Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Problem and wish list Summary

@tcdmytryk wrote:
I don't know why it was installed, ask the tech.

So is it connected to the X1 cable box in some way?

Trying to get an idea of how it relates to X1 as there shouldn't be a need for a modem or anything else really for an X1 box to work, and most, if essentially all who had it installed didn't really need a modem or anything else in conjunction with it.

New Poster

Cable comes into house. Because we also have telephone and international we must leave the modem ON to make those services work. Before X1 I had "wireless" and a wireless router.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

The lettering on my X1 HD box is not level. It looks wavy. Anyway I can fix this? When the Comcast tech was here installing the service he didn't know how to fix it. It only seems to be on 

Problem Solver

@tcdmytryk wrote:
Cable comes into house. Because we also have telephone and international we must leave the modem ON to make those services work. Before X1 I had "wireless" and a wireless router.

I see.  You can probably try the Xfinity Internet subforum that might be able to provide some more information in relation to Comcast Wi-Fi, modems, routers, etc. at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/bd-p/10

Problem Solver

@lancelopes wrote:

The lettering on my X1 HD box is not level. It looks wavy. Anyway I can fix this? When the Comcast tech was here installing the service he didn't know how to fix it. It only seems to be on 

Lettering where, in the menus on the screen, the guide, everywhere?

Frequent Visitor

The lettering on my X1 HD box is not level. It looks wavy. Anyway I can fix this? When the Comcast tech was here installing the service he didn't know how to fix it. It only seems to be on 1 of my Tv's - Samsung UN46EH6030. 

Best example I could get with my camera: http://i.imgur.com/ki7dUte.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Sorry my computer glitched and posted it before I could finish my post. You can see my full post above

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Question on X1 boxes

I am getting X1 installed this coming Monday. I just wanted to know what is the model of the DVR box and the non-DVR box I will get so I can look at it online.

Diamond Problem Solver

The 862 have the ability to have a"guest" hotspot enabled that's what the second wireless network is

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I don't want the 1st wireless. Can I disable the primary wireless?
New Poster

Lets drop this discussion, my old "non-wireless" is coming back tomorrow.
Frequent Visitor

I had that issue on my non-DVR X1 box, too. Updating the software fixed the issue for me.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Does X1 have anything like the old category and sub-category search menus?

I am writing this post to highlight the GLARING issues I've found after a week with the X1 system (I came from the previous Anyroom DVR, Moto DCX-3500).  I write this in the hopes someone from Comcast actually looks at these posts and can submit these issues internally.

First off, I have to say that for a system that's been deployed in my area for over a year, it's absurd that there are still so many basic issues.  Like many of you, I was sick of the 1999-era iGuide menu on the Moto boxes and even picked up Triple Play in part just to get the X1 platform (I will never use Comcast Voice).  Although the iGuide was very stable, there have been very few updates and the frankly the guide itself is an embarrassment.  When Comcast started the Tivo trials on the Moto boxes, I signed up.  Despite some early issues, I generally liked the service.  I never that the coming to the X1 platform an entire YEAR after it launched there would still be so many problems--the Comcast/TiVo software was 10,000 more stable and functional than this!!!  Also, why does your new platform still have only 500gb of storage?  DirecTV & Dish offer 1 & 2TB of storage and they use MPEG4 (which uses almost 50% less storage space)!  That means that a 1TB DirecTV box offers almost 4 times of your 500gb X1 DVR--and their 2TB box has almost 8 times the amount of storage!

Also, who designed these new remotes?  After all of the feedback, why haven't they--at the very LEAST--updated the XR2/XR5 remote to incorporate a source/input button and a STB power button?  This shouldn't even be discussed anymore--EVERY other cable & satellite company has these features on their remotes!  Fix it!!!

Aside from the general sluggishness of the DVR box (and the satellite boxes require a full 1-2 seconds after pressing buttons for them to register), here are the main issues:

1.  Why isn't there a record option for shows that allows only recording for that channel, at that time--either daily or weekly?  (Example, The Daily Show only airs new episodes Mon-Thurs. from 11-11:30pm on Comedy Central.  Why can't I ensure that the X1 only records airings at that time, so my DVR doesn't fill up with duplicates?)  Side note: I almost NEVER had the duplicate recording issue using the iGuide, and I have it with almost every show on X1.  The Daily Show, Pardon the Interruption and many other shows will record the same episode multiple times erroneously.  If the 10+ year old iGuide (and 3 year old DVR box) didn't have this problem, why do I now have it with the 'state-of-the-art' X1?

2.  They need to allow for better customization of the guide interface.  As other poster have mentioned, I don't understand why the guide can't highlight program titles with colors (aka purple for movie, green for sports...etc) to better highlight the programming--just as almost every other cable/satellite company.  
a.  Also, why can't the description of the show/move/sporting event be listed in smaller text on the line below the title of the program (rather than having to click the info button to read every program)?  
b.  Another idea, allow users to decide which guide setup they get when they press the guide button.  I would guess that many (most?) of us would prefer the grid-guide to open automatically, instead of having to  press menu twice to get to it.
c.  Also, it is absurd that when I press the channel I want say 849 (for ESPN-HD) that the guide makes me then press the 'OK' button because it thinks I might be typing the name of a program--that needs to be disabled, as some of us know the channel we want to select!
d.  I know this is asked/commented/complained about a lot here, but the lag time in the guide--particularly on the satellite box(es) is incredibly slow.  For that reason alone I am seriously considering either going back to the DCX boxes or just finally moving along to satellite.

3.  When in On-Demand, there needs to be better filters for movies, especially since Rotten Tomatoes is already integrated.  For instance, Streampix has 100's of movies, but I can't filter by genre or Rotten Tomato rating??  
a.  Also, why can't the X1 remember that I'm only interested in HD on-Demand programing?  Why do I need to create the filter EVERY TIME I enter the on-demand menu?
b.  I don't understand why the guide, preferences, apps, DVR & on-Demand need to be access from the same 'Xfinity' button--what a waste of time to find the option you want!  It is obvious that you're trying to 'dumb-down' the box so everything is accessible from one menu, but it takes a surprising amount of time (and clicks) to get where you're trying to go.  Why can't we have separate DVR, on-Demand & then 'Xfinity' button for apps/games, settings & search?

4.  I know this has already been mentioned a lot, and (as you can see above) there are several more pressing issues, by why can't the X1 remember the settings for power & clock brightness?  It resets to '10' for both of them every time the box turns off.

One last comment, I just read that Comcast is now working with EA to include games in the X1 platform?  Guys, you are a year into the official launch of the X1 platform and basic things like DVR recordings still aren't working correctly!  You need to learn to crawl BEFORE you walk!  I really want to like the X1 platform but the massive number of issues that are still unaddressed make me worried that I'll need to switch (boxes and/or providers) soon, if only for my sanity!

If you guys agree with this post, please quote it in your reply--perhaps the more noise we make, the more seriously they will address these problems!

Contributor

Okay I'm going to reply to a few things here. 

My main X1 DVR has a 1TB HDD in it and the X1 has an ESATA port on the back allowing you to get the WD DVR External Enclosure. This should alleviate further space issues in the future if needed. 

1. It Does! Go to the main guide then select the channel name on the left hand side and select the recording options. That's per channel options. When you select a particular series on the X1 you can go into recording options of that program to record only NEW shows.

2. They do this.... but it isn't a highlight it is a Colored bar on the left hand title of particular programming I.E. Movies and the like.

a. not really fond of this idea... I feel it would clutter the guide too much. 

b. Click the XFINITY button the full screen guid is right there.

Also I'd rather see the mini guid first rather than the big guid. While I'm watching a show I would just use the mini guid to brows some channels then quickly close it without it taking up my whole screen.

c. I could go either way on this... There could be an option to have it enabled or disabled. But this is handy when doing a quick search. 

d. These boxes are going to be replaced in the future with more features as comcast has known about the issue and has gone back and forth on changes. The newer boxes should remidy the "Can't pause live tv issue" and the slowness of the guid with more ram and flash memory. (As I see the issues being resolved.) 

3. Guide changes are being made, as I understand reading some reps posts. However, they might take a while as they filter through some other bugs.

a. Agree, needs to be something like the HD auto tune feature but for On Demand. 

b. the Remote has that functionality particularly the "A" through "D" keys the "C" key and "B" already being used for some features. (also these remotes/buttons can be reprogrammed.) However, you have to remember we are in a Beta program stuff will change as people report issues. These are not the final form of the remots. While you are waiting however, IIRC you can still use the older remotes with the X1 system. I know I saw something about that in here.  

4. Please update your box to the latest revision those issues have been fixed.

Frequent Visitor

@wtalexander wrote:

Will the X1 box notify me when there is an update?

Contributor

@lancelopes wrote:

@wtalexander wrote:

Will the X1 box notify me when there is an update?

Short answer no.

The X1 should be pushed the update automatically on late nights/early mornings; if not, you can do a manual check by going into the gear icon in the Xfinity menu and going to the last option. there should be a button in that menu asking to do a check for update.

Frequent Visitor

@wtalexander wrote:

My main X1 DVR has a 1TB HDD in it and the X1 has an ESATA port on the back allowing you to get the WD DVR External Enclosure. This should alleviate further space issues in the future if needed. 

1. It Does! Go to the main guide then select the channel name on the left hand side and select the recording options. That's per channel options. When you select a particular series on the X1 you can go into recording options of that program to record only NEW shows.

I'm jealous, you're one of the few with a 1TB hard drive!  Google "Pace XG1" (our X1 DVR) and you'll find that the vast majority of us are stuck with 500gb drives.  I would guess this is beacuse Comcast stopped paying for 1gb drives since their apparent long-term plan is to shut off our local DVRs and move to network DVR storgage, however in the meantime, it sucks to be those of us stuck with 500gb drives.  Regarding your comments....

@1.  You are incorrect.  There is currently no way to ensure a series recording only records episodes during a specific time--or even on a specific channel.  The guide will allow you to select 'new episodes only', however it doesn't work--which is my point.  For example, every weekday, a new PTI airs on ESPN @ 5:30pm.  Despite picking 'only new episodes' my X1 records the episode (correctly) at 5:30pm, then records the same episode on ESPNews @ 6:30pm, then again on ESPNews overnight at 11:30pm, 3:30am, 6:30am & 8am.  I have similar problems with other shows and I imagine the guide info on new episodes isn't accurate, however the easiest stopgap fix would be to have advanced settings for series recordings so that I could setup PTI to only record 'new' episodes as well only on a specific channel (in this case ESPN only) and only when it airs @ 5:30pm.  This way, even if the episode records and isn't new, it only takes up one spot in my DVR.

4.  Regarding your comment about firmware update, I'm running the most recent firmware in DVR & satellite boxes (both mid-August versions).

Contributor

I have to amend my statement about the 1TB drive... the tech I talked to said they were rolling the X1 out with 1TB drives but I just looked through the diag screen for my X1 and it is reporting 460GB in kbps xD so thats a super looooong number. lol

1. I have set up a few shows to "record on this channel only." It is under the series recording options when selecting it on that particular channel.

2. What version is your STB reporting? 

New Poster

Hello,

Does anyone know what the A B C D buttons are for on the XR2 remote?

Diamond Problem Solver

A - if you're on the guide is a filter
B-search
C -sports
D-delete shortcut when you are in dvr recordings
A and D together moves guide ahead a day

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Diamond Problem Solver

Just kidding about the A and D together, everyone and their brother is looking for that option

Regular Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Just kidding about the A and D together, everyone and their brother is looking for that option

DARN!!! You had me all excited to get home and try this. Smiley Sad

Diamond Problem Solver

Sorry but I couldn't resist

Regular Contributor

@lancelopes wrote:

The lettering on my X1 HD box is not level. It looks wavy. Anyway I can fix this? When the Comcast tech was here installing the service he didn't know how to fix it. It only seems to be on 1 of my Tv's - Samsung UN46EH6030. 

lancelopes - I just sent you a PM to gather some account information. I havent seen this issue before and would like our team to investigate. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@steelman50 wrote:

yes please add the reminder function, I don't understand why it was not kept, its a great feature to have, also i have the fact i have to keep setting my favorites channels , I set it for a resaon because those are the channel lineup that i want to watch. but after a short period of time it defaults back to all channels which is very annoying. 

Reminders are on the backlog for future enhancements!

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - Rebooting / Audio & Visual resetting

@Jeffro2626 wrote:

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Every day, I have to set it back to 1080p 60hz. I also like to turn down the clock brightness to 1, and I have to reset that every single day.

Like you said, its annoying but not a game changer.

I just switched to Xfinity after being with DirecTV for 12 years straight, and I am generally happy with the features and service of the X1 unit.

We are aware of the setting bugs (resolution and clock brightness) and will be pushing out the fix ASAP. 

Regular Contributor

@fpirelli wrote:

@Newx1user wrote:

My red recording light is constantly on even when I am not recording anything.  Is this hurting the DVR?  Is there a way to turn it off?

Called, Wating for tier 2.

I'm now having the same issue. I would be interested if you found a solution.

The X1 team is invesigating this bug and will get a fix into production once the root cause is addressed. 

Regular Contributor

Unable to resume extended recordings

ComcastkaraT

is there anyone looking into the fact that if you have a recording that is extended by any length, once you get to the extended part of the recording, you are no longer able to resume. When you go back into the recording, it states "watch on DVR" and starts at the beginning instead of offering "resume". I have tried this with extending anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. Also, please tell me you are working on getting rid of the on-screen disply of play/ff/rw/pause? They are annoying, in the way of viewing what I want to see and not neccesary.

Contributor

Re: Unable to resume extended recordings

this also may be a small issue but I've noticed that when watching a currently recorded show on the DVR you can't skip to the end using the pgup button like you could before.  The reason appears to be that if the button is set to advance 5 minutes there has to be a 5 minute point for it to jump to or it does nothing and then you just have to ff the rest of the way which is kind of annoying...

New Poster

So been searching but a lot of randomness going on in some of these threads.

The issue of the X1 box turning off with the All Off button, is there a resolution or workaround???

Guys X1 is looking good for a new platform. This is something that CAN compete with U-Verse. Lots better than the 90's interface.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@lancelopes wrote:

lancelopes - I just sent you a PM to gather some account information. I havent seen this issue before and would like our team to investigate. 

I have the exact same issue with my non-DVR X1 box. Text has been wavy (resolution is set at 1080p 60Hz) since I got the box and it won't let me install the new update.  Gives me an error when I try (its not saying there isn't an update, it just says it can't be updated). Also, this box won't output 5.1 surround when watching live TV or On Demand.  It will, however, output 5.1 surround when watching a DVR recording.

Frequent Visitor

@afecht wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@lancelopes wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my non-DVR X1 box. Text has been wavy (resolution is set at 1080p 60Hz) since I got the box and it won't let me install the new update.  Gives me an error when I try (its not saying there isn't an update, it just says it can't be updated). Also, this box won't output 5.1 surround when watching live TV or On Demand.  It will, however, output 5.1 surround when watching a DVR recording.

I have the same problem with not being able to update.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment device name

I changed my device names from Bedroom Bedroom Bedroom  (yes three bedrooms) to the person in that bedroom (using custom).  That was mainly because everytime I have problem with a box and call they ask, is it the Living Room  (they want to ping or reset and I have to go write down the serial).  None of the changes show up on the website DVR control.  How long does that take?  Or will it ever show up?

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment device name

canges for online DVR control take at most 24 hours 

Frequent Visitor

I have a new X1 installation in Seattle.

Pace box with xappl-XRE-30P8 release version with PX001AN_1.2.2.p2s1_PRODsd STB version

I've been noticing, in particular, when I have multiple recordings happening at the same time, the shows do not show in the DVR recordings. However, once there is no longer any recording, the shows will magically appear in the DVR recordings list for playback.

VERY annoying.  Especially if I'm timeshifting a show while it's still recording the show because I came home about 20 minutes late.

Any suggestions on anything I can control?  Or is this a bug in Comcast's software.

I too am getting the hassles of the box continually resetting the levels of the power and clock lighting as well as resetting the prefered video to 720p instead of 1024i or 1024p.

Contributor

I too am getting the hassles of the box continually resetting the levels of the power and clock lighting as well as resetting the prefered video to 720p instead of 1024i or 1024p.

Force update your box that has been fixed. 

New Poster

I have two DLP tv's that have the same issue, one is an LG and it acts as if it is zoomed to one side of the picture. Ended up using the component connections. Must be some kind of handshake required. Had two installers spend two hours trying to get them to work with HDMI-DVI.
Not applicable

Got my X1 installed yesterday.  I can't imagine Comcast did any field GUI testing before putting this out.  The most frustrating things that never should have gotten out of the factory are that you can't skip forward for two different time periods with the XR2 like you could with the old remote.  You can only program the PG up or down with one time increment (which I changed to 30 sec).  Secondly I really hate that there is no easy way to access your favorites.  Thirdly, no time or channel display on the secondary boxes!  Really?  Also the brightness on the main box is up so high it is hard to read the time on that box.  There is so much real estate space on the box, why not make the time larger?  I also wish you could tell more easily whether a show on the guide was new or repeat.  You shouldn't have to press the info button.  There are no component capabilities using the remote.  My kids can't easily go between TV and XBOX.  Hey I've only had the new system for about 12 hours and already I can name a lot of pitfalls.

Regular Visitor

I am scheduled to have two x1 boxes installed tomorrow. I read a post that their wireless network quit working after the x1 boxes were installed. Is this still a problem?
Problem Solver

wrote:

Also the brightness on the main box is up so high it is hard to read the time on that box.    

Go to settings -about and force a update.

Light on box will be fix and can set lower.

There are more update coming

ask a admin here why your name does not show up

Frequent Visitor

Re: Question on X1 boxes

XG1-P is the DVR , don't know what the satelite box number is

Frequent Visitor

A takes you to your favorite channels once you have set them up, B is a prpgram search launch button, C pulls up a sports menu on the right side of the screen shows scores and what games a televised , D I don't know yet 

Not applicable

Regarding the favorites, I know how to set them and display them.  I just think it is silly that you have to make a selection to view favorites (say to record things) and then you have to go back and unsellect the filter to get the regular manu back.  Cumbersome.  

Frequent Visitor

Just got my X1 2 days ago. It worked fine  for a day. When I awoke this morning the time on the box display was 10:51 even though it was 7:10 and  the record light was on even though nothing was being recorded. When I tuned on the tv I could not get reception and my remote was not functioning. Unplugging the box cured most of the  problem except the record light remains on even though nothing is scheduled or is being recorded.

Any suggestions on how to turn off the light?

Problem Solver

@K7LER wrote:

I have a new X1 installation in Seattle.

Pace box with xappl-XRE-30P8 release version with PX001AN_1.2.2.p2s1_PRODsd STB version

I've been noticing, in particular, when I have multiple recordings happening at the same time, the shows do not show in the DVR recordings. However, once there is no longer any recording, the shows will magically appear in the DVR recordings list for playback.

VERY annoying.  Especially if I'm timeshifting a show while it's still recording the show because I came home about 20 minutes late.

Any suggestions on anything I can control?  Or is this a bug in Comcast's software.

If you are recording something that is currently on the air and it's not showing up in your saved/DVR section, you can find that show in the guide (since it's on the air) and tune to it and you should already have whatever has been recorded so far (since it's being recorded) buffered there, so you can use page down and/or rewind to go back to the beginning quickly and start watching that way.

As for the lights brigthness settings not getting saved and/or being reset, a recent update should have fixed that, so perhaps restart your box and hopefully that should be taken care of.

Problem Solver

wrote:

Got my X1 installed yesterday.  I can't imagine Comcast did any field GUI testing before putting this out.  The most frustrating things that never should have gotten out of the factory are that you can't skip forward for two different time periods with the XR2 like you could with the old remote.  You can only program the PG up or down with one time increment (which I changed to 30 sec).  Secondly I really hate that there is no easy way to access your favorites.  Thirdly, no time or channel display on the secondary boxes!  Really?  Also the brightness on the main box is up so high it is hard to read the time on that box.  There is so much real estate space on the box, why not make the time larger?  I also wish you could tell more easily whether a show on the guide was new or repeat.  You shouldn't have to press the info button.  There are no component capabilities using the remote.  My kids can't easily go between TV and XBOX.  Hey I've only had the new system for about 12 hours and already I can name a lot of pitfalls.

You can access your favorites by going to guide and then selecting the favorites filter there.  I guess not as easy as pressing a single button on the remote, but not that bad either.

You can change the clock and power ring light brightness (and with a recent update those settings should get saved properly and remain).  I think there might be a bug with similar options for the secondary (non-DVR) boxes, but hopefully Comcast will fix that sooner than later.

As for seeing some basic information about a show/movie while in the guide, without pressing the info button, as you select a show/movie in the guide (at least in the full screen guide) simply leave the selection on that show/movie for a few seconds and a pop-up "bubble" notification will appear with some of the important show/movie information, including whether or not its new or a repeat.

Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I didn't like the "hover" feature that gives info because it stays up too long and blocks the view of other stations.  I'm suggesting that when you see the menu, the title of the program should have NEW next to it if it is new.

Accessing favorites is a pest.  Should be one click and then go away.

Regular Contributor

wrote:

Thanks for the response. I didn't like the "hover" feature that gives info because it stays up too long and blocks the view of other stations.  I'm suggesting that when you see the menu, the title of the program should have NEW next to it if it is new.

Accessing favorites is a pest.  Should be one click and then go away.

When I click the "info" button on shows, it states new/repeat right next to the episode title.

Frequent Visitor

whats the deal with the old platinum remote? one of my old ones controls the x1 dvr completely and another just blinks when i press cable functions? 

New Poster

So i am that close to go to dish network.

Can someone @comcast look at ticket 

CR331975695

Long story short.

I live in place 1. 

Got X1 with DVR, X1 terminal hub in the master, phone, and HSI. Everything worked fine.

I move to place 2 and transfered everything,....well so you think everything was transfered.

Originally everything worked. but then i guess one account got canceled and the other one became active.

Results: Phone did not work. Anyroom DVR stopped working, on demand premium stop working. Mobile access to program DVR stopped working.

I called the first time. They resolved the ondemand, the partially resolved the phone. I say partially because i originally ported a phone number to comcast and this does not work.

Remote access to DVR (like myDvr from web does not work and says i have no DVR at home)

Anyroom DVR still does not work.

I called countless times and still nothing.

Apparently i was escalated to Tier 2 last week with tic # CR331975695 but i am still waiting for a phone call.

It is just that none of my e ffing hardware is registered with my account. CAN SOMEONE FIX THIS Cr@P!!!!

I am just about done.