Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Frequent Visitor

New x1 install Question

TIA for some newbie help.
I'm considering the switch from DTV (genie whole home + 3 hd satellites) to the X1 in a 4 room setup
Would I go with 1 X1 HD-DVR and 3 X1 Non-DVR's?
I think I have read that the non-DVR's can not "manage" recorded content ( add new, delete old ) and they can not pause, fwd, rew, live tv ? If I want this capability would I have to have all 4 be hd-DVR's?
If so, would all recordings be consolidated in one central "view/access point"?
Thanks again.
Frequent Visitor

Sacramento Area Question

Probably for Larry.
I've spent hours and hours reading and understanding the X1 platform.
One thing that jumps out is that different areas have different problems, successes, schedules, features, etc etc.
Is there a way to find out how "complete" my area is? (Roseville 95747, suburb of Sacramento)
The Comcast sales guy said it is ready to go. I just got my DOCSIS modem upgrade and am pulling over 50 MBps.
Just wondering if the area is really ready for X1?
Thanks.
Contributor

Remote not turning off STB

I think this is a big enough to merit its own thread. When will this bug be fixed?

Contributor

Queue on X1

When is that coming?

Contributor

Native output

Why no Native output. A TV which can support HD (720P or 1080i) can surely support SD resolutions natively. Why upconvert it if the user doesnt want it to. Moto Natives have that option

Contributor

X1 STB - no dig coax but two HDMI in with no function

Could the STB be designed with a digital Coax output instead of two disabled HDMI inputs? The savings in space and electronics could have benefited customers who have maxed out their optical inputs.

Almost all receivers support digital coax and there is no proof that optical is any better than digital coax

Frequent Visitor

Re: The remote's All Power button will turn off the TV but not X1 Box .

And/or it might cost more. So have the remote turn the Box's Green LED light off and save power--just a switch.

Frequent Visitor

Seems like turning the green LED or the x1 Box Off is a common problem and does cost the consumer money, please to fix. doesn't take a Genius just someone with the know-how which you must have and I realize you have more important problems to deal with but this is $ for consumers so what is seriously the holdup.

Will it cost you Big bucks? If so then can I get my old remote back--the Silver with Gray OK-Select Button for free? And will it work with the new dx1 box?

Frequent Visitor

Never mind they keep the boxes ON to be updated hopefully when there finished they will turn off and may be bugs with the DX1, and the only way to find them is by having them out among the users.!

Regular Contributor

Re: Sacramento Area Question

@SacSteve wrote:
Probably for Larry.
I've spent hours and hours reading and understanding the X1 platform.
One thing that jumps out is that different areas have different problems, successes, schedules, features, etc etc.
Is there a way to find out how "complete" my area is? (Roseville 95747, suburb of Sacramento)
The Comcast sales guy said it is ready to go. I just got my DOCSIS modem upgrade and am pulling over 50 MBps.
Just wondering if the area is really ready for X1?
Thanks.

SacSteve i dont know if the X1 is available in Roseville yet but i live in downtown Sacramento and have the X1 for over a week and it has a few bugs that need to be fixed but i think it will be a better cable box when they fix the bugs.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Robert.  That is good to know that it is somewhat working as defined.  The sales guy says it is available for us.  He is calling me back at 2 today.  I'm tempted, but this forum has done a great job at exposing that it is a new and "buggy" system that needs to get cleaned up.  It appears that X2 is just a few months away.  I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

If you could explain for me ..... does a multi-room system us all HD-DVR's, or do you only use one with additional non-DVR "satellites"?  I just can't seem to get a handle on the setup and cost.

Thanks,  Steve

Regular Contributor

SacSteve i only have one tv hooked up to a Comcast DVR which is the X1 and my main problem with the X1 is that sometimes the remote is a little sluggish at times on changing the channel or even trying to set up a program to be recorded in the future.

Frequent Visitor

Ah.  Got it.  Did you upgrade to the DOCSIS 3.0 modem?  ie, are you getting better than 50Mbps download, 10Mbps upload?  Since the cloud is playing some sort of role in the X1 platform, I'm wondering how internet speed impacts this.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Go to settings/device settings/overview/.  See the last two selections

New Poster

The Comcast Xfinity X1 Service

How do current customers go about upgrading the rental equipment to the X1 platform?

Can you purchase a X1 DVR through comcast or another retailer if you don't like to rent?

Regular Contributor

No reply yet.  I was told to wait 72 hours.  Times up.  I have a ticket numberand will call today

New Poster

Hello,

I just got an Xfinity X1 box. 

For some reason ALL channels output at 1080i. I want it to flip back and forth based on the channel. (For example Discovery should be 1080i, ESPN 720p).

I know there's an option to "force" 720p, but where is the "native" option??

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment [ New ]
Options
‎07-15-2013 01:27 PM

Hello,

I just got an Xfinity X1 box.

For some reason ALL channels output at 1080i. I want it to flip back and forth based on the channel. (For example Discovery should be 1080i, ESPN 720p).

I know there's an option to "force" 720p, but where is the "native" option??

--------------------------------------------------------

That is a feature that has been requested and Comcast is looking into.
Problem Solver

@rainbow_trout wrote:

And/or it might cost more. So have the remote turn the Box's Green LED light off and save power--just a switch.

The power usage is about the same either way it would seem.  It was a usablity related change that Comcast made not too long ago in a firmware update to simplfy things.

That said, it looks like the latest firmware update now has a power save option along with a screen saver option (both can be found in device settings section of the menu).  So, you can set the power saver option to turn on after a set time, and that will turn the box off on its own after that period time (since you last used the box) passes.

Contributor

I live in Citrus Heights 95610, About 5 miles from Roseville and I have had X1 since mid Nay. It is working very well for me now. Had a few minor issues before the last two upgrades but work pretty well now. I only have 1 HD-DVR box so I don't know about multi-room  or anything like that but straight usage on a single HD-DVR is good. No problems with surround sound or HDMI handshake. Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

@SacSteve wrote:

Ah.  Got it.  Did you upgrade to the DOCSIS 3.0 modem?  ie, are you getting better than 50Mbps download, 10Mbps upload?  Since the cloud is playing some sort of role in the X1 platform, I'm wondering how internet speed impacts this.

I was under the impression that the DOCSIS 3.0 modems in the X1 boxes are on their own ultra fast speed tier independant of the internet speed tier plan on the account.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in 08054 and had X1 installed over the weekend.  Overall the install went well.  The tech was here a little over an hour and swapped out two boxes for a new DVR and client.  Initially he said the signal was too weak and that he'd probably have to add an amplifier.   Instead, I asked that we consolidate some of the old splitters that had been left over from the previous homeowner.  That did the trick and so far (knock on wood) we haven't had any issues.

I have to say that I'm very excited about the new guide and service.  Compared with the SA-8300HD I was using before these new boxes are fantastic. 

One feature that I really like is the integration of the Guide, DVR, and OND for a series view.  Since the old DVR was taken away with unwatched recordings it is very nice to be able to search for those series, schedule the season recording and then jump to the missing episodes on OND.

One feature request:  For the IOS app, add basic 'search by text' to the app.  We can already search by voice but sometimes it is easier to type the string than have the app interpret (incorrectly) the voice.

Also, does MyDVR work with X1?  I know it didn't with my old box.  It'd be nice to be able to bring up the Xfinitiy guide on my iPad and use it to schedule a recording on the DVR.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: X1 – GUIDE REQUEST

For the love of all that is good, can someone PLEASE add a way to advance the guide ONE DAY at a time??  Setting up the DVR is a joke.  If I want to set up a show that is a few days out I have to click the right arrow until it reaches 3 days...and the guide already is slow and laggy, so this is ridiculous.  I can set it up online, but it should not be that way.  It should not be so hard to set up my DVR like this when I am going away.  I am coming from FIOS and I have to say their guide and DVR functionality seems 100x more user friendly.  

Suggestions:

1.  Allow FULL DAY skips of the guide.

2.  Add some COLOR bars to the guide, not just the little color strip at the start of the show box.  VERY hard to read and figure out what things are.  

3.  Fix the button lag.  Sometimes takes several second for the button to react and by the time it does I have already pressed it 5 times and it reads them all at once finally.

Regular Contributor

I have two boxes holding steady at 1080

Regular Contributor

My installation took two visits.  The first was 4 hours the second was 3 hours and would have taken longer if I hadn't observed what it took 4 ours for the first guy to figure out.  There is an obvious lack of training and understanding at all tech levels as well as numerous software problems.  

New Poster

Picture on X1 box

How do I get the channel I select to take up the entire screen on the TV. It  is only showing in the upper left quadrant.

Problem Solver

Re: Picture on X1 box

Where/how are you selecting the channel?

Regular Visitor

X1 came to cape coral, Fl yesterday

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 – GUIDE REQUEST

If you know the show you want to record, I've found that it is easier to use Search to find the Series and then schedule the recording.  It's a lot easier then trying to find it in the Guide and having to span several days one hour at a time.

Contributor

Does Comcast support multiple X1 DVR's in the same house now and in the future?  I have conflicting info from Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

I was just told by tech support that yes, you can have multiple X1 DVR's.  Their recorded content is unique to them and can not be shared to the others.

To have "whole home" you would have to have 1 DVR and the others would be "clients".  The downside to this (for me) is that the clients can not set a recording, or control live tv (pause, skip, fwd, rew, etc).

Frankly ... the X1 platform is technically inferior to Dish or Direct in regard to using recordings or live tv control.

I can't believe that their hardware is still short of where the satellite guys have been for 5 years.

But, X1 certainly could offer the best User Interface and features though.

To the moderator of this board ... please correct me where I'm wrong as I'm working hard to understand the system.  The sales team has no clue.  Tech has been better.  Thanks.

Problem Solver

@Newx1user wrote:

Does Comcast support multiple X1 DVR's in the same house now and in the future?  I have conflicting info from Comcast.

Yes, you can have multiple X1 (DVR and/or non-DVR boxes) in the same house, and you can also have them all connected in an AnyRoom DVR setup.  The AnyRoom DVR feature is something that was just recently made available for the X1 platform, so it's still in the early stages of rolling out across all the regions that support X1, so some locations might not have it fully enabled yet or are just in the process of setting it up and might not have it all worked out fully.

Problem Solver

@SacSteve wrote:

I was just told by tech support that yes, you can have multiple X1 DVR's.  Their recorded content is unique to them and can not be shared to the others.

To have "whole home" you would have to have 1 DVR and the others would be "clients".  The downside to this (for me) is that the clients can not set a recording, or control live tv (pause, skip, fwd, rew, etc).

Frankly ... the X1 platform is technically inferior to Dish or Direct in regard to using recordings or live tv control.

I can't believe that their hardware is still short of where the satellite guys have been for 5 years.

But, X1 certainly could offer the best User Interface and features though.

To the moderator of this board ... please correct me where I'm wrong as I'm working hard to understand the system.  The sales team has no clue.  Tech has been better.  Thanks.

You can't control live TV on the "client" non-DVR boxes (as they basically don't have a hard drive in them), but you should be able to do pretty much all other DVR-related functions, like setting up recordings on the main shared DVR.

Regular Contributor

hi. Congrats! Say what exact make and model number did you get (other than comcast rngxxxx or comcast x1 dvr model nomenclature)? TY!

Frequent Visitor

I certainly thought you'd be able to start a recording from RNG150N client.  This is the top non-DVR box.  The only one made to support "any room DVR".   But she told me yesterday ... "No".  

Right now, on Direct TV, the client can not pause live tv either.  But we just hit record and then begin watching the recording which is then about 5-10 seconds behind the live tv.  We can then pause and take care of the distraction.

To your second post, you are correct, some areas just do not have "any room" sharing turned on yet.  The sales guy said he honestly did not know if my zip or street was "any room".  That is why I reached out to others in my zip.

Problem Solver

@jkdood wrote:

hi. Congrats! Say what exact make and model number did you get (other than comcast rngxxxx or comcast x1 dvr model nomenclature)? TY!

It doesn't seem like there are any other boxes aside from Pace ones (a DVR model a non-DVR model).

Problem Solver

@SacSteve wrote:

I certainly thought you'd be able to start a recording from RNG150N client.  This is the top non-DVR box.  The only one made to support "any room DVR".   But she told me yesterday ... "No".  

Right now, on Direct TV, the client can not pause live tv either.  But we just hit record and then begin watching the recording which is then about 5-10 seconds behind the live tv.  We can then pause and take care of the distraction.

To your second post, you are correct, some areas just do not have "any room" sharing turned on yet.  The sales guy said he honestly did not know if my zip or street was "any room".  That is why I reached out to others in my zip.

From what I recall reading about the X1 version of AnyRoom DVR is that you should be able to set recordings from the associated non-DVR boxes.

Regular Contributor

@C_DM wrote:

@SacSteve wrote:

From what I recall reading about the X1 version of AnyRoom DVR is that you should be able to set recordings from the associated non-DVR boxes.

I have one X1 DVR and one X1 client (non-DVR).  I can confirm in Atlanta (30324) that I can set, delete, and modify recordings and series. Pausing and rewinding live TV is not possible on the non-DVR; however, I can hit the record button while watching a show, and that will start the recording.

Contributor

Yes, you can have multiple X1 (DVR and/or non-DVR boxes) in the same house, and you can also have them all connected in an AnyRoom DVR setup.  The AnyRoom DVR feature is something that was just recently made available for the X1 platform, so it's still in the early stages of rolling out across all the regions that support X1, so some locations might not have it fully enabled yet or are just in the process of setting it up and might not have it all worked out fully.

I am asking because  I have two x1 DVR's.

They were conflicting (one was overwriting the others scheduled recordings).

It was fixed by turning off the AnyRoom billing code, that fix lasted 1 week.

The billing code got turned off they went back into a conflict.

Got Anyroom billing code turned back off was told no guarantee this would stay fixed.

Picked up Motorola DVR and installed it.  Then 3 days later the conflict went away again.

If Comcast can not guarantee that they will continue to resolve the two X1 DVR problem I will need to keep one X1 and one Motorola DVR so that they will not communicate. I got the impression that Comcast wanted everyone to move to AnyRoom and away from multiple X1 DVR's

Silver Problem Solver

@Newx1user wrote:

I have two X1 DVR's and two PR150's.  I started out without AnyRoom. Each DVR was independent of the other.  The two PR150's were not able to play recordings on either DVR. Then I had the codes added to my account for AnyRoom.  Now, the two DVR's are able to play a recording that is on the other one.  And my two PR150's are able to play any recording on either DVR, with some changes.  Each PR150 is given the chance to choose which DVR is the default.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure if I change the default DVR I will be able to play recordings on the other DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

yes whether called x1 or x2 or x5 it seems these are all still the boxes made by pace.

and there are so many issues and problems.

the new hardware from arris is supposed to solve many issues.

and be deployed 3rd quarter 2013 (now)

any updates on when these boxes are arriving or if anyone gets them right now

today> check your rear labels for manufacturer name (arris? arris-moto?) and model number (mg2402?)

ps comcast assigns model number rngxxxx (residential network gateway 1234 etc, this is

not the model number we wish to know!!)

Problem Solver

@jkdood wrote:

yes whether called x1 or x2 or x5 it seems these are all still the boxes made by pace.

and there are so many issues and problems.

the new hardware from arris is supposed to solve many issues.

and be deployed 3rd quarter 2013 (now)

any updates on when these boxes are arriving or if anyone gets them right now

today> check your rear labels for manufacturer name (arris? arris-moto?) and model number (mg2402?)

ps comcast assigns model number rngxxxx (residential network gateway 1234 etc, this is

not the model number we wish to know!!)

There are issues because these are still new boxes with new software.  Chances are any newer boxes will have issues too--just the nature of the beast.  Given the announcements made by Comcast at the recent cable show (a month ago) it's likely any new X2, 3, 5, etc. related hardware that was mentioned won't be out until quite a bit later this year at best, if not even next year (and even then it'll likely start in fairly limited markets and grow from there, similarly to how things were done for a while with X1 initially).

Regular Contributor

thank you for comments cdm!

i had just seen several media reports that there was expected to be volume deployment in 3rd quarter 2013  (arris for comcast under rdk), which is now, perhaps h/w eq mg2402.

of course there will be test markets and initial beta deployments. I was hoping someone posting in these forums about getting
new box for x1" might report they have started to roll! we can then see how they work, if trying to request one is not only feasible, possible, but sensible!

best wishes!

Contributor

Visitor

Visitor

x1 reset and surround sound

Have had X1 now for about 2 weeks.I've had 5 techs out to the house in that time.I have 1 main DVR and two remote X1 HD box one in my garage and one in my bedroom.No issues with the one in the garage except video changes back to 720p randomly.The box in my bed room has to be rebooted every morning.The box turns on and I have picture and sound but when I hit menu or info on remote picture size gets smaller and nothing else happens.I can hit exit and screen returns to normal size but no menu no guide no info.I was told I have low signal.The signal would have to be increased at the pole.My last tech told me my signal was fine,and with the signal I have they would never increase the signal.Well this past weekend I ran new RG6 cable and routed the cable a shorter distance from the splitter.Also there was a double male connection piecing to cables together.After running new cable for both bedroom and garage boxs and resetting everything.I called X1 support and asked them to check my signal's.They said everything was in the green.100% signal.I'm thinking problem solved.But no had to reset box this morning.Funny thing is once it is reset works great until the next morning.The issue I have with the main DVR box is I can't get the surround sound option to take effect.It always reverts back to stereo.Only my center and right speaker work. No sound from other speaker's.And no I am not using HDMI I using fiber optic cable.I see other people have the surround issue.All box have lastest software June 22.Having a tech come out is useless I know more about the X1 platform than they do.And  everything that could be done has been done.Do I just wait for updates.I'm a little upset Comcast is having these issues when X1 has 's been in other markets a lot longer,are they still having isues.ie  Atlanta,Denver, Boston.Hope the next update is a large one and corrects these issues.I'm in San Francisco area. 

New Poster

The new remote is not very user friendly like the old remote was. Where and how to I go to the next day on the guide? I can page p and down but the old remote you use to be ale to go day to day.
New Poster

I also think the box is loud the fan runs constantly and it is loud. the fan even runs when i have turned the box off by hand. My other question is why does the green power button not turn off when you select the all power button? I have to go and physically push the button each time.
Silver Problem Solver

@MMEvans wrote:
The new remote is not very user friendly like the old remote was. Where and how to I go to the next day on the guide? I can page p and down but the old remote you use to be ale to go day to day.

There is no way to page by day with the new guide.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@MMEvans wrote:
I also think the box is loud the fan runs constantly and it is loud. the fan even runs when i have turned the box off by hand. My other question is why does the green power button not turn off when you select the all power button? I have to go and physically push the button each time.

That is the way they made it work, for whatever reason.  I went into Settings and set mine to go into powersave after 2 hours.  Then the light goes off.  But it still runs.

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment- powersave

Can anyone explain the purpose of power save ?
Frequent Visitor

I saw the problem where the box reverted to default settings last night.  I noticed that the clock and power button were very bright.  Went into settings and saw the box had reverted the video resolution back to 720P and the brightness, while still showing 1, was high.

I also saw an odd problem while watching DVR.  I could see a ghost image of one of the info panes on the right side of the screen.  It almost looked like burn-in but was much clearer.  It almost looked like the info 'overlay' wasn't completely removed from the screen after the video started.  Pausing the video, bringing up info and a few other menus, then exiting and restarting the show resolved the problem.