Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Looks like I also automatically received the 4816 update last night - I'm in Central California, Merced County.  It will be interesting to see what the obvious changes are later on tonight while watching TV.

Contributor

@mike4466 wrote:

Looks like I also automatically received the 4816 update last night - I'm in Central California, Merced County.  It will be interesting to see what the obvious changes are later on tonight while watching TV.

Same here in Chi Town.

Frequent Visitor

well........hate to say it...but after receiving the update to 4816...dare I say, the channel issue is resolved??  As of right now...everything is working.  I can't believe it.  I'll give an update tomorrow

Frequent Visitor

I have the X1 box and was given the XR2 remote. Many times when I try to hit record on something, nothing seems to happen. Other times it works but very inconsistent. Also I sometimes try to delete something off the recordings list and goes into the delete queue but when i try to erase from the delete queue, nothing happens. Like it doesn't respond. How can I fix this? Its very very frustrating.

Regular Visitor

What is 4816 and how do I know if I rec'd??  Channels are coming in and remote works.

No. Cal

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Mine is now on build 4816... Must have updated itself cause now everything works fine
Regular Visitor

Pax,

Hit the xfinity button your remote

Go all the way to the right to the gear/settings icon

Go down to "About"

Next to XRE Server Version, you will see something like: "1.31.10 (Build 4816)"

Frequent Visitor

update from yesterdays post....everything is still working.  Is it possible they fixed the channell issues with the 4816 update?  I'm shocked.  Wonder what else it resolved?

Highlighted
Contributor

@davidd6240 wrote:

Is there any way to advance a full day when on the Guide?

Thanks for your question, davidd6240. At this time, X1 does not have that features. However, that is a common request and on our backlog for future consideration.

In the meantime, a workaround for this is to use the Mini Guide's Channel Listing screen. You can get to this by pressing the Guide button once, finding the channel you want to see in the future, and hitting the right arrow [>] key. A list of everything airing on that channel in upcoming time slots will appear.  You can navigate this by using the down arrow key or the page down button.

When you find something you want to record, just hit the right arrow [>] key again and the info screen will display. You can set a recording from this screen or jump into more information about that show.

Contributor

@ComcastGrace wrote:

@davidd6240 wrote:

Is there any way to advance a full day when on the Guide?

Thanks for your question, davidd6240. At this time, X1 does not have that features. However, that is a common request and on our backlog for future consideration.

In the meantime, a workaround for this is to use the Mini Guide's Channel Listing screen. You can get to this by pressing the Guide button once, finding the channel you want to see in the future, and hitting the right arrow [>] key. A list of everything airing on that channel in upcoming time slots will appear.  You can navigate this by using the down arrow key or the page down button.

When you find something you want to record, just hit the right arrow [>] key again and the info screen will display. You can set a recording from this screen or jump into more information about that show.

Not perfect, but decent.  TY Any other tips?

Regular Contributor

The channel issue is fixed with the X1 boxes...but now my X1 remote app on my IPHONE doesn't work at all. What's going on?

Official Employee

Did you do an IOS7 update?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Did you do an IOS7 update?

Yes.  Painless.  Mostly good.  Too bad Apple isn't in the cable business.  Also for all those wishing for Verizon FIOS keep in mind that Verizon Comcast are partners so that'snot going to happen.  

Official Employee

There are issues with the xfinity player and ios7 so maybe there are issues with that app as well

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Just recieved my X1 boxes today.  Seems like there are issues with recording/DVR functionality.  I presses record on the remote and it didnt look like anything happened, so I pressed again.  I go into the DVR recordings and see the show being recorded twice.  I try deleting the shows (including erase) and they stayed as recordings.  I decided to restart the box.  Now pressing record tells me its recording, and pressing record again prompts me to cancel the recording.  However, the DVR seems to be flaky in that deleting shows doesnt seem to take.

Anyone else experience this stuff?

Regular Contributor

All my xfinity apps are working on OS 7
Contributor

Well, one thing the firmware update didn't fix is that the DVR is still picking up alternate viewing times of new episodes as new. So, we continue to have the same episode of series recorded several times forcing us to constantly go to the recording schedule and cancel the duplications and in some cases triplications.

Hope they solve this one next.

Frequent Visitor

Just curious if anyone has experienced anything like in my previous post (if I power on with HDMI connected it won't get past ---- to CAST, but if I power on with just component I get through full boot but halfway through I get scrolling small white dashes on a black screen like the signal is out of phase.  I plug HDMI back in and the signal comes back on component). 

The box must have rebooted again last night because I had to do the HDMI cable dance again.  Do I just have a bad box?  I'm wondering if my old Panasonic 720P Plasma doesn't support HDCP, do I need something like a Gefen HDMI Detective (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005) to fake out the X1?  Think Comcast would foot the bill? Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I have a similar problem.  My new X1 box was installed yesterday.  Unlike the Comcast Custom DVR-3 Device Universal Remote that came with my old DVR, the XR2 Revision R2 remote that came with the X1 box will not accept DVD player codes.  I found the DVD player codes in the Platinum remote instructions.  The XR2 Revision R2 remote only accepts 3xxxx series codes for audio amplifiers and receivers.  It does not accept 2xxxx codes for DVD players.  Unfortunately, a firmware revicion would be required to accept 2xxxx codes.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I've had the x1 box for a month now for all the new features and sleek look , it has been very frustrating. I know I'm not going crazy but the audio on these boxes suck. Does anyone know if and when the channels will be playing in Dolby digital. It seems every channel is in stereo. On my menu I press surround and it reverts to stereo. I have a sonos playbar and hooked up the the optical thru the cable box and get 5.1 on my sonos but the box seems it isn't playing in 5.1. On the x1 when u press info about the show it never says available in 5.1 or Dolby digital like the older boxes did. Is there an update coming out soon.
Contributor

Found out yesterday from a member of the X1 team that many customers, me included, only received about 50% of the 4816 update which was supposed to fix the red recording light staying on issue. My Anyroom DVR light was on most of yesterday, even though I had not schduled any recordings. When I calld the X1 Group they checked and found that my Anyroom had only received a portion of this download, yet the companion box upstairs was fine. They have no way of knowing this at their end unless you have an issue and call them. The X1 team was referring this to engineering. Later on the same X1 person called me to tell me that since my call a handful of other customers had called complaining about the red light and in checking these customers also did NOT receive the entire 4816 update!

Sounds like another X1 problem has surfaced!

Official Employee

@Jsapp230 wrote:
There are tons of responses and I am not finding my specific answers. I have found out how to program my favorite channels. Now my question, is there a way to just push a button to scroll through the channels. I realize I can see the guide with my shows, but sometimes its easier just to flip channels.
Also, the A and D buttons do nothing for me alone, (B is search, C is sports)....is there a way to program them for such an action as described above?
Last question, is there a way to have more than one favorites list? I would like to separate our favorite channels out by family members.

If these are not possible now, maybe soon,,,,,yes, Comcast hint hint... Smiley Happy

Thanks

Thanks for your question, Jsapp230.

- At this time, you cannot flip through favorites.

- "A" button isn't functional - but D can be used as a delete button, for example on the recordings list. At this time, you cannot program those keys.

- Its not possible to have multiple favorites lists.

Thanks for these suggestions though - I've shared your comment with the product management team.

Official Employee

@davephillips41 wrote:

I've been able to update my main X1 box, but the non-dvr box in the bedroom (PRN150BNM) isn't allowing me to update...when I click on UPDATE...it tells me that the set top box cannot update. The current version is June 22,2013 and I hear I should have Aug 14. I also notice some of the APPS that are available on the DVR box in the living room are not available in the bedroom.

How can I get this bedroom box to update?

Hi davephillips41.  After requesting the firmware update, if you are getting a message that no update is available then you have the latest.  Regarding apps - the non-DVR box has a smaller set of apps because it doesn't have as powerful a processor as the DVR box.

Official Employee

@Jezuzizkool wrote:

So do these questions actually get answered or is this forum just to vent our frustration? Smiley Wink

Typical Comcast if your gonna do something don't bother to do it right! 

But just in case somebody answers this thread...

Why can't I get the X1 box to stay in surrond sound mode? My old box did it just fine but the new one can't? 

Also I try to do an update but just get a message "set-top box was unable to request an updated version"

Why can't I set up DVR recordings on-line?

Thanks for your questions Jezuzizkool.

There is an open issue with the surround sound setting that is in the process of being addressed. 

- If you have a TV that is connected to the set-top box via HDMI its capable of surround sound the setting will work fine.

- If you have a TV that is connected to the set-top box via HDMI that is NOT capable of surround sound - the system won't accept your request to set audio to surround sound - regardless of what is connected to the other output ports.

Most set tops will have the latest firmware.  If you are getting the message that your "set-top box was unable to request an updated version" then you have the latest version that is allowed for that device. 

X1 devices are compatible with both online and mobile DVR management.  

Here are some articles about how it works:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/set-dvr-recordings-from-your-computer/

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/use-mydvr-manager-in-xfinity-apps/

Official Employee

@Skivt wrote:
Have had the box for two days and the only problem I am having is that the remote stops controlling the cable box for 5-10 minutes after I turn on the tv, eve if I do so manually. In other words, with the tv off and cable box on, I can press buttons on the remote and see the green remote light on the box illuminate. But as soon as I press the power button on the tv the box no longer responds. It seems as if as soon as I turn on the tv the whole remote defaults to tv mode.

Thanks for your question Skivt.

Perhaps your remote needs to be "paired" with the set-top box.  Instructions are here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/

Look for the section titled:

Pairing Your XR2 Remote with a Set-Top Box That Supports RF (Out-of-Sight) Control

Contributor

ComcastDanielS,

Is there a definitive way of finding out if my box got the full 4816 update?

Calling the special X1 support number is a waste of time (at least here in NJ) as it always busy.

Official Employee

Most set tops will have the latest firmware. If you are getting the message that your "set-top box was unable to request an updated version" then you have the latest version that is allowed for that device.

Daniel, not entirely true, that message means it needs to be updated by the x1 team or tier 2, if it doesn't take it.

Contributor

If what Andrew said is true all over then perhaps that is why when I just turned on my TV my NFL channel is dead even though my X1 box says I have the latest update.

It is impossible to tell with this new X1 box if the problem is the box, the Comcast signal, or the station itself.

Official Employee

Re: X1 - Q3 Platform User Guide

Here

@screenname137 wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

Q3 User Guide attached

Although this attachment says it is an X1 Guide, it is really an "overview" of all Xfinity Features and doesn't go into depth on the X1 at all.

Is there an actual manual that explains what the color coded buttons do - completely?  There are many other "tricks" that have been discovered and posted in this forum about Favorites, extended recording time, deleting/erasing, etc that are not documented anywhere in any manuals I have found - and finding these tips/tricks on the forum is not trivial.

I was excited to see an "updated manual" until I opened it and saw that it was really nothing.  Can we please get some decent documentation on these X1 boxes. 

Thanks.

Here's a list of tips for you!

Closed Captioning    
Turn Closed Captioning on or off by pressing the down arrow during a video to display video controls then select CC from the screen..

Favorite Channels
Add or remove a channel in your Guide’s favorites list by highlighting the channel column and pressing Info.

Filter the Guide
Press the "A" key to filter the Guide by HD channels, your favorite channels or all channels.

Set a Recording
In the Guide, highlight a channel and press Info to manually set recording a channel from any start and stop time.

Mini-Guide
Press the right arrow to use the Mini-Guide to see what’s on the current channel now. Press again to preview up to 14 days ahead.

Learn More
In the Settings > Help menu,  watch tutorial videos to learn about features, tips and tricks.

Delete Programs
Use the "D" key to delete single DVR recordings or delete multiple recordings within a folder–like a whole series.

Quick Skip
Use Page up/down to skip 5 minutes forward or back while watching any video.

Quick Search
Skip the main menu and begin a search instantly, from anywhere, by entering numbers on your remote.  

Last Nine
Press “Last" to see the last nine things you watched.

Smartphone Remote
Let your smart phone be a remote. Look for the XFINITY X1 Remote app in your phone's app store.

Jump to Live TV
When replaying moments from a live TV program in progress, press “Exit” to return to the "live" point.

Easy Reading
Change the font size in the TV-listing section of the Guide by going to Settings > Preferences > General.

Rock On    Listen to your free, personalized music channel with the Pandora App in the Apps section.

Never Miss a Score
Follow all the games on TV with the Sports App. Press the “C” key to launch and see scores, even while watching TV.

Video Controls
Access on-screen playback controls while watching any video by pressing the down arrow.

Restore a Program
Go to the DVR > Deleted section to restore a deleted DVR program.

Easy Sorting
Most On Demand menus sort content by popularity. To A-Z sort, press “A”, select the Sort button and then "By A to Z."

On Demand Filters
Filter any On Demand menu to view just New, HD or Premium listings. Press the “A” key and select the Filter button.

Quick Search On Demand
Search while browsing On Demand. Enter a title using the keypad’s number keys. This opens the search screen.

Official Employee

@mhhanc wrote:
Can you summarize the tips and tricks you mention? I would love to know what they are. Thanks!

Please see my recent post above this this thread.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Settings-Remote-amp-Equipment/m-p/1838921#M8...

Contributor

Daniel,

The tips are appreciated, but the point is more that some here other than Comcast told us about how to change the quick skip frequency as many of us prefer a thirty second skip.

We need some sort of compendium of these sorts of things.

Also, as I asked you, it would help greatly to know if our boxes got the full update or not as we at my place, for example, are still having station outage, menu lag, and short menu freezes.

Official Employee

Mike. You might have signal issues can you get to your diagnostic screen and check your upstream and downstream?

Contributor

Andrew,

Here are my readings:

Downstream Rcvd Power = -4.3dBmV
Downstream SNR = 36.1dB
Upstream Power = 52.0dBmV

BTW, thanks for the trick for getting at these settings. This is exactly the kind of thing that Daniel and Comcast doesn't understand we need when our service is not being provided as expected and the people we are talking to do not seem to understand our problems.

Frequent Visitor

MikeBravo Quote:

@MikeBravo wrote:
The box reverted to 720p and I had to reset it to 1080p60. Also, strangely, when I try to reset the audio from stereo to sourround sound, the surround sound from my Kenwood home theatre amp goes away. When I reset the box back to stereo I get my surround sound from my amp back.

Same thing happens to me over and over. Every morning I have to reset back to 1080p60. This issue is only happening on my main DVR box and not the smaller ones. I also have to reset the audio on ocassion from surround to stereo and back to surround in order for the amp to recognize the sound. So annoying to say the least. Never had to do this on my Legacy boxes.

Contributor

Pingers1,

Yes, there are a lot of strange, unanswered questions about this new box and service.

For example, the question has never been settled as to whether the X1 is delivering 1080p or merely upscaling the 1080i.

Interestingly, thanks to Andrew, I found on page 9 of the System values a line that says, I presume, that the box is delivering 1080 "progressive", which of course, is 1080p.

On a handful of channels it looks that good, just about Bluray quality, but on others it doesn't.

Frequent Visitor

@MikeBravo wrote:

Pingers1,

Yes, there are a lot of strange, unanswered questions about this new box and service.

For example, the question has never been settled as to whether the X1 is delivering 1080p or merely upscaling the 1080i.

Interestingly, thanks to Andrew, I found on page 9 of the System values a line that says, I presume, that the box is delivering 1080 "progressive", which of course, is 1080p.

On a handful of channels it looks that good, just about Bluray quality, but on others it doesn't.

Another strange issue I have is that my local channels audio is off sync. It only happens on the three local channels. (NBC, ABC, CBS) Obviously something to do with the feed. If it was ALL channels I would assume it was something to do with my audio setup.

Official Employee

The 52 is just a hair above spec the others are good. How many boxes do you have?

Contributor

I have one X1 DVR, a DCT-3501 DVR, and three digital adapters.

Official Employee

Re: My impression of the X1 DVR Box...... and "customer service"??

@Hammer74 wrote:

I've had the box for almost a week. So far the box has been great. I've got the any room setup, and they are working good so far. If I could get the channels that I'm supposed to get on the main DVR box, it would be great. I had to call on the install day to try and get all boxes setup to get all the channels, didn't work that night; two nights later called again, and the CSR fixed the two any room boxes within 20 mins. but I failed to check the DVR box....... still not all the channels. Called again the next night and the CSR couldn't get it fixed, said that a ticket had been opened. Two days later, still not fixed, called again and the CSR couldn't fix the channels, sent ticket to TIER 2 tech and said I would receive a call with in 48 hours.....nothing so far. Sorry about the long rant about not getting all my channels...... back to the X1 DVR. I just have the usual complaints that most every one else has. Need to get the day skip forward/back in the guide, having to delete a recording twice is a little annoying, but I can see the benefits it has. I've had one series that didn't record the other night. Would be nice to be able to change the color of the guide/menu as I'm already getting tired of the blah gray back ground. Let's hope that the dev. team get the bugs worked out and implements the features that we the customers are asking for.

Thanks for your suggestions Hammer74.

These are common requests and on our backlog for future consideration.

Could you tell me more about what you are looking for around deleting twice?  A single delete is enough to clear up drive space.  We just don't fully delete shows immediately in case you change your mind.  Its like the "trash can" on a computer.

Official Employee

Re: X1 DVR sluggish when controlled via IR Remote

@duckjump wrote:

ComcastKara, ComcastTed, etc.

I have now had the X1 DVR for about 6 weeks.   When I first got the box, I had a lot of issues with the box not responding to commands from the remote.  I switched the remote to RF mode and this fixed these issues.  I now have a need to keep the remote in IR mode and when I unpaired the remote to move it back to IR mode I noticed the same issues came back.  (Basically if you hit the buttons on the remote, sometimes up to 5 button pushes in a row will not be seen by the X1 DVR box.  The green light does not blink  on the front of the box during several button pushes.  It is not as if it is back up and then suddenly accepts all the commands and catches up.   It completely misses them.  I have tested this with direct line of sight to the box from varying distances up to a few feet away.)

My question is have the issues with the box not responding to IR commands been fixed, or is the only solution to run the remote in RF mode.  

I will need to run the remote in IR mode for two reasons.  1) I would like to get a seperate DTA in another room and use this remote to control.   2) I would like to setup my Logitech Universal remote to control my complete system.  (After trying this, the Logitech remote has the same issues as the Comcast XR2 remote in that the X1 DVR misses multiple commands frequently and makes operation extremely sluggish)  This tells me that The X1 DVR does not like to be controlled via IR all together.   There should be no preformance differnences between RF and IR except for the range extension benefit of using IR.   

I was on the phone with tech support 3 times yesterday (always the same excuses, "your box is out of sync, we will reset it....."  )   Ultimately, I have a tech coming out Wednesday, however, I am skeptical if there is anything he can do.  If the box doesn't work well while being controlled VIA IR control, there will be nothing he can do.  

Your input is greatly appreciated, I am extremely frustrated.   

Hi duckjump - sorry to hear you are frustrated. 

The fact that the set top isn't showing the green light when you press the button on your remote means that somehow it isn't receiving the signal.  I'm grasping at straws here - but maybe try replacing the remote batteries. 

Official Employee

@melreed312 wrote:

X1 primary box does not have an IR extender/receiver input.  Called customer support to see if there is a different IR extender recommended (the secondary box has the normal input like the old dvr boxes) and Comcast tranfered me 4 times, still without a resolution. (Called the support number listed on the X1 user's guide, then was transfered to X1 support, who transfered me to sales, who transfered me back to X1 support.)

How is it THIS difficult for Comcast people to find the appropriate department to answer questions?!

Thanks for your question melreed312.

The RNG-150 (non-DVR) set-top has an IR input port so to extend the range of your remote control or to place the set-top out of site you can use a hard wired IR extender.  

The XG1 DVR set-top box does not have an IR input port so an IR repeater is needed.  The repeater senses the IR signal in visible location (for example by the TV) passes it along a wire to the XG1 (for example in the AV closet) then then emits the same IR signal pattern directly in front of the XG1.

Official Employee

@jushooks wrote:

Is there a way to set the resolution to the native resolution of the channel?  For example, ESPN's native resolution is 720 and HBO's resolution is 1080.  I want the box to switch back and forth between the two like the old boxes did.  Also, what is 1080p60?  What is the 60?

Thanks for your suggestions jushooks.
There is currently no native setting but this feature is on our backlog for future consideration.

The 60 in 1080p60 refers to the frames per second that the TV screen refreshes.  The higher the rate, the smoother any quick movements appear on the screen.

Official Employee

@jushooks wrote:

Here are improvements that I think are needed:

1.  Ability to switch resolution to channel native.

2.  Extend "record after" times to at lest an hour.

3.  Be able to see just one channel's line up for the future. I want to press guide and be able to go to one particular channel's programming for the next week quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions jushooks - I've passed them to the Product Management team.

Regarding request #3 - this might help:

Press the right arrow to use the Mini-Guide to see what’s on the current channel now. Press again to preview up to 14 days ahead.

Official Employee

@matthewnadeau3 wrote:

Just finished reading the 26 pages making up this post.  I share many of the frustrations with the lack of features that were present in the past DVR version.  I have a couple of additional notes/questions/comments that I haven't seen addressed:

1. With my old DVR, I used to be able to save searches that I used frequently.  For instance, I had "Documentary 2012" saved and I could periodically search to see newly released documentaries.  I don't see an easy way to do something similar with the X1.  I can go in to "On Demand" and do some filtering to find new movies, but I think that there are some movies showing that aren't listed in "On Demand".

2.  It would be nice to have a "Delete All" feature in the "Deleted" section.  I personally don't like the fact that I have to delete a program twice (delete and then erase), but if there was a more efficient way of doing this, it would be less annoying.

3.  There are some references to the universal remotes (e.g. Harmony).  Do these have options for solutions to the X1 remote deficiencies (e.g. having a + / - 5 minute skip AND a + / - 30 second skip)?

4.  My remote seems to lock up occasionally - the DVR is getting the signals because I can see the green light flash, but the power and volume buttons are the only functions that work.  After I reboot the DVR, then the remote resumes functionality.

5.  The lack of the DVR manager is frustrating - I would like to be able to go to my "Dexter" recording to confirm that the next episodes are scheduled.  Instead, I need to go to the "Scheduled Recordings" and check multiple days to confirm that the recordings are scheduled.

I think that the X1 platform has the potential to be a good system if we can't get functionality that was present in past versions.

Thanks for your suggestions matthewnadeau3 - I've shared your comment with the product management team.

Regarding #5 - If you go to the series page for the show and look at the episode guide -  you will see all the episodes that are available - and can check if they are scheduled to record.

Regular Contributor

Regarding number 5 I have found that confirming a program is selected is no guarantee that the program will be recorded. I have bad many skips.
Regular Contributor

ComcastDanielS wrote

Regarding #5 - If you go to the series page for the show and look at the episode guide -  you will see all the episodes that are available - and can check if they are scheduled to record.

Not entirely true. Many times I have gone into the series page for a show, and it doesn't show all the upcoming episodes. Case in point; my X1 was supposed to, but did not record Episode 1 of Cold Justice. I went to the next scheduled time, clicked on episode guide, and episode 1 did not show up in the list. I then went to the guide, and manually skimmed thru, and sure enough, episode 1 was airing a couple of days later. This also happenes every time I view the episode guide for upcoming Phillies games. It never lists all of the upcoming games, just a few. And it has no pattern to it. It will show Wednesday, and Saturday, but not Tuesday or Friday. Then next week, it will show Monday and Thursday, but not Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. BTW, about 10 posts just vanished from the site. It had 1503 total posts, and when I refreshed, it dropped to 1493.

Contributor

Just to confirm and add to what was said............I have a Series recording for the Daily Show which was one show that HAD consistently recorded.  Last night, I noticed that I had the Colbert show in my recordings but not the Daily Show which records one half hour earlier.  I looked in scheduled and it wasn't there.  I knew it runs again at 1AM, so I selected the 1AM single episode to record.  After 1:30AM, it was in my recordings.  However, when selecting view recording, it switched to a screen with a very large DVR in the middle it would never play no matter how I went after it or when I tried.  I continued to hear the audio from the station that had been on when the big DVR was printed on the screen.  I eventually erased it this AM.   After that, since it was about 3AM PDT and already tomorrow on the east coast, I decided to check if I could watch it on On Demand.  I pulled up the Daily Show, went to info and then went to the Episode Guide.  There were only a couple of more current episode available.  Speaking of On Demand, I don't know if I am alone in this, but I hate the new set up.  If I am browsing for something to watch, maybe NetFlix like pictures with tiny gray print would work.  However, when I know what I want, like a Documentary from ShowTime or an episode of the Daily Show I missed, the Comcast On Demand App is worthless.  You have to go to search.  Plus, not all shows or networks available have a pretty little picture.

Regular Contributor

Surround Sound When Viewing Recordings on Satellite Box

Hello,

Can one get surround sound when viewing a recording on the satellite box that is stored on the main X1 DVR?  Mine always come across the MOCA network as stereo only.  The same recording plays in surround on the DVR itself.

Satellite box is set to surround and will output surround on other channels and OnDemand.  Is this a limitation of remote viewing?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Surround Sound When Viewing Recordings on Satellite Box

My X1 is still messed up even after the the latest software update as the biggest problems i am having now are some shows that are schelduled to be recorded are not being recorded and shows that are already have been recorded are being deleted on its own even when my memory is just over 50% full and its not the oldest shows being deleted by the system.

Frequent Visitor

I have a huge problem with some of the lost conveniences and lame settings for the X-1. 

1) why can't I just input the channel I want to go to and have it auto-tune to that channel like the old way?

2) first, I can't believe that when you go into On Demand and want to look at the different categories of movies/tv shows that are on, they don't show up alphabetically, but "By Default" is shown and By Default seems to mean that in categories that can contain hundreds of shows, they are scattered in no logical way (X-Files might show up in the middle of the first row and Back to the Future might show up 3/4 of the way down the list).  I then found that by using the A button, I can sort the categories by alphabet if I want to - yea!!  Well, after I did that with ALL the categories on all 3 tv's and was so tired of doing it, but pleased that I wouldn't have to wander through a totally illogical list of shows anymore because now they'd all be alphabetical --- I then turned the tv's on the next day (after powering off the night before when I'd finished doing all that) ONLY TO FIND THAT THEY'D ALL GONE BACK TO THE 'BY DEFAULT' sorting and all were all scattered around again in no logical order!!!  What lame ignat was not realizing that in categories where there are 100, 200, 300, 400, etc., shows to go through - the best DEFAULT should be alphabetical to start with and not all scattered around!  Somebody needs to fix that - at least make it where if it's changed to sorting alphabetically, it doesn't change back after power off!!!!  Dumb idea!!!

3) I've got enough clocks in my house - I'd rather be able to look at the cable box and see what channel I'm on (like the old boxes had the option to do) rather than have to pick up the remote and hit the button so that I can see or confirm what channel I'm on. Better yet - it should be an option in the Tools section and Preferences that all On Demand Categories should be shown as Alphabetical, so that you only have to hit that option 1 time and all categories show up that way. That's the way they always were on the old box/guide - somebody knew on that box/guide to start with them alphabetical - no reason they can't do the same here.