Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

My experience with this box is also horrible.  Simple things like having to delete each recording individually, THEN also delete the trash items individually are absurd.  There is no way to tell how full the DVD disc is.  It "frequently" stops in the middle of a playback, where I have to restart the movie AND then fast forward to where I was.  Freezes are common where I have to reset the box.

I think the most frustrating thing about the menus is that they are glacially slow.  The technician who set it up warned me, as I have a sattillite box and it has to communicate with the actually DVR box for everything it does.  Compared to the legacy Comcast boxes (and of course Dish), it's a real step backwards.

I agree that Comcast did not fully test this box out, probably did not specify it correctly if they had a hand in the development.  It is really not ready for prime time.

New Poster

It does, but not as convenient as the older boxes. Select the guide, one click, then use the right move button. After that you can page down forever it seems.

New Poster

Re: X1 – Sunday 9:00 PM Did not record

I had the same problem of not recording B E. Try deleting series request to record. Go to your HBO station you would normally watch and reset your "series record" to that station.

New Poster

You might try going to your TV setup and programming external speakers. I had to do this on my Sony Bravio TV.

New Poster

Try changing your TV setup to remote speakers, worked on mine.

Regular Contributor

How dominant go about getting the new X2 remote? With voice?
New Poster

Re: My impression of the X1 DVR Box...... and "customer service"??

Thanks for the reply DanielS, I wasn't really  complaining about the double delete. As I stated, I can see the benefits of it. I'm more concerned about the DVR not recording shows/series that I have set up and the sound drop outs on HDMI. The other day, a series didn't record on Tues (wasn't in the recordings folder) and then magically appeared in the folder two days later?? I've set two single recordings for today and neither show in guide with the red dot or in the scheduled folder.  They finally got all my channels to work on my main DVR box after two weeks (Guess I'll have to call to get a credit?? I know Comcast isn't going to give me credit without asking even though there was numerous calls to try and fix this!) with a box swap out. 

New Poster

Hello. We just received our first bill after having x1 installed. When making the appt, I was told that my bill would remain the same with the boxes they were switching.
We have the main x1 box in living room and the secondary box in bedroom which sees the main box dvr. When comparing bills it looks as though they put a box with hd service on our second tv, and that is where the $10 difference is. It's an old tv that does not have HD. Do you actually have a secondary box that would just be the $9.95 we were paying without the extra HD fee. I do want the dvr capability.

Thanks for any info.
Regular Visitor

New X1 install last weekend.  Using the coaxial digital output on the X1 box to my receiver, same setup I had for the previous Motorola box.  X1 box will not go into surround mode...reverts back to stereo as soon as you back out of that portion of the menu.  Verified receiver still goes into surround mode with Xbox and DVD player.  Receiver does not have HDMI inputs.  How can I get my 5.1 surround back?  Thanks in advance for any help!.

Contributor

@mb47 wrote:

New X1 install last weekend.  Using the coaxial digital output on the X1 box to my receiver, same setup I had for the previous Motorola box.  X1 box will not go into surround mode...reverts back to stereo as soon as you back out of that portion of the menu.  Verified receiver still goes into surround mode with Xbox and DVD player.  Receiver does not have HDMI inputs.  How can I get my 5.1 surround back?  Thanks in advance for any help!.

Optical Audio?

Regular Contributor

I have 2 set UPS with surround sound.Even though the boxes revert back my receivers are passing through 5.1 surround sound.It's a known
Glitch but the main thing is you get the surround sound anyway.Hopefully this will get fixed just like the1080p that kept changing to720p.
Which I had to leave it set at 1080i till recently when this bug was fixed.
New Poster

Hello,

I am a longtime Comcast user. Well over 10 years. We moved September 1st and decided to splurge on faster internet, and the new x1 service and to get another dvr for the bedroom. We got a good deal on triple play with blast and we were very excited to get it!

Ffirst off the internet is blazing. averaging low 40's mbps second upload and high teens dload. I dload a gig tv episode in about 8 mins.

The issue is the television. It simply doesnt record some shows, when it does it wont play them back or it will freeze. It freezes up almost daily and has to be restarted. Sometimes for no reason it just wont change a channel and is overall buggy, laggy, and just not working.

The remote only works the box and not other devices like a dvd player, surround sound, the favorites button ( my young son loved) turned into some type of process. the search is cumbersome and flat cant find some things.  I liked having the old menu button.

After missing my beloved tigers games and favorite shows over and over we decided to try to get old boxes. So after a few calls and lots of waiting lots of rebooting etc. we are taking the boxes back to a comcast center and trading them in. 

For an upgrade the remote was a serious step back. The new guide look and the ability to record multiple shows would be great, but it doesnt work!.

Look ill pay almost 200 a month for blazing internet and great hd shows with the ability to record them , but this switch was a huge dissapointment and i feel as though i shouldnt have to pay for frustration and partial service. After loving this service for so long were thinking frontier or even the dreaded uverse...cmon Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 –Record Light Problem Returns

The problem with the record light remaining lit when nothing is being recorded was fixed on my  box about 10 days ago. This morning I wake up and the light is glowing again even though nothing is recording.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: X1 –Record Light Problem Returns

@philw11 wrote:

The problem with the record light remaining lit when nothing is being recorded was fixed on my  box about 10 days ago. This morning I wake up and the light is glowing again even though nothing is recording.

Same. Got a new time stamp (Sept 4) last night along with the record light that won't turn off. Rebooted and record light is still on. 

Regular Contributor

@stevep51 wrote:
I have 2 set UPS with surround sound.Even though the boxes revert back my receivers are passing through 5.1 surround sound.It's a known
Glitch but the main thing is you get the surround sound anyway.Hopefully this will get fixed just like the1080p that kept changing to720p.
Which I had to leave it set at 1080i till recently when this bug was fixed.

Can you please clarify this? My satellite X1 box will only send surround sound to receiver when it does NOT play recordings from the X1 DVR.  Is this a known issue?

As soon as I stop recording playback, the X1 satellite box goes back to surround sound for the live channel it is on.

Regular Visitor

Sleep Timer Button

Just got the X1 - Only one complaint so far (haven't had much time to work with it yet) - no Sleep Timer button on the remotes.

Is there any way to reprogram one of the unused buttons (for instance "C" is worthless to me as I don't follow sports much) so that it will act as a sleep timer button?  I was able to do this with my older non-X1 remotes, but haven't seen anything that would allow it on the XR2 or XR5.

This is a show-stopper for me as my wife uses the sleep timer every night, and is not too happy with me for "upgrading" to a system that doesn't have it (using two remotes is an option, but NOT one she is willing to accept).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Cheap universal remote?

If I am unable to reprogram a button to work as a sleep timer (see my previous post) then I will have to look into universal remotes.  Does anyone have a recomendation for a cheap (under $50 or so) backlit universal remote that supports the X1 boxes?  I have a Harmony One in my family room that works fine with X1, but I don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars on new remotes for my other rooms just so they support the X1.

I do have a number of Philips universal remotes (which I used with my previous Comcast DVR), but I have been unable to get them to support the X1.  They are code based as well as learning remotes, and since they are older there doesn't seem to be a code for it (I've tried the code search function on them).  I've also been unable to get them to learn functions from the XR2 remote.  They just go into an error condition when I try (rapid flash of the setup light).

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment -- sound

I've noticed that with the latest software update, I'm no longer getting wild volume changes when listening through a dolby 5.1 system. Prior to that, if the broadcast was PCM, it would get very very soft, and when true 5.1 came through it would sound great. The effect was to have weirdly quiet commercials, and good HD programs...except for the introductory music and such, which was quiet....

Now, everything is much more reasonable. I don't know if this was something fixed in the X1 box or of comcast fixed signals further upstream, but thanks, whoever did it!  Just don't let it break again.

Brad

Regular Contributor

Re: Cheap universal remote?

The Harmony 650 will do the trick
Regular Contributor

I have no problem with hearing surround sound on my DVR or satellite box on live or recordings.Maybe someone else has a problem like
you have.
Regular Contributor

Previous post was for stangeek sorry I didn't mention that.Was answering on my Windows 8 phone.
Regular Contributor

@stevep51 wrote:
I have no problem with hearing surround sound on my DVR or satellite box on live or recordings.Maybe someone else has a problem like
you have.

Thanks for the information.  So, you can watch your DVR recordings on your satellite box and it comes across with surround sound?  What version of the software is on the satellite box?

Contributor

Well, so much for the new, solve everything firmware update (4816).

Now, all of a sudden, the red record light is on all the time even when the DVR is NOT recording.

Also, I was just watching "Shooter" (again) on AMCHD and I noticed some sync problems with the voices not matching up with the characters mouths.

Ah, man. When will they get it together.....

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment -- sound

@bradbortner wrote:

Now, everything is much more reasonable. I don't know if this was something fixed in the X1 box or of comcast fixed signals further upstream, but thanks, whoever did it!  Just don't let it break again.

Brad

Now only if we had a firmware update log, we'd know!

Contributor

Mike Bravo, try turning off the power button on the DVR for 10 seconds, then turn it back on, red light should go out. X1 Group is aware of this problem.

Good luck!

@MikeBravo wrote:

Well, so much for the new, solve everything firmware update (4816).

Now, all of a sudden, the red record light is on all the time even when the DVR is NOT recording.

Also, I was just watching "Shooter" (again) on AMCHD and I noticed some sync problems with the voices not matching up with the characters mouths.

Ah, man. When will they get it together.....

Contributor

I have the same issue.  I set audio for "surround" and the setting keeps getting changed to "stereo".  Very annoying.  How do you fix this?

Regular Contributor

Stangeek my boxes are running on build 4816 the dvr is from Aug 14th and the 2 satellite boxes is from Aug 29th .On the dvr I checked to see if it was the latest and it was .

New Poster

Ok my x1 is actually working fine so far. My only major problem so far is recorded only new shows. One example but its a lot of shows. I have the Simpsons recording on fox new episodes only. But my local fox shows the Simpsons reruns at different times. So the x1 thinks according to the guide that every Simpsons anytime are new. I can't find it anywhere but I would like to see that an option to record the Simpsons on this channel at this time every Sunday. But the real fix I would like to see is someone else do there guide because I don't see the same problem with other companies and services that I have used before. They knew which were repeats which were new. Please help. Because right now my only option is to go through a bunch of the scheduled programs and cancel the recording for that show. For multiple shows and also every day. This really sucks...
Regular Contributor

I'd like to pair the PR150BNM satellite box to my TV remote so I can use just the TV remote which allows me to control more than one device menus which the XR2 does not.

I have a Hitachi Plasma 42HDS69 which is about 5 years old and is a great TV. I've also emailed Hitachi. I need the codes for the cable box to use with this remote.

Contributor

DDMuffinMan,

Tried it, but no luck. The red record light came right back on.

Ah, man.......

Valued Contributor

What type of system do you have the X1 connected to?  If its not a 5.1 system, I suspect that the box reverts back to stereo.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Fix to X1 Satellite Picture distortion when using DVR

My satellite box is on an older TV without HD. When viewing DVR recordings in HD, the picture was distorted despite settings that gave the appropriate picture without distortion when viewing HD channels. Cable guy said that was the only option. WRONG! Here is a work around I found accidentally when clicking buttons faster than the box could handle. Click to view a DVR recording in the usual manner. While is is playing (with distortion), click Xfinity, then click through to the same recording as if it weren't playing. The program comes up with the first option being "restart" instead of watch DVR. Click restart. The black screen with the large DVR in the center comes up, then switches to the program in the undistorted view with the black bands on the top and bottom! Now I can watch my HD recordings without everything being elongated!  Yea!  But Comcast said it couldn't be done....

Regular Contributor

Good guess but I'm connected to a 5.1 system via optical cable and still revert to stereo. I have all the latest updates.
New Poster

Why does the X1 box need a special tech to come out over a standard HD Cable box, and why is it $50 per box install? I already have a multiroom DVR setup with you guys, and just wanted to upgrade. This pricing seems a little bit exessive.

Diamond Problem Solver

Krazed the x1 boxes are like little modems and the signal has to be in a certain spec for it to work properly, more so than the setup you have now. The upgrade fee is something else

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Why does the X1 box need a special tech to come out over a standard HD Cable box?  To install a filter to prevent X1 Platform RF from leaking out into Comcast's system.  The tech that performed my X1 install replaced my ten year old 4-way splitter and installed an filter upstream of it.  He also determined that the system was not correctly grounded and corrected that condition as well.

Diamond Problem Solver

the x1 boxes are in a different spec range than the digital boxes. the x1 depends on the forward and return moreso than the older boxes.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Had them do the install... Was $26.30 in Connecticut. Guy installed the filter.

Had some problems with the box so another tech guy came out. He checked the whole set up but forgot to put the filter back on when he left should I just leave it off or put it back on myself???

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - DVR Extenders

I had a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR before upgrading to the new X1. 

So far, most of the features, with some help with tips and workarounds, see be be working fine.  The only issue I have had so far is the red dot does not appear on the Guide when I set up a recording - even though later I find that it is fine.  I just ignore the absence of the red dot and hope for the best.

I had added a DVR Extender to my old DVR with an e-SATA connection.  It added another 500G in addition to the 60G that was in the box.

My question, and I have not heard anything about it yet, can you simplty connect a DVR Extender to the back of the DVR?  If so, is there a maximum storage size?  (The SA DVR could handle anything larger than 500G since the file index process could not go higher than that. There are hard disks that can go up to 2TB, but if they will not index, only 500G will be used.)

Regular Contributor

@RDSigrist wrote:

I had a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR before upgrading to the new X1. 

So far, most of the features, with some help with tips and workarounds, see be be working fine.  The only issue I have had so far is the red dot does not appear on the Guide when I set up a recording - even though later I find that it is fine.  I just ignore the absence of the red dot and hope for the best.

I had added a DVR Extender to my old DVR with an e-SATA connection.  It added another 500G in addition to the 60G that was in the box.

My question, and I have not heard anything about it yet, can you simplty connect a DVR Extender to the back of the DVR?  If so, is there a maximum storage size?  (The SA DVR could handle anything larger than 500G since the file index process could not go higher than that. There are hard disks that can go up to 2TB, but if they will not index, only 500G will be used.)

Word from Comcast was no support for external drives at this time. Wouldn't hurt to try and let us know how it works out. Smiley Happy

Contributor

I thought its no additional monthly cost for X1 equipment?

I just called comcast and they told me that to replace my 2 dvr's and 1 additional HD box would be another $15 per month... to change over to X1

I thought X1 was suppsoed to save me money since i currently have 2 DVR's and 1 HD box?

New Poster

Yes you can put it on yourself.
Diamond Problem Solver

Jake that increase may be for anyroom service (guessing)

Regular Contributor

@mars21 wrote:
Good guess but I'm connected to a 5.1 system via optical cable and still revert to stereo. I have all the latest updates.

Same here.  I have the latest update versions on the X1 DVR and on the X1 satellite box.  The sat box will output Dolby Digital to my receiver on everything BUT remote recordings.

This morning it started acting up when I tried to get past 60 mins. on a remote recording (which was being played in stereo only).  So, I replaced the sat box with the actual X1 DVR.  Both issues fixed instantly.  So, the bug is in sending the DVR recording audio to the sat box.

Regular Contributor

@Stangeek wrote:

@mars21 wrote:

Same here.  I have the latest update versions on the X1 DVR and on the X1 satellite box.  The sat box will output Dolby Digital to my receiver on everything BUT remote recordings.

This morning it started acting up when I tried to get past 60 mins. on a remote recording (which was being played in stereo only).  So, I replaced the sat box with the actual X1 DVR.  Both issues fixed instantly.  So, the bug is in sending the DVR recording audio to the sat box.

Another good guess.  I have no sat boxes, just two DVR's.  The latest updates seemed to have fixed the skipped recordings (although I believe it has mire to do with corrections at the server level) Istill can't get surround sound.  Other than that I have to say I'mhappy with the X-1, even thouhg it took months to get here.  Waiting for my adjusted rebate from Comcast.  LOL

Frequent Visitor

oh well, that  didn't work ddmuffinman . Light came back on.

Contributor

@philw11 wrote:

My red light stayed on also after last nights recordings and won't go out! According to X1 Group the next Update we get in about a week is supposed to fix this problem. Don't hold me to it!!!!!

Regular Contributor

@ddmuffinman wrote:

@philw11 wrote:

My red light stayed on also after last nights recordings and won't go out! According to X1 Group the next Update we get in about a week is supposed to fix this problem. Don't hold me to it!!!!!

Thanks!  You seem to be "in the know".  Any news on the surround sound missing on recordings fix?  :-)

Contributor

@Stangeek wrote:

@ddmuffinman wrote:

@philw11 wrote:

Thanks!  You seem to be "in the know".  Any news on the surround sound missing on recordings fix?  :-)

Stangeek, I haven't anymore on the surround sound issue! I'll keep you posted if I hear anything! Have a good one!

Regular Contributor

When I went to watch tv tonight my X1 box seemed "off." The remote, which is RF paired, would not get it to send a signal to my TV which said "no signal." When I got close to the box, I still heard lots of fan nosie from it. When I hit the front power button, it came back up, but the power light stayed on (I keep the light off). I reset it to off and it is now staying that way....

So...what caused this weird behavior? 

Brad