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES on the X1 remote.

I had the X1 platform installed two weeks ago and was quite dismayed when the remote suported ony the cable box and the tv. i ranted, raved, held my breath til i was blue in the face and told the comcast tech that my favorite feature on the old remote was the "all on/off" with the added ability to control my sound box volume. the tech insisted the new remote design was to simplify it.

after i pouted for a while the tech made a series of phone calls and came up with a solution. he was able to program my x1 remote to work just like the old one .... controlling "on/off" for my x1 cable box, sharp tv, and yamaha sound box, as well as linking the volume +/- to the sound box as well. the tech admitted he had surprised even himself by finding the solution.

New Poster

you can flip just thru "favorites" if you set the filter to "favorites"

Contributor

Saw the new "Headlines" app this morning and tried it.

When I got to the screen where you could choose your topic all I got were a row of blank boxes with nothing in them.

Tried it again just now and got the same result.

I guess, like everything else in the X1 world, its a work in progress.

Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to avoid any upscaling if I can.  Thus far, the picture quality on the X1 has been pretty "meh" overall so I'd prefer to keep things in their native resolution while I troubleshoot things. 

Regular Visitor

I have a tech coming tomorrow to check the pole and outside wires. This is the last chance for the X1. If there is not significant improvement in the picture quality then I am going back to the older dvr boxes.
The picture quality on my less than one year old Samsung 60 inch plazma went way down hill the day I got the X1.
Problem Solver

Got the update, there is a remote battery level in settings -about but it stuck at 5% even with new batteries.

when working that is a good idea

Diamond Problem Solver

I see that its also "made with love in philadelphia"

Problem Solver

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
I see that its also "made with love in philadelphia"

same here, just thought it was a promo for a show.

What show??

Regular Contributor

Where in setting is the remote battery level? I don't see it

Contributor

Well this morning the red light is off, but now I can't access my saved DVR programs.

Contributor

We must be paying Comcast to be Beta tested

Regular Contributor

@davephillips41 wrote:

Where in setting is the remote battery level? I don't see it

Settings "About" will show the remote battery level. Mine is at 60%.

Contributor

After latest update:

Red light back on----even stays on now when you physically shut the box off at the switch.

No "made with love in Philadelphia".

No added remote battey level.

Tried to set a recording right after update. Tried three times, but no luck. Next day, there it is scheduled to record three times.

I feel like Alice in Wonderland and our Wonderland is much worse than hers.

Contributor

Titanic1701,

I still don't see any battery level in "Settings, About".

Is your box still running 4816 dated 9-11?

Frequent Visitor

‎10-01-2013 03:30 PM

apparently there are some UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES on the X1 remote.

I had the X1 platform installed two weeks ago and was quite dismayed when the remote suported ony the cable box and the tv. i ranted, raved, held my breath til i was blue in the face and told the comcast tech that my favorite feature on the old remote was the "all on/off" with the added ability to control my sound box volume. the tech insisted the new remote design was to simplify it.

after i pouted for a while the tech made a series of phone calls and came up with a solution. he was able to program my x1 remote to work just like the old one .... controlling "on/off" for my x1 cable box, sharp tv, and yamaha sound box, as well as linking the volume +/- to the sound box as well. the tech admitted he had surprised even himself by finding the solution.

^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have the info on how this is done to the remote?
New Poster

Can you not rewind or pause live TV on the set-top boxes?  I'm getting a "NO" symbol when I try.  Hoping it's a fluke with the box because if it's not an option all all, that stinks.

New Poster

Small picture, Output resolution N/A on terminal

I have a problem I have only seen mention of once with no answer.  One terminal I have hooked up to a 50" Panasonic plasma.  To be fair, it is a pretty old TV, I think we got it in 2005.

The problem is that when the terminal is booting up, it fills the entire screen at the first Xfinity screen.  Once it starts loading with the 4 red dots on the screen, the picture resets and then it only takes up about 1/4 of the screen.  The entire picture is in the upper left, the rest of the display is black.  Once the box is booted up, the picture only shows in the same corner.  When going to settings, it shows "Output Resolution N/A".  When you then actual click on video settings to go into the submenu, the only choice is Zoom.  Output resoltion or anything else that is supposed to be there is missing.

I have tried rebooting the terminal multiple times with no change.  I have tested the TV with a computer and a Directv box with no problems.  So I am confident the problem is with the X1 terminal, not the TV.

Any ideas?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Small picture, Output resolution N/A on terminal

Atolicus how do you have the box hooked up to the plasma?

Regular Contributor

@MikeBravo wrote:

After latest update:

Red light back on----even stays on now when you physically shut the box off at the switch.

No "made with love in Philadelphia".

No added remote battey level.

Tried to set a recording right after update. Tried three times, but no luck. Next day, there it is scheduled to record three times.

I feel like Alice in Wonderland and our Wonderland is much worse than hers.

Got the new update last night (forced it) and red light has been on all day. Nothing recording.

I think the only thing the updates do is update the date of the update.

New Poster

HDMI.  Same way I tested the computer and DirecTV.  Also previously a DVD player and a Bluray player which all worked.

Diamond Problem Solver

Try with coax or component and try to change the resolution

New Poster

Yeah good idea.  Will do.  Hopefully I can change the resolution, then switch back to the HDMI.  Now I gotta go find a component cable... pretty sure I tossed most of those awhile ago.

Thanks for the help.

Contributor

We were watching a "Bones" rerun on TNT HD yesterday when the channel just dropped out completely  leaving a grayish black screen. 

Rebooting box didn't help, but after a while the picture came back all pixelated for a good while before steadying up and being normal.

Don't know if it was the box or the system.

Also, the news headlines app still doesn't work. All the topic windows are blank. What's odd about this is that when we pause live TV or a recording, the screen saver comes on and over that we get pop up sports alerts and-----news headlines!

I don't understand and I wonder if even Comcast does.

Contributor

@mrshenon wrote:

Can you not rewind or pause live TV on the set-top boxes?  I'm getting a "NO" symbol when I try.  Hoping it's a fluke with the box because if it's not an option all all, that stinks.

Hi mrshenon, when the tech came out to my house to install x1 he told me you can't use the pause/rewind function on the anyroom dvr, just on the main x1  set-top box. I just hit the record button and switch over to the dvr menu and watch the show so I have the above mentioned features

tom

Regular Contributor

@MikeBravo wrote:

Titanic1701,

I still don't see any battery level in "Settings, About".

Is your box still running 4816 dated 9-11?

Yes, that is the FW version I have. In the settings:about page, you should have a nice little "With Love from Philadelphia" icon in the upper right. And, just above the "Update" button there is the words "Remote Battery Level Indicator" followed by a green indicator and the % number.

Contributor

Well, that is very interesting....

No icon and no remote battery indicator even though we are running the same firmware version with the same release date and my box updated again after the original 4816 update on 9-11, though nothing was acknowledged on the 'About' screen.

So, something else is amiss or I am being shortchanged in some way.

I wonder if Comcast would admit it......nah!

Regular Contributor

@MikeBravo wrote:

We were watching a "Bones" rerun on TNT HD yesterday when the channel just dropped out completely  leaving a grayish black screen. 

Rebooting box didn't help, but after a while the picture came back all pixelated for a good while before steadying up and being normal.

Also, the news headlines app still doesn't work. All the topic windows are blank. What's odd about this is that when we pause live TV or a recording, the screen saver comes on and over that we get pop up sports alerts and-----news headlines!

You have to set up the hedlines app.  Click on the explore icon and select the news sources you want.

Regular Contributor

The headlines app Sucks.  It  wants your email to send the link to the news. What kind of garbage is that?  Don't we want an app where you can read the headlines straight from the TV with pictures and all

Contributor

@mars21 wrote:

@MikeBravo wrote:

You have to set up the hedlines app.  Click on the explore icon and select the news sources you want.

That's the problem, all the news sources are blank; no picture, no description of what to choose.

New Poster

We just bought a new Smasung plasma and set the resolution to 1080p60.  Figured the box would sort it all out and everything is fine.

New Poster

I was told by a great tech  over the phone that this is a national problem, not a specific one.  Apparently comcast does program updates and fixes in the wee hours of the morning (actually saw it happen one night at 2AM) and when the boxes are restarted they revert to 720 rather than user settings.  Once they have a fix it will correct everyones DVR.