Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment and other stuff that's broken

@Huntersdad wrote:

Get this fellers!  I work for a software company, a large one.  I'm a software design PM.  In one of my team meetings we brought up this forum today at work.  The guy's and gal's went APE with the feedback.  There are some really good posts in this forum describing repeatable issues and bugs, I commend you - certainly I am taking note of all the quirks I see.  But my QA when reading this just laughed and snickered.

Here's the deal - these problems, at least most of em, shouldn't be happening if there was any functional Quality Assurance testing.  And although my company doesn't develop any sort of entertainment software, we do extensive customer experience surveys to know what is wrong and what is right about our software.  I will give Comcast a thumbs up that they are on the right track and the format/direction they are pursuing is the right one.  However, this product is a beta product; not something that is ready for consumer consumption.  Even the tech that was here earlier this week told my wife, he couldn't even give her a lesson in the product since it was going to change so drastically over the coming weeks & months.  Personally I don't know how serious he was about that statement, but I do agree this thing needs some serious overhauling to be consumer ready.

I'm thinking I may ask for my old Xfinity system back...  this thing is unreliable, quirky and unfriendly.  Have ya tried to create a "Favorites".  Holy Cow!  How can ya screw that up?

I worked for 25 years on the NASA Shuttle software.  Comcast/xfinity has absolutely no clue what "testing" is about.  But we were responsible for people's lives.

That said, they could have done a better job of testing and training before they rolled out this "product".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Problem and wish list Summary

@LSkrabut wrote:

I been having issues with the firmware updates since I received the X1 package in my house on Aug 3. After many calls to Comcast support, finally overnight on the 12th, Comcast was able to resolve the issue and my X1 hub was updated and now able to force an update if needed. The Hub then went to this update.

X1 Hub DVR

Snapshot - 13 Aug 2013

Release Version:  xappl-XRE.30P6

XRE Server Version:  1.30.06 (Build 4709)

XRE Protocol Version:  2.8.0

Receiver:  Native Version 1.2.0

Time Stamp:  Sat Jun 22 03:45:53 UTC 2013

STB Version:  PX001AN_1.2.1s5_PRODsd

Today another update occurred.

Snapshot - 17 Aug 2013

Release Version:  xappl-XRE.30P7

XRE Server Version:  1.30.07 (Build 4714)

XRE Protocol Version:  2.8.0

Receiver:  Native Version 1.2.0

Time Stamp:  Fri Aug 02 16:06:08 UTC 2013

STB Version:  PX001AN_1.2.2s5_PRODsd

Right away I had to reboot the hub, fail to display any channel, but the Guide, DVR, Setup and such worked. After rebooting, I notice the display setting fail to allow 1080p, but forced to 1080i, stating my TV did not support 1080p (has for years), but I had channels displaying, but for SpeedHD. Called again, the tech did something and Speed started to display and also the same current issue of 1080p working but not stay set in the settings as being 1080p but at 480.

Bottom line a new push of firmware apparently was pushed out last night in my area.

I now have 4714 also. Resolution is blank and I can't change it.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

Robert try restarting and see if it comes back

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Robert try restarting and see if it comes back

I did a Settings>Device Settings>Device Restart.  The resolution was blank.  I tried to change it from 4:3SD to 1080P60.  The change wouldn't stick.  But my Onkyo AVR is sending a 1920x1080P 60Hz signal.

My guess is that this just a new bug that doesn't affect me.

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

@boozilla47933 wrote:

Just wondering why my settings  won't stay locked? my box light settings keep reverting back to 10 (the brightest) My guide  I check the filter by favorites box and ok. but an hour later I have to do it again! doesn't keep my setting! Also my Video display keep reverting back to 4:3 480i SD even after it aks me if I want to save my 1080P setting and I click yes as soon as I exit and come back it has reverted!!!

Suggestions:

Color code the guide like the old boxes guide(color the whole box not just a thin colored line that you can barely see.

I have these exact same issues with the (I think) latest software [xappl-XRE.30P7, build 4714, STB version: 1.2.2s5_PRODsd]. Settings constantly show 4:3 480p, though I'm actually getting 16:9 1080p:60. The lights constantly reset to the brightest most obnoxious and annoying setting possible. The power button does not actually shut the box off, but pushing it on the box does, which instantly gets you back to brightest clock setting. Get lockups trying to delete recordings. Freezes during searches, etc.

Also no TV input button on the remote was a gross oversight. Apparently no focus testing was done whatsoever.

The settings issue seems like something your box should do out of the gate and if that doesn't work it's way downhill from there.

Also agree with the coloring of the boxes. That little line is absolutely worthless.

Contributor

Just got mine installed 8-17 and got the same issue with resolution blank.

Frequent Visitor

hello my name is sam and where getting two x1 boxes as a upgrade but where keeping our tivo premiere so none of the two places that we have the old boxes have a ethernet jack will they install via MOCA? please reply

sam

Regular Contributor

KARA-

Can technical support force an old revision of software back on these boxes?  My Jun 22 rev was tolerable but now this Aug 2 one is terrible!!!!! So many new bugs and behavior issues (the same ones being repeated by everyone now). 

Do these software spins get checked out before release?  Seriously. 

New Poster

Does anyone know if we can use the XR2 U2 remote RF function on other equipment, such as audio receivers? I do have it programmed to my receiver via IR right now, but the receiver does have an remote IN/OUT which is for IR, but I was thinking of getting the IR/RF transmitter cable so I can keep everything in the closet and not have to put the transmitter through and above the door.

Frequent Visitor

Satellite Box will lock up

One of the satellite boxes we have seems to lock up every morning or after a period of time without use. Unplugging and plugging it back in solves this problem but it is a huge inconveinince.

We have called for a visit but someone won't be able to make it until Saturday 8/24.  I'm concerned that a box swap out may or may not fix the issue but the tech will have no way to test as the problem takes hours to repeat itself.  Has anybody else experienced this problem?  Any possible solutions?

Contributor

Unhappy so far with X1 and overall service

I moved from FIOS about a month ago to the new X1 from COmcast.  Was excited to get it, but so far I have been disappointed and I have a 2 year contract.  WAY too many issues I am having, and everyone just calls it "growing pains" for the X1.  If they are growing pains, why do I pay a full price?  My issues, that seem to be common for many, but unacceptable for over $200 a month.

1.  ALL the boxes are extrememly laggy when I push the buttons for anything.  Channel #, guide, etc...  lags constantly and I find myself pushing buttons multiple times only to have it actually read all those pushes after a long lag.  Very frustrating.

2.  Boxes freeze and need to be reset.  My satellite boxes keep getting some weird pink text in the bottom right of the screen that stays on there until I reset the box.  No idea what this is, but happens often.

3.  Guide is awful to navigate.  No way to jump a day ahead and the lag is so bad scrolling through that i just gave it up.  Also, the lack of any colors besides little bars on the side of the show makes it hard to read.

4.  No front display on the satellite boxes.  Why??  No time or channel???  Why?????

5.  Pixellation on channels when I was told with their technology this WOULD NOT HAPPEN.  It is either on, or off, no pixellation.  Lied to me.

6.  I get "DVR SERVICE CURRENLY UNAVAILABLE" quite often now too.  It usually comes back in several minutes, but this should not happen.

7.  One last one.  The main DVR box sounds like an airplane engine.  I can literally hear it in the next room when the fan goes on, and always when something is being recorded.

Overall, service has been shaky at best.  I now am starting to realize why I left for FIOS in the first place 2+ years ago.  

Frequent Visitor

New to this forum, I think I created the original message on the wrong thread, so re-posting here...

Just converted to the X1 Platform, love the new guide and user interface.  I do however have a PC with a Hauppauge HD PVR tuner card, and have been unable to get the IR Blaster to change channels on the X1 box.  (It was working with my prior non-X1 motorola comcast STB ).  I'd like to stay with the X1 platform, but for me this is a deal-breaker, I want to have my PC PVR working.

I've used the BlastCfg program to learn the new XR2 remote, and appear to succesfully program the Hauppauge Remote buttons 0-9  and ENTER. When attempting to change channels, I see the IR blaster light blink, so I know signals are being sent to the STB, but the channel does not change.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Tuner Card:  Hauppauge HVR-2250

XFinity STB: RNG 150N (IR Receiver just to left of power button)

XFinity Remote: XR2 v2

As an alternative, can I switch back to my old Motorola box for my PVR only?  I don't mind not having the X1 features for the one connected to my PC.  The tech indicated if I went X1, I could not mix ANY old boxes.  I didn't quite get this as I still have some old DTA's for the Analog TV's I have...

Regular Visitor

Re: Satellite Box will lock up

I am having problems with the terminal boxes (i.e., not the one with the HDD in it) crashing constantly.  Comcast is coming tomorrow to look over the system and potentially replace the box(es).  

In our situation, often when we turn on the TV, there is no picture or sound and the only way to move forward is to unplug the box and go through the entire boot process.  Another situation happened twice last night.  When rewinding through a recording to pick up some dialog we did not quite understand, the picture started flickering and then died.  Another reboot required.

In our other remote/terminal box, this happened once:  When fast forwarding through commercials, when you hit play when you got through the commercials, the box went all the way back to the beginning of the show.  This always happened for this particular recording.

When you combine these issues with the generally slow responsiveness of the boxes, the loud drone from the HDD box, and the numerous bugs discussed on this forum, I can safely say the X1 system is not ready for prime time.  This is the last chance I'm giving the X1.  If the box swaps tomorrow don't solve the problems, I'm going back to the old system.  It was not pretty, and did not have some of the functionality the X1 system is supposed to have, but at least it worked.

New Poster

XFINITY XR2 remote

Can someone please provide me with step by step directions on how to program my XR2 remote for my X1 box to my Vizio (VSB200) soundbar?
New Poster

Re: XFINITY XR2 remote

Find the code here: http://customer.comcast.com/~/media/support_comcast_com/Remotes/Manuals/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_122911... 

Then it is the same process as setting your TV.

1. Turn on your TV and set-top box or HD DTA.
  2. Press and hold the Setup button on your XR2 Remote for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.
  3. Enter the first code you see above using the numeric buttons on the remote. The All Power button should flash green twice when the code is entered. If the green light emits one long blink, repeat steps 3 and 4, entering the same code.
  4. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the TV turns off, you have successfully programmed your XR2 Remote to control your TV. Turn the TV back on and press the VOL +/- and Mute buttons to confirm they control the volume of your TV.
  5. If the TV does not turn off, repeat the steps above using the next manufacturer's code listed above. You may need to try several codes to find one that works for your TV.
Regular Contributor

Andrew - DVR, yes. Terminals, no. Thanks for posting, but not applicable.

Regular Visitor

Re: Satellite Box will lock up

make sure the companion boxes have enough room to cool off, not on top of a tv or receivers like I did, the box was constantly freezing and when I touched it it was hot as heck, let it cool off, put it away from the receiver and put it away from everything with good ventalation and is now working better when its not as hot.....

Regular Contributor

1080p/60 and front panel brightness settings

I noticed something last night. In the settings page, my front panel brightness settings did read "10", but they were indeed dimmed down to 1. If I went in and changed the reading to 1, it got brigher then, and then dimmed back down to "1". Even though the readout said "10", the brightness of the front panel was all the way dimmed to "1". Same with 1080p/60. In the settings it read 4:3 480i SD. If I changed it to anything else (say 720P), my TV would flicker while the change in resolution took place and it would ask me if I wanted to keep that setting. I said yes, and my AVR verified that the signal coming from X1 was 720P. I would then chnage it back to 1080p/60, get the flicker, get asked if I want to keep that setting, say yes, and it would be set to 1080p/60. But, go back into settings, and it reads 4:3 480i SD. Although it reads that, the setting is still sending out 1080p/60, as I did not get any flicker indicating a resolution change, or the confirmation if I wanted to keep the setting. And, AVR confirms I am receiving 1080p/60 from the X1. My thought to everyone else having these settings "not stick" even though the settings page reads 4:3 480i SD, or brightness at "10", is your X1 really displaying the setting you want, just not indicating it on the settings page?

New Poster

Re: 1080p/60 and front panel brightness settings

The new Tivo boxes just came out today!  So far the reviews are very promising and appaently Tivo put a worthy processor in this thing and its lightning fast (my one big gripe with the premiere).  That said I just oredered one since Comcast really dropped the ball with the X1.  I am sure it will get better over time, but software can only fix poor hardware so much.  I would reccomend that you all check out the new Tivo Roamio boxes. 

Regular Contributor

@Titanic1701 wrote:

I noticed something last night. In the settings page, my front panel brightness settings did read "10", but they were indeed dimmed down to 1. If I went in and changed the reading to 1, it got brigher then, and then dimmed back down to "1". Even though the readout said "10", the brightness of the front panel was all the way dimmed to "1". Same with 1080p/60. In the settings it read 4:3 480i SD. If I changed it to anything else (say 720P), my TV would flicker while the change in resolution took place and it would ask me if I wanted to keep that setting. I said yes, and my AVR verified that the signal coming from X1 was 720P. I would then chnage it back to 1080p/60, get the flicker, get asked if I want to keep that setting, say yes, and it would be set to 1080p/60. But, go back into settings, and it reads 4:3 480i SD. Although it reads that, the setting is still sending out 1080p/60, as I did not get any flicker indicating a resolution change, or the confirmation if I wanted to keep the setting. And, AVR confirms I am receiving 1080p/60 from the X1. My thought to everyone else having these settings "not stick" even though the settings page reads 4:3 480i SD, or brightness at "10", is your X1 really displaying the setting you want, just not indicating it on the settings page?

My Two dvr's have acted this way from the start nearly two months ago.  Other than that everything is working well.  There are some changes needed to the guide that have been pointed out here jany times.

I do note that there seems to be a wide differnce in perfomance with new users.  I suspect service areas are involved.  Comcast shoud be tracking the locations of some of the major complaints to see where the service weaknesses are.

Regular Visitor

No 5.1 output from companion box

Anyone having an issue with a companion box where it only ouputs 5.1 surround sound when watching a recording?  I've tried both my DVR and the companion box with my receiver.  The DVR outputs 5.1 fine (even though the settings app displays "stereo"), but when I hook up my companion box (tried both optical and digital coax) I cannot get the thing to output 5.1 when watching live TV that I know for a fact should be in 5.1.  The funny thing is, the companion box will output 5.1 when watching the same show as a recording.

Should I be calling Comcast for a new companion box or is this a known software bug?

Regular Contributor

@Titanic1701 wrote:

This is my experience as well... Menu shows default settings (10) put power light and clock stay at the brightness I set (3); AVR shows signal from DVR as 1080p/60 even though menu displays 480i.

Silver Problem Solver

@Titanic1701 wrote:

I "think" it is "just not indicating it on the settings page".  But I also "think" they will fix it with a future update.

But sometimes I don't "think" very good. Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

@lukewind wrote:

The new Tivo boxes just came out today!  So far the reviews are very promising and appaently Tivo put a worthy processor in this thing and its lightning fast (my one big gripe with the premiere).  That said I just oredered one since Comcast really dropped the ball with the X1.  I am sure it will get better over time, but software can only fix poor hardware so much.  I would reccomend that you all check out the new Tivo Roamio boxes. 

I have four HD TV's.  How many TiVo's would I have to buy to replace my AnyRoom setup?

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@lukewind wrote:

I have four HD TV's.  How many TiVo's would I have to buy to replace my AnyRoom setup?

You could use one Premier or Roamio and three minis to have a set up similar to Comcast AnyRoom.  Also, you may not be able to access On Demand depending on where you live.  Currently, in Atlanta, On Demand does not work with Tivo, so I'm sticking with Comcast's equipment.

Frequent Visitor

@Titanic1701 wrote:

That is the case for me with the output, 1080p/60 is set even though 4:3 480i SD is displayed in the settings. However, it's not the case for me with the clock/power brightness. Both the settings page and the actual light brightness reset to 10 each night.

New Poster

There is a bug issue with the x1 box. Daily I change the lights to dim them and each night the box resets, setting the lights back to bright.

Suggestions
:
There is no save settings.
the option to show the channel not the clock.
Need to be able to jump forward by day on the guide.
Need to be able to manager the dvr and delete multiple programs
Regular Contributor

Does the new X1 remote have a feature where when viewing the guide, you can skip ahead days at a time?  You could do this before and was just curious as to how you do it with X1?

Diamond Problem Solver

No there's not. Everything presently involves scrolling one way or another on the box but if you have the Xfinity TV app you can go day by day

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: XFINITY XR2 remote

@SMoore_78 wrote:
Can someone please provide me with step by step directions on how to program my XR2 remote for my X1 box to my Vizio (VSB200) soundbar?

There's no Vizio on this list. Sorry

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/Setup_Codes_for_Audio_Device...

You can try this. I guess it's a code search. "Programming Version R2 of the XR2 Remote to control your Audio Device Version R2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV as well as an additional audio device such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote.

To program version R2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions above to program the remote to control your TV. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture's codes found here for step #3.

Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device. If you attempt to enter a code for a third device, your remote will no longer be programmed to control the first two programmed devices. If you can't find a code that works for your TV after following the steps above: Press and hold the Setup button for three seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green. Enter 9-9-1 on the remote. The All Power button should flash green twice. Press the CH ^ button multiple times until the TV turns off. After the TV turns off, press Setup. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the TV turns on, you have successfully programmed your remote to control your TV."

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/#Versions_of_XR2

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@paweljaro wrote:

Does anyone know if we can use the XR2 U2 remote RF function on other equipment, such as audio receivers? I do have it programmed to my receiver via IR right now, but the receiver does have an remote IN/OUT which is for IR, but I was thinking of getting the IR/RF transmitter cable so I can keep everything in the closet and not have to put the transmitter through and above the door.

You cannot control other devices say an audio receiver with the remotes RF feature.

Regular Contributor

Someone was asking about this:

How to Un-pair the RF remote feature

Here is how to un-pair the original remote control, by doing this, you will disable the RF function and will only use infrared signals

1. Press and hold the Setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.

2. Enter 9-8-7 on the remote control.

3. The All Power button will blink green twice. The remote control is now un-paired.

Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

@mmaslar wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@lukewind wrote:

You could use one Premier or Roamio and three minis to have a set up similar to Comcast AnyRoom.  Also, you may not be able to access On Demand depending on where you live.  Currently, in Atlanta, On Demand does not work with Tivo, so I'm sticking with Comcast's equipment.

Thanks for that info.  I checked my zip code and Tivo doesn't support VOD here, so I'm in the same boat.  I'll have to look at the pricing on the mini's.

Regular Contributor

@bendmitchell wrote:

Does the new X1 remote have a feature where when viewing the guide, you can skip ahead days at a time?  You could do this before and was just curious as to how you do it with X1?

Bendmitchell - we are working to get this out ASAP. Its a common feature request and the product management team is aware of this. thanks!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

KARA-

Can technical support force an old revision of software back on these boxes?  My Jun 22 rev was tolerable but now this Aug 2 one is terrible!!!!! So many new bugs and behavior issues (the same ones being repeated by everyone now). 

Do these software spins get checked out before release?  Seriously. 

I am checking on the option to revert back to a previous software release - more to come... 

Regular Contributor

@Bears2013 wrote:
There is a bug issue with the x1 box. Daily I change the lights to dim them and each night the box resets, setting the lights back to bright.

Suggestions
:
There is no save settings.
the option to show the channel not the clock.
Need to be able to jump forward by day on the guide.
Need to be able to manager the dvr and delete multiple programs

Thanks, Bear2013. I've shared your suggestions with our product management team. 

Re: delete multiple recordings - you can delete folders of recordings by selecting the folder in the Recordings Area of Saved and pressing the green D key on your remote. 

Regular Contributor

Box Light Settings - Known Issue

Update as of 8/21/13 - The X1 has identified the bug with the box light setting (and the constant resets). The team is working to get a fix out to production ASAP, however at this time I do not have an ETA. 

Thank you to everyone who sent your account information - it was helpful in the bug investigation. 

I will update this thread when more information is available.

- Kara

Regular Contributor

@mmaslar wrote:

@Titanic1701 wrote:

This is my experience as well... Menu shows default settings (10) put power light and clock stay at the brightness I set (3); AVR shows signal from DVR as 1080p/60 even though menu displays 480i.

I am getting reports of this 480i issue. I may send you both a PM to gather account info to escalate this to the team. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

New Poster

Re: Box Light Settings - Known Issue

Had an odd problem that seemed to surface last night where the viewing picture kept going blank. In order to get the view back, I had to change resolutions randomly until it reset. It appeared to be reverting to 480i. Changing from regular viewing to viewing on-demand or an application (e.g. traffic) seemed to trigger the issue.

Regular Contributor

@boozilla47933 wrote:

Just wondering why my settings  won't stay locked? my box light settings keep reverting back to 10 (the brightest) My guide  I check the filter by favorites box and ok. but an hour later I have to do it again! doesn't keep my setting! Also my Video display keep reverting back to 4:3 480i SD even after it aks me if I want to save my 1080P setting and I click yes as soon as I exit and come back it has reverted!!!

Suggestions:

Color code the guide like the old boxes guide(color the whole box not just a thin colored line that you can barely see.

boozilla47933 - We are aware of the box preferences resetting and investigating the issue. Apologies for the inconvenience - I know this is frustrating. When I have any update, I will post to this thread. 

Thank you for your suggestion on color codes - I've shared that with the X1 product team. 

Frequent Visitor

those color codes going back to the old method would be big improvement. Cannot see those tiny green lines to designate sports.  Now if you could just stop the humming from the box...

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@boozilla47933 wrote:

Suggestions:

boozilla47933 - We are aware of the box preferences resetting and investigating the issue. Apologies for the inconvenience - I know this is frustrating. When I have any update, I will post to this thread. 

Thank you for your suggestion on color codes - I've shared that with the X1 product team. 

New Poster

Hi Kara,

thank you so much for your responses here - it seems to be on eof the few places where we are getting X1 support.  I want to clarify.  In the question about the setting resetting - the filters, the output, resolution etc.  For the output resolution you had mentioned in a prior post that it was normal behavious because the box detects that the output setting for your device can only handle a certain output.  

Is that still the case, or is it really a bug where the settings on the box wont stick?

In my case it reverts back to 720p even though my reciever is for 1080 HD.  Its pretty frustrating and i am just wondering if that is intentional or a bug.  Thanks so much!!

New Poster

Does anyone know if you can now get the XR5 remote in your local comcast office as opposed to ordering it online?

Frequent Visitor

Update: Comcast technician was here today. The humming on the main X1 box cannot be fixed as it is the fan and runs continuously like other electronic devices...except none of my electronic devices hum except for an old desktop computer. The companion box is connected to a non-HD TV. Unlike the old boxes, DVR HD recordings can only be viewed full screen (no matter which resolution you have it set for) which distorts the picture on nonHD TV...or I can record them on a nonHD channel and lose the benefits of HD recordings when watching the HD TV.  I would consider doing that, but then I would still have the humming at the main box which I can't tolerate in the bedroom.  This technician could not change out the box to go backwards to the old HD boxes, so I have to call Comcast and have another technician come out to do that.  Comcast needs to tell customers that the companion boxes only work with HD TVs unless you are willing to accept distortion in the picture when viewing HD recordings. AND they REALLY need to tell people that unlike the silent old HD boxes, this one will hum.  Not very satisfied to say the least.

@weatherfield wrote:

Just had the X1 box and a companion box installed a week ago. Have now scheduled a technician follow-up.  I love the new features, but the noise is very irritating and it doesn't hold settings changes.The box is in my bedroom and the constant humming is a real nuisance, especially in quiet moments when viewing or when trying to sleep. The bright time and power lights light the room up and require resetting dimmer every night as they reset themselves overnight.

The companion box is a problem and I'm trying to figure out settings for it on that older TV which had great picture and sound before the new box (which required moving some equipment from outside the house to inside the basement). Now, the picture is shaky, the app button doesn't appear (and then last night sometimes it would appear! then disappear), and the HD picture is elongated filling the whole screen (which I'm trying to find appropriate settings to change). So far I can change it when watching TV but not when watching recordings. Also, the sound buzzes, and in some shows the background sound is the main sound and the voices are quieter in the background and hard to hear.

Lots of problems with the excitement of the new capabilities that seem to overwhelm the positive experience. I'm looking for a manual to try to fix companion box settings...can anyone direct me with that? Especially the right zoom and resolution. Thanks.

New Poster

Not sure where to ask this..

I had my X1 system installed last Friday, the main box seems to work well.  The satelite box cannot rewind, ff, pause, recorde a with the buttons on the remote.  If you want to record a show you have to find it in the quide and record.  Also it take 10 seconds for each button press for a response by the box.  This is a very annoying situation.

Regular Visitor

The old system remote had an HD Zoom button with multiple zoom modes.  The X1 remote has no zoom button and the zoom setting in the box has only the single option which streches the picture.  Are there plans to adress this?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

@JavaWiz wrote:

New to this forum, I think I created the original message on the wrong thread, so re-posting here...

Just converted to the X1 Platform, love the new guide and user interface.  I do however have a PC with a Hauppauge HD PVR tuner card, and have been unable to get the IR Blaster to change channels on the X1 box.  (It was working with my prior non-X1 motorola comcast STB ).  I'd like to stay with the X1 platform, but for me this is a deal-breaker, I want to have my PC PVR working.

I've used the BlastCfg program to learn the new XR2 remote, and appear to succesfully program the Hauppauge Remote buttons 0-9  and ENTER. When attempting to change channels, I see the IR blaster light blink, so I know signals are being sent to the STB, but the channel does not change.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Tuner Card:  Hauppauge HVR-2250

XFinity STB: RNG 150N (IR Receiver just to left of power button)

XFinity Remote: XR2 v2

As an alternative, can I switch back to my old Motorola box for my PVR only?  I don't mind not having the X1 features for the one connected to my PC.  The tech indicated if I went X1, I could not mix ANY old boxes.  I didn't quite get this as I still have some old DTA's for the Analog TV's I have...

JavaWiz - I got the same problem using an IR repeater.  Someone was able to plug an IR receiver directly into the box, but I havent found one that works yet.  Good luck.  This thing is very frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

@dougkinzinger wrote:

Hi Huntersdad,

I'm also in Central Illinois and got X1 in July. And I too had the exact same issue with IR repeating. I spent a few hours researching. For some reason my IR repeater equipment just wouldn't reliably work with the X1 box.

As a hack/workaround I instead plugged in an IR blaster (little IR receiver eye with a 3.5mm end, like a headphone jack) into the IR Blaster port on the back on the X1 box. I then double-sided-taped the blaster to where my main IR transmitter is, on the other side of the wall (clarifying, I ran a cable from the X1 blaster port to where my IR transmitter is so the remote can actually hit it).

A little kludgy but it works great. Still though, not sure why the X1 box didn't like to have it's IR relayed.

Doggon it..  Wouldnt you know I still havent found an IR blaster/receiver that works with these silly boxes.  This should not be so much work to enjoy television.  lol

That poor Kara woman.  She's got a rough gig.

Regular Contributor

@weatherfield wrote:

Update: Comcast technician was here today. The humming on the main X1 box cannot be fixed as it is the fan and runs continuously like other electronic devices...except none of my electronic devices hum except for an old desktop computer. The companion box is connected to a non-HD TV. Unlike the old boxes, DVR HD recordings can only be viewed full screen (no matter which resolution you have it set for) which distorts the picture on nonHD TV...or I can record them on a nonHD channel and lose the benefits of HD recordings when watching the HD TV.  I would consider doing that, but then I would still have the humming at the main box which I can't tolerate in the bedroom.  This technician could not change out the box to go backwards to the old HD boxes, so I have to call Comcast and have another technician come out to do that.  Comcast needs to tell customers that the companion boxes only work with HD TVs unless you are willing to accept distortion in the picture when viewing HD recordings. AND they REALLY need to tell people that unlike the silent old HD boxes, this one will hum.  Not very satisfied to say the least.

@weatherfield wrote:

Just had the X1 box and a companion box installed a week ago. Have now scheduled a technician follow-up.  I love the new features, but the noise is very irritating and it doesn't hold settings changes.The box is in my bedroom and the constant humming is a real nuisance, especially in quiet moments when viewing or when trying to sleep. The bright time and power lights light the room up and require resetting dimmer every night as they reset themselves overnight.

The companion box is a problem and I'm trying to figure out settings for it on that older TV which had great picture and sound before the new box (which required moving some equipment from outside the house to inside the basement). Now, the picture is shaky, the app button doesn't appear (and then last night sometimes it would appear! then disappear), and the HD picture is elongated filling the whole screen (which I'm trying to find appropriate settings to change). So far I can change it when watching TV but not when watching recordings. Also, the sound buzzes, and in some shows the background sound is the main sound and the voices are quieter in the background and hard to hear.

Lots of problems with the excitement of the new capabilities that seem to overwhelm the positive experience. I'm looking for a manual to try to fix companion box settings...can anyone direct me with that? Especially the right zoom and resolution. Thanks.

I have 2 X1 dvr's and both run silently.  Aside from the guide problems previously mentioned here everything works perfectly.  No lag, no worries.  There has to be problems with equipment or local networks.  If Comcast doesn't address this they will lose big time.

New Poster

Anyone know if you can get 2 of the main boxes in one house?  The satelite boxes suck and don't do what I want them to.  So I need to find out if I can have the satelite box swapped for a good one.