Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Hey Everyone.  I'm having issues getting my X1 box to connect to my projector.  I've tried the main X1 box and the multiroom dvr box.  The connection is going though an hdmi/dvi adapter and then run through a DVI cable direct to the projector.  The Xfinity logo apears and then goes away.  I have no video but can hear the audio through the optical to my reciever.  Is there any hdmi handshake issue known with these new boxes?  The older motorolas had no issues.

Regular Contributor

The X1 remote is not a universal remote. If you want to control componants you will have to get a 3rd market model  The Harmony series of remotes work quite well

New Poster

x1 box

it appears that you can no longer skip from day to day in the guide; so if you want to record a show that is playing in 2 weeks, you have to go thru the guide hour by hour. is there an alternative?

New Poster

Not sure if this was answered.  In order to do the 24 hour skip, hit guide and then guide again to bring up the menu on the right side.  You'll now see the guide on the right side of the screen.  Highlight a channel and they press the right arrow.  You'll now see everything airing on that channel lined up from top to bottom on the right side bar.  You can hit pg up and pg dn to skip between days.  Hope this is helpful Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

X1 shortcomings compared to old DVR

I've only had my X1 box for a few days and I really like being able to record more than 2 shows at a time, but there are several things that I could do with the old DVR that I can't do with the new X1. Here is a list of the things I have discovered. I'm sure there are more. The number in front of each entry is my 1-10 priority for each issue, 1 being the lowest priority. I am submitting this list with the hope that Comcast will someday address these issues with software updates to the X1 boxes (except the clock, which will require a hardware update also).

2 No stop button.

4 Can’t program for jump forward 30 seconds.

2 No true guide button.  The guide button takes you to a mini-guide where I can view a list of channels and can even select a channel to see what is playing on that channel for the day, but to get a list of all channels and what is playing for the day I have to get to the guide via the xfinity button.

4 Guide popups are bothersome in that they block part of the guide itself.  But if you turn the popups off you get no information at all.  The old guide had the same info as these bothersome popups on all entries. 

4 Can’t set a series to record only from a specific channel.  I want Perry Mason from channel 196 only, not from Hallmark too.

8 Can’t set up a list of favorite channels.  I used to have 9, 15, 17, 62, 271, 272, 274, 276 in a favorites list so I could look easily check to see what I wanted to record for the day.  Now I have to go through the listings 4 separate times to do the same thing.

8 No way to view what movies are running for the day.  I used to check to see what movies would be running during the day to see if I would like to record any of them, but I can’t do this at all now.

6 Can’t jump the guide forward by a day at a time in case want to set up recordings for a weekend when I’ll be out of to town.

5 Can’t pause, jump back, or jump forward on live TV from satellite boxes.  To do this you have to record the program and then view it from the recording.  These features work on the main box

7 No clock on satellite boxes.

4 Satellite boxes don’t have Facebook and Pandora apps.

Contributor

X2 remote can control your avr volume. Codes can be found at bottom here: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/
Frequent Visitor

@D3THY wrote:

Not sure if this was answered.  In order to do the 24 hour skip, hit guide and then guide again to bring up the menu on the right side.  You'll now see the guide on the right side of the screen.  Highlight a channel and they press the right arrow.  You'll now see everything airing on that channel lined up from top to bottom on the right side bar.  You can hit pg up and pg dn to skip between days.  Hope this is helpful Smiley Happy

D3THY, I don't know what system you're on, but my newly installed X1 box does not work like this. I don't believe there is a day skip option yet.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 shortcomings compared to old DVR

@potemkin wrote:

I've only had my X1 box for a few days and I really like being able to record more than 2 shows at a time, but there are several things that I could do with the old DVR that I can't do with the new X1. Here is a list of the things I have discovered. I'm sure there are more. The number in front of each entry is my 1-10 priority for each issue, 1 being the lowest priority. I am submitting this list with the hope that Comcast will someday address these issues with software updates to the X1 boxes (except the clock, which will require a hardware update also).

2 No stop button. If you are viewing a recording, you can press either pause or exit. Why is a STOP button needed?

4 Can’t program for jump forward 30 seconds. You can. press exit 3 times, enter 0030, then exit.

2 No true guide button.  The guide button takes you to a mini-guide where I can view a list of channels and can even select a channel to see what is playing on that channel for the day, but to get a list of all channels and what is playing for the day I have to get to the guide via the xfinity button.

Just hit guide twice. You get a full screen guide.

4 Guide popups are bothersome in that they block part of the guide itself.  But if you turn the popups off you get no information at all.  The old guide had the same info as these bothersome popups on all entries. You can still hit "info" if you turn off the pop-ups.

4 Can’t set a series to record only from a specific channel.  I want Perry Mason from channel 196 only, not from Hallmark too.  I feel ya, bro. Major PITA.

8 Can’t set up a list of favorite channels.  I used to have 9, 15, 17, 62, 271, 272, 274, 276 in a favorites list so I could look easily check to see what I wanted to record for the day.  Now I have to go through the listings 4 separate times to do the same thing.

8 No way to view what movies are running for the day.  I used to check to see what movies would be running during the day to see if I would like to record any of them, but I can’t do this at all now.

6 Can’t jump the guide forward by a day at a time in case want to set up recordings for a weekend when I’ll be out of to town. Ditto item 4 above.

5 Can’t pause, jump back, or jump forward on live TV from satellite boxes.  To do this you have to record the program and then view it from the recording.  These features work on the main box

Just use the "last" button, then select the show you want to go back to.

7 No clock on satellite boxes. There is on mine. Very bright, too.

4 Satellite boxes don’t have Facebook and Pandora apps. Mine has Pandora. Hmmm.

Frequent Visitor

@D3THY wrote:

My X1 box works nothing like this. Kara, are some X1 boxes that different? I still believe there is no 24 hour guide skip available.

Official Employee

@blackhorse16a wrote:

@D3THY wrote:

My X1 box works nothing like this. Kara, are some X1 boxes that different? I still believe there is no 24 hour guide skip available.

if you hit guide once you end up scrolling down on the small guide instead of scrolling across on the big guide

but thanks to that post i found an easy way to set favorites

hit guide once for guide on the right

highlight the channel you want to favorite

press right arrow

arrow up to channel info

click favorite

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@blackhorse16a wrote:

@potemkin wrote:

2 No stop button. If you are viewing a recording, you can press either pause or exit. Why is a STOP button needed?

4 Can’t program for jump forward 30 seconds. You can. press exit 3 times, enter 0030, then exit.

Just hit guide twice. You get a full screen guide.

4 Guide popups are bothersome in that they block part of the guide itself.  But if you turn the popups off you get no information at all.  The old guide had the same info as these bothersome popups on all entries. You can still hit "info" if you turn off the pop-ups.

4 Can’t set a series to record only from a specific channel.  I want Perry Mason from channel 196 only, not from Hallmark too.  I feel ya, bro. Major PITA.  I have found you can Search for the show you want (Perry Mason). Hit OK then scroll down to Episode Guide and hit right arrow. Scroll through list of available episodes until you find it on the channel you want, say 193 (MeTV instead of Hallmark 794) right arrow to Record than OK. Select Record Series, on Options screen ensure that This Channel is selected and then hit Record. You should then only get the show on this channel. Oh you may want to ensure other options are correct such as Record New and Repeats. Hope this helps.

6 Can’t jump the guide forward by a day at a time in case want to set up recordings for a weekend when I’ll be out of to town. Ditto item 4 above.

Just use the "last" button, then select the show you want to go back to.

7 No clock on satellite boxes. There is on mine. Very bright, too.

4 Satellite boxes don’t have Facebook and Pandora apps. Mine has Pandora. Hmmm.

Regular Contributor

@blackhorse16a wrote:

@D3THY wrote:

It's not an actual 24 hour skip, it's just a page down, but it's quicker than scrolling through the large guide as it skips hours at a time depending on how long the programs are.  You can also bring up this "mini" guide using the right arrow on the remote while watching TV.  

Regular Contributor

@C_DM wrote:

@PSUGOLD wrote:

Is it normal for the fan/hard drive in the X1 DVR main box to be so loud?  It is a constant droning in the background, and when the TV is off or volume low it is very noticeable.  I would put this box in another room, but the satellite boxes do not allow pausing of live TV so it has to stay in there.  It is getting kinda irritating to hear the constant buzzing/humming/fan noise.  Is it normally this noticeable?

Yeah, the fan is on pretty much all the time (even if the box is "off", or essentially in standby mode).  It's not extremely loud, but it is fairly noticeable when the surroundings are quiet.  Unfortunately short of having the box somewhere else, it would probably take some type of a firmware/software update for the box to behave differently and use the fan in a different manner.

I have had the box for about 2 weeks now. A lot of what was going on earlier was worked out before I got mine. But, mine does not have a loud fan at all. I can not hear it at all, not even a little bit. And, it sits right in front of me, not behind glass or anything.

Silver Problem Solver

@mars21 wrote:

When scheduling a recording you can select "this channel only".

Sometimes, sometimes not.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Xenfernox311 wrote:

Can anyone provide me with information on how to obtain an X1 remote that can controll the volume of my Onkyo AVR?  The tech/sales people i keep getting at 1-800-comcast say it dosent exist in Houston.

Also if anyone that works on the X1 is reading , channels 601 FOXHD and 613 ABCHD do not show in the guide when sorted by HD.

**edit: forgot to ask, does anyone know what the resolution diffrence is between just 1080P ,1080P TAB and 1080p SBS?

Thank you!

I live in Bellaire. I have a TR-NX609. But I also have a Samsung LED TV and a Samsung BD player. If I turn on the TV or the player, my Onkyo turns on. I think it is DNLA, or something like that.

So, my remote is programmed for the TV.  When I press the All-Power button, the TV and the X1 DVR turn on, and that causes my Onkyo to turn on.

I've never seen those 1080P options before.

HTH.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mars21 wrote:

So, when do you see it? I never have.

Contributor

@blackhorse16a wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@mars21 wrote:

So, when do you see it? I never have.

It is an option when recording a series. When setting up a series recording you get six options including Start  and Stop (Minutes early or late) as well as a Save option and Record On (This Channel Any Time or Any Channel). I have never seen it when just recording a single show.

New Poster

Hi. I am a tech in indiana. We are having tons of issues here and we can't seem to get any knowledge about the fixes. Do you work with NASR if you don't mind me asking . It would be great to pick your brain so I can better help other techs here that look to me for answers on this system..
Regular Contributor

@Xenfernox311 wrote:

Can anyone provide me with information on how to obtain an X1 remote that can controll the volume of my Onkyo AVR?  The tech/sales people i keep getting at 1-800-comcast say it dosent exist in Houston.

Also if anyone that works on the X1 is reading , channels 601 FOXHD and 613 ABCHD do not show in the guide when sorted by HD.

**edit: forgot to ask, does anyone know what the resolution diffrence is between just 1080P ,1080P TAB and 1080p SBS?

Thank you!

1-800-Comcast - what a joke.  Google is your best bet:

Instructions:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/#Devices_work_w_XR2

Audio Device Codes:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/Setup_Codes_for_Audio_Device...

That should work - it works for my Denon system.

Official Employee

Msumie i sent you a pm

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Platform

@liliwings wrote:

Hi DutchJack

I called comcast about this problem. I was told that if I wanted to read the font better I would have to change the contrast on my television set.  I have an analog tv.   I think this may be why I have such a difficut time reading the letters in the guide... especially the channels and the descriptions of the shows.

I have to get up and go to the TV set and look very carefully to read certain things.  I am planning to give it a month to see if it is worth it. otherwise I will go back to the old DVR. The problem there is that the DVRs are refurbished.  They honestly do not work well.  The X1 boxes are new.  

Just know you are not the only one who is experiencing difficulty reading some of the font in the guide.  

liliwings- you will have the ability to change the guide font size in Settings > Preferences > Change Guide Font Sizes. We are also looking into better ways to improve the contrast with the release of X2. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@duckjump wrote:

ComcastKara,

I am also still having the same issue since the box was installed about a month ago.  Every day I have to manually switch the box back to 1080 P and then the next day is always switches back to 720 p. 

Quick update on this - our team continues to investigate the issue and hopes to have a fix out to production ASAP. At this point in time, I do not have any information on timing. 

Regular Contributor

Re: New X1 Platform remote

@BondMan007 wrote:

If you view info for a recorded show from the DVR menu, the airdate is displayed.

However, when you view info for a recorded show while watching it, the airdate is missing.

Please add this to the future feature list.

Thanks, BondMan007 - great idea!

Regular Contributor

@potemkin wrote:

2 No stop button.

4 Can’t program for jump forward 30 seconds.

4 Guide popups are bothersome in that they block part of the guide itself.  But if you turn the popups off you get no information at all.  The old guide had the same info as these bothersome popups on all entries. 

4 Can’t set a series to record only from a specific channel.  I want Perry Mason from channel 196 only, not from Hallmark too.

6 Can’t jump the guide forward by a day at a time in case want to set up recordings for a weekend when I’ll be out of to town.

7 No clock on satellite boxes.

4 Satellite boxes don’t have Facebook and Pandora apps.

thanks for your comments, potemkin. few comments in red below

2 No stop button. -- Exit button now acts as a stop button. 

3 No true guide button.  The guide button takes you to a mini-guide where I can view a list of channels and can even select a channel to see what is playing on that channel for the day, but to get a list of all channels and what is playing for the day I have to get to the guide via the xfinity button. - if you hit the guide button twice on the remote, the full screen version will appear

4 Guide popups are bothersome in that they block part of the guide itself.  But if you turn the popups off you get no information at all.  The old guide had the same info as these bothersome popups on all entries. - you can disable the guide pop ups in Settings > Preferences > Info pop ups

4 Can’t set a series to record only from a specific channel.  I want Perry Mason from channel 196 only, not from Hallmark too. - if you record from the guide on the specific channel, you will see a "Record On" option which allow you to record from your preferred channel. Setting series recordings from search results will record on all possible stations. 

8 Can’t set up a list of favorite channels.  I used to have 9, 15, 17, 62, 271, 272, 274, 276 in a favorites list so I could look easily check to see what I wanted to record for the day.  Now I have to go through the listings 4 separate times to do the same thing. - while in the guide, if you scroll left to the channel logo, hit OK > Favorite

8 No way to view what movies are running for the day.  I used to check to see what movies would be running during the day to see if I would like to record any of them, but I can’t do this at all now. - we are working on improving the filtering options now - more to come

6 Can’t jump the guide forward by a day at a time in case want to set up recordings for a weekend when I’ll be out of to town. - a common request that is on our backlog for possible future enhancements

Regular Contributor

Re: x1 box

@srh2751 wrote:

it appears that you can no longer skip from day to day in the guide; so if you want to record a show that is playing in 2 weeks, you have to go thru the guide hour by hour. is there an alternative?

Skip by day is on the backlog for possible future enhancements. If you search for a show (type in show name) > hit Info > Episode Guide - you can see the upcoming times and set recordings from there

Regular Contributor

@blackhorse16a wrote:

@D3THY wrote:

Hitting guide once on the remotes will prompt the mini guide on all boxes. If you hit the right arrow on a highlighted channel, only that channels listings will appear. Page up/down will allow you to "skip" hours for that one channel. 

The skip by day feature for the full screen guide is a known request with the comcast/X1 organization.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mars21 wrote:

If you set a recording from a search result, you will not have the "record on" option. If you set a recording from the guide, you will see that option. 

Regular Contributor

@Xenfernox311 wrote:

Channels 609 FOXHD and 613 ABCHD do not show in the guide when sorted by HD.

I know ABC in Houston doesn't provide HD content informaton for programs. I thought Fox did, though. But I just checked and don't see any HD tags. I think the content providers and who ever provides the guide info (TV Guide etc) is responsible for that.

TAB, Top and Bottom, and SBS, Side-by-side are 3D formats. Cable systems weren't designed to handle 3D, so they had to come up with a way to support it without scrapping the system that's already in place.

Here is more info:

http://opticalflow.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/side-by-side-versus-top-and-bottom-3d-formats/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/12/hd-101-the-difference-between-sequential-and-side-by-side-3d/

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@tdinoulis wrote:

Hey Everyone.  I'm having issues getting my X1 box to connect to my projector.  I've tried the main X1 box and the multiroom dvr box.  The connection is going though an hdmi/dvi adapter and then run through a DVI cable direct to the projector.  The Xfinity logo apears and then goes away.  I have no video but can hear the audio through the optical to my reciever.  Is there any hdmi handshake issue known with these new boxes?  The older motorolas had no issues.

How long is your cable to the projector? Does your projector's DVI input support HDCP?

HDMi in general has handshake issues.

I'd try getting the X1 box close to the projector and connecting it with a short cable to test if it works. If it does then you know there's an issue with the longer cable.

Tags (3)
Regular Contributor

ComcastKara, I haven't seen any posts regarding the 1080P reset as a bug, Can you conform this? Is a fix in the works? Is it a known issue?

You can send an X1 engineer to my house anytime to check it out! Smiley Wink

It's getting really annoying. And I'm going to have to purchase this $90 device to try a "solve" the problem in the mean time. Smiley Sad

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

I have found as suggested here that setting resolution to 1080i the dvr stays set.Tried this after my upgrade last week when the X1 dvr after setting to 1080p kept re setting to 720p now, it stays set at 1080i .Good alternative till a fix for 1080p happens I, didn't have this problem with client boxes they stay set just the dvr.as far as the surround setting on client boxes it stays set on dvr as mentioned before it does reset to stereo butm, on my Sherwood receiver still shows digital 5.1 and seems to bve trhe case.

New Poster

The cable is 50ft.  The projectors DVI-I does support HDCP.  I've played around with it some more and here is what it is doing. 

The box starts and the picture appears and audio works via optical.  The picture size is off..  It isn't filling the bottom of the screen and when I hit guide or the xfinity button the screen shrinks down but shows no guide or options.  Just a blank screen with the video playing in the top corner.  and the picture is very compressed and distorted.  When I go into my projector menu the signal it is receiving is 1024x768 and I have no way of changing it.  When i plug the box into the other TV in my house it works fine and I change the settings to 720p and no zoom/full zoom..  The "Zoom" fucntion made no difference.  The box i have now was identical to the box I had in the room before just not an X1 box, and that worked flawless.

New Poster

Could this issue be related to the issue that the remote does not turn off the cable box?
I lose my closed caption preference, my surround preference and my 1080 p preference when I use the button on the box to turn it off ( since the remote won't )
Maybe the box is designed to stay powers up at all times?

I've decided to just leave it on, but set the power saver mode. I'll report back if this works
Contributor

Have had the X-1 for a few weeks now, and it is working well. However signal strength was an issue during setup. The tech moved my connection outside to the trunk line to improve the signal. In the old Cisco boxes you could simply hit "HELP" with the DVR off and you would get a full diagnostic report (about 30 pages!) with the signal strength for all tuners, S/N ratio, fault codes, etc. Is there any way to do this with the new X-1 DVR and satellites?
Regular Contributor

Kara,

Is the isolation of two dvr's a issue being pursued?

Regular Contributor

I have noticed that there have been several updates over the last week.  Last night it appears that the weather app was updated and the map disappeared.  That was the most useful part of the app.  What happened?

Problem Solver

X-1 diagnostics screen

Hold down Exit button for 5 seconds

hit down arrow twice

push # 2 button

that brings up diagnostics  screen.   Use arrows to navigate.  Exit button to exit diags.

New Poster

Can you Pair (wifi) remotes with companion boxes?

My Main X1 DVR remote is paired and works great.  The box is on a different floor and the remote works fine.

However, I have the same kind of setup with one of my "companion" boxes but the pairing procedure does not work.

Do i have to enable that feature on the smaller companion boxes?

Regular Contributor

@tdinoulis wrote:

You may have to force it do a different resolution depending on what the projector can support.  By default the box is in 720p – but maybe the projector doesn't support 720p. Try forcing it to 480p using the manual shortcuts below: 

To change to 480: Press: exit-exit-exit-4-8-0 

To change back to 720p, Press: exit-exit-exit-7-2-0  

New Poster

It definitely supports 720P and I have tried changing the resolution to 480 and back again with the same results.  According to the projector the signal it is getting is not 720p. 

Regular Contributor

@captainvideojw wrote:

ComcastKara, I haven't seen any posts regarding the 1080P reset as a bug, Can you conform this? Is a fix in the works? Is it a known issue?

You can send an X1 engineer to my house anytime to check it out! Smiley Wink

It's getting really annoying. And I'm going to have to purchase this $90 device to try a "solve" the problem in the mean time. Smiley Sad

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW

The X1 team is trying to get a fix out to product as soon as possible. I do not have an ETA at this time. Once I have more info to share, I will post a comment on all the threads I monitor. 

Regular Contributor

@mars21 wrote:

Kara,

Is the isolation of two dvr's a issue being pursued?

Apologies - just to I understand the question, you are looking to isolate 2 X1 DVRs from the anyroom functionality? If that is the case, you will need to have billing remote the anyroom DVR feature from your account. If that is not the issue, feel free to send me a PM. 

Regular Visitor

Re: HATE THE NEW GUIDE

Can't advance day on guide. Tries b and c keys. Nothing happens.
New Poster

Using search

I just got the X1 today. On my old box I could see all movies currently showing on any cable station and the scroll to the next half hour to look for something I want to watch. Is this possible on the x1? Lack of this could be a deal breaker with my partner.
Regular Visitor

X1 Power Save

How does the X1 box to decide it's not in use before it shuts down (if power save is enabled)? Rumor forums say there is a camera in the box.
Frequent Visitor

Pandora MP3 kbps?

I really love the Pandora app in my X1 platform but, What is the kbps? Thanks

Regular Contributor

Kara,

You have the issue correct.  I have called at least 20 times and no one can seem to figure out how to remove anyroom.  If you know the secret, please share and I'll pass it along.

Frequent Visitor

Video Resolution Reset Problem

I recently upgraded to the Xfinity XG1-P cable box.  I set the video resolution on the box to 1080p to match the supported resolution of my TV. However, I have an issue where the box resets itself to the 720p video resolution after a time of inactivity (overnight). I can reset the video resolution back to 1080p but it eventually resets to 720p.  I have seen similar problems reported on this site.  Is there a resolution? This was never a problem with the old cable box (which could output 1080i).

The XG1-P is connected to the TV through a 4-port HDMI switch. Other inputs on the switch include an Apple TV and a Blue Ray player.  I have tried numerous times to trigger the reset (e.g., switching between the 3 inputs, turning each device on/off, including the TV and HDMI switch) to no avail.

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

I am adding my voice to this request.  Just got my X1 box 2 days ago (07/31/13) and am amazed that useful features on my older remote were completely ignored on the newer, "better" remote.

Also the guide should wrap around during scrolling.

Official Employee

Re: HATE THE NEW GUIDE

Can't advance day on guide. Tries b and c keys. Nothing happens.

You can't find it because it doesn't exist