Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Has anyone had any luck using a universal remote with the X-1.  The fast forward and play buttons are in awkward postions on the XR2 and I am trying to "LEARN" my MX-500 and it doesn't appear to be accepting the signal from the original remote.  Anyone else have an issue using a universal remote control?

Regular Contributor

I use the harmony one remote . Works great.
Contributor

@ghoofie wrote:
I use the harmony one remote . Works great.

Me too.  The Harmony One works great.

Contributor

I have set up series to record such as: Suits, Longmeyer, Glades.  Last night Suits recorded only 13 minutes.

Now I have found Suits to be a favorite which I did not set up as a favorite. 

Also I have found several shows have appeared in series priority manager that I have not set up.

Is it possible that someone could change my dvr settings?

Contributor

X1 Problem and wish list Summary

Please do not see this post as a list of horrible things wrong with the X1 platform. Overall it is a HUGE improvement over past systems. As with anything new and developing there are a number of issues that come and go. Following is a summary of many currently listed issues. Probably not an all inclusive list but at least the highlights from a lot of posts here:

1. Would like option to save green power and clock light settings. (Resets to brightest every night or box reset).

2. Channel guide does not wrap around from highest station back to lowest, (You have to page back up to the beginning).

3. Would like to jump to day, (being viewed), from future recording list. (So that if you are looking at next Wednesday’s scheduled recordings, you should be able to jump to that day and time if you are in the future recordings list by hitting the guide button).

4. Would like to jump ahead 12/24 hours when viewing the guide.

5. Would like to set (a) favorites list to be the default, (Currently you have to remember to re-set the filter for favorites while viewing the guide).  Also ability to create multiple favorites lists.

6. Would like favorites option of “Channels I subscribe to”. Comcast would probably like the option to stay as is for 5 & 6 to force viewers to see what they are missing?

7. Would like better (any?) documentation on system, including shortcut “secrets”  for programming buttons on remote, how to set/change RF/IR remote operation, how to set favorites list(s), good list of audio and TV settings for remote, etc., meaning ONE compilation of all documentation, not links to many files that are not kept current.

A lot of the above is available but it is located all over the place.
    It’s kind of sad that users can get much better technical support from the user forums than from Comcast Technical Support?

8. Would like to be able to set recordings to “This channel only”.  Currently this is only an option while setting a future recording in the guide, not from search results.

9. Would like to have “Reminders” available again.

10. Would like a fix or reasonable expectation/explanation of “Lag” problem, where you push a remote button and nothing happens for up to 15-20 seconds.

11. Would like remote option to select TV input.

12. Preference for stereo/surround resets to stereo as soon as you leave preferences.

13. Would like to be able to somehow set/check 1080p.

14. Would like option to easily change guide colors and fonts from same location.

15. Would like to see a daily (updated) list of fixes and firmware/software updates and known (in progress) issues and have that list reside at the top of the forum. This would help users to see when their particularly wanted fix is implemented, and would reduce the many instances of repeated requests/complaints.
    This is really a biggie and I’m sure most users would love to see this at the top of the forum list for X1.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 Problem and wish list Summary

JtPat
1-15 you're preaching to the choir buddy

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Everything above

But add arrow buttons on remote when viewing

up arrow to pause

left arrow to rewind

right arrow to fast forward

Contributor

If you hit the bottom (down) arrow on the wheel while viewing, you get those things you are looking for?

Contributor

I know about the down arrow.  When you hand is on the remote, The arrows are a fast way control shows that you are viewing like the Motorola DVR.

Regular Contributor

@murrots wrote:
I just got the x1 today and I am not happy at all. I have the premier triple play and don't even have all the basic cable channels. I don't have fx, nfl network, etc. and none of the premium channels. Customer support said it could take up to 24 hours for these channels to appear. I don't understand how I went from having every channel to "upgrading my stb" and now only have 15 channels to watch. The box should come ready to use when it is plugged in. I shouldn't have to wait a full day to watch channels that I pay extra for, actually I'm fairly sure I'm not even getting all of the basic cable channels right now. The tech that came to my house didn't check to see if any of the other channels even worked, it seemed like he avoided them, now that I think about it. I'll post back if and when the full channel lineup is available.

Did the installer add a new powered splitter or replace any splitters that you might have had? I had the same issue, lost channels after swapping boxes. Turns out the installer did not replace my splitter. Another tech came out, replaced the splitter with a powered splitter and all the channels instantly returned.

Diamond Problem Solver

Powered splitter =amp, the x1 boxes are like modems and need to meet certain specs or they won't work like they should

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Why not voice control or maybe eye movement detector like Stephen Hawking has for his computer?

Diamond Problem Solver

Voice control with the x1 app

New Poster

Re: x1 box stopped sending video over HDMI

Update on my experience:

I unplugged/replugged the box for 15/30/60/300 seconds multiple times to no avail. I called the support dept, and a very nice, yet new and unknowledgable rep, assisted me for 55 minutes over the phone. This call consisted of him searching the knowledge base for 45 mins, then finally sent a refresh/reset to the box, to no avail. I then double checked he had the problem documented correctly in the ticket, and he stated I will be getting a call back from tech support. 

This last part is meant to be constructive feedback, not a knock to Comcast or their support. I am guessing that call volume has increased causing a lot of new reps being thrown onto the phones, but to have a support person not understand the difference between an HDMI cable and a component cable, and how a system might also be hooked up with an optical TOSlink cable to a receiver, seems a little sketchy. I'd recommend part of the onboarding process be that they actually hook up the cable boxes they are supporting in a few different, but common, scenarios, so they become familiar with the equipment they are being asked to support. Just some feedback from a customer to pass along to the managers. 

Thanks! 

New Poster

I searched google for a cable filter and have a general idea what it is and does. Do I get one from comcast or buy one on my own? And what type would I need? Thanks so much for your help.

Contributor

I had X1 installed last week (one DVR box and one regular HD box). I've been very happy with it except for these issues.

The boxes seem to reset about once a day losing my settings for the clock and power light levels changing back to 10 and screen resolution levels going back to 720p on my HD box which I want set to 1080p60.

Also, since last night, the red record light has been stuck on, on both boxes, eventhough nothing is recording.

Hopefully these bugs will be addressed in a future update.

Contributor

my signal is fine, I don't need an amp installed. I just replaced my 2 way splitter with an extreme broadband 1gz, which i know is a good brand. I also replaced all of my coax inside of my house with belden 1694a coax, which i know is a great brand(probably overkill). It's not a signal issue, it is a useless tech issue.

Valued Contributor

I had the X1 box installed a little over 24 hours ago, and I've already had to reset the brightness down to my preferred level four times. I've also had to fix my resolution a few times; it has a tendency to change from 1080p to 720p with no warning, rhyme or reason.

With the removal of the "skip day" function from previous interfaces, jumping around the guide to set recordings is slightly odious, though the new search is very welcome. I was able to set series recordings for fall shows that haven't yet shown up in the guide itself. Very cool.

It's a good system overall. Much, much better than previous operating systems. Hopefully the bugs can be worked out in future software updates.
Diamond Problem Solver

I searched google for a cable filter and have a general idea what it is and does. Do I get one from comcast or buy one on my own? And what type would I need? Thanks so much for your help.

It's a mocha filter and only techs carry them

Diamond Problem Solver

I had the X1 box installed a little over 24 hours ago, and I've already had to reset the brightness down to my preferred level four times. I've also had to fix my resolution a few times; it has a tendency to change from 1080p to 720p with no warning, rhyme or reason.

There's no need to set it to 1080p nothing broadcasts that way set it to 1080i and it won't go to 720p

New Poster

The X1 is a joke. It is very slow, unresponsive, and freezes very often. It will freeze often when trying to access On Demand TV shows. This of course requires a restart of the system because a refresh signal will not work. The restart takes 5 to 10 minutes! Are you kidding me! The remote feels like a workout. It's like I have to use 5 lbs of pressure on the buttons for the X1 to register my pushes. The remote is too simplistic, not enough features, requires too many presses to get where you want. I am very upset with comcast and their false advertising. The X1 one is not the best, it's not amazing, it is aggravating, infuriating, and requires an ample amount free time to wait on it. It will teach you patience, which is a virtue I should not need with a cable box. 

Regular Contributor

@murrots wrote:

my signal is fine, I don't need an amp installed. I just replaced my 2 way splitter with an extreme broadband 1gz, which i know is a good brand. I also replaced all of my coax inside of my house with belden 1694a coax, which i know is a great brand(probably overkill). It's not a signal issue, it is a useless tech issue.

My signal during installation was tested and perfect for the X1. Yet, certain channels did not come in. Once the powered splitter was installed a week later, all of those chanells came back. I am just saying.

Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:

There's no need to set it to 1080p nothing broadcasts that way set it to 1080i and it won't go to 720p
It doesn't matter that nothing is broadcast in 1080p. If you have a 1080p television, then that is it's native resolution. The 1080p/1080i/720p setting on your receiver is only the resolution being delivered to your TV. Simply choose what resolution your display handles best. Issues arrise when someone selects 720p or 1080i and their TV doesn't scale one as well as the other to its native resolution. Selecting 1080p on the X1 just simplifies the process and, in my case, doesn't result in a resolution reset each day. The only setting that resets for me is the one for the brightness of the X1's front display. 

Contributor

@Lj8Five wrote:

The X1 is a joke. It is very slow, unresponsive, and freezes very often. It will freeze often when trying to access On Demand TV shows. This of course requires a restart of the system because a refresh signal will not work. The restart takes 5 to 10 minutes! Are you kidding me! The remote feels like a workout. It's like I have to use 5 lbs of pressure on the buttons for the X1 to register my pushes. The remote is too simplistic, not enough features, requires too many presses to get where you want. I am very upset with comcast and their false advertising. The X1 one is not the best, it's not amazing, it is aggravating, infuriating, and requires an ample amount free time to wait on it. It will teach you patience, which is a virtue I should not need with a cable box. 

This has not be my experience with it at all. It's been terrific for me thus far. A few quirks, but that is to be expected with a new platform. 

Diamond Problem Solver

You're right but whoever asked the question didnt say anything about a receiver or having a 1080p tv

Regular Contributor

Hi Huntersdad,

I'm also in Central Illinois and got X1 in July. And I too had the exact same issue with IR repeating. I spent a few hours researching. For some reason my IR repeater equipment just wouldn't reliably work with the X1 box.

As a hack/workaround I instead plugged in an IR blaster (little IR receiver eye with a 3.5mm end, like a headphone jack) into the IR Blaster port on the back on the X1 box. I then double-sided-taped the blaster to where my main IR transmitter is, on the other side of the wall (clarifying, I ran a cable from the X1 blaster port to where my IR transmitter is so the remote can actually hit it).

A little kludgy but it works great. Still though, not sure why the X1 box didn't like to have it's IR relayed.

Regular Contributor

MoCA filter.  I would not recommend self install.  Comcast shoud supply and install to adress your problem

Frequent Visitor

Just had the X1 box and a companion box installed a week ago. Have now scheduled a technician follow-up.  I love the new features, but the noise is very irritating and it doesn't hold settings changes.The box is in my bedroom and the constant humming is a real nuisance, especially in quiet moments when viewing or when trying to sleep. The bright time and power lights light the room up and require resetting dimmer every night as they reset themselves overnight.

The companion box is a problem and I'm trying to figure out settings for it on that older TV which had great picture and sound before the new box (which required moving some equipment from outside the house to inside the basement). Now, the picture is shaky, the app button doesn't appear (and then last night sometimes it would appear! then disappear), and the HD picture is elongated filling the whole screen (which I'm trying to find appropriate settings to change). So far I can change it when watching TV but not when watching recordings. Also, the sound buzzes, and in some shows the background sound is the main sound and the voices are quieter in the background and hard to hear.

Lots of problems with the excitement of the new capabilities that seem to overwhelm the positive experience. I'm looking for a manual to try to fix companion box settings...can anyone direct me with that? Especially the right zoom and resolution. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

JtPat

Please add that constant humming noise to your list!

New Poster

Okay, so you can leave any of the boxes you want for the time being. HOWEVER, in order for x1 to be installed properly, and work correctly, you want ONLY the x1 boxes and terminals. For some reason, x1 does not work well with any of the other platforms or boxes that Comcast has available at this time. As well, you switch the boxes, you loose ALL of your recordings, and anything that you had scheduled. The reason for this is due to the fact that as of right now, EVERYTHING is being saved to the hard on the equipment on the account. Remove the equipment, remove the SAVED and the SCHEDULED recordings. 

Regular Contributor

@weatherfield wrote:

JtPat

Please add that constant humming noise to your list!

The fan noise seems to be a common complaint that I've seen here, but I've never had an issue with fan noise in the 3 months I've had X1.  I guess I'm one of the few "lucky" ones.  I've had numerous other annoyances though, so I don't consider myself too lucky.

New Poster

Frank,

I do not know if you have called in about this issue yet, but you should try restarting the box. That MAY help you be able to change those settings, if that doesn't work, try hard rebooting the box. This means unplugging the box for about a minute, then plug it back in. If it STILL doesn't allow you to change the settings, call the 1-800-COMCAST line and have someone come out, it may be a bad box.

New Poster

I have not yet seen anything that shows that Comcast is going to add that as part of the settings on the x1 box. HOWEVER, this is just the first generation of the x1, with x2 supposedly being released by the end of the year. Keep in mind that with new versions, we should have all of these bugs figured out, and fixed, and cool new things on there as well. As technology advances, so does Comcast.

New Poster

This a problem with the coding on the account, and the stb nto reading or collecting correctly. What this means, is that when your x1 was installed, Comcast needed to rebuild your account. When they do this, they remove everything and re-add, so unfortunitely, it takes a little while for the system to register the correct codes and get the correct channel lineup back on to your stbs.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Message on X1 DVR

@mroperjr wrote:

I am getting an DL04 message on my X1 Box.  what does this mean

My guess is that it got stuck trying to download the latest Guide information.  I would imagine they have to keep a "rolling" two-week guide information update every night.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

To all that are having problems with the lights on the box reverting back to the default settings, are you guys turning the box on and off?? For me, it only goes back to the default settings when I turn the box off and back on. But after a little while, it will go to the settings that I have put on the box again. I do not know why this is, even with an update. But this might explain why it is doing that.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR manager , Apps on X1 Platform hasn't worked since it's been installed in June

@LSkrabut wrote:

What are the numbers or version of this new firmware that apparently was release to some areas recently?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

This actually sounds like a bad box to me, try calling to see if they can reset the box for you, if this doesn't help, have someone come out.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mroperjr wrote:

My guess is that it got stuck trying to download the latest Guide information.  I would imagine they have to keep a "rolling" two-week guide information update every night.

DL04 means that the box was downloading a firmware update and got stuck at 4%; the guide updates in real time and doesn't require a download.

You may have to unplug for a minute then plug it back in and manually update the firmware, or just wait until it finishes or restarts on its own.

Frequent Visitor

I too would like to know how to access the update which fixed the clock brightness issue. What do you mean when you "manually pushed for it"? And is that different than the auto updates?

Regular Contributor

@Hawyn87 wrote:

Okay, so you can leave any of the boxes you want for the time being. HOWEVER, in order for x1 to be installed properly, and work correctly, you want ONLY the x1 boxes and terminals. For some reason, x1 does not work well with any of the other platforms or boxes that Comcast has available at this time. As well, you switch the boxes, you loose ALL of your recordings, and anything that you had scheduled. The reason for this is due to the fact that as of right now, EVERYTHING is being saved to the hard on the equipment on the account. Remove the equipment, remove the SAVED and the SCHEDULED recordings. 

Just an FYI, I have both an X1 and RNG200 connected to the same AVR going to the same TV. Works together fine, aside from some of the issues a lot of people are having. In fact, there are some issues that I am not having. My green light and clock stay at level 1, 1080p stays selected, no sound issues, fan is not loud.

Highlighted
New Poster

That's right, but sometimes to make the box work right, the amp is the only way.

Silver Problem Solver

@anderson18514 wrote:

I had Comcast install theirs.  They know how to test signal strength.

Frequent Visitor

I for one am not turning the box on and off...in fact, when installed a week ago the tech guy told me that the box could not be turned off. It's always on. so the lights issue I have is not related to on/off.

New Poster

I have this problem as well with the record light, just reset the box, it will go off, but the lights will default back the original settings for a little while. Just keep this in mind.

Regular Contributor

When responding to someone, please use the quote button.  It is impossible to tell what your response is in reply to if you don't.

Thanks.

New Poster

On top of what was already said on this, you only need a mocha filter if you have the anyroom dvr.

New Poster

You push a or b to skip days.

Silver Problem Solver

@Hawyn87 wrote:

You push a or b to skip days.

Not here.  The A button is for filtering.  The B button does nothing.  Do you have the X1 guide?

New Poster

mroperjr wrote:

wrote:

Okay so that message means that the box is dowlaoding new software, and firmware. You need to leave the box on for it to complete properly.

As for the guide, the guide is now in the cloud. There is NO downloading needed for it. You just plug in the box, and it's there. The box does all of the work for you now, instead of spending 45 minutes to 4 hours trying to dowload the programming.