Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Frequent Visitor

Re: New X1 Platform remote

If you put in the name of the show it will come up with the show times on the side of the screen.

Contributor

If you view info for a recorded show from the DVR menu, the airdate is displayed.

However, when you view info for a recorded show while watching it, the airdate is missing.

Please add this to the future feature list.

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

I had the x1 installed today after calling and requesting them. It has not gone smoothly and was hoping someone could help me out.

Issue 1. The 2nd box in the bedroom does not play well with my 8 year old panasonic hdtv. No matter the cord choice, I get a small box of picture in the upper left of the tv.

Issue 2. On demand and dvr are not working. I am able to browse to a title and create a series recording but none of these are due to record yet. When I go to a show thats about to start and attempt to record it, I get no response when I click the record button. It's like it never happened

I sent the tech on his way after trying to resolve the small screen issue upstairs, unaware on demand was not working.

Contributor

emmabellasmama wrote:

silly question but we just switched over from a HD DVR to the new X1. Love it for real BUT I went to set up my recording and am unable to skip forward to certain days in the channel guide like I could in my old DVR. I hate to have to call comcast to ask such a silly question and could not find anything in the user guides. Does anyone know how to skip to certain days in the channel guide to set up recordings rather than scrolling through the LONG way? TIA Smiley Happy

Unfortunately there is no Jump by day or other long term forward while in the Guide. What I have found is I just use Search to add shows to my record list. Search is pretty easy on the X1 just start keying the name of the show in from any screen and the search list pops up on the right of the screen.

Contributor

@rap220 wrote:

Got the X1 installed on Monday morning.  Worked great all day and yesterday.  Early around 2am this morning the system called for a box restart.  I was heading to bed anyway so I shut the TV off.  Turned it on this morning and it is stuck in "Boot" mode.  It is now 2:01pm.  Signals have been sent, the box has been unplugged and the power button has been held in for 10 seconds.  They will send a tech out......6 days from now. 

I had a similar problem when my box was new it also froze in the middle of a download. My fix was to unplug the box at the back of the box for a minute then plug it back in. After a minute or so the download started over then the box rebooted. I don't know if this will help you, just thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Frequent Visitor

After about 13 days of frequent tech support calls, we have finally solved most of the issues with the X1 box. The one remaining problem is that CH 609 & 613 will not record in HD. They both revert to 009 & 013. No other HD channel has this problem. I can watch them in HD live, but when I try to schedual a recording they show the SD channels. I have tried to set the recording from the main box, the other room box, and from my coumputer all with the same result.

All in all this has been a very disappointing upgrade. Way to many bugs.

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

@Ken13 wrote:

After about 13 days of frequent tech support calls, we have finally solved most of the issues with the X1 box. The one remaining problem is that CH 609 & 613 will not record in HD. They both revert to 009 & 013. No other HD channel has this problem. I can watch them in HD live, but when I try to schedual a recording they show the SD channels. I have tried to set the recording from the main box, the other room box, and from my coumputer all with the same result.

All in all this has been a very disappointing upgrade. Way to many bugs.

How are you setting the recordings on those channels (on the cable box)?  Straight from the particular show on a particular channel in the guide, or through a search or some other means (not counting computer, mobile device, etc.)?

Frequent Visitor

I have tried setting the recordings both from the guide and from the search on both the main and the remote box. Same SD results. Also from the computer. Ditto.

Tech home visit is set for Fri 8-10.

Problem Solver

@Ken13 wrote:

I have tried setting the recordings both from the guide and from the search on both the main and the remote box. Same SD results. Also from the computer. Ditto.

It should stick when you do it from the guide since usually the option of "on this channel only" is there, while from search or some other places, you can usually choose "HD when available", but that doesn't always seem to work out correctly.

Regular Contributor

You cannot skip by day in the x1 guide.
Regular Contributor

On the first issue go to device settings and make sure your output resolution is set to at least 720p.  

New Poster

whats odd is I am not presented with the option of any resolution. The option is simply not there nor is it stated what the resolution is presently set at. This was true when the main box and secondary box were hooked up to this particular tv.

the on demand and dvr issue has been resolved. Yet I am not informed any action has been taken when I choose to record a show.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@HD-Tech wrote:

Kara - Please make sure the next revision in includes a new feature to not reset the power light brightness to full brightness after physically pressing the power button.  Another innovative feature would be, if this box is forced to be on all time, that if I press something on the remote, how about it actually responds first time in the morning?  Right now, it is very sluggish on the first couple of presses (or about 5 seconds).  Finally, a very clever feature would be to not count time while watching DVR or On-Demand towards engaging the screen saver feature. 

Thanks, HD-Tech. 

RE: power button - the button will be at its brightest during the reboot process, however should default to your settings once the box is up and running. If this is not the case, please send me a PM and we can look into this. 

Re: your other suggestions - I have shared it with our product team. Thanks!

Kara - No PM is necessary.  This issue has been reported already a few times in this thread.  I have (had) 3 boxes in total (all DVRs, 1 was very recently replaced) and they all do this.  It was a change with one of the latest updates when the power button on the box was the only way to turn it "off" (and I use that term lightly).  Please check more closely on an actual box and you will indeed see the that bug exists.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Volume Settings

RobertWy wrote

How do you connect your TV to the X1?  For instance, my AVR connects to my TV by HDMI and my X1 connects by HDMI to my AVR.  In other words, my AVR produces the sound.

The X1 still produces the sound when it goes thru your AVR. Otherwise, you would not hear anything while watching TV. Your AVR simply passes thru or enhances the audio (depending on how you have it set up). But the X1 is the audio source.

Frequent Visitor

Software update happens and HDMI stops sending a signal. Coincidence?

Tonight we watched TV and everything was fine. We turned everything off for dinner and when we came back it was as if the box was dead: no picture, not lights, no sound. We unplugged and plugged back in and the green power button light came on along with two white bars on the left side. Still nothing onscreen. Then the box just shuts off - no lights. We unplugged the cable and tried again (with it unplugged - it was an inadvertant test) and this time we saw the "Xfinity" logo on the screen, but not the boot up red X. Within less than a minute the box had shut itself down again. We tried that again and noticed that after about 10-15 seconds the resolution reset (on the TV) to 720 (it's never done that resolution reset before). After another 10 seconds or so the box shuts off.

We decided to try the composite output - turns out that works just fine! And when we go to the Xfinity menu, instead of saying "DVR" it says "Saved" (with a little red "DVR" superscript by it - although that disappears when you actually pick the "Saved" (formerly DVR) menu.

Looks like a software update happened while we were eating dinner, which has broken the HDMI output. (Certainly suspicious that there has been a "resetting from 1080 to 720 problem and now a software update creates a problem with symptoms including resetting from 1080 to 720 and disabling HDMI...)

We called the regular 800 number and they said it all looked fine on their end and it must be the box that is broken and a service guy will be out tomorrow to replace it (and we'll lose all our recordings). This was before we tried the composite output (he didn't suggest anything like that).

I don't want to deal with a service call and a new box. Any chance there will be another software update to undo whatever this last one broke?
New Poster

Really wish the remote had a skip by day feature like old remote had!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Count, but this box has been unplugged and plugged back in I don't know how many times.  Even to the point where I unplugged it for an hour or so. 

New Poster

Re: Does X1 have anything like the old category and sub-category search menus?

I have the same question, hope someone can help.

Frequent Visitor

See 7/24/13 post

Ken13 wrote:

The Tech could not fix the 609/613 SD problem. Says it is a guide software problem. I can record a currently broadcasting 609/613 program in HD, but there is no way to schedule a future program on these channels that does not revert to 009/013 SD. 

Hopfully the X1 engineers will adress this problem, someday. I quit! :-(

Frequent Visitor

Re: Software update happens and HDMI stops sending a signal. Coincidence?

@justjulie wrote:
...Looks like a software update happened while we were eating dinner, which has broken the HDMI output. (Certainly suspicious that there has been a "resetting from 1080 to 720 problem and now a software update creates a problem with symptoms including resetting from 1080 to 720 and disabling HDMI...)

Luckily (well, as lucky as we can get with a product that seems to not utilize any of the standard software development or user interface approaches to creating a usable system) HDMI on our X1 "magically" started working again this morning. 

Still to be seen is whether this latest update (since it still has the "Saved" vs "DVR" label) has created the 1080/720-reset problem for my system (which never had that problem before).

Having worked in software development for decades, I wonder if the "free software as beta" approach that so many web companies have used has now migrated to the full-pay customer situation as well. Whatever happened to actually testing software internally BEFORE releasing it to customers?

Diamond Problem Solver

Tonight we watched TV and everything was fine. We turned everything off for dinner and when we came back it was as if the box was dead: no picture, not lights, no sound. We unplugged and plugged back in and the green power button light came on along with two white bars on the left side. Still nothing onscreen. Then the box just shuts off - no lights. We unplugged the cable and tried again (with it unplugged - it was an inadvertant test) and this time we saw the "Xfinity" logo on the screen, but not the boot up red X. Within less than a minute the box had shut itself down again. We tried that again and noticed that after about 10-15 seconds the resolution reset (on the TV) to 720 (it's never done that resolution reset before). After another 10 seconds or so the box shuts off.

We decided to try the composite output - turns out that works just fine! And when we go to the Xfinity menu, instead of saying "DVR" it says "Saved" (with a little red "DVR" superscript by it - although that disappears when you actually pick the "Saved" (formerly DVR) menu.

Looks like a software update happened while we were eating dinner, which has broken the HDMI output. (Certainly suspicious that there has been a "resetting from 1080 to 720 problem and now a software update creates a problem with symptoms including resetting from 1080 to 720 and disabling HDMI...)

We called the regular 800 number and they said it all looked fine on their end and it must be the box that is broken and a service guy will be out tomorrow to replace it (and we'll lose all our recordings). This was before we tried the composite output (he didn't suggest anything like that).

I don't want to deal with a service call and a new box. Any chance there will be another software update to undo whatever this last one broke?

1. The saved is a new heading

2. Did you try a different HDMI cord and different output on the TV in case it wasn't the box?

3. You won't lose your recording if the DVR is swapped out

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have a professional-grade universal remote, complete with learning capability.  For some reason, I am unable to get it to work with the new X1 box.  Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Highlighted
New Poster

I fixed my issue by hooking up my box to a different tv and adjusting the resolution to 480i. This only works if you are able to bring a tv in the room so you dont have to power down your box.

The tv I was using actually downconverts hdmi signals to 480

even though it has an HDMI input, it is not an hdtv. I doubt many will expereince the same issues as me

Diamond Problem Solver

I have a professional-grade universal remote, complete with learning capability. For some reason, I am unable to get it to work with the new X1 box. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Whats the brand and did you check the website to see if it is compatible?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have had my new X1 boxes for two weeks now and my eyes are definitely suffering.  I do have all of my tv's set with the largest fonts available, but this font is still quite a bit smaller than the old display.  It looks like you are trying to get so much information on the screen that the print is way too small.  Please understand that not all of your customers are young with good eyes.  I might be forced to go back to the old equipment if this cannot be corrected.  Also, I miss my old "last" button.  With the old equipment, I could be watching something I taped and immediately switch to another channel.  Please give this back to us.

Frequent Visitor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
Tonight we watched TV and everything was fine. We turned everything off for dinner and when we came back it was as if the box was dead: no picture, not lights, no sound. <ETC>

<ETC>

1. The saved is a new heading

2. Did you try a different HDMI cord and different output on the TV in case it wasn't the box?

3. You won't lose your recording if the DVR is swapped out

1. I understand that "Saved" is a new (actually just renamed) heading. My point is that it was a clear indication that the software had been updated while we were eating dinner.

2. I plugged the same HDMI cord into our DirecTV box (which we haven't disconnected yet) and it worked perfectly. (It's impossible to get to the back of the TV without removing it from the wall.)

3. I thought we shouldn't lose our recordings (with this whole cloud aspect of the setup), but the guy on the phone apologized profusely for it and definitely said they would be lost. Since we lost all the recordings last time (but we were swapping from standard DVR to X1) I didn't want to take the chance.

I think my hypothesis that it was related to the software update seems confirmed, in that it is now working fine and I didn't do anything more other than click the "On" button on the remote.

Thanks!

j

Regular Visitor

I just got the X1 today. It seems to be working fine, but I'm having issues keeping the resolution at 1080P. I set it! But it keeps going back to 720. Anyone else having this issue?
New Poster

Help me get my inputs right

I have a couple concerns.... I just received the X1 platform this week. 2 hdtvs. Now, I do love the sexy layout. Very simple to use, easy on the eyes, so I'm happy there. And, I'm not stupid, so I understand that its a new platform, so there are gonna be a few hiccups til they get it right. But there are 2 problems I've encountered that pull me out of the experience. 1) The X1 remote does not have an input option, which sucks considering I'm a gamer and I also have an appletv. I had a remote (Blu-Link) that controlled all my devices. But now it doesnt recognize the new cablebox, I can't find any code that will work, so I'm forced to use 2 remotes. (SUCKS!)

2) On the back of the new cablebox I noticed 2 HDMI inputs. When i saw these inputs I became real excited. I plugged in my PS3 and my appletv..... nothing. I went through the cablebox settings to see if there was an option to switch inputs (considering that there is no input option on the remote, I thought that it would a genius move to give the cablebox the ability to switch between all my devices with a touch of a button), but to no aveil. So what I'm getting at is, if there is anyway to make this a possibility please let me know. And also, Comcast! If you could make the input option on the cablebox available in a future update, that would be genius. If you wanna take it to another level, thats what needs to happen.... just saying.

Regular Contributor

@Rayfundora wrote:
I just got the X1 today. It seems to be working fine, but I'm having issues keeping the resolution at 1080P. I set it! But it keeps going back to 720. Anyone else having this issue?

I am not having that problem as my output resolution stays at 16:9 1080p HD ever since i got my X1 3 weeks ago and it seems to be working fine for me.I have had other problems but not the one that you are having.

Regular Visitor

Thanks!
Diamond Problem Solver

It's been said a few times your resolution should be set to 1080i and it will stay there

Regular Visitor

Thanks, but I would think that it should be able to stay set at 1080P too. I assume this is a known problem to comcast?
Diamond Problem Solver

Thanks, but I would think that it should be able to stay set at 1080P too. I assume this is a known problem to comcast?

There is nothing being broadcast in 1080p

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info Andrew!
New Poster

New X1 customer and having some trouble with it.

1. The second box in my bedroom won't rewind. The main DVR will, but the regular box upstairs won't. I would think it would be able to. 

2. Multiple programs I have set to record (all series recording) don't record. Shows scheduled but don't record. 

Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:

It's been said a few times your resolution should be set to 1080i and it will stay there

While that may be true, that is not good for picture quality. 

If you do that, assuming you have a 1080p HDTV, for FOX, ABC, Discovery, ESPN, FX and any other ABC/Disney network that broadcasts in 720p, the X1 will upconvert and DEINTERLACE to 1080i only to have the signal re-INTERLACED back to 1080p in your AVR or HDTV--not good if you care about picture quality.

This has been requested several times:  We need the X1 to have a "native" output resolution setting, just like the last generation Motorola boxes had.  Apparently, Comcast engineers are currently looking into this.

The only issue we had with 'native' in the old DVRs is that they also would revert to 720p but in my experience only from time to time, not daily as with the X1.

Regular Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
I have a professional-grade universal remote, complete with learning capability. For some reason, I am unable to get it to work with the new X1 box. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Whats the brand and did you check the website to see if it is compatible?

I have logitech Harmony One and 900; they both work fine.  What type remote do you have?  Could be just a config problem - did a "pro" set it up?  

FWIW, I have yet to experience a pro-grade remote - they all seem very consumer oriented regardless of price, but the harmonys work pretty well - they pass the "wife test" and that is saying something.

Diamond Problem Solver

But for the majority of people out there that don't have a 1080p TV or know about interlaced signal etc. it's the best solution until a native resolution comes along

Contributor

@Andrew.lindsay wrote:
But for the majority of people out there that don't have a 1080p TV or know about interlaced signal etc. it's the best solution until a native resolution comes along

Agreed.

Frequent Visitor

I have a MX-600 by URC. It does have full learning capability. Do these net remotes use a different IR technology?
Frequent Visitor

Is it true that only a tech can connect the X1 boxes or can I pick one up and do it myself after contacting sales?

Diamond Problem Solver

The x1 boxes are tech install only

Frequent Visitor

I've read about programming the XR2 to change the forward skip time, but where am I supposed to be when I hit "exit" 3 times? If I do it viewing live, nothing happens; if I do it watching a recording, it exits the recording.

???

Contributor

Blackhorse16a,

Press 'Exit' 3 times then '0030'.

Now the page up button should skip ahead 30 seconds and the page down buton goes back 15 seconds. You can actually type in any value you want--0030 is 30 seconds. 0300 would be a 5 minute skip.
Frequent Visitor

I understand that; re-read my post. I can't get to the point where I can enter the numbers.

Frequent Visitor

I have a few series recordings where the show is repeated on different channels (e.g., PTI on ESPN, ESPN2, etc.) How can I record just one showing?

Frequent Visitor

@BondMan007 wrote:
Blackhorse16a,

Press 'Exit' 3 times then '0030'.

Now the page up button should skip ahead 30 seconds and the page down buton goes back 15 seconds. You can actually type in any value you want--0030 is 30 seconds. 0300 would be a 5 minute skip.
BondMan007,
I finally got it.  It appears that only 5 minutes and 30 seconds are supported. Itried other times, but no go. Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

When scheduling a recording you can select "this channel only".

Frequent Visitor

Anyone using an Eye TV HD with the X1 box?

I have not been able to get the EyeTV HD to control the X1 remote box.

I have to manually set the channel to record, then it works fine, but that removes the ability to schedule future programs.

New Poster

Can anyone provide me with information on how to obtain an X1 remote that can controll the volume of my Onkyo AVR?  The tech/sales people i keep getting at 1-800-comcast say it dosent exist in Houston.

Also if anyone that works on the X1 is reading , channels 601 FOXHD and 613 ABCHD do not show in the guide when sorted by HD.

**edit: forgot to ask, does anyone know what the resolution diffrence is between just 1080P ,1080P TAB and 1080p SBS?

Thank you!