Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Regular Visitor

Re: Satellite Box will lock up

@lex22 wrote:

I am having problems with the terminal boxes (i.e., not the one with the HDD in it) crashing constantly.  Comcast is coming tomorrow to look over the system and potentially replace the box(es).  

In our situation, often when we turn on the TV, there is no picture or sound and the only way to move forward is to unplug the box and go through the entire boot process.  Another situation happened twice last night.  When rewinding through a recording to pick up some dialog we did not quite understand, the picture started flickering and then died.  Another reboot required.

In our other remote/terminal box, this happened once:  When fast forwarding through commercials, when you hit play when you got through the commercials, the box went all the way back to the beginning of the show.  This always happened for this particular recording.

When you combine these issues with the generally slow responsiveness of the boxes, the loud drone from the HDD box, and the numerous bugs discussed on this forum, I can safely say the X1 system is not ready for prime time.  This is the last chance I'm giving the X1.  If the box swaps tomorrow don't solve the problems, I'm going back to the old system.  It was not pretty, and did not have some of the functionality the X1 system is supposed to have, but at least it worked.

The Comcast guy came by on my issue.  He said that he has seen tons of problems with X1.  Regardless, he swapped out the box.  New boxt has not solved this problem.  Box crashed again last night for no reason.  It took several reboots to get it working again.

I'm at my wits end.  Good thing it is just TV and not something important.

It is shocking to me that Comcast can put out such junk.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Just chiming in with my experience with X1.  So, after having a horrible customer service experience beginning with returning my old box, I had to go through days and hours of customer service calls, had the first technician come with the old Motorola box and then a few days later another one with the new box in which I had an added service charge; which I might add is baloney when Comcast is pretty much forcing upgrades.  I was told by the customer service rep at the store that they would credit me the service charge, but who wants to go and wait for 30-40 mins until they call your name/# to get a credit?  Going to the store is another problem in and of itself.  The only thing the store rep offered was for me to bring a copy of my bill to the store.  The direct store number isn't listed online so I can't just call and get it taken care of over the phone.

All that to say, I'm not in love with this box nor the experience I went through to get it.  While it looks nicer, there are so many issues and problems that had I known tall th is before, I would've declined and just kept the old box.

My main issues are with the resolution not saving the settings and reverting back to 480p as well as the brightness issue.  In addition to all the other major missing features on the remote, my satellite box which is in my Living Room is not blocked by anything but has a horrible lag when scrolling through the menu.  Luckily it's connected to the tv I watch less frequently, but it's still not a great experience when I do watch it.

I hope that Comcast can get these issues resolved.  My personal experience dealing with this has been awful.  This all started with an old Motorola box that was overheating and from the moment I stepped into their facility to exchange it, this has been a mess.  I've been with Comcast a while, but for the past couple years I have not been happy with my service.

Frequent Visitor

Zillauu, it depends on your area. I've been told that in the West Division you can only have one per house. But I'm in the Central Division and we now have four of the DVRs in our house. It took a number of hours on the phone with both Comcast and installers before we got the right equipment though. But as long as you're persistent and get in touch with the right people you should be able to get it if you're in the right area.

The only problem now is that I'm waiting to hear back from someone about turning off the Anyroom Billing code so that the DVRs are all independent and don't interlink. I'm hopeful that doesn't take as long as actually getting the right equipment.

Regular Contributor

@exquizite2 wrote:

Just chiming in with my experience with X1.  So, after having a horrible customer service experience beginning with returning my old box, I had to go through days and hours of customer service calls, had the first technician come with the old Motorola box and then a few days later another one with the new box in which I had an added service charge; which I might add is baloney when Comcast is pretty much forcing upgrades.  I was told by the customer service rep at the store that they would credit me the service charge, but who wants to go and wait for 30-40 mins until they call your name/# to get a credit?  Going to the store is another problem in and of itself.  The only thing the store rep offered was for me to bring a copy of my bill to the store.  The direct store number isn't listed online so I can't just call and get it taken care of over the phone.

All that to say, I'm not in love with this box nor the experience I went through to get it.  While it looks nicer, there are so many issues and problems that had I known tall th is before, I would've declined and just kept the old box.

My main issues are with the resolution not saving the settings and reverting back to 480p as well as the brightness issue.  In addition to all the other major missing features on the remote, my satellite box which is in my Living Room is not blocked by anything but has a horrible lag when scrolling through the menu.  Luckily it's connected to the tv I watch less frequently, but it's still not a great experience when I do watch it.

I hope that Comcast can get these issues resolved.  My personal experience dealing with this has been awful.  This all started with an old Motorola box that was overheating and from the moment I stepped into their facility to exchange it, this has been a mess.  I've been with Comcast a while, but for the past couple years I have not been happy with my service.

exquizite2 - I am sorry you are having these problems. Our product team is aware of the setting issues (light brightness and the 480 resolution bug) and actively working to get a fix to customers ASAP. 

If you have any other issue, please keep the forum posted.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@zillauu wrote:

Anyone know if you can get 2 of the main boxes in one house?  The satelite boxes suck and don't do what I want them to.  So I need to find out if I can have the satelite box swapped for a good one.

Zillauu - deployment of the main DVR boxes varies market to market. You can contact 1-800-XFINITY to confirm what is available in your area. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

There is plently of ventilation.  Whay I've noticed is that immediatly when the tv is turned on I can change channels. No GUI shows up but the channels change.  If I hit "Info", the screen shifts down with a black space at the top of the screen.  Also, It looks like it tries to letterbox the screen as well.  The second I hit any other button other than channel + or Channel - ir Info, it locks.  The remote then becomes unresponsive.

Official Employee

Having a moca filter behind each one should , in theory solve that issue

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for replying ComcastKara T.

Any word on the issue with the satellite box responding poorly?  When flipping through channels and the guide there is a noticeable difference.  Is this because it is networked to the main box?

Frequent Visitor

Re: 1080p/60 and front panel brightness settings

If that was the case for me, I wouldn't be concerned.  However, the brightness is truly being reset - I can see my living room lit up from down at the end of the hall way!  

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - firmware status

It is always freezing up, not giving my the channels I pay for, or giving me rainbow stripes with audio.  I have called Comcast and the only "fix" they give me is to unplug the box, wait 20 secs, and plug back in.  And then, it takes 2-10 minutes to come back online.  Stay away from X1 until they work out the bugs.

Regular Contributor

Hello, I have X1 AnyRoom, with one DVR and two terminal boxes. The DVR and one of the terminals got the recent software update from the first part of August, but one terminal box says no update is available, and is running the older build from June 22 I believe. How can I get this other terminal box to take the update?

Contributor

Call X1 support they can push the update You will still have to go into settings, About and have it check for update. I just did this for the last update time stamp July 31 on a terminal box.If you call and they tell you it can't be done .Ask them to ask there supervisor. Xfinity has just  opened up X1 in other markets so now you get . Due to the high call volume your wait time may exceed 15 minutes.Two weeks ago wait time was 1 minunte. There is a new update for both Hub and terminal boxes. Aug 14 for Hub Aug 13 for terminals. Lets see what happens.

Frequent Visitor

Just got my X1 yesterday and spent hours trying to figure out how to advance program selections day by day like the old remote only to read a post that I can't. Seriously? I am not happy with the programming of the remote in all respects but not beina able to advance day to day with a button is crazy and should be simple.

Regular Contributor

@zillauu wrote:

Anyone know if you can get 2 of the main boxes in one house?  The satelite boxes suck and don't do what I want them to.  So I need to find out if I can have the satelite box swapped for a good one.

Yes.You can get this although it isn't easy.  Sales seems to be reluctant to offer this and the techs have a hard time setting things up.  Giving the customers what they want is not in the Comcast DNA.  It took me 6 weeks, two house calls and 27 phone converstions to get this done.

Regular Contributor

@TTerry wrote:

Zillauu, it depends on your area. I've been told that in the West Division you can only have one per house. But I'm in the Central Division and we now have four of the DVRs in our house. It took a number of hours on the phone with both Comcast and installers before we got the right equipment though. But as long as you're persistent and get in touch with the right people you should be able to get it if you're in the right area.

The only problem now is that I'm waiting to hear back from someone about turning off the Anyroom Billing code so that the DVRs are all independent and don't interlink. I'm hopeful that doesn't take as long as actually getting the right equipment.

My advice is to not wait for the call that will never come.  I had 3 tickets for call backs and never received one.  If you really want it you have to be persistant.  Now that it's working I'm very pleased with the performance.  The terrible cuctomer service still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@zillauu wrote:

Zillauu - deployment of the main DVR boxes varies market to market. You can contact 1-800-XFINITY to confirm what is available in your area. 

Kara,

Based on my experiences the 1-800-XFINITY number will get iffy results.  The X1 direct line supplied with the equipment gets much more knowledgeable techs

New Poster

I recently had the X1 installed after switching back to Comcast and I'm very disappointed - the resolution setting keep changing to the lowest setting - I change it to 1080 and save it and then when I go back to check it again - it reset.  It does the same thing to my sound setting to - switches back to stereo after I correct it to surround.

The set top is connected right into the TV and the sound is optical cable into a sound bar.  Is there a software update required or a work around available?

Frequent Visitor

From what is on my X1 Hub and Terminals updates after today's manual pull.

X1 Hub DVR

Release Version:  xappl-XRE.30P7

XRE Server Version:  1.30.07 (Build 4714)

XRE Protocol Version:  2.8.0

Receiver:  Native Version 1.2.2

Time Stamp:  Wed Aug 14 22:07:42 UTC 2013

STB Version:  PX001AN_1.2.2p2s1_PRODsd

X1 Terminal Anyroom

Release Version:  xappl-XRE.30P7

XRE Server Version:  1.230.07 (Build 4714)

XRE Protocol Version:  2.8.0

Receiver:  Native Version 1.2.2

Time Stamp:  Tue Aug 13 01:34:45 UTC 2013

STB Version:  PR150BN_1.2.2p1s2_PRODsd

Frequent Visitor

BTW, I had my Hub and Terminals turned on and they did not auto update, I had to manually pull the updates.

Official Employee

Can you look at the diagnostic screen and check the levels of the box(upstream downstream and snr)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Izzi are you setting it to 1080 p or 1080 i

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Aug 14 update

What is new in the Aug 14 update?

Contributor

08-23-2013 11:22 AM

What is new in the Aug 14 update?

Who knows!

We've been asking for this courtesy service for weeks. After all, we are all proud paying beta testers!
Contributor

yeah it'd be great to have a general fix list for each release - they could even have their own thread for it...

New Poster

Hello, I have the new X1, and so far, I like the new format. However, I am finding it difficult to set a program reminder for an upcoming program. I am only finding  record as an option.

What do you suggest?

New Poster

Hello, I have the new X1, and so far, I like the new format. However, I am finding it difficult to set a program reminder for an upcoming program. I am only finding record as an option.

What do you suggest?

Frequent Visitor

The tech told us yesterday that we cannot set a remind, it is not built into this system.

Regular Contributor

@pliny_the_elder wrote:

yeah it'd be great to have a general fix list for each release - they could even have their own thread for it...

We need OUR OWN FORUM!!  Then every thread would be about the various X1 quirks.  And since there is no way in the world they would give release notes, we can crowd source a solution so its easy to find out what changed in the Aug 14 rev.  If you feel the same way, you MUST message Kara and ComcastTeds to give this feedback or it will NEVER happen.

Instead we get to deal with at least 1 question on every page of this thread about someone asking if they can skip ahead by days in the guide and someone saying the noise is too loud, etc.   I have the email subscription to updates for this thread, hoping to find out that there is a resolution to these issues but instead I get 10-20 emails every day with the same things over and over again.  The whole is to be able to stay in the know.  

I tell you, the only thing I KNOW at this point is

1) we are uncompensated beta testers for a service that is not ready,

2) the software development group and the QA group that supports them are amatuers

3) Comcast has no idea what makes message boards successful and useful!!

New Poster

Setting it to 1080 i
Regular Contributor

So.... The quick push out of a new rev just 12 days after the 8/2 release. Just forced the update myself.

And the most pressing complaints with the device lights and the resolution are not addressed.  My box now too reports a 480i setting but is really doing 1080p.  Didnt do that before.

Comcast, I have to hand it to you.  Just when I think you cant do any worse, you raise the "fail" meter.   Everyone who has an X1 should get that equipment rental for free.

Contributor

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the last update did not repair the power and clock lights going to full brightness or resolution not displaying or displaying 480i when in fact the display is 1080p.Did it cure anyone's issues.I really wish the would list what the firmware update was supposed to repair.But if we new what it was going to fix we would really expect it to be repaired.

Regular Contributor

I have no issues. It boggles my mind seeing people here with so many. But we know how the old saying goes. When someone has a problem they will come to these message boards in droves and complain. People that don't have issues you will never hear from. I honestly think it's a small percentage.
Regular Contributor

@carpenter51 wrote:

Hello, I have the new X1, and so far, I like the new format. However, I am finding it difficult to set a program reminder for an upcoming program. I am only finding  record as an option.

What do you suggest?

There is currently no reminder function.  Set record and watch at your leisure.

Frequent Visitor

I too am having the same resolution issues as well as the brightness problem. I initially posted about not having the ability to change programming day by day with pushing a button like the old remote, I didn't realize my 1080p and the brightness issues were being experienced by so many. To the person that posted that they were not experiencing the resolution and brightness issues, how are you not when it seems so many others are?

New Poster

I have a question, we have the X1 box that can record everything and a X1 box that doesn;t, how much does it cost if you want 2 of the boxes that record and how much per month.

Frequent Visitor

i just got x1 installed yesterday and so far so good. My biggest issue was the remote not having an aux button but just found out my platinum old remote controls the x1 too so that was a nice surprise.  The issues i do have is i got internet and phone installed but caller id is not working on the tv. someone also said it should show up on the computer?  

Frequent Visitor

my notifications for id is turned on btw.

New Poster

Does anyone know how to search the guide by genre with X1?  I would like to search all sports as I don't always know what is playing and have varying interests.  Our old DVR allowed searches by genre but now you have to know the name of the program. 

New Poster

I have an 8 year old Panasonic SD flat screen tv.. When an x1 box is hooked up to this tv, the resolution option simply does not exist in the x1 menu. The picture shows up on the tv in a 6" x 6" square with no simple way to resolve the issue since these resolution options vanish.

I keep a secondary tv in the room that is used to resolve the problem . I unplug the cable for my main tv and reset the box while hooked up to my secondary tv only. once its back online the resolution option becomes visable again. At this point I hook my main tv back up and it will work no matter what the resolution was set at. Once I hook in my main tv, the resolution option vanishes again. At some point I turn off the tv and will have to repeat this process 24 hours later when I power up my tv to find it has reveerted back to the tiny screen.

I assume this reverting is causes by the same reset that other encountering and you folks are working on. I hope these fixes resolve my issue when they happen.

I believe the real problem here is a handshake issue between my semi old wall mount tv and the x1 box. If the model number is anything you are interested in, let me know and I will remove the tv from the wall to get that info.

Frequent Visitor

@Joeey wrote:

I too am having the same resolution issues as well as the brightness problem. I initially posted about not having the ability to change programming day by day with pushing a button like the old remote, I didn't realize my 1080p and the brightness issues were being experienced by so many. To the person that posted that they were not experiencing the resolution and brightness issues, how are you not when it seems so many others are?

I hope that some of the Comcast software developers have a PX001ANM in their bedroom so that they can get a "wake-up light" at 4:00 a.m. everymorning. It may motivate someone to fix this.

Regarding the 1080p issue... Comcast doesn't broadcast in 1080p. No carrier does due to too much bandwidth required. Performance would stink. Try changing to 1080i. Comcast broadcasts will either be in 1080i or 720p.

Contributor

I have been using the new X1 DVR for a couple of months and am generally satisfied but there are a few quirks I have noticed such as the occasional freeze up. My main issues are with the remote control and the guide.

First, the remote control with the volume and channel buttons being at the very tip makes for a pretty awkward hold - any plans for an updated remote? The old remotes had these main buttons near the middle and were much more comfortable to use.

Second, on the Guide and when you press the "Info" button for programs, the description is in a different font size and is very small and difficult to read. It would be great if there were font options in this respect as the "large" selection does not seem to affect this text; I find myself squinting hard to see it even with glasses.  Likewise, the channel banner that apears at the bottom of the screen when you are changing channels is in a very small font and we have to use it to surf the channels since we can no longer see the channel on the front of the box, only the time. Additionally, there are no color scheme options for the guide like we used to have with the older DVR boxes - sometimes a contrast/color adjustment can make some text easier to see.

Thanks.

Contributor

@jfourman wrote:

@Joeey wrote:

I hope that some of the Comcast software developers have a PX001ANM in their bedroom so that they can get a "wake-up light" at 4:00 a.m. everymorning. It may motivate someone to fix this.

Regarding the 1080p issue... Comcast doesn't broadcast in 1080p. No carrier does due to too much bandwidth required. Performance would stink. Try changing to 1080i. Comcast broadcasts will either be in 1080i or 720p.

It's not about what resolution is being broadcast. Your receiver (no matter who your provider is) should be set to output the resolution which is handled best by your television. A conversion is going to happen either by your television or the receiver. Setting a DirecTV receiver to "Native" allows the televion to handle that itself. Forcing the receiver to a specific resolution puts teh receiver in that position. Using an X1 setting of 1080p with a quality1080p televion would be recommended. Another resolution should be chosen if the picture appears degraded in anyway. 

Contributor

Ever since I had the X1 system installed,I've had to power cycle the terminal box in my bedroom.Techs have been here  5 times in about 7 weeks,They have changed box twice.So I started my own troubleshooting. I relocated the box to my other bedroom and had no problems.I have replaced the cable, shortened the run by about 15 feet.Added a active drop amp.My downstream and upstream signals are perfect. I think about  what havn't I changed I tried replacing the HDMI cable but still had same issue every morning turn the set on no guide,no info,not able to change channel.Pull power cord reboot box every thing fine till next morning.Well Friday nite I hooked up a componet video cable.Issue seems to have gone away.Both Saturday and Sunday mornings I have not needed to reboot. So I belive I have a HDMI handshake issue.Funny thing is when I moved  box to other bedroom I used the same HDMI cable as in the master bedroom.The only difference is the TV and the TV in the other room is older.Anyway i'm  leaving it hooked up with componet for now.I will try one of the new 2.2 spec HDMI cable.So if you have reboot issues try a different video hook up 

Regular Visitor

I recieved the latest software version 2 nights ago.  Since that time we are having issues with random series recordings cancelling themselves.  The episode is not recorded and the recording icon is the circle with a slash.  Sometimes there are others recordings at the same time.  Sometimes it was the only recording scheduled.

Is this a new bug?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

So I am having the exact same issue although my test was unsuccessful with component as I had left the home plugged in. I'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Just wondering
, what type of TV are you dealing with. I'm dealing with a 32 in Walmart Emerson special.
Frequent Visitor

I too experienced this very same thing as rod-b. I am calling Comcast this morning.

Frequent Visitor

Since the display light settings are changing just about every early morning, I'm of the belief that Comcast is updating the sofware every time my display lights settings change.

Regular Contributor

Some odd behavior I noticed yesterday:  While going through the guide, I noticed there were a few shows that had the episode not recording icon (three circles with a line through the first).  The funny thing about this is that none of those shows were series recordings that I set up in the first place.  Obviously, it didn't really bother me that the shows I never set up to record weren't going to record, but I did think it was odd that my DVR behaved this way.  Has anybody else noticed this?

I will say that most of my DVR issues have resolved themselves over the past couple of months, and I never replaced my DVR, so my experience is improving.  I haven't lost any shows and I have not noticed any shows not recording over the past couple of weeks.

Also, for those who experience issues with the brightness of the lights and resolution issues:  My experience has been, while the menu does show full brightness of the power light and clock, the actual brightness has not been resetting daily.  Also, while the resolution in the menu shows 480i, the signal that my Yamaha AVR is showing is 1080p, so it appears the settings are, in fact, keeping, but the menu does not show that.  I can live with this little bug.

I have some requests for future enhancement, but I will keep silent on these for now since there is much work that needs to be done to iron out the existing features.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

My red recording light is constantly on even when I am not recording anything.  Is this hurting the DVR?  Is there a way to turn it off?

New Poster

Re: Does X1 have anything like the old category and sub-category search menus?

I am trying to do the same thing.  Did you get any help with this?