Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

how do i adjust the brightness of the clock and power lights?

Regular Contributor

You can now adjust the power light on the HD boxes as well as the DVR.

Go to Menu, Settings (the gear icon), Device settings, and Device lights.
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity button, scroll over to the settings icon (furthest to the right in the upper menu) and it is an option in the list on left of the screen where you can set the brightness of the clock and the power button.  If you set the clock brightness to 0, the clock will not be displayed.  The variation in the brightness is not all that much however.  In a dark room, the lowest setting still makes a great night light.

Regular Contributor

tdinoulis:
"It definitely supports 720P and I have tried changing the resolution to 480 and back again with the same results. According to the projector the signal it is getting is not 720p."

Try connecting it with a composite cable to troubleshoot. You may be able to change the resolution that way. Then switch back to DVI.
Tags (1)
Contributor

Re: X1 – Temporary Solution to Resetting to 720p issue

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@tdinoulis wrote:

Hey Everyone.  I'm having issues getting my X1 box to connect to my projector.  I've tried the main X1 box and the multiroom dvr box.  The connection is going though an hdmi/dvi adapter and then run through a DVI cable direct to the projector.  The Xfinity logo apears and then goes away.  I have no video but can hear the audio through the optical to my reciever.  Is there any hdmi handshake issue known with these new boxes?  The older motorolas had no issues.

You may have to force it do a different resolution depending on what the projector can support.  By default the box is in 720p – but maybe the projector doesn't support 720p. Try forcing it to 480p using the manual shortcuts below: 

To change to 480: Press: exit-exit-exit-4-8-0 

To change back to 720p, Press: exit-exit-exit-7-2-0 

This is very interesting:  Just for the heck of it, I just tried manually switching one of my X1 DVRs to 720p by pressing exit-exit-exit-7-2-0 and sure enough, the box reset to 720p--and it didn't ask if I wanted to keep these settings like it does when you use the menu to make the change.
This led me to thinking, what if I pressed exit-exit-exit-1-0-8-0?  Well it worked!
The problem is, the box reset to 1080i, not 1080p/30 or 1080p/60.  Plus, this action does leave you in the state just as if you had pressed the right arrow and entered a channel in the guide where the picture is on the left of the screen the the slide out guide is on the right with the numbers '720' or '1080' entered at the top where the channel goes--not a biggie but do wish it would dump you back into the normal TV watching mode.
ComcastKaraT, is there a key sequence that would allow for entering 1080p/60, not just 1080i?  If not, surely there are discrete remote codes for each of the settings in the X1.  Could these be provided so at least those with programmable remotes, like the Harmony, could add those in and force 1080p/60 everytime we turn on the TV?  This might be a good temporary fix to the resetting to 720p issue.
Tags (2)
New Poster

Re: XX – Settings, Remote & Equipment

I just received 4 new X-1 cable boxes. I just hit a brick wall with the remote. Does anyone know if these remotes and/or the boxes compatible with receivers. I have two entertainment systems in the house both powered with pioneer elite receivers and I now have to use multi remotes because the X-1 remote is not universal. Is anyone else having the same problem? Can it really be Xfinity missed this step in thier R&D or is customer services & thier installers clueless.

Help & thoughts???

Diamond Problem Solver

Scroll back a couple pages someone had a link to the codes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@nsollena wrote:

I just received 4 new X-1 cable boxes. I just hit a brick wall with the remote. Does anyone know if these remotes and/or the boxes compatible with receivers. I have two entertainment systems in the house both powered with pioneer elite receivers and I now have to use multi remotes because the X-1 remote is not universal. Is anyone else having the same problem? Can it really be Xfinity missed this step in thier R&D or is customer services & thier installers clueless.

Help & thoughts???

The boxes are compatible with receivers.   I use a logitech harmony remote which you program to work with most any devices. The xr2 remote is not fully compatible, but with the harmonry remote, I'm able to put the comcast away to collect dust.

Contributor

X1 Screen goes black for a few seconds

I've had the X1 for a few days now and it's great, but every once in awhile while watching live TV the pitcure goes black but there's still sound.  I think it did it on a recorded program too, but I have to confirm that.  Anyone else having this issue?  Is it a bad box?

New Poster

X1 reminder settings

We've had the X1 box now for 2 weeks and its great but why can we not set reminders like you could with old box. I just want to be able to set a reminder with the little white bell that pops up on screen a minute before your program comes on. This was one of the best features on the old box and remote. With all you did in upgrades why couldn't you just add that feature in as well....?
Frequent Visitor

Reminders?

Is there a way to set a X1 reminder? On my old box you could set a reminder but I cant find one on my X1.

New Poster

Re: Reminders?

unfortunately they dont have that setting on the x1 boxes thats why they put the feature where you can see the last 9 channels you were on

New Poster

Re: Reminders?

Well that does no one any good..... If I remember when every show was coming on I wouldn't need reminders... All that does is force me to use my photographic memory to know whAt time every college football game and what channel they are on Saturdays.... Bring back the reminders. He hard is that tech geeks... Call this a challenge....
Contributor

hi

I am looking for helpful hints re controlling the rewind and fast foward function. I noticed that it has a mind of its own.  When I choose for it to stop, it goes to where it wants to stop.  I understand that sometimes this may benefit me. It stops right as the commercials end.  But often I am trying to cue.  And the X1 and I are not seeing eye to eye when it should stop. Any suggestions re how to get it to stop where I want?  

Also is the rewind slower than the previous DVRs?  It seems to take longer to rewind on the highest speed (4)  

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I recently had the x1 system installed.  A few problems – one of the boxes has never worked. I have called Comcast several times to no avail.  The other problem is that they said I would receive RF boxes and I clearly did not.  It does not appear that the folks over the telephone know what’s going on (if I am lucky enough to find someone that understands English).  Mod – any ideas?

Rob

Contributor

The other problem is that they said I would receive RF boxes and I clearly did not.  It does not appear that the folks over the telephone know what’s going on (if I am lucky enough to find someone that understands English)

Instructions to pair your remote with your X-1 box:

1. Press and hold the Setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.

2. Press the XFINITY button on the remote control. Your TV should display on-screen instructions. If the on-screen instructions do not appear, you may ned to press the XFINITY button again- up to five more times.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the 3-digit code that appears.

4. Once the code is correctly entered, your remote will be paired with the digital set-top box.

The set-up should work out of sight, but sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, you will need to be line of sight for steps 1 & 2. The first time I paired my remote, it worked out of sight, but every time since, I've had to start the sequence with the remote in line of sight of the X-1 box. 

These instructions are from the user's guide that comes with the remote, but sadly, I've noticed that most installers, throw the user's guide away. I scooped mine out of the installer's trash pile when I saw it and realized what it was. Neither the  installer nor his supervisor had any clue how to pair the remote to work in RF mode and almost all customer service drones (even the dedicated X-1 CS people) don't even know the remote will work in RF mode.

Regular Contributor

So every post from today (8/5) got erased?  Forum crash or 79 people with really "out-of-bounds" posts?

Regular Contributor

Seriously? All of today's posts got deleted? That doesn't sound like scheduled maintenance to me.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Temporary Solution to Resetting to 720p issue

@BondMan007 wrote:

This is very interesting:  Just for the heck of it, I just tried manually switching one of my X1 DVRs to 720p by pressing exit-exit-exit-7-2-0 and sure enough, the box reset to 720p--and it didn't ask if I wanted to keep these settings like it does when you use the menu to make the change.
This led me to thinking, what if I pressed exit-exit-exit-1-0-8-0?  Well it worked!
The problem is, the box reset to 1080i, not 1080p/30 or 1080p/60.  Plus, this action does leave you in the state just as if you had pressed the right arrow and entered a channel in the guide where the picture is on the left of the screen the the slide out guide is on the right with the numbers '720' or '1080' entered at the top where the channel goes--not a biggie but do wish it would dump you back into the normal TV watching mode.
ComcastKaraT, is there a key sequence that would allow for entering 1080p/60, not just 1080i?  If not, surely there are discrete remote codes for each of the settings in the X1.  Could these be provided so at least those with programmable remotes, like the Harmony, could add those in and force 1080p/60 everytime we turn on the TV?  This might be a good temporary fix to the resetting to 720p issue.

I confirmed with our product team that at this time there is no 1080p sequence, just 1080i. Also, not every setting has a manual remote sequence at this time

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@texascavediver wrote:

The other problem is that they said I would receive RF boxes and I clearly did not.  It does not appear that the folks over the telephone know what’s going on (if I am lucky enough to find someone that understands English)

The first time I paired my remote, it worked out of sight, but every time since, I've had to start the sequence with the remote in line of sight of the X-1 box. 

These instructions are from the user's guide that comes with the remote, but sadly, I've noticed that most installers, throw the user's guide away. I scooped mine out of the installer's trash pile when I saw it and realized what it was. Neither the  installer nor his supervisor had any clue how to pair the remote to work in RF mode and almost all customer service drones (even the dedicated X-1 CS people) don't even know the remote will work in RF mode.

Are you saying that the box and remote are, in fact, also RF? and that I do not need a specific RF box?

New Poster

I hooked it up through component and it works fine.  I also bought a hdmi to dvi-d cable that is certified HDCP compliant and still the same result.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.  I may just switch it over to component if nothing else works.

Regular Contributor

After 6 weeks and 27 calls I finally got anyroom dvr disabled with my two X1 dvr's.  This was after spending the afternoon with a tech from the main programming office for X1 and being assured that there was no solution.  After numerous internal changes and updates sent to my system the tech was sorry to say that she was correst that it was beyind current programming.  Well I woke up the next day and problem solved.  Further proof of the lack of communication within the Comcast X1 community.  Noone seems to have all the answers so everything is trial and error.

My thanks to whoever found the answer and fixed my system.

Contributor

Are you saying that the box and remote are, in fact, also RF? and that I do not need a specific RF box?

Yes. The remote will work with both RF and IR.

Frequent Visitor

How does the remote work with RF ? My experience so far with the X2 Remote (Version 2) is that it stinks when compated to the old style comcast remote. I have to point dorectly at the box for the IR to be intercepted....

So how do i setup RF ??? 

Contributor

So how do i setup RF ???

I posted the instructions above.

Frequent Visitor

@texascavediver wrote:

So how do i setup RF ???

I posted the instructions above.

When I called Comcast, they seemed to indicate that not all boxes are RF and that I would need a specific RF X1 box.  From what you are saying, that is not accurate? 

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity appears to be busy erasing any evidence about how lousy their X1 system really is. Going through weeks of having to reset boxes - anyroom not working - remotes not responding - shows not recording - recordings being deleted. 

If I was a betting man I would wager they want to remove this 'evidence' in case a group of people decides its type to file a suit against them for basically charging for services that does not work

Contributor

When I called Comcast, they seemed to indicate that not all boxes are RF and that I would need a specific RF X1 box.  From what you are saying, that is not accurate? 

I have yet to find a Comcast customer service person or installation tech that has a clue about the RF capability of the X-1 boxes. Try it. It works.

Regular Visitor

The X1 was recently introduced in my area and I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading to.  I'm reading a bunch of threads here with many different complaints and I just wanted to ask a few specific questions that could be deal-breakers depending on the answers.  It sounds like there are constant updates so hopefully I can get the most current info.

Does the remote (either R1 or R2) have an input or tv/video button?  In other words, do I need a second remote to change inputs on the TV?

Does the remote handle sound for a separate audio system?  Can you lock it so the volume buttons only control the audio system?  I think I read that the R2 remote does, so how do I guarantee that I get an R2 remote? 

What other buttons do I have on my current Comcast remote that are missing?

How bad is the lag between remote input and the box responding?  It sounds like it could truly be seconds?  Is it consistent?

How much storage is available on the DVR?  My area still doesn't have the expandable HD option available, but theoretically it will be out soon so I could just wait for that.

Are there different versions of the X1 boxes out there?  How do I know if I get a old one or a new one?  Should I request something specific?

What other deal-breakers are out there that I can't think of?

Thanks for your help!

Regular Contributor

@texascavediver wrote:

I have yet to find a Comcast customer service person or installation tech that has a clue about the RF capability of the X-1 boxes. Try it. It works.

RF only works with the DVR.  It does not work with the satellite/client boxes.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – GUIDE REQUEST

@voyager9 wrote:

If you know the show you want to record, I've found that it is easier to use Search to find the Series and then schedule the recording.  It's a lot easier then trying to find it in the Guide and having to span several days one hour at a time.

What I have found out by trying to do it this way, for individual recordings, not series recordings, is that not every scheduled broadcast of the shows I am checking is listed in the upcoming times for that show. For instance, I can manaully set up a week's worth of Phillies games online. Then if I am on the X1, and select upcoming times for the Phillies, only a few of them are listed. So, I would not be able to select them to record that way.

Contributor

SD Picture Defaults to Zoom Mode

With the satellite boxes on 2 Sony Bravo TV's, the Standard Definition channels default to Zoom mode, which gives you a distorted picture. At all times I've had the Zoom setting set to "NONE". If you go into settings, set the Zoom setting to Full, then reset it to None, the picture returns to a properly formatted 4:3 ratio. However by the next day, it is back to Zoom mode. Interestingly, I have not had this problem on the primary TV where the DVR is located. That TV is an LG. Of course this probably is related to not having a setting to pass through the Native resolution, but that doesn't explain why it is changing on its own. I wonder if Comcast is doing anything to correct that problem (native resolution pass thorough), and wonder if they have any idea why the system is reacting this way? Thanks!
Contributor

Re: SD Picture Defaults to Zoom Mode

@BFM306 wrote:
With the satellite boxes on 2 Sony Bravo TV's, the Standard Definition channels default to Zoom mode, which gives you a distorted picture. At all times I've had the Zoom setting set to "NONE". If you go into settings, set the Zoom setting to Full, then reset it to None, the picture returns to a properly formatted 4:3 ratio. However by the next day, it is back to Zoom mode. Interestingly, I have not had this problem on the primary TV where the DVR is located. That TV is an LG. Of course this probably is related to not having a setting to pass through the Native resolution, but that doesn't explain why it is changing on its own. I wonder if Comcast is doing anything to correct that problem (native resolution pass thorough), and wonder if they have any idea why the system is reacting this way? Thanks!

Native is being worked on.  See previous posts from ComcastKaraT a few days ago.

Regular Contributor

@Jorgenchr wrote:

Xfinity appears to be busy erasing any evidence about how lousy their X1 system really is. Going through weeks of having to reset boxes - anyroom not working - remotes not responding - shows not recording - recordings being deleted. 

If I was a betting man I would wager they want to remove this 'evidence' in case a group of people decides its type to file a suit against them for basically charging for services that does not work

that makes no sense - anyone with the service would be able to rebuild evidence of deficiencies in less than a week - unless Comcast have fixed everything - which would be great, but not holding my breath - hardly a day goes by that we don't have some sort of non-awesome experience.

Silver Problem Solver

@screenname137 wrote:

@Jorgenchr wrote:

that makes no sense - anyone with the service would be able to rebuild evidence of deficiencies in less than a week - unless Comcast have fixed everything - which would be great, but not holding my breath - hardly a day goes by that we don't have some sort of non-awesome experience.

I agree with you.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

The X1 remote does not have an input button, so yes, its highly irritating but you need to keep another remote around just to change inputs. 

I also find the fan noise quite loud, and on even when the unit is no on...although not all the time. Strange. 

A couple of quirck with the menu, making it hard to go ahead a day at a time, or have an easy (one click) way to get to favorites.

Mostly (except when there is a now less frequent) system problem, it all works pretty well. I could not say that a month ago, so progress is being made. Still, it feels as thought everyone is taking part in an uncompensated beta test. 

Brad

Regular Contributor

It seems that a lot of the X1problems are related to location.  Large metro areas seem to get the best service.  Aside from a few specific complaints that I have had, mostly regarding multiple DVR's, I have had no problems.  

Don't expect too much from the X2 remote.  Third party universal remotes may be the answer for you.  I have been using Harmony remotes for years instead of Comcast.

As far as time lags I think it depends on network traffic and internal box functions.  It's a computer after all and it gets busy doing computer stuff sometimes.  Maybe a little more RAM in future models would be called for.

Contributor

@mars21 wrote:

Don't expect too much from the X2 remote.  Third party universal remotes may be the answer for you.  I have been using Harmony remotes for years instead of Comcast.

Totally agree--Harmony remotes are the way to go.

Frequent Visitor

Agreed.  I highly recommend the Harmony Smart Control for $129.

Contributor

Another vote for "Day+" and "Day-" support in the guide.  

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment -- Sound

For the past couple of weeks, the wild fluctuations in sound volume I was receiving between stations, normal programing, and commercials, which seemed to have something to do to switching between dolby 5.1 and pcm sources, have been remedied. Everything is now within the normal ranges I would expect. I presume this was part of a software update to the X1 box. 

Frequent Visitor

When I change the brightness of my power button and clock, (I set them both to 1), they both revert back to "10" within 24 hours. Anyone else experincing this or know how to fix the problem?

Regular Contributor

I am having a pro

@liliwings wrote:

hi

I am looking for helpful hints re controlling the rewind and fast foward function. I noticed that it has a mind of its own.  When I choose for it to stop, it goes to where it wants to stop.  I understand that sometimes this may benefit me. It stops right as the commercials end.  But often I am trying to cue.  And the X1 and I are not seeing eye to eye when it should stop. Any suggestions re how to get it to stop where I want?  

Also is the rewind slower than the previous DVRs?  It seems to take longer to rewind on the highest speed (4)  

Thanks

I am having a problem that is similiar to yours as several times in the last week when i try to fastforward or rewind it goes all the way to the end of the program when i try to fast forward or goes back to the beginning of the program when i rewind the program and it will do that at the same spot in the program  when i start over watching the program.My question is to anybody that works for Comcast is this a known bug or just on my X1 DVR Box and how do i fix the problem.

Regular Contributor

The numbers in the settings do revert to 10 but the brightness stays as it was set.  I can live with that.

Frequent Visitor

I could live with it too if the only the numbers reverted to 10, but my brightnesses also revert to full brightness.

Frequent Visitor

New to the X1, did the latest update. No seeing anytthing too much out of whack.

* Question about the CLOCK and Power lights?

They revert to the stupidly bright "10" setting each night, after having set them to "1".

I see no "save" on the page where I change them, so the fact they change really doesn't surprise me.

Am I missing a setting or is this one of those "extremely low priority" bugs?

* when using the "search" function to set up recordings, I find you cannot return to the search input and add or subtract letters...you must clear it all off and start over. Seems like an easything to fix?

thanks

patrick

New Poster

Skip function on X1 DVR (PA px001anm)

There was a skip function on my previous Xfinity DVR, but no button for it on the new X1 remote -- and I really missed it.  I have found that the "Page Up" button will skip ahead, but the default is set to 5 minutes.  If you want to skip a shorter time, say 30 seconds of a commercial, I found the following process works -- from the Xfinity XR2 remote, press the "Exit" button 3 times, then press "0030".  Then start playing a recording, press the "Pg Up" button and it should now skip 30 seconds.

Tags (2)
Problem Solver

T

T

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - firmware status

What is the current status or versions of firmware on the X1 hub (PX001AN) and terminals (PR150BN)?

Reason for asking: it appears while the terminal update works and connects and if current, responds as being current. But the hub will not connect and responds with the following message: "This set-top box was unable to request an updated version"

My current versions are as follows:

Hub - STB Version:  PX001AN_1.2.1s5_PRODsd (Jun 22 2013)

Terminal - STB Version:  PR150BN_1.2.2s4_PRODsd (Jul 31 2013)

The installers where not able to resolve the hub update issue and left, I have also contacted Xfinity support and they were not able to resolve the update question or apparent issue. Is the above firmware the expected current version. I am having some recent issues that have been mention in this forum thread and wondering if the firmware is not at the latest it should be on the hub.

The installers had issues updating the terminals also and had to switch out the terminals till the units would update on the day of the install.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - firmware status

I saw this today:  http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/comcast-cloud-dvr-app-ios/

I wonder if this will be compatible with our current X1 equipment, or if Comcast will force us to upgrade again.