Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

I've been able to update my main X1 box, but the non-dvr box in the bedroom (PRN150BNM) isn't allowing me to update...when I click on UPDATE...it tells me that the set top box cannot update. The current version is June 22,2013 and I hear I should have Aug 14. I also notice some of the APPS that are available on the DVR box in the living room are not available in the bedroom.

How can I get this bedroom box to update?

Diamond Problem Solver

There's only some apps that show on the DVR

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

So do these questions actually get answered or is this forum just to vent our frustration? Smiley Wink

Typical Comcast if your gonna do something don't bother to do it right! 

But just in case somebody answers this thread...

Why can't I get the X1 box to stay in surrond sound mode? My old box did it just fine but the new one can't? 

Also I try to do an update but just get a message "set-top box was unable to request an updated version"

Why can't I set up DVR recordings on-line?

Valued Contributor

@davephillips41 wrote:

I've been able to update my main X1 box, but the non-dvr box in the bedroom (PRN150BNM) isn't allowing me to update...when I click on UPDATE...it tells me that the set top box cannot update. The current version is June 22,2013 and I hear I should have Aug 14. I also notice some of the APPS that are available on the DVR box in the living room are not available in the bedroom.

How can I get this bedroom box to update?

ahve this exact same problem and have yet to figure out a way to get the bedroom box to update.

New Poster

Have had the box for two days and the only problem I am having is that the remote stops controlling the cable box for 5-10 minutes after I turn on the tv, eve if I do so manually. In other words, with the tv off and cable box on, I can press buttons on the remote and see the green remote light on the box illuminate. But as soon as I press the power button on the tv the box no longer responds. It seems as if as soon as I turn on the tv the whole remote defaults to tv mode.
Contributor

Re: X1 – Red light still on

Record light problem Fixed last night.

Frequent Visitor

Got X1 installed yesterday, tech left before it finished rebooting. Needless to say, both boxes never finished rebooting. They are both stuck on the first progress dot and the box displays"case". Tech can't come out till Friday so that's 3 days without service
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@bryan321 wrote:
Got X1 installed yesterday, tech left before it finished rebooting. Needless to say, both boxes never finished rebooting. They are both stuck on the first progress dot and the box displays"case". Tech can't come out till Friday so that's 3 days without service

I sent you a PM to gather some info. Techs should not leave the house until the installation, including booting, is complete. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@bryan321 wrote:

I would get a full credit for those 3 days, and a credit for any installation charge they charged you, and the $20 for not doing the installation correctly.

Not applicable

A new problem every day...  When I set recordings now via the guide-- whether a series or one time event-- nothing shows up on scheduled recordings.  Seriously this is the most frustrating system and I can't believe this went through any QC.  Suggestions?  Rebooted my box yesterday or the day before.

Frequent Visitor

wrote:

A new problem every day...  When I set recordings now via the guide-- whether a series or one time event-- nothing shows up on scheduled recordings.  Seriously this is the most frustrating system and I can't believe this went through any QC.  Suggestions?  Rebooted my box yesterday or the day before.

I'm having the exact same issue, are all your previous set recordings still working fine?  I rebooted by menu, by button and by pulling the power twice and no new recordings will schedule from any source (online, app,guide,search).

Regular Contributor

Lost a lot of channels this evening - BBC America (756) for example is no longer in the guide, but when I type the number on the reomte in I see BBCAM there, but if I press OK  if goes nowhere.

I don't know what all else is missing since I don't have the lineup memorized, but there's plenty gone - reboot does no good.

Customer Service sent my wife to the X1 void after a 20 minute hold - and then the transfer was cut off.  I hope they have their heat sheilds up when I finally get connected. :

Regular Visitor

How?  I'm still having the "red light on continously" problem.

Regular Contributor

My record light gets stuck occasionally too
Contributor

I had a ticket opended with tier 2.  Two days ago at 7 PM the light just went out.  I called support they still had the ticket open, they did not know how it was fixed.

Regular Contributor

@mhhanc wrote:

We are aware of the recording light issue and trying to get a fix out into product ASAP

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@mhhanc wrote:

We are aware of the recording light issue and trying to get a fix out into product ASAP

how about the no new recordings being scheduled issue, is this a known bug that needs to be fixed, as I'm not really into paying for a service that I cannot use, and with the new TV season getting under way, it really sucks to not be able to setup any new recordings.

Regular Contributor

@Newx1user wrote:

The red light is still on with nothing recording.

Known issue - we are trying to get a fix out to production ASAP

Regular Contributor

@Jsapp230 wrote:
There are tons of responses and I am not finding my specific answers. I have found out how to program my favorite channels. Now my question, is there a way to just push a button to scroll through the channels. I realize I can see the guide with my shows, but sometimes its easier just to flip channels.
Also, the A and D buttons do nothing for me alone, (B is search, C is sports)....is there a way to program them for such an action as described above?
Last question, is there a way to have more than one favorites list? I would like to separate our favorite channels out by family members.

If these are not possible now, maybe soon,,,,,yes, Comcast hint hint... Smiley Happy

Thanks

hint taken! i've shared this suggestion with our product management team. 

Regular Contributor

@davephillips41 wrote:

Worked perfect. Updated the box from June 4 to Aug. 14 and also now shows the scheduled recordings like it should. Thanks for the help.

good news - keep us posted. 

Regular Contributor

Re: day skip on X1?

@Huntersdad wrote:

@bendmitchell wrote:

Is there the day skip feature on the X1 platform like there was on the old DVR's?  I can't seem to find it.

I want to know too...  Havent seen something so practical.

Poor Kara.

This is a known feature request and very high on our future enhancement backlog. I do not have timing, but the entire organization understands the need for this feature. 

:-)

Regular Contributor

What about the problem where I can't update my satellite box? A few of us have that same issue.
Regular Contributor

X1 - Q3 Platform User Guide

Q3 User Guide attached

Valued Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@davephillips41 wrote:

Worked perfect. Updated the box from June 4 to Aug. 14 and also now shows the scheduled recordings like it should. Thanks for the help.

good news - keep us posted. 

davephillips41.......Were you able to update your box?  What did they tell you to do that made it update?, because I still cannot update one of my boxes.

Regular Contributor

@screenname137 wrote:

Lost a lot of channels this evening - BBC America (756) for example is no longer in the guide, but when I type the number on the remote in I see BBCAM there, but if I press OK  if goes nowhere.

I don't know what all else is missing since I don't have the lineup memorized, but there's plenty gone - reboot does no good.

Customer Service sent my wife to the X1 void after a 20 minute hold - and then the transfer was cut off.  I hope they have their heat shields up when I finally get connected. :

Finally got hold of support - and the guy starts off babbling something about how the HDMI cable "has to do a lot of work" and maybe it is loose... OMFG - what is Comcast doing to train these people and why are they hiring AV support people who have no clue at all about how even the simplest thing about these boxes works?

At any rate, then he finally discovers that we have an X1 box and sends us off to X1 support again where they try some reset codes that solve nothing, then open a support ticket with no specified time frame for restoring 20 or so missing channels - still missing today. 

I am so ready to be done with this Comcast debacle - no way it is worth the money - even if it worked well the value is debatable.  And the abysmal support is a ton of salt in the wound.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - Q3 Platform User Guide

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

Q3 User Guide attached

Although this attachment says it is an X1 Guide, it is really an "overview" of all Xfinity Features and doesn't go into depth on the X1 at all.

Is there an actual manual that explains what the color coded buttons do - completely?  There are many other "tricks" that have been discovered and posted in this forum about Favorites, extended recording time, deleting/erasing, etc that are not documented anywhere in any manuals I have found - and finding these tips/tricks on the forum is not trivial.

I was excited to see an "updated manual" until I opened it and saw that it was really nothing.  Can we please get some decent documentation on these X1 boxes. 

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Can you summarize the tips and tricks you mention? I would love to know what they are. Thanks!
Frequent Visitor

@johnnyp wrote:

I had the x1 installed one week ago. 

I have the Main X1 in our living room.  It seems to work okay. 

That's DEFINITELY where the happy story ends.

The 3 bedrooms (that used to have HD Tivos) now have the satellite boxes.

They cannot schedule or watch recorded TV

They cannot pause Live TV.

I have had 2 Service calls who tell me it's just a known (and unannoucned) problem with x1 "because it's cloud based" so nothing can be done as of now.

I could not be more diasappointed.  Say it ain't so, please.

After 2 tech visits, with no idea, 3 calls to X1 Service (30 min hold time) only to be told Tier 2 would call me back (they don't), I finally found a Comcast guy last night who said the power inverter (which powers the newly installed line amp that was put in to get my signal up to X1 strength) is probably block the MoCA signals and that's why my 3 boxes can't talk to the X1.  

The bad news is that they can't get a guy out until next Wed (which will be 3 weeks without DVR) and I am hoping that this guy will have some great ingenuity or invention and will boost my signal db while not blocking the MoCA signal.

I also believe in the tooth fairy.

Still hatin the X1 life.

Regular Contributor

@mhhanc wrote:
Can you summarize the tips and tricks you mention? I would love to know what they are. Thanks!

that's my point - if I knew them well enough to summarize them then I wouldn't need a manual - and I don't make this equipment - why should I have to create a user guide for it?

Regular Contributor

@johnnyp wrote:

@johnnyp wrote:

I have had 2 Service calls who tell me it's just a known (and unannoucned) problem with x1 "because it's cloud based" so nothing can be done as of now.

After 2 tech visits, with no idea, 3 calls to X1 Service (30 min hold time) only to be told Tier 2 would call me back (they don't), I finally found a Comcast guy last night who said the power inverter (which powers the newly installed line amp that was put in to get my signal up to X1 strength) is probably block the MoCA signals and that's why my 3 boxes can't talk to the X1.  

The bad news is that they can't get a guy out until next Wed (which will be 3 weeks without DVR) and I am hoping that this guy will have some great ingenuity or invention and will boost my signal db while not blocking the MoCA signal.

Still hatin the X1 life.

I was reading on the TIVO site about MoCA last night and they also mention that a powered splitter "may" conflict with MoCA.  I have eight drops off a powered splitter - no way the signal would be enough without it, so I don't know how MoCA could work for me either.  The only way to know for sure would be to try it - I'd have to buy a pair of MoCA adapters to test before getting into any of that. 

Of course TIVO can also use regular wired ethernet - I don't think Comcast can do that.

I'll be curious to know what your solution turns out to be....

Regular Contributor

I haven't been able to update my satellite box. I was able to update the main box.

Contributor

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

Is it true the X1 boxes are going to get the X2 upgrade this month or October?
Contributor

Here's a new one I think...I scheduled a show to record @2:00pm.  At 3:00pm I decided to watch it.  It's not there but it is still listed under the "Scheduled" shows. Hit it and it played!!!???

New Poster

X1 primary box does not have an IR extender/receiver input.  Called customer support to see if there is a different IR extender recommended (the secondary box has the normal input like the old dvr boxes) and Comcast tranfered me 4 times, still without a resolution. (Called the support number listed on the X1 user's guide, then was transfered to X1 support, who transfered me to sales, who transfered me back to X1 support.)

How is it THIS difficult for Comcast people to find the appropriate department to answer questions?!

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@bryan321 wrote:

I sent you a PM to gather some info. Techs should not leave the house until the installation, including booting, is complete. 

Thanks for your help Kara.  I got a call and they were able to come out one day earlier.  The original tech installed the amp wrong.  So far, everything is working great so lets hope the DVR issues leave me alone

Will call billing tomorow and hope that goes smoothly as well

Contributor

Did you install a passive or active line amp.What are your upstream and downstream signals.The amp will no affect the MoCa filter.Does Comcast have the anyroom billing code set up on your account

@johnnyp wrote:

@johnnyp wrote:

Still hatin the X1 life.

New Poster

My impression of the X1 DVR Box...... and "customer service"??

I've had the box for almost a week. So far the box has been great. I've got the any room setup, and they are working good so far. If I could get the channels that I'm supposed to get on the main DVR box, it would be great. I had to call on the install day to try and get all boxes setup to get all the channels, didn't work that night; two nights later called again, and the CSR fixed the two any room boxes within 20 mins. but I failed to check the DVR box....... still not all the channels. Called again the next night and the CSR couldn't get it fixed, said that a ticket had been opened. Two days later, still not fixed, called again and the CSR couldn't fix the channels, sent ticket to TIER 2 tech and said I would receive a call with in 48 hours.....nothing so far. Sorry about the long rant about not getting all my channels...... back to the X1 DVR. I just have the usual complaints that most every one else has. Need to get the day skip forward/back in the guide, having to delete a recording twice is a little annoying, but I can see the benefits it has. I've had one series that didn't record the other night. Would be nice to be able to change the color of the guide/menu as I'm already getting tired of the blah gray back ground. Let's hope that the dev. team get the bugs worked out and implements the features that we the customers are asking for.

New Poster

Recoding Issue

I am unable to record a live program with my x1 remote. Any ideas?
Regular Visitor

Re: PA PR150BNM cable box problems

your cables could possibly be the problem. i was told i would have issues with my x1 because my cables were old and would not suuport the new boxes. comcast said i had to replace the inside wall cables at my own expense.

Frequent Visitor

X1 DVR sluggish when controlled via IR Remote

ComcastKara, ComcastTed, etc.

I have now had the X1 DVR for about 6 weeks.   When I first got the box, I had a lot of issues with the box not responding to commands from the remote.  I switched the remote to RF mode and this fixed these issues.  I now have a need to keep the remote in IR mode and when I unpaired the remote to move it back to IR mode I noticed the same issues came back.  (Basically if you hit the buttons on the remote, sometimes up to 5 button pushes in a row will not be seen by the X1 DVR box.  The green light does not blink  on the front of the box during several button pushes.  It is not as if it is back up and then suddenly accepts all the commands and catches up.   It completely misses them.  I have tested this with direct line of sight to the box from varying distances up to a few feet away.)

My question is have the issues with the box not responding to IR commands been fixed, or is the only solution to run the remote in RF mode.  

I will need to run the remote in IR mode for two reasons.  1) I would like to get a seperate DTA in another room and use this remote to control.   2) I would like to setup my Logitech Universal remote to control my complete system.  (After trying this, the Logitech remote has the same issues as the Comcast XR2 remote in that the X1 DVR misses multiple commands frequently and makes operation extremely sluggish)  This tells me that The X1 DVR does not like to be controlled via IR all together.   There should be no preformance differnences between RF and IR except for the range extension benefit of using IR.   

I was on the phone with tech support 3 times yesterday (always the same excuses, "your box is out of sync, we will reset it....."  )   Ultimately, I have a tech coming out Wednesday, however, I am skeptical if there is anything he can do.  If the box doesn't work well while being controlled VIA IR control, there will be nothing he can do.  

Your input is greatly appreciated, I am extremely frustrated.   

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Is there a way to set the resolution to the native resolution of the channel?  For example, ESPN's native resolution is 720 and HBO's resolution is 1080.  I want the box to switch back and forth between the two like the old boxes did.  Also, what is 1080p60?  What is the 60?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply Spike
The Installer added a power (active) line amp at the point of entry to the house, and the power is injected on a splitter inverter going into the back of the X1.
I am very disillusioned about the discovery that the other boxes can't pause live tv for phone calls, bathroom trips, etc - not to mention replay.  That is a dealbreaker.  It's like stepping back into the 1980's.
The 3 satellite boxes are going back. I will keep the X1 unit itself.
I am bringing my HD TiVos back out and after a little homework, I bought Netgear NeoTV boxes for my son and my daughter's rooms. 
This gives them cable channels through the Slingbox apps in HD, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Intel Widi from their laptops AND NO MONTHLY FEE.
The X1 as a whole house system is way too far NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.

@Spike120 wrote:

Did you install a passive or active line amp.What are your upstream and downstream signals.The amp will no affect the MoCa filter.Does Comcast have the anyroom billing code set up on your account

@johnnyp wrote:

@johnnyp wrote:

Still hatin the X1 life.

Contributor

Re: X1 - Rebooting / Audio & Visual resetting

Mine does the exact same thing. Every night at 2AM whether I happen to be watching something or not. Just shuts itself saying xfinity needs to be upgraded and it will only take a few moments (which it does) I just don't understand WHY it needs to upgrade EVERY night...

New Poster

Here are improvements that I think are needed:

1.  Ability to switch resolution to channel native.

2.  Extend "record after" times to at lest an hour.

3.  Be able to see just one channel's line up for the future. I want to press guide and be able to go to one particular channel's programming for the next week quickly.

Contributor

Mine is doing the same thing...And BOY is it annoying!

Regular Contributor

What's even more annoying that needs to be fixed is when I set up a recording, it doesn't take it and list it in "Scheduled Recordings". Seems like it's hit or miss on that.

Not only that, but why do I have to go to Scheduled Recordings anyway. Can it mark the program in the guide with a red dot???

New Poster

Just finished reading the 26 pages making up this post.  I share many of the frustrations with the lack of features that were present in the past DVR version.  I have a couple of additional notes/questions/comments that I haven't seen addressed:

1. With my old DVR, I used to be able to save searches that I used frequently.  For instance, I had "Documentary 2012" saved and I could periodically search to see newly released documentaries.  I don't see an easy way to do something similar with the X1.  I can go in to "On Demand" and do some filtering to find new movies, but I think that there are some movies showing that aren't listed in "On Demand".

2.  It would be nice to have a "Delete All" feature in the "Deleted" section.  I personally don't like the fact that I have to delete a program twice (delete and then erase), but if there was a more efficient way of doing this, it would be less annoying.

3.  There are some references to the universal remotes (e.g. Harmony).  Do these have options for solutions to the X1 remote deficiencies (e.g. having a + / - 5 minute skip AND a + / - 30 second skip)?

4.  My remote seems to lock up occasionally - the DVR is getting the signals because I can see the green light flash, but the power and volume buttons are the only functions that work.  After I reboot the DVR, then the remote resumes functionality.

5.  The lack of the DVR manager is frustrating - I would like to be able to go to my "Dexter" recording to confirm that the next episodes are scheduled.  Instead, I need to go to the "Scheduled Recordings" and check multiple days to confirm that the recordings are scheduled.

I think that the X1 platform has the potential to be a good system if we can't get functionality that was present in past versions.

Regular Visitor

OK, so I have read all the X1 complaints and I think this is hopelesss. It is so bad I can't imagine it can be fixed with new versions or upgrades. So I have called Comcast business and asked for my previous box back. Which they agree to do without charge. Sounded like my requrest was not the first.

Here are three completely unacceptable features (all worked fine on my previous box);

1.There is no day up and day down on the guide. You have to scroll through every day all 24 hours.

2. The guide doesn't have a category list, movies, sports, news, etc. How dumb is that omission. Such an obviously useful utility to seatch under sports for tennis, for example. Or see wll the movies currently playing or exercise shows, whatever.

3. Worst of all: what is the reason for recording a program on your DVR -- timeshifing? So you can scoll through the commercials. Now many of the programs I "record" are not actually recorded but listed in my saved selections to view On demand. And, many of the cable stations now prohibit fast forwarding when viewing On Demand. Also, the programs set to be "recorded" (if they are in the fake recording On Demand mode) do not indicate a red botton on the guide so you can't see easily what you have set up to record. And, they don't appear in the schedulded recordings inder Saved. You just have to make lists I guess of what you are planning to watch.

Strangely, some shows do actually seem to record on the DVR. The person I spoke to today in tech support (who, by the way says she is inunderated with complaints about X1 and agreed with all of my issues). said that "if the program is available On Demand is doesn't record on DVR.

Didn't anyone do any testing of this equipment with acutal users? It seems so flawed it's hard to conceive how it can be rolling out in cities.

New Poster

X2 remote losses connection with X1 STB several time a day - real pain in the rear.  When the remote loses connection, the light registers on the STB as I press button but there is no response.  Fro example, I press the xfiniti button but nothing happens except the light blinks on the front panel of the STB.

I have tried to reset STB, check for updates, and changed batteries.  The only fix that I have found is to turn off the STB, wait 10-15 secs and then turn back on using the power button on the front panel.

Does anybody have this issue and know how to fix?