Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

I just purchased a Philips Soundbar model CSS2123B/F7 but I cannot get my X1 R2 remote to work with it. I tried both of the Philips Audio codes the website provides (30189, 31266) and neither of those work. I found a few posts online referencing using code 32459 for comcast/Xfinity remotes but the X1 remote doesn't seem to recognize that (blinks red then green after entering it). Any suggestions? The manual search only seems to work for TV codes and not audio codes and I'd rather not enter them in one by one. Thanks!

New Poster

Does anyone know when the sound quality on x1 box will be improved? The old dvr boxes were definitely louder and would show if channel was availabe in 5.1 . The x1 box doesn't show any that info .
New Poster

when you tell someone to call executive office it would be nice if you acutally gave the number.  I for one would like to call them.

New Poster

so basically we are testers for comcast the tech is coming today i am having him put everything back they were.  there is nothing i like about this new system

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem of Red recording light staying on all the time after 4816. This X1 system is not ready to be deployed. Comcast should admit that and refund money to the unfortunate souls who fell for their ads,  

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment [ New ]
Options
‎09-26-2013 05:30 PM

I have the same problem of Red recording light staying on all the time after 4816. This X1 system is not ready to be deployed. Comcast should admit that and refund money to the unfortunate souls who fell for their ads,

---------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, we see several X1 commercials a day.
Contributor

I just stopped by my local Comcast office (NJ) and asked for one of the newer XR5 backlit remotes. The woman behind the counter looked at me like I had two heads. However, I prevailed upon her to call the main office and even they were puzzled. Their answer was that they weren't available around here.

Anyone else have any luck?

Regular Contributor

MikeBravo

Did you try calling the sales department at Comcast and see if they have it available to order? If anyone has it, or has the capability to get it out to you, it would be them
New Poster

Forgive me if I just entered into the conversation late, but the remote is available from Comcast online.  Here is the link:

http://store.comcast.com/xr5-remote-control/detail.php?p=451385

Contributor

It's bad enough that my Comcast service is costing me an arm and a leg, I'm not going to buy a remote to boot. I understand the logic that renting it costs more in the long run, but at least I can exchange it when it wears out or something even better, like the XR5, comes along.

As far as calling customer service goes, the special X1 number is always busy and calling the regular Comcast number is worse than getting a root canal----and it at least getting the root canal my dentist speaks English.

Frequent Visitor

I received the X1 equipment on Sep. 24. I have these issues and hope someone will help.

1. The remote button for 'All On' does not work. The TV button shuts off the TV but, I cannot get the box off.

2. The red light (I assume) means it is recording. Why then is it on when it is not recording?

3. Sometimes, I see the DVR menu while playing a recording. Not the whole menu, just the right side of it. A bug of some sort. 

4. After wataching a recording, depresssing 'Stop' does nothing.

5. Selecting a recording sometimes leads to that recording as it should. Sometimes, I get a completely different recording. Not much fun when ou are deleting something you watched. One cannot assum that the confirm screen is actually for the itme you selected.

6. While watching a recording... all of them so far... about 10 minutes into a recording, the screen goes dark. First, it goes balnk, stops and then continues after ~2 seconds. The again.. the delay then finally, no image at all. I still have SOUND from the recording but, no image. The TV indicates 'No Signal' yet my reeiver has sound. I expect this behavior from Hulu, Netflix etc. but not from a hard disk 2 feet away.

7. I cannot pause live TV on a 'satellite'. I can record a live program so I do no understand why the pause button does not work.

In all, there is not much benefit (other than recording 4 items) for all this trouble. I am considering going back to the old equipment and using Hulu when I want to watch something I cannot record (due to the limits on recording at one time).

Any ideas?

Valued Contributor

Been thinking about trying out the X1, but my biggest question is both my brother and I do a lot of recording.

WE both would want our own individual box not one main box and a satellite box.

Is this something Comcast does with the X1?

Bronze Problem Solver

@noba wrote:

Been thinking about trying out the X1, but my biggest question is both my brother and I do a lot of recording.

You can have more than one X1 DVR - without satellite boxes.  I have 3 X1 DVR's in my home and no satellites.

Bronze Problem Solver

@TomWoodridge wrote:

I received the X1 equipment on Sep. 24. I have these issues and hope someone will help.

1. The remote button for 'All On' does not work. The TV button shuts off the TV but, I cannot get the box off.

2. The red light (I assume) means it is recording. Why then is it on when it is not recording?

3. Sometimes, I see the DVR menu while playing a recording. Not the whole menu, just the right side of it. A bug of some sort. 

4. After wataching a recording, depresssing 'Stop' does nothing.

5. Selecting a recording sometimes leads to that recording as it should. Sometimes, I get a completely different recording. Not much fun when ou are deleting something you watched. One cannot assum that the confirm screen is actually for the itme you selected.

6. While watching a recording... all of them so far... about 10 minutes into a recording, the screen goes dark. First, it goes balnk, stops and then continues after ~2 seconds. The again.. the delay then finally, no image at all. I still have SOUND from the recording but, no image. The TV indicates 'No Signal' yet my reeiver has sound. I expect this behavior from Hulu, Netflix etc. but not from a hard disk 2 feet away.

7. I cannot pause live TV on a 'satellite'. I can record a live program so I do no understand why the pause button does not work.

In all, there is not much benefit (other than recording 4 items) for all this trouble. I am considering going back to the old equipment and using Hulu when I want to watch something I cannot record (due to the limits on recording at one time).

Any ideas?

I can't answer all your questions but I can answer some.

1.  This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast.

2.  Comcast is having issues with the red recording light.  It is supposed to be corrected soon.

3. This is something that has happened to me also - over the past few days - but not with all recordings.  Hopefully a fix will be done soon.

4, 5 & 6.  I don't have these problems.  Hopefully others can help.

7.  Satellite boxes don't have a hard drive so there is no buffer to record the program - so they can't FF, pause or rewind.  You would need multiple DVR's to do that.  I have 3 X1 DVR's in my home with no satellite boxes.

Contributor

i just got the x1 a week ago,i only had one glitch and a reboot fixed it,my question is there is a option in the settings to update to the latest version,it takes about 20 mins.should i update all 4 of my tv's to the latest update.also  are updates avaiable frequentley .also is there a manual for the new boxes ,they are pantec boxes i assume but i can  not find a online manual for it

Problem Solver

@jd1122 wrote:

i just got the x1 a week ago,i only had one glitch and a reboot fixed it,my question is there is a option in the settings to update to the latest version,it takes about 20 mins.should i update all 4 of my tv's to the latest update.also  are updates avaiable frequentley .also is there a manual for the new boxes ,they are pantec boxes i assume but i can  not find a online manual for it

yes if you want or wait until the box update itself
Bronze Problem Solver

@jd1122 wrote:

If you select "infinity - settings(gear icon) - about" you can check to see if you have the latest update for your X1 DVR.  Updates are automatic and come fairly frequently.  Haven't seen a manual yet.

New Poster

I wanted to upgrade to the X1 service that just became availalbe in my area.  I requested the new X1 box and they told me they need to charge me $40 + $20 to send a technician out to plug in the boxes.  What is the need of a technician?  Is there more involved than plugging in the coax connection and the HDMI cable?

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment[ New ]

I wanted to upgrade to the X1 service that just became availalbe in my area.  I requested the new X1 box and they told me they need to charge me $40 + $20 to send a technician out to plug in the boxes.  What is the need of a technician?  Is there more involved than plugging in the coax connection and the HDMI cable?

the tech hade to register each box for each room when he set up mine,he also had to get tech support involved to make sure all the boxes were communicating.all my boxes had to be switched, in other words if you want the boxes in other rooms to be able to play your recordings you will need new .boxes.so it takes more then just plug and play.

Contributor

thanks manamok i appreciate your feedback

New Poster

@jd1122 wrote:
Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment[ New ]

the tech hade to register each box for each room when he set up mine,he also had to get tech support involved to make sure all the boxes were communicating.all my boxes had to be switched, in other words if you want the boxes in other rooms to be able to play your recordings you will need new .boxes.so it takes more then just plug and play.

Thanks for the answer.  Still doesn't seem like a technician is necessary.  Instructions to register could come with the boxes.  "Regular" boxes still need a call to tech support to activate them, so communication could be checked then.  And I would assume only X1 boxes would share the recordings.  I plan on changing my 2 HD boxes.  Still seems like an excessive charge.  My wife's been buggin me to get the cheaper and better looking Uverse.  I've been putting her off because I prefer Comcast internet and when I showed her X1 she agreed we could stay with Comcast (even though it's more expensive apples to apples).  Now this charge pushes her over the edge again. 

Frequent Visitor

@noba wrote:

Depending on the area you can get more than one X1 Hub. But good luck trying to get them isolated as individual boxes. I've been trying for almost two months with no luck.

Valued Contributor

That is a concern.  I want the 2 boxes and have them operating as 2 separate boxes with their own hard drives and operating individually from each other.

If this is something they are not able to do I would stick with my current Motorola DVR's

Valued Contributor

Right now we each have our own Motorola DVR.  We both have the need to be able to record more than 2 shows and we each have our own interests. 

I would thinkk Comcast would realize the importance of these being able to operated as individual boxes.  I mean we each have the need to be able to record our own stuff and have the additional tuners to record programs in prime time.

I am still on the fence until I hear more about having the boxes isolated as invidual boxes. 

I am in Massachusetts by the way

Bronze Problem Solver

@TTerry wrote:

Depending on the area you can get more than one X1 Hub. But good luck trying to get them isolated as individual boxes. I've been trying for almost two months with no luck.

I have 3 X1 DVR's  operating independently from each other as far as recording goes but operating as networked DVR's when it comes to viewing.  They share the "Recording" and "Delete" folders but each has it's own "Scheduled" folder.  Programs scheduled on an individual DVR are recorded on that DVR.  This gives me 12 tuners and 3 DVR's worth of storage to use.  I don't have any satellite boxes. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@noba wrote:

Right now we each have our own Motorola DVR.  We both have the need to be able to record more than 2 shows and we each have our own interests. 

I would thinkk Comcast would realize the importance of these being able to operated as individual boxes.  I mean we each have the need to be able to record our own stuff and have the additional tuners to record programs in prime time.

I am still on the fence until I hear more about having the boxes isolated as invidual boxes. 

I'm in Mass also.  You can definitely have more than one X1 DVR.  They can be networked or act as two totally independent DVR's with no connection to each other.  It all depends on how you want the tech to wire them up.

Diamond Problem Solver

Rinman, a tech is necessary because the x1 are like modems and they need to be in a certain spec more than the older boxes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

There's a filter you can get from a tech (not a service centre) that goes on the back of whichever DVR you want to keep separate

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@noba wrote:

You can have x1 hubs operationg independenly.  You will need MoCA filters installed on both hubs.  You also must make sure that the billing codes attached to both boxes are not for any room dvr.  When you scheldule the insrallation you have to make that clear and make sure that the tech has the filters on his truck.  They don't always carry them.  Also make sure the billing codes are correct from the start because you ill have a hard time getting anyone to correct them.

Contributor

mars21,

What are the billing code differences between an X1 and anyroom DVR?

I am getting an Anyroom DVR (not X1) hooked up this week, and I am told its $19.95/mo for the anyroom DVR.

So, if you have 2 X1 hubs operating independantly, without a satellite box for anyroom, they would be $17.95/mo each?

or lets say if one of them was operating as anyroom DVR with a satellite box then it would be $19.95/mo for that one X1 hub and $17.95 for the X1 hub with the filter on it?

So essentially, Comcast charges $2 extra on any DVR  with anyroom funcionality?

Do I have this correct?

thanks!

Regular Contributor

@jake20 wrote:

mars21,

What are the billing code differences between an X1 and anyroom DVR?

I am getting an Anyroom DVR (not X1) hooked up this week, and I am told its $19.95/mo for the anyroom DVR.

So, if you have 2 X1 hubs operating independantly, without a satellite box for anyroom, they would be $17.95/mo each?

or lets say if one of them was operating as anyroom DVR with a satellite box then it would be $19.95/mo for that one X1 hub and $17.95 for the X1 hub with the filter on it?

So essentially, Comcast charges $2 extra on any DVR  with anyroom funcionality?

Do I have this correct?

thanks!

As I understand it, the billing codes have two functions.  They establish fees and instruct the servers as to how your system should operate.  Clarification of rates should come from Comcast.  I have not seen any diference in charges for anyroom service.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have four X1 Hubs and my Anyroom billing codes have all been disabled. Also had techs install MoCA filters on each individual box but they all still link up together. The only difference now is that while the recordings are still visible in every room they can't streamed to the rooms anymore. So if for instance one DVR records Parks and Recreation on NBC it's on that DVR, but the other rooms can't play it. The problem this creates is that since all the boxes are still linked only that one room can record that show. So if someone in one of the other rooms wants to record that same show on their DVR they can't. Because when you go to record it on the guide it's already scheduled in another room so your options are limited to only modifying the existing scheduled recording.

I've talked to X1 Techs, X1 Supervisors, Billing agents, Billing Supervisors, and even spoken with the Corporate Help Desk. Nobody can completely separate the boxes. All have confirmed that the billing  X1 anyroom codes are off, but that has done absolutely nothing. I would guess I've made 50 calls since August, and had techs out here three times. It seems that it's pretty much impossible to get them to work individually at this point.

Regular Contributor

@TTerry wrote:

I have four X1 Hubs and my Anyroom billing codes have all been disabled. Also had techs install MoCA filters on each individual box but they all still link up together. The only difference now is that while the recordings are still visible in every room they can't streamed to the rooms anymore. So if for instance one DVR records Parks and Recreation on NBC it's on that DVR, but the other rooms can't play it. The problem this creates is that since all the boxes are still linked only that one room can record that show. So if someone in one of the other rooms wants to record that same show on their DVR they can't. Because when you go to record it on the guide it's already scheduled in another room so your options are limited to only modifying the existing scheduled recording.

I've talked to X1 Techs, X1 Supervisors, Billing agents, Billing Supervisors, and even spoken with the Corporate Help Desk. Nobody can completely separate the boxes. All have confirmed that the billing  X1 anyroom codes are off, but that has done absolutely nothing. I would guess I've made 50 calls since August, and had techs out here three times. It seems that it's pretty much impossible to get them to work individually at this point.

Do you see yellow exclamation points next to recordings from other boxes?  It is more than turning of anyroom.  There is a proper code to replace it. It took me two months until I finally found someone who was willing to do the research.  She spent an entire afternoon with me and even after her supervisor told her it couldn't be done, she found the answer.  I wish I knew what she found.  I'd like to thank her.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I see the yellow exclamations. Perhaps you can call and ask what code they actually put on yours to do it? Then I can just tell them to put the same code on mine and maybe it will work.

Regular Contributor

I wish I had that information. I just had a long afternoon session and the next morning everything was working.
New Poster

I had the same issue.  Comcast rep gave me instructions to re-pair my remote with my box by holding the "Setup" button until the "All Power" button turns green then pressing the "Xfinity" button.  Then follow the on screen instructions.  Ever since I did that, I haven't had any issues.

Bronze Problem Solver

@TTerry wrote:

The secret to getting my 3 X1 DVR's to operate independently as far as recording but as networked DVR's for playback was to go into settings and change the name of the "Default DVR" to itself.  My 3 DVR's are named "Family Room", "Media Room" and "Bedroom" and when the tech installed the system he named the "Family Room" DVR as the "Default DVR" for all three DVR's.  Therefore all recordings were done on the "Family Room" DVR regardless which DVR I set up the recording.  This limited me to only 4 tuners and one DVR worth of storage. 

When I changed the "Default DVR" on the "Media Room" to "Media Room" and the "Bedroom" to "Bedroom" they each acted independently as far as scheduling recordings but as networked DVR's for playback.  All DVR's show all recordings in the "Recordings" folder, regardless of which DVR did the recording and all DVR's share the "Delete" folder - but the "Scheduled" folder is unique to the DVR where I set up the recording.  

This change gave me 12 tuners to use and 3 DVR's worth of storage.  It did take me several reboots of each box before I got rid of all the yellow caution icons.

Frequent Visitor

@manamok wrote:

@TTerry wrote:

The secret to getting my 3 X1 DVR's to operate independently as far as recording but as networked DVR's for playback was to go into settings and change the name of the "Default DVR" to itself.  My 3 DVR's are named "Family Room", "Media Room" and "Bedroom" and when the tech installed the system he named the "Family Room" DVR as the "Default DVR" for all three DVR's.  Therefore all recordings were done on the "Family Room" DVR regardless which DVR I set up the recording.  This limited me to only 4 tuners and one DVR worth of storage. 

When I changed the "Default DVR" on the "Media Room" to "Media Room" and the "Bedroom" to "Bedroom" they each acted independently as far as scheduling recordings but as networked DVR's for playback.  All DVR's show all recordings in the "Recordings" folder, regardless of which DVR did the recording and all DVR's share the "Delete" folder - but the "Scheduled" folder is unique to the DVR where I set up the recording.  

This change gave me 12 tuners to use and 3 DVR's worth of storage.  It did take me several reboots of each box before I got rid of all the yellow caution icons.

Yeah, mine have had themselves as Default DVR since day one. And yes, the Scheduled and Priorities folders are separated on each DVR. But on the guide if one room is recording something all the rooms still see it. And no two rooms can record the same thing. Back to my previous example if I were in the Den and set Parks and Recreation to record it would work fine and record to the DVR in the Den. The Master Bedroom would NOT see that as a scheduled recording under the Recordings menus. But if I go to the guide in the Master Bedroom it still shows that Parks and Recreation is scheduled to record. And will not let me also schedule to record it in the Master Bedroom. All it does is let me modify the recording that was set in the Den.

Bronze Problem Solver

Mine doesn't work that way - for example, I record "Breaking Bad" on two different DVR's.   I agree that the Guide and the mini-guide both show all scheduled recordings regarless of which DVR they will be recorded on.

New Poster

Hello. I just signed up for the new DVR. My husband will be picking up the box this week. My question is about the other two boxes in my home. Will they work to watch the DVR shows that I record on the x1 dvr thing? Do I need certain boxes to connect to the x1 DVR?

Diamond Problem Solver

Taraoc, the x1 is the new DVR and your husband won't be able to pick one up. Are you maybe talking about the older version of DVR?

Contributor

Re: dL92

the dl.92 means the box is receiving a download.

I can't remember if is count up or down to the finished download. When the download is finished the box will install and reboot the x1

cheers,

Tom

Regular Visitor

Poor picture quality since X1 was installed.

My picture quality has gone from 9 out of 10 to 6 out of 10 since we had the X1 box installed. A different tech came out and could not find anything wrong. He even swapped out the box. I'm not happy and will be returning the X1 and going back to the older boxes if this is not resolved.
Official Employee

I've discovered a frustration with the X1 remote on my Slingbox.

The X1 requires you to press "OK" to tune the channel. Sling's software doesn't send the OK command for the X1, even when the right options are selected, and they don't seem to have any plans to fix this. The result is that you can only change channels with Sling's fake remote, and not use their favorite channel options, grid, etc.

The X1 literature says that after typing in a channel, it will tune after 5 seconds. But I've found this isn't the case.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Well, the recording bug finally hit us.

We tried to record Torchwood and even though the red dots appeared next to it in the program guide (but it wasn't in our scheduled recordings) it didn't record.

Then, last night, we went to adjust the recording time for the Mentalist because football ran over by fifteen minutes, but discovered that the most we could extend our recording was five minutes.

When will these things be fixed!

Regular Contributor

Well over 30 tv shows that the X1 deleted by itself in the past few weeks have all of a sudden returned as it went from 39% full to 55% full overnight so Comcast might be getting their act together.

Contributor

I tried reading back over all the old posts until my eyes glazed over but I couldn't find any reference to the aiblity of the X1 box to record over beyond the measly five minutes that my box shows. 

I ask because the Jets game ran over and I needed fifteen mintues over which the old box allowed and more.

Anyone have any ideas or know how to get around that?

Regular Contributor

@MikeBravo wrote:

I tried reading back over all the old posts until my eyes glazed over but I couldn't find any reference to the aiblity of the X1 box to record over beyond the measly five minutes that my box shows. 

I ask because the Jets game ran over and I needed fifteen mintues over which the old box allowed and more.

There may be a fix on the way.  Meanwhile I have found the easiest work around is to select the next program on that channel and set to record.  

Bronze Problem Solver

@MikeBravo wrote:

When you schedule a live event the X1 normally gives you the option of extending the recording at least up to an hour.

Diamond Problem Solver

Mikebravo, you should have been given a 30,60, or 90 minute extension for live programming. If you use the online DVR manager you can't get 2 hours more for live and additional time for regular programming